Did Toriyama draw DBE Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Did Toriyama draw DBE Goku?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm

I remember seeing a long time ago a drawing of Goku from Evolution by Toriyama. Was that real? If yes, does anyone have the pic?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Did Toriyama draw DBE Goku?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

I found the picture I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... USWb2mXDZg
Is it from Toriyama? Anyone having a better quality of it?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed May 23, 2012 2:24 pm

To my knowledge, I think it's just fan art. But I think it's good fan art. Wouldn't mind seeing a Piccolo version like that. But yeah I don't think it's Toriyama's drawing.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Looks like Toriyama's, IMO.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 pm

It looks a lot like Toriyama's current style to me.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Yeah, it does, but that doesn't mean he drew it. Nakatsuru has proven that countless times in the past. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 23, 2012 6:16 pm

That's Toriyama's sketch of Ayumi Hamasaki as Goku for her CD single release of Rule.

They do look to have similar style, but the Goku one doesn't have Toriyama's signature, while the Ayumi sketch does have one.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Chatku? I've got that Toriyama scan buried somewhere in my old imageshack account.
*digs*
Here he is!

I've never seen that full color piece with the red background before though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 am

Chuquita wrote:Image
Wasn't this from Toyble?

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 am

Sure looks like he did. It's strangely reminiscent of Justin Chatwin.

EDIT: Talking about the first one with red background...
Last edited by dprez on Thu May 24, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 24, 2012 1:07 am

That's how long ago it's been; I've forgotten, the one I posted is by Toyble.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Image
I remember seeing this artwork on Pixiv or somewhere like that. It's definitely fanart.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu May 24, 2012 2:06 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Image
Wasn't this from Toyble?
It was indeed. The text says "the legend becomes a reality?"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 25, 2012 4:56 pm

kei17 wrote:I remember seeing this artwork on Pixiv or somewhere like that. It's definitely fanart.
So it's a fanart after all. Thanks.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 26, 2012 5:11 am

Oh hey, that's my video!
kei17 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Image
I remember seeing this artwork on Pixiv or somewhere like that. It's definitely fanart.

Yup. Here's a link to the author's page.