Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Need more anime like DBZ? Suggested Anime Thread

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Wouldn't mind FUNimation picking up Saint Seiya. Anything that isn't DBZ they more or less treat properly. Either them or Viz. At least that way the whole Uncut series could be released. I want to watch it, haven't yet. But, I don'twant to watch an edited only dub or an uncut dub without a full release or Japanese either.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Wouldn't mind FUNimation picking up Saint Seiya. Anything that isn't DBZ they more or less treat properly. Either them or Viz. At least that way the whole Uncut series could be released. I want to watch it, haven't yet. But, I don'twant to watch an edited only dub or an uncut dub without a full release or Japanese either.
Or Discotek who's been picking up a lot of classic gems recently.

Considering that SS will soon be available on Blu-ray, either All the Anime / FUNimation / Discotek or Viz Media they'd all do a great job, leaving the picture quality intact (no English translated text FUNimation!!), then of course adding English menus, subs and dub for the episodes that were produced (001-060 by ADV).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote: Rurouni Kenshin (it was too moody, at least the dub from what I saw I was like bro get over it)
...What?
I'm not sure what part of Kenshin you've been watching, but unless you're talking about one of the OVA's, I don't think you really "got" it. How much did you watch, and how long ago was that?

For what it's worth, the anime doesn't even cover the "moody" part of Rurouni Kenshin. So I'm not sure where you're coming from.
So I had to be I guess in 8th grade or around then...it's when Toonami was airing it, so "not getting it" is a possibility, I saw so little I can't be sure where it was but there was a lot of rain in the epsiodes i watched and he kept bitching about a dead friend or teacher can't recall. That's why I didn't stick with it cuz it was a downer, at least that part.
Yeah, I'd try it again. The episode I think you are referring to deals with
It's not really a "moody" moment, as it is the set up for the second major arc in the series. I'd definitely give the series a try; it's the best anime I've ever seen.

I'd stop watching after the second arc, though. The third arc is all anime-exclusive filler, and most of it really sucks.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Hunter X Hunter (2011) to me is sort of an inbetween of Naruto and Dragon Ball. It's complex and super heavy hitting, but the new moves introduced remind me of Dragon Ball. Infact, I think there's a Wolf Fang Fist joke. The mood reminds me of Naruto a lot. Also, about the Bleach thing; I recommend that you watch the first three seasons, then drop it if you're satisfied. One Piece is great, but is a real time-squeezer.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Anyone here know anything about Bubblegum Crisis? I marathoned Tokyo 2040 a few year ago and have been meaning to pick up that complete series Funi recently put out, but haven't touched the original. Seemed like 2040's 90's grimdark would make it hard to go back.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Anyone here know anything about Bubblegum Crisis? I marathoned Tokyo 2040 a few year ago and have been meaning to pick up that complete series Funi recently put out, but haven't touched the original. Seemed like 2040's 90's grimdark would make it hard to go back.
Since that particular title is not related to the poster's original question (titles that are similar to DBZ), I'll have to recommend you check out these sites, where the communities are super helpful and very open about suggesting anime titles:

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/for ... uggestions

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... um.php?f=1

Happy hunting...!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 pm

TheAldella wrote:Hunter X Hunter (2011) to me is sort of an inbetween of Naruto and Dragon Ball. It's complex and super heavy hitting, but the new moves introduced remind me of Dragon Ball. Infact, I think there's a Wolf Fang Fist joke.
I would like to hear more about this.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Hunter x Hunter is very good but it has a very different feel than Dragon Ball, IMO.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:20 am

I would even say Gurren Lagann could fit here, or at least I feel it could. It reminds me more of the original DragonBall for me. It's lighthearted in some moments with crazy out of this world action but also has very serious themes going for it. Also, after a time skip, like Dragonball when everyone grows up, it gets a bit more mature. It follows a young boy to grow up and become a man, a powerful warrior with a great undying spirit.

It felt so Dragon Ball it almost didn't feel like Dragon Ball (if that makes any sense :lol: ). But I enjoyed it because it reminded me of the show.

Also, to add my two cents on Kill la Kill, a battle uniform that makes the wearer stronger is called a 'Goku' uniform. If that isn't a reference to our favourite classic, I will be shocked. But it had me rolling in laughter when I heard that (and saw what it did)! It's also about fighting and power much like Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gurren Lagann, Fist and Joe Joe's Bizarre Adventure to name a few. :thumbup:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:20 am

Kid Buu wrote:
TheAldella wrote:Hunter X Hunter (2011) to me is sort of an inbetween of Naruto and Dragon Ball. It's complex and super heavy hitting, but the new moves introduced remind me of Dragon Ball. Infact, I think there's a Wolf Fang Fist joke.
I would like to hear more about this.
Yeah, I just checked. There's a technique used in Heaven's Arena called the "Tiger Bite Fist," and the poses are very similiar, if not, the same.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 am

Yup, I'd fully reccomend Hunter X Hunter 2011, the best anime released in years imo.

It's like if Dragon Ball became sick of being a charming hick, went to university and got a degree.

So yeah it's like Dragon Ball but a lot more complex, the current main villain even looks like Cell but is very complex and in terms of villains his character development is only rivalled by Piccolo.
Here's a picture of him:
As a Dragon Ball fan my favourite animes are:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
One Piece
Soul Eater
Hajime no Ippo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Magi
Cowboy Beebop
Code Geass
Kuroko no Basket
Heck I'd even recommend Naruto :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 am

Attitudefan wrote: Also, to add my two cents on Kill la Kill, a battle uniform that makes the wearer stronger is called a 'Goku' uniform. If that isn't a reference to our favourite classic, I will be shocked.
It isn't. "Goku" is a prefix that means "extremely", and the joke is that since "uniform" is "seifuku", adding "goku" in front of it creates the reading "gokusei", which means "premium (product)"... so it comes across as somewhat like "Premiuniform". "Goku uniform" is just a completely nonsensical half-translation alng the lines of "King Kai".

The "goku" in gokuseifuku is neither written nor pronounced the same as the Goku in Son Goku, which is a name originating from Journey to the West anyway, not Dragonball. So be shocked, I guess.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 am

Adamant wrote:
Attitudefan wrote: Also, to add my two cents on Kill la Kill, a battle uniform that makes the wearer stronger is called a 'Goku' uniform. If that isn't a reference to our favourite classic, I will be shocked.
It isn't. "Goku" is a prefix that means "extremely", and the joke is that since "uniform" is "seifuku", adding "goku" in front of it creates the reading "gokusei", which means "premium (product)"... so it comes across as somewhat like "Premiuniform". "Goku uniform" is just a completely nonsensical half-translation alng the lines of "King Kai".

The "goku" in gokuseifuku is neither written nor pronounced the same as the Goku in Son Goku, which is a name originating from Journey to the West anyway, not Dragonball. So be shocked, I guess.
Yeah, you'll often see it translated more accurately as 'Ultima uniform' instead. It did throw me off when I first watched CrunchyRoll's translation before switching to Underwater.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 am

HunterxHunter 2011 is by far the best anime on going and one of my favourites ever.
Its from the same mangaka that did Yu Yu Hakusho. It takes some things from DBZ and the writing is just magnificent.

The chimera ant arc is the darkest arc I ever saw in a shounen and the villain is a homage to Cell.
Definitely, a must watch.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:54 am

I've read so much about HunterxHunter and yet I'm so intimidated by the number of episodes.

Is it consistently good or are there a bunch of downtime filler moments that just feel like a drag?

What's the deal with the 1999 version vs the 2011 one? Entirely separate or a continuation?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I've read so much about HunterxHunter and yet I'm so intimidated by the number of episodes.

Is it consistently good or are there a bunch of downtime filler moments that just feel like a drag?

What's the deal with the 1999 version vs the 2011 one? Entirely separate or a continuation?
2011 reboots the anime, and actually cuts out stuff in the first episode. I'd watch the first episode of the old show, then switch to 2011's first episode. 2011 is super fast, and really good looking. The only dragging I felt was in the 45s-ish, and that's probably because I marathoned everything before it.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:09 pm

TheAldella wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:I've read so much about HunterxHunter and yet I'm so intimidated by the number of episodes.

2011 reboots the anime, and actually cuts out stuff in the first episode. I'd watch the first episode of the old show, then switch to 2011's first episode. 2011 is super fast, and really good looking. The only dragging I felt was in the 45s-ish, and that's probably because I marathoned everything before it.
It doesn't "cut" anything. They're separate adaptations of the same manga, but while the first one was very filler-heavy and rewrote a lot of things, the second stays much closer to the source material.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Adamant wrote:It doesn't "cut" anything. They're separate adaptations of the same manga, but while the first one was very filler-heavy and rewrote a lot of things, the second stays much closer to the source material.
Oh, my apologies, then. I thought they had cut the Kite scene.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:HunterxHunter 2011 is by far the best anime on going and one of my favourites ever.
Its from the same mangaka that did Yu Yu Hakusho. It takes some things from DBZ and the writing is just magnificent.

The chimera ant arc is the darkest arc I ever saw in a shounen and the villain is a homage to Cell.
Definitely, a must watch.
Hunter × Hunter 1999 or Hunter × Hunter 2011? Which series is the closest to the manga? Which one has the best music & voice acting in your opinion? Should I watch the original Japanese dub or the English one?

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:15 pm

It is consistently brilliant, I think Greed Island got a bit tiresome though (it's an arc where they were inside a game world) but it was a nice change of pace and had a very satisfying ending.

Watch is now! :twisted:

Btw don't even touch the old anime for whatever reason. Watch Hunter X Hunter 2011 straight away.