Kai Episode 9 (31 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:01 am

Kai

Orange
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Kai

Orange

Why did they even redraw that...?

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:14 am

I finally took the time and got caught up with Kai, watched three episodes in a row.

It's not bad, but maybe moving a bit too fast. They removed the scene where Nappa reads Krillin, Gohan, and Piccolo's power levels, even though it's a canon scene, and it made the start of the fight come up too quick in my opinion.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 pm

DongHyun wrote:Dragon Ball Kai Episode 9, New Eyecatches Download Please....
Eyecath 3 HD ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_No8jAdkooU

MajinKing
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinKing » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:15 am

Vino wrote:http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... aiep9A.png

That scene just looks terrible, are they even trying?
Come on, give them some credit. Most of the frames are not realy like that anyway. Well I am actualy starting to watch DBK. I like it! The new backgrounds look awesome! So do some of the redrawn action scenes. So does some of the new animation improve in later episodes?
90% of dragonball fans detest dragonballgt. If you are one of the 10% who like GT, post this in your signature.

Read my DBGT Remake fanfic! http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=9747
Read my DBAF fanfic, it has terrible writing the first few chapters but I improve in later ones, http://anime.myfavoritegames.com/creative-corner/fanworks-library/101320-dragonballaf.html

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 am

sangofe wrote:

Why did they even redraw that...?
To make Nappa look awesome.

"HEY VUH-GEE-DUH!"
­

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 am

I was going to make a new thread for this, but to make things easier on Mike, I'm just going to put it here.

So, earlier tonight I was working on kanzentai's review of episode 9 and I found something quite interesting, or should I say, disappointing. As far as I'm concerned, this has to be one of the biggest screw ups in Kai so far and really makes it appear they're rushing through this. Some things like this used to happen back in the day using traditional animation due to the massive amounts of cels to look through (like forgetting to color in the white around the "Kame" symbol on Goku's dougi), but with modern digital animation, this really shouldn't be happening. Anyway, I'm copying this straight from our review, which isn't up yet, but I just had to share this.
Kanzentai's [i]DragonBall Kai[/i] Episode 009 Review wrote:For the first time in the series, we see re-animated scenes shown in the next episode preview. In a way, this is somewhat surprising, considering in previous episodes scenes shown in the next episode preview were left as-is, but were eventually re-animated in the next episode. However, if they're going to do this, they need to make sure they don't rush things and double check the re-animated material. That being said, I present to you one of the biggest mistakes to date in DragonBall Kai. I don't know if someone was editing this shot, but before exporting the footage, they forgot to turn one of the animation layers back to visible in their editing program. As Tenshinhan fires his Kikoho, the ki flashes around his hand and you can clearly see that the layer that is supposed to be flashing has been set as transparent. How this got passed inspection is beyond me, but it's very disheartening to see. Just... wow!

Other than this obvious flaw, the rest of the shot looks pretty good. I especially like the shading. So, does anyone have a comment about this? :shock:
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 am

I can't believed no-one at Toei noticed that. :?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 am

I first dismissed the flaw as some Macro blocking in the encode since I wasn't paying much attention, however I'm not really surprised as the quality of the "re-drawn" scenes has been pretty poor throughout, and doesn't exactly glow with high production values.

Honestly I think the work isn't held to a high enough standard, all of the "re-drawn" scenes look worse in terms of colour and line work, which makes it completely pointless.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:41 am

Those "redrawn" scenes really look like crap, I can do better in flash. =__=

What makes it worse that the redrawn scenes are so standing out than the original footage, its like they show a clean shot, then a horribly blurred lines from the old footage.

I really hope Freeza saga is better than this.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm

You guys must have VERY good memory or VERY good eyes, or both. I can't notice any redrawn scenes unless you point it out. I couldn't even see the weird blu effects during the fight with Raditz until I saw paused frames of it.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Tenshinhan has a new checkerbox-kikoho?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Wow. That blows all previous errors out of the water. This is just... :shock:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:26 pm

I think it's more the quality-check stage that's failing more than the re-animators. If they were told to "do it again" so to speak, I'm sure they would have put more effort into it thinking they didn't do so well the first time. Does anyone know the process at TOEi? Because this is obviously a rush job (no offense to Wasted Wisher or the animators, more to the company).

Still...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Dragon Ball Kai started off looking like it would be a totally redrawn series, and it's ended up looking like someone's YouTube project.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Luckily it's just a preview, someone at Toei is bound to notice and fix this by the time it airs.

I just finished watching this episode, it was ok, nothing specail, but I was disappointed they kept the TV crew, I guess they did it to show Puar's emotion

By the way, what does Saibaiman mean? I never knew

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Some things I noticed that weren't pointed out by Herms.

When Vegeta tells Nappa that they should search for the man with the highest battle power on the planet, he originally presumes that the man who murdered Raditz might have been Kakarot's son. This assumption was left out in DragonBall Kai.

In the manga, Vegeta is the one who says that he found the strongest man on the planet. He also adds that the scouter is reading two persons with a high battle power. In DragonBall Kai, this line is given to Nappa.

Kuririn wondering whether the Saiya-jins were going towards Tenshinhan and Chaozu or Piccolo and Gohan was removed.

After Kamesennin explains why he shouldn't go fight the Saiya-jins, and that they should all be praying for them, Puar originally had a line where he says "Don't die, mister Yamucha". This was removed in DragonBall Kai.

After Nappa reveals that Piccolo is from planet Namek, Kuririn originally questioned Piccolo if was an alien, adding that he had already thought of that. Gohan also asks if it's true. This bit was omitted in DragonBall Kai.

Before Vegeta asks Nappa to grow the Saibamen, he originally had a line where he said that after they showed Gohan, Kuririn and Piccolo what they could do, they would willingly tell them about the Dragon Balls.

Kuririn saying that the Saibaimen look pretty strong, and Piccolo reinstating it was left out.

Before Tenshinhan begins to fight with the Saibaman, Chaozu cherishs Tenshinhan. This was removed

After the Saibaiman is defeated by Tenshinhan, Nappa originally had a line shouting "what happened...?"

Nappa telling the Saibaiman to go for it with everything he got this time was left out.

Kuririn shouting "Yamucha" after Yamucha is killed was removed.

I'm not sure if everything is correct. Herms, if you can, I'd appreciate if you could doublecheck these.

MajinKing
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinKing » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:09 pm

They also left out the part when piccolo and goku say that raditz is fast at the start of the fight and also when raditz says that their defense is not bad. They are rushing it. I know I said I liked it in a early comment but my opinion is changing. Still is pretty much worth the watch though.
90% of dragonball fans detest dragonballgt. If you are one of the 10% who like GT, post this in your signature.

Read my DBGT Remake fanfic! http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=9747
Read my DBAF fanfic, it has terrible writing the first few chapters but I improve in later ones, http://anime.myfavoritegames.com/creative-corner/fanworks-library/101320-dragonballaf.html

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 pm

MajinKing wrote:They also left out the part when piccolo and goku say that raditz is fast at the start of the fight and also when raditz says that their defense is not bad. They are rushing it. I know I said I liked it in a early comment but my opinion is changing. Still is pretty much worth the watch though.
I think you may be posting in the wrong thread since everything you mentioned happened way back in episode 2. Trust me, there's been a lot of things left out between that and where we are now. ;)
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:58 pm

Rod wrote:By the way, what does Saibaiman mean? I never knew
Their name comes from combining saibai, "cultivation", with "man", so they're the Cultivation Men.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.