Toriyama's Contributions to the Anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Toriyama's Contributions to the Anime

Post by Herms » Sat May 22, 2010 11:32 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Also, do you know if he had any involvement with the Jump special?
Yeah, I already wrote about that:
Jump Super Anime Tour Special
General Idea
From the start, the Jump Super Anime Tour special was promoted as being based on a story by Toriyama. And in fact, the opening credits to the special credit Toriyama with the first draft (原案), in addition to his usual credit in anime openings as the creator of the original work (原作; ie the manga). The actual script for the special is, however, credited as being written by Takao Koyama, the same man responsible for all the DBZ movie scripts. So Toriyama did come up with the basis for the story, but he didn’t flat-out write the finished version . Still, this represents more involvement from Toriyama than any of the other DB/Z movies got.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Has he done any interviews regarding anime since the Jump special came out?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Dayspring wrote:Has he done any interviews regarding anime since the Jump special came out?
I don't believe so. I think that latest interviews with him were in the Super Exciting Guides, and those stick to the manga.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Herms wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Has he done any interviews regarding anime since the Jump special came out?
I don't believe so. I think that latest interviews with him were in the Super Exciting Guides, and those stick to the manga.
Speaking of the SEGs, was the ''SSJ = BP x50, SSJ2 = SSJ Strength x2 and SSJ3 = SSJ2 Strength x4'' comment taken from Toriyama/Tori-bot, or were they just in the guides as supplemental info.

Back on-topic: Did he have any involvement regarding Kai? It seems pretty straight cut, but things like Bardock at the beginning isn't exactly how the Saiyan saga of the manga started.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun May 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Dayspring wrote:Speaking of the SEGs, was the ''SSJ = BP x50, SSJ2 = SSJ Strength x2 and SSJ3 = SSJ2 Strength x4'' comment taken from Toriyama/Tori-bot, or were they just in the guides as supplemental info.
They're captions to the pictures of the various Super Saiyan forms in the Training EX section, and aren't attributed to Toriyama.
Back on-topic: Did he have any involvement regarding Kai? It seems pretty straight cut, but things like Bardock at the beginning isn't exactly how the Saiyan saga of the manga started.
Oh that's right, he was supposed to have come up with the name "Kai" as well, like with "Z" and "GT". I'll need to add that when I track down the source. Other than that, I don't think he's had any involvement.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 23, 2010 11:54 pm

Is there any additional or more detailed information to be given about the GT ship? I'm having a hard time figuring out the thing's layout or internal structure from watching the show.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon May 24, 2010 7:14 am

Kaboom wrote:Is there any additional or more detailed information to be given about the GT ship?
Or how did Bulma built it? Since they had to use Saiyan or Namek technology in the past to go into outer space.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 24, 2010 7:40 am

I`m somewhat confused. Did Toriyama design all the movie characters that appear on this guide? I didn`t understand what exactly was his input into each of those characters.

EDIT: never mind. After checking the daizex website I understand now.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Mon May 24, 2010 11:58 am

That last scan is awesome. With just a single quick look at Trunks and his annoyed cock eyed glare you can totally tell that he's from the Boo era timeline . It's amazing how a single early image can convey this better then the entire series.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon May 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Herms wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Also, do you know if he had any involvement with the Jump special?
Yeah, I already wrote about that:
Jump Super Anime Tour Special
General Idea
From the start, the Jump Super Anime Tour special was promoted as being based on a story by Toriyama. And in fact, the opening credits to the special credit Toriyama with the first draft (原案), in addition to his usual credit in anime openings as the creator of the original work (原作; ie the manga). The actual script for the special is, however, credited as being written by Takao Koyama, the same man responsible for all the DBZ movie scripts. So Toriyama did come up with the basis for the story, but he didn’t flat-out write the finished version . Still, this represents more involvement from Toriyama than any of the other DB/Z movies got.
Wow, reading fail on my part. Thanks for that.
Blue wrote:That last scan is awesome. With just a single quick look at Trunks and his annoyed cock eyed glare you can totally tell that he's from the Boo era timeline . It's amazing how a single early image can convey this better then the entire series.
I know, I was thinking the same thing.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon May 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Looking at those pictures DBGT had everything to be an awesome series... a shame!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Yeah, Toriyama makes GT look gooood.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue May 25, 2010 1:35 pm

OK, I've updated the first post with the scans Hujio so generously provided.
Kaboom wrote:Is there any additional or more detailed information to be given about the GT ship? I'm having a hard time figuring out the thing's layout or internal structure from watching the show.
Unfortunately I think that's about it. There's nothing more detailed (or even as detailed) as Toriyama's note in the GT Perfect Files.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Did Akira Toriyama designed the characters for the new special?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue May 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Herms wrote:OK, I've updated the first post with the scans Hujio so generously provided.
Kaboom wrote:Is there any additional or more detailed information to be given about the GT ship? I'm having a hard time figuring out the thing's layout or internal structure from watching the show.
Unfortunately I think that's about it. There's nothing more detailed (or even as detailed) as Toriyama's note in the GT Perfect Files.
That's okay, I stumbled upon some really good stuff on my own. GT Episode 15 alone provided a LOT of clear, spacious, and quite informative views of the ship both inside and out. I took a lot of screencaps, and may center a little thread around them sometime soon. Might even sketch up some "schematics" or what-not.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 am

Senzu_Bean wrote:Did Akira Toriyama designed the characters for the new special?
The opening of the special credits Naoyoshi Yamamuro as doing the character designs. The Japanese Wikipedia page for the special does say that Toriyama helped out with the character designs, but it doesn't give any source for this, so...

Speaking of which, Hujio and I haven't been able to find anything official confirming that Toriyama named DB Kai. The Japanese Wikipedia page for Kai says this, but again it doesn't give any source.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 26, 2010 10:47 am

Blue wrote:That last scan is awesome. With just a single quick look at Trunks and his annoyed cock eyed glare you can totally tell that he's from the Boo era timeline . It's amazing how a single early image can convey this better then the entire series.
Not really seeing where you're coming from with this. I thought it was portrayed well enough in the series. Hell, he wears that exact same expression multiple times.