:( Why did they get rid of Mirai Trunks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:57 pm

Xyex wrote: Plus, with the thousands (or even millions) that the Androids had wiped out... I doubt there was enough energy on the entire planet to revive Buu.
Trunks tells Gohan (the little one) that the Earth's population is in the ten thousands :D

Gamingdevil wrote: In DBZ it wouldn't affect anything, but in the more accepted theories, you would indeed stop to exist.
But if you never existed, you never went back in time to kill your parents, hence the alternate timeline theory (like how it works in Dragon Ball).

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:40 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:
TheLiveActionAnimeBoy wrote:Not to be totally off the subject, but this whole confusion of timelines has given me a reasonable idea about how time travel would work out and how it would result.

I mean seriously, if you went back in time to kill your own parents, would that at all affect your current existance to begin with? Or would you cease to exist at the same time as your parents once you kill them?

Would time change in your own timeline? Or would you create "another reality" that was put in this whole situation in DBZ?
In DBZ it wouldn't affect anything, but in the more accepted theories, you would indeed stop to exist.
If you went back in time to you own timeline you'd cease to exist - but Trunks goes back in time AND into another dimension. He could blow up the planet, it wouldn't affect his timeline at all. Going back in time in another dimension is actually the safest way to time travel.

AznMastah

Post by AznMastah » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:43 pm

Oh my gosh that sounds really sad, blowing up the planet. (>.<) Anyways, i think that they could've extended like an area of time after the Cell series instead of the Buu saga to include Mirai Trunks because the Buu saga kind of dragged. Well, in my opinion anyways.
If I'm dodging i wont get hit, if i'm protecting someone I won't let them die, and if I'm attacking...I WILL CUT YOU!!!!

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:31 pm

Trunks had pretty much served his entire purpose in the DBZ story, and thus he was gotten rid of. If he'd stuck around, he'd share the same fate as anyone else not of immediate importance. Be grateful he left when he did. He wasn't necessary, thus he wasn't included in the saga. Besides, it's for the best that he departed at that point. He should leave the audience wanting more, right?

Storywise, it's perfect. Trunks arrives, warns everyone of androids. Trunks departs at the finale and finishes the androids in his timeline. Full circle, loose ends tied all nice and fluffy. We then know that the universe is safe from the aforementioned androids, thanks to Trunks.

Well... until GT...
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

AznMastah

Post by AznMastah » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:31 pm

:? I can't stand GT Trunks, thats why i prefer future trunks.
If I'm dodging i wont get hit, if i'm protecting someone I won't let them die, and if I'm attacking...I WILL CUT YOU!!!!

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:00 am

oponok wrote:Trunks had pretty much served his entire purpose in the DBZ story, and thus he was gotten rid of. If he'd stuck around, he'd share the same fate as anyone else not of immediate importance. Be grateful he left when he did. He wasn't necessary, thus he wasn't included in the saga. Besides, it's for the best that he departed at that point. He should leave the audience wanting more, right?

Storywise, it's perfect. Trunks arrives, warns everyone of androids. Trunks departs at the finale and finishes the androids in his timeline. Full circle, loose ends tied all nice and fluffy. We then know that the universe is safe from the aforementioned androids, thanks to Trunks.

Well... until GT...
You actually make a valid point, we all know Trunks doesn't have the potetional, Goku, Vegeta and Gohan have, so he'll just get left behind like the others.
Who said life isn't a game?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:35 am

Who's to say Trunks didn't have their potential? I'm sure he would have kept pace with Vegeta, like during the Cell Saga, if he trained as well.

Keep in mind, there was a gap between himself and Vegeta at the start of the training in the Room of Spirit and Time, but Trunks almost totally closed it. That boy isn't some slacker, and he wouldn't get left behind.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:37 am

Like everyone else has said, Trunks basically fulfilled his purpose and that was to save the past from becoming like his future, but to also find a way to defeat his timeline's androids in the process. I do find it comforting to know that Trunks got a proper send off in both the manga and anime as he had finally defeated the Androids and Cell in his own time, and while present Trunks picks up the character from that point on, Future Trunks did get one more appearance in Movie 9 (fitting movie in anime timeline by the way) as well as gets referenced in a latter Buu saga episode by Goku (dub ONLY), so he didn't go into complete memory absence. Hell, Budokai Tenkaichi even had that crazy extra story mode of him fighting SSJ4 Gogeta in a World Tournament, I also like how Movie 13 signified that present Trunks would be following in his future counterpart's footsteps as being a great swordsman.
14 years later

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Re: :( Why did they get rid of Mirai Trunks?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:08 pm

AznMastah wrote:Yeah first this is probably a stupid dicussion but i wanted to post it up to get others opinions. But anyways I don't understand why Toriyama cut Trunks off after the Cell series even though Mirai (Future) his favorite character. IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! (Grumbles*)
[/img]
No I'm pretty sure Piccolo was his favorite.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:22 pm

I thought it was Mr. Satan
Where's the beef?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:35 pm

He said it's Piccolo and Mr. Satan in issue 3 of Shonen Jump.

AznMastah

Post by AznMastah » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:43 pm

Um, I dunno sorry if i got Trunks is Toriyamas favorite character wrong, i just read that on a website, you know how unrealiable the internet is. :D

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:51 pm

Indeed, it was Piccolo (I guess Satan as well, from what the others have posted, but I don't recall).

And yes, Trunks had fulfilled his purpose in the story. In addition, the Cell story arc had built up so much tension (for lack of better word) and had departed far from the original whimsical atmosphere of earlier Dragon Ball. Toriyama returned the series somewhat to its original comical side, and with the androids gone, Trunks was no longer needed. Not to mention how much of a headache it gives readers to think about all those multiple timelines created by time travel.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:24 am

I thought AT favorite character was Goku. But after remembering what he said somwhere it's piccolo.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:20 am

Vhanos wrote:I thought AT favorite character was Goku. But after remembering what he said somwhere it's piccolo.
1. Necropost: This thread has been dead for a month - not too bad, but you didn't add anything! :x

2. "First off, he's not your homeboy": Bah! "AT"? That's a terrible way to refer to him. It's Akira Toriyama, Mr. Toriyams, or maybe just Toriyama - but "AT"? C'mon...

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:02 am

What's wrong with how I said his name? Is it disgraceful? Oh and I'm sorry if I didn't add anything. Don't be glum. Let me try and make up for what I did.

Future Trunks would have been of big help if he came to the Buu saga timeline. It focused mostly on the saiyans and all the other non saiyans were ripped off. But just like his present self, Goten, Gohan, and Vegeta I don't see how they could have made him succeed in an effective role where they did not.