Fan Project - Ultimate Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:38 pm

Wow, I've been thinking about the same thing lately! I'm a sucker for retellings like that and, needless to say, a huge fan of the Ultimate line. Whereas many people just don't like huge changes, I love those neat ideas like what they did with Black Widow in the Ultimates, although there are still some limits. For example, whereas I like most of your ideas, I don't thing making Goku a punk would be a good one. Youhave to be careful with the ubermain characters, messing with them too much can be risky. Of course Goku's backstory is not too realistic and needs some tweaking in the perspective of your AU, but try to capture the overall spirit. And android Chi-Chi and Gyuu-Mao? Certainly bizarre, I don't see many storytelling opportunities here, and besides - when you get to the actual Android Saga, it will seem that you're repeating yourself.

Another thing - someone suggested meddling with the timeline a little bit. Not a good idea. Western comic books, especially the old ones, consist of relatively short stories, with lots of excess plotlines (of which many were insignificant and quickly forgotten). The very aim of Ultimate line was to trim it down, get rid of the baggage. However, DB/Z is made of comparetively few long sagas, all of which are pretty crucial, so I would left the basic timeline alone.

When I red about Pilaf as a crime lord I couldn't help but remember the midget crime boss from the latest Punisher MAX series (anyone here read those?). Damn, that was funny.

And to wrap my post up, here are a few design sketches by Son Rhandi (had a great Ginyu Force sit once), for a fanfic that seems to follow the same basic rules.
Ginyu Force
Freeza?
Zarbon and Dodoria, I think
Burter
Ginyu
Personally, I love 'em.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:02 am

Changing Goku's attitude completely changes the entire appeal of the original Dragonball. Sorry, but it's a bad idea.

The ultimates line does indeed make changes, but not so much that it totally changes the foundations.

Goku is Goku. There's no changing that.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:44 am

If I were to adapt Dragonball to something of present day, I'd make it start out with Goku as a teen instead of preteen, make Yamcha rich, create more foreshadowing elements into Goku's heritage but also make sure the story stays as to not use elements from DBZ, but most importantly; take place in present day Earth and be an adventure/action/drama/romance story in a live action primetime show. The following is a cast and script for a first episode, enjoy, this program has been brought to you by me:

Tom Welling: Goku/Kakarrot / Bardock
Jessica Alba: Bulma
Jenson Ackles: Yamcha
Kyle Gallner: Krillin
Laura Bailey: Chichi
Dan Joffre: Oolong
Patrick Stewart: Roshi

Dragon Ball

Episode Title: Beginnings

*Somewhere on another planet with a red sky, a warrior clad father with a tail puts a baby boy in a round spaceship after he does so with 2 others*

Bardock: My son, I am only able to save you and a few others. I wish I could go with you, but don't worry, my fate is already set. I wish I could change my destiny, yours too, but it's too late. Keep within you the pride of our proud race, live with honor after I die with pride. Good-bye my son.

*The warrior clad man launches the infants into the vastness of space from the ground, he smiles as he now looks into a different direction in the sky*

Bardock: I may die, but my flesh and blood will live on.

*An angry face goes on his face*

Bardock: I'm coming for you!

*The man lowers his body somewhat in a stance and puts a hand in a "Neo" gesture, takes flight into the sky, and a bright light approaches the camera seconds after he leaves sight*

*The bright light fades out as the camera now is at a forest on Earth where an old man is walking along peacefully, but soon enough stumbles upon a small crater*

Gohan: Dear Lord in Heaven, what is it?

*The smoke clears and the sound of a metal door opening takes effect, now he walks down the crater to see what it is and finds an infant boy sucking on a thumb*

Gohan: What in the world? Where did you come from little guy?

*He picks the boy up in his hands*

Gohan: Well since your parents are clearly not from around here, I think I'll keep an eye on you, it's better than being a lone ol' hermit. Now to think of a name. Hmm.

*The boy hits the old man on his forearm and actually causes a slight pain*

Gohan: Ouch, nutty little guy, you've got quite the arm there. But don't worry, I'm a bit of an odd fellow myself, believe it or not.

*The baby tugs the man's mustach*

Gohan: Ouch, c'mon lil' fella', I'm old enough to be your Grandpa, you wanna be the death of me? Now about that name? Ah, yes! I think I know what to call ya'. How does Goku sound?

*The baby has a little gas and starts smiling*

Gohan: All right then, Goku it is! Hahaha, Goku!

*He starts playing with the boy in his arms*

Gohan: What a good little boy.

*The camera fades out on the little boy's face into a blackness*

*Theme song plays*

*A loud monster-like roar is heard, and the camera cuts to a "16 Years Later" emblem over a night time field where a naked teenager lies with a fiery symbol engraved around him, no tail around him*

*The image fades to a beautiful teen girl driving along a road drinking coffee and speeding, not keeping her eye on the road, she now gets a call on a cell phone*

Bulma: Hello? Oh, hey Dad! Nothing much, just driving along route 8. Um hold on, I got a call on the other line.

*She puts her cell in her purse and tries pulling out another one, but suddenly runs over a naked wandering man*

Bulma: Oh my God.

*She gets out shaking, keeping her distance from the guy she just hit*

Bulma: Are you ... Are you okay?

*the teenage boy opens his eyes suddenly and starts slowly getting up, not a bruise or cut on his body, he stands with his back to her*

Bulma: Excuse me! It's rude to jump out in front of other people. Now listen, my Dad is a very rich man and I'm certain we straighten this whole thing out.

*he turns around, surprising her and her eyes take direction looking down below*

Bulma: Umm, what's your name?

Goku: I don't know.

Bulma I'm gonna take you to the hospital, and once there, please keep the whole "I ran you over" story a secret.

*She starts walking toward him*

Goku: Wait, who are you?

Bulma: Bulma, Bulma Briefs.

*Scene now cuts to a hospital, Bulma helping Goku up the steps to the outside entrance, Goku is now wearing jeans and a black shirt*

Bulma: Please watch your step kid, I've caused enough accidents in one life time, I'd hate to think I would have to baby-sit you for the rest of our lives.

*The camera now zooms across the city to an abandoned mountain base where a glowing spaceship is active*

Ship voice: Wake up Kakarrot, it is time. Destroy, destroy destroy destroy! Wake up! Kill them all! Destroy, destroy destroy!

*Scene cuts back to Goku as he falls to the ground gripping his ears, looks into the sky at a projected moon*

Kakarrot: It is time!

Bulma: Time for what?

Kakarrot: To fulfill my destiny.

Bulma: Okay, I think our little black haired head has gotten one too many lumps, let's go inside.

*She grabs his arm and tries pulling him inside, but he pulls it back and grabs her with agression*

Kakarrot: Be gone!

*Bulma is now very scared, on the verge of crying looking into Kakarrot's eyes, however suddenly a police officer shows up. Kakarrot shoves Bulma out of the way*

Cop: Freeze, put your hands over your head!

Kakarrot: If you're not with me, you're against me. If you're human, you die.

*Kakarrot puts a hand palm-up and proceeds to energize an energy aura around his hand*

Cop: What are you doing!?

*The cop shoots, but the bullets have no effect*

Kakarrot: Enough!

*Kakarrot shoots an energy blast and hits the cop with it, however doesn't kill him*

Bulma: What is wrong with you!?

*Kakarrot turns to Bulma*

Goku: Farewell.

*Kakarrot puts a hand below him in a stance like Bardock had done, does a "Neo" gesture, and flies high into the sky*

*Now, wide shots of Kakarrot flying take place as he flies all over the country, at such unbelievable speed*

*Scene goes to an airplane, a red headed man holds a dragonball in his hands*

Yamcha: Soon Paur, soon.

*The scene goes back to the hospital as Bulma is driving off*

Bulma: Whoever that guy was, only one thing will work against him.

*She reaches into a bag and pulls out two dragonballs*

Bulma: I'm certain the radar detected one near where I hit him. I have to find all seven, only the dragon of legend can possibly stop that kind of power.

*Scene cuts to morning, at an island, an old bald man exits his small pink house and breaths in the fresh air of the new morning*

Roshi: A fresh new morning to enjoy life, exercises, and most importantly, Swimsuit magazines!

*He suddenly feels something in the air, sensing a presence approaching the ishland*

Roshi: What the!? That energy, what is it! This isn't good, that energy reeks of death. The death of my best friend!

*Kakarrot flies onto the island, looking deadly serious at the old man*

Roshi: Who are you? What business do you have with me?

Kakarrot: Old man, you are the strongest human on this planet. Therefore, logic dictates you know the most about what this planet has to offer. Tell me, what is the greatest treasure!

*Roshi looks at him carefuly*

Roshi: You killed him, you killed Gohan. The smell of his death his still fresh, I'd know because he was my best pupil, and best friend.

Kakarrot: I will not ask again, what is the greatest treasure of this planet!?

*Roshi gets into a fighting stance*

Roshi: If you can defeat me, I'll tell you all I know.

Kakarrot: If that is what you wish.

*Kakarrot gets into a fighting position*

Kakarrot: I am Kakarrot, a warrior of the Saiyan race. Because you are the strongest of your kind, I will grant you a death of honor.

Roshi: Like you did with Gohan?

*Kakarrot is shocked at hearing the name*

Kakarrot: Who is this Gohan?

Roshi: The great warrior you murdered, and I will avenge him!

Kakarrot: Wait, Gohan, why is that name familiar?

*A flashback starts to take place, as Kakarrot remembers a time when he was only 7 or 8 years old, he and Gohan in a forest training area*

Gohan: Now Goku, I've trained you to be tougher than steel, but with strength comes sacrifices. Now we must work on your speed. I want you to try and catch me.

Goku: Okay Grandpa!

*Gohan turns around, in a stance ready to run*

Gohan: Ready, set, go!

*They start running all over the forest, Goku coming close to touching Gohan, but only because he appears to be going easy on him*

Gohan: Hehe, you can't even touch me.

*Goku struggles trying to get him*

Goku: Yes I can!

*They continue running along their way home*

Gohan: If you can't catch me by the time we get home, no dinner.

Goku: Oh yeah! Haaa!

*Goku picks up the speed slightly, but stops running because he's out of breath, Gohan stops as well to make sure he's okay*

Gohan: Goku, son, are you feeling all right?

Goku: Grandpa, I'm gonna get a bite of one of those apples.

*Goku points to a tree with snakes roaming all around the branches, and starts running towards it*

Gohan: No, Goku, wait!

*Gohan runs after Goku, the two run around in circles until Goku turns around and jumps in his Grandpa's arms*

Goku: Yay! I win! Now we get extra desert tonight.

Gohan: Oh, I see you can be quite the crafty rascal.

*Gohan and Goku walk over to a safer looking tree and sit at its base*

Gohan: Maybe you can use that skill another day, ya' never know.

Goku: Haha haha. Grandpa, do you think you'll take to the big city soon and show me all the neat things you tell me about in your stories?

Gohan: My boy, I promise you'll see the big city one day, and so much more.

Goku: Grandpa, thank you.

Gohan: What for?

Goku: I don't know yet, maybe I'll know another time, haha haha.

Gohan: Hmm. Let us relax this fine day.

Goku: Yeah. *yawning*

*Gohan and Goku proceed to take a nap under the tree, birds singing in the air, as the camera begins fading back to the present and a struggling Kakarrot*

Kakarrot: Who am I? Why do I remember such strange events?

Roshi: Boy, are you feeling all right? Hold on, could you be the boy Gohan spoke of?

Kakarrot: What, what is the matter with me!? *screaming* ARGGG!

*Kakarrot flies off in a burst of energy, knocking Roshi's glasses off as he now too is in shock*

*Kakarrot flies at an unbelievable speed, soaring though clouds and going back to where he woke up, a nearly obliterated corn field and lands*

Kakarrot: Who am I?

*He drops to his knees and lets out a loud scream*

Kakarrot: Who am I!?

*Kakarrot's body starts glowing oddly, he begins grabbing his head struggling, his body starts taking a weird shape, as if dividing apart another self*

Kakarrot: *screaming* AHHHHHHHH!

*Kakarrot is now separated off from Goku, a division at the molecular level, a pure Saiyan personality and a pure human personailty*

Kakarrot: *screaming* ARGGGG!

*Kakarrot turns around towards a speechless Goku who doesn't know what's going on, their bodies both resonating a strange gold aura*

Goku: I must be dreaming.

*Kakarrot grabs Goku's throat with a hand and lifts him into the air*

Kakarrot: This world's race has made you weak!

*A gunshot is heard, amazingly, it has hit Kakarrot in the back and effected him, thus he drops Goku, Kakarrot turns around to see Bulma who stares at him in total shock at who she now sees that Goku was being strangled by himself*

Bulma: What in the world?

Kakarrot: How dare you!

*Kakarrot lifts a hand palm-up, but before he can energize an energy blast, Goku punches through the wound in his back, a bright flash of light energizes around the two and they are merged back together, with Goku back in full realization of himself*

*Bulma, who's been blown back, now runs over to see if he's all right, lowering down to him as he lays exausted*

Bulma: Are you okay?

Goku: Who're you?

Bulma: You know my name, Bulma.

Goku:Wha? Are you a girl?

*Bulma helps him up*

Bulma: Yes I am, we've had the formal introductions already.

Goku: Oh, so this is a girl.

*Goku starts walking around Bulma amazed*

Goku: Grandpa told me stories, but I never thought I'd actually meet one.

Bulma: Listen kid, we have a lot to talk about.

Goku: All right, well how about we go to my house and have some lunch.

Bulma: Wait, don't you remember what just happened, how you fought, umm, yourself?

Goku: Huh? I did have a very strange dream where there were two of me, but that's impossible. C'mon, let's go to my house and have some fish.

Bulma: Um, okay.

*They start walking down a path into a large forest*

Bulma: So, what's your name anyway?

Goku: My name is Goku, I live with my Grandpa just down the road.

Bulma: Well, Goku, I don't know why, but I got this nagging feeling that something incredible has just been started.

Goku: A friendship?

Bulma: Well, I guess. But something more.

Goku: What?

Bulma: This may sound lame, but, an adventure.

*The camera pans upward, showing the destroyed house of Goku's from a great distance as he and Bulma approach, and a plane flies overhead showing the red head man from earlier looking out a window*

Yamcha: Hmm...

*Camera fades out, credits start up*
14 years later

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:51 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Changing Goku's attitude completely changes the entire appeal of the original Dragonball. Sorry, but it's a bad idea.

The ultimates line does indeed make changes, but not so much that it totally changes the foundations.

Exactly. Couldn't of said it better myself... Like, for example "Ultimate-Spiderman", That keeps most of the characters intact. Peter Parker is still a nerd, and so on... Changing Goku to a punk would make Goku loose the charm that makes him Goku... the innocent and naive Goku everyone loves!

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Freaking long story
And THIS is exactly why we should have a dragonball Fanfiction section (or at least have more people post on Randomness. Come on people! The only ones who have posted there in the past 3 months are my sister, my cousin, and a moderator telling my cousin to cut down on the inappropiateness! Post there, PLEASE!!!).
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:16 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
Smooth Criminal wrote:Changing Goku's attitude completely changes the entire appeal of the original Dragonball. Sorry, but it's a bad idea.

Exactly. Couldn't of said it better myself... Like, for example "Ultimate-Spiderman", That keeps most of the characters intact. Peter Parker is still a nerd, and so on... Changing Goku to a punk would make Goku loose the charm that makes him Goku... the innocent and naive Goku everyone loves!
True dat. The Ultimate books were created simply for a new bunch of fans, and because the characters had gone through a hell of a lot of changing. As far as I'm concerned, the characters didn't change except for a few of their origins, and the only major change would be the plotlines. Maybe Son could do that with Ultimate Dragon Ball...that would work a bit...if not too difficult

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:22 pm

Think of the 10th aniversary special. The characters were the same they, just kinda re-arranged the plot a little. Along with a new animation style and a little hint towards Goku being a super saiyan.

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Fanfic
Please to be writing more of that! That was awesome.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Tom Welling: Goku/Kakarrot / Bardock
Jessica Alba: Bulma
Patrick Stewart: Roshi
Okay, I am going to address this part of your list Conan, by character.

Tom Welling:
Are you high? This guy is a bad Superman/Clark Kent, as well as a terrible actor, why would we want to turn anything DragonBall into a live-action DB oriented Smallville?

Jessica Alba:
She's a horrible actress.

Patrick Stewart:
So we're going TNG on DBZ's ass now?

I would cry if something live-action came to fruition, and Tom Welling played Son Goku. I really would...

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:40 pm

Patrick Stewart does not make a good Roshi. Maybe it's because I only really know him from the X-Men movies and Legends games, buit he has an air of too much dignity. Roshi has little to no dignity.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:09 pm

I think it would be just a better idea to come up with one's own story. But then, I'm greatly opposed to fanfiction. Because of fanfiction, there's fanfiction porn, one of the many great downfalls of mankind.

I agree though that Ultimates aren't very necessary. If you want reality, read "American Splendor" and other independents. They need more support than Marvel does.

And my comics-geek roommate felt the need to respond. Please don't get mad at me.

"Odd that Dragon Ball Z is incorporating discussion on Marvel comics. However and unfortunately, it shows the poor taste and what is wrong with today's generation. I was born in the 80s and I feel the prime of the comic books were then and during the early 90s. There were even some cool events during the late 90s but the Ultimates???? How can anyone support that? It's absolutely horrible and yes, as stated before, it's only trying to appeal to a larger audience in the lamest way. Not onyl that, but it's taking away from the fun and enjoyment of comics by trying to make them "realistic." Am I really supposed to care about the science involved in the creation of the Hulk and then how the government responds realisticly to it? Answer: NO. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Joe Quesada should be fired and the Ultimate line should be cancelled. Wolverine killing a bear and then eating it? Wow, that's so hardcore. Whatever. He has more class than that. I freaking hate stuff that isn't continiuty and the fact that you support this junk is even. I cannot believe what is wrong with today's generation and comic books. The ultimate line is a perfect example which is why I steer clear of the majority of marvel books lately (excluding some Hulk now and then, and always a fan of Daredevil - excluding Kevin Smith's run). DC is king, despite it's problems. I'll take some confusing and dumb plotlines for DC over stupid Marvel Ultimate line trying to make comics realistic. Mutants are fiction. Get over it!!!!!!!!!"
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:42 pm

How old is this guy? To be writing stuff like this with references....such class...really.

Anyhow, I should say that it would be better as a CG movie, somewhere on the styles of Final Fantasy: Advent Children. The fighting scenes were well done, as well as the animation. Simply apply that to Dragon Ball Z.............

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:33 pm

A CG movie? I don't know... I think alternate universe stuff just cheapens the original.

...and no, I don't like the DBZ movies.

And besides that, they already had an alternate universe of DB. It was the Tenth Aniversary Special.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:05 pm

Tom Welling:
Are you high? This guy is a bad Superman/Clark Kent, as well as a terrible actor, why would we want to turn anything DragonBall into a live-action DB oriented Smallville?

Jessica Alba:
She's a horrible actress.
I think they're both rather good actors (and I studied acting in school so, yeah... my opinion didn't just come out of some fanboy's butt), but neither of them should be even close to Dragon Ball.

And as I said before, the idea presented in the first post is more Tangent than Ultimate.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:36 am

The S wrote:I think they're both rather good actors (and I studied acting in school so, yeah... my opinion didn't just come out of some fanboy's butt), but neither of them should be even close to Dragon Ball.
I try not to be biased about the qualities of actors, and actresses these days, and I can respect your opinion of them, but when I saw Cheaper By the Dozen, and Fantastic Four, neither of their performances really showed me that they could act well.
When I saw them act, it seemed some-what hollow, and without motivation.

That wont stop me from giving either of them another chance, in their up-coming films, but thats just my opinion, as well as what I've taken away from their films.

Anyway, I enjoy critiquing films, even if I am not getting paid to voice my opinions anywhere, so lets keep this conversation going! Keep on truckin'!!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:33 am

I was a professional actress that grew up training for years at an acting school and I concur with Lost that Welling and Alba are "okay" in the craft at best. :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:34 pm

Okay, how did we get so far off topic?

Anyway, Ill have the re-designs up sometime next week.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:04 am

Anyone read Wizard magazine? It's mostly comic oriented.
They have this section called "Casting Call" that selects actors for comic movies. They're often very good at picking great likenesses, in my opinion. I don't know if they take actually acting skill into account, but the appearences are fun. I doubt they've ever done DragonBall for that section, but I wonder who THEY'D pick. Just cause so many of you were mentioning it...

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:09 am

Guys, seriously, I didnt start this topic for depicting actors as DB characters. Please, lets drop this?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Just wanted to put my two cents in (sorry if this is necroposting)...

Reinventing an existing story is not necessarily a bad idea, ie: John Bryne's Superman. But it usually only works because the original story sucked, ie: Superman before John Bryne.

Let me just point out the difference between a good remake and a really bad remake:

Good remakes take an existing story and rework it to fix plot holes, incosistancies and bad ideas. Or to change things that arn't necesarrily bad into things that are really good. Good remakes don't change things for the hell of it (ie: the new 'Ultimate' Nick Fury is black. Why is Nick Fury black? Does this improve the story in anyway?)

Bad remakes change things for no reason, bad remakes completly change the characters or situations. If you completly change a character's personality (unless of course there's a good reason).

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you change the characters, the setting, you don't remake a story - you make a whole new one.

Bulma hates her parents? Why? How will that enhance the story? Puar's a wolf now? The OxKing is a robot? A robot? What the hell?

I assume you're going to use the original 'Search for the DragonBalls' story, but these characters are way too different from DragonBall to call it DragonBall.
DragonBall started off as a remake of the 'Journy to the West' story, but it was changed so much it couldnt be called 'Journy to the West'.

I think it'd be a good story - just not a good DragonBall story.

The OxKing is an Android? Seriously? Man, that blows my mind.