Hyperbolic Time Chamber vs. Room of Spirit and Time

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Hyperbolic Time Chamber vs. Room of Spirit and Time

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 pm

Well, "hyperbolic" can mean "referring to a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect" which makes sense, since one day would be equivalent to a year in the room... seems pretty exaggerated (in a sense) to me.
But I still wonder why FUNi decided to name the room one thing, while Viz named it another thing? Which name is more accurate?

Also feel free to discuss how long time would pass in x amount of minutes outside of the room. I know as a math freak, I've spent many hours figuring stuff like this out.

One more thing: the whole regulation on using it. I think it's something like you can only use the room three times in your lifetime. But, does this mean that being wished back will "renew" the amount of times you can enter the room? And what happens when you go in the room more than three times? Can you not enter altogether, or would you disappear once you enter.

Another thing: Goku says that the room is as big as the entire planet. I know that in the GB game Super Legendary Warriors, Chibi Trunks and Goten actually get lost in the room and run into Future Trunks!

I know most of these questions don't have an actual answer, so feel free to discuss your thoughts! :D
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Tue May 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Well, the Room of Spirit and Time, as far as I know, is the name Toriyama gave it, (I guess you figured that already). Maybe they changed it to Hyperbolic Time Chamber to increase the amount of syllables and match the mouth flaps better.

I like the name "Room of Spirit and Time" better than Hyperbolic Time Chamber, but FUNi's name makes more sense, because its a place where time is exaggerated (as you said).

I'm not sure of the circumstances of the room, but apparently, 1 minute in Earth time= 6 hours in RoSaT time (according to Vol. 41), 1 day in Earth time = 365 days in RoSaT time, and people can only stay in the room for a maximum of 48 hours (earth time) during a lifetime or else the entrance to the door will close on them forever while they stay inside.

I think the size of the room is supposedly infinite, and can go on forever in every direction.

About that thing with the amount of people that can go into the room, I think they say to keep only a maximum of 2 people in there at a time to have enough food supply to last them a year.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 09, 2006 10:04 pm

I always found FUNimation's dub use of "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" and exaggerated-to-the-point-of-being-disgusting use of "ascend" a painful attempt to spice up the intelligence of the dub.

"Room of Spirit and Time" is pretty much a translation of the original Japanese, so it's leaps and bounds more accurate. Though it may actually be "Time and Spirit". Forget the order.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 pm

Oh God, does this take me back...

About two years ago, a group of friends and I decided to calculate the math of the Room Of Spirit and Time, and heres what we came up with:

So as you can see, the math of the room is incorrect. However the theory that we settled on is that Piccolo was rounding or giving a rough estimate when he said that one minute was equal to six hours
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue May 09, 2006 11:12 pm

Cool! I remember I did some calculations way back when, but I think I wrote them on some sratch paper that I lost :(.

My theory about the RoSaT world is that there is more than one entrance, and each entrance is another timeline. All of these doors to the room have been made and kept track of th Kamis of the universe, but if you're a bad guy, I guess you can make one under the Kamis' noses to wreak some havoc across the timelines...

Of course, I don't know how Future Trunks would even be able to access that place. You would think that the Androids destroyed "the Lookout" (yet another one of FUNi's strange misdubs, but I like it nonetheless), but I guess you could get away with saying that the Lookout became a "ghost town" after Kami and Piccolo died. With the whole other timelines thing in mind, it would make sense that one could travel through time if they were able to reach another RoSaT door while in the room. But to do so, one would have to be able to withstand the climate there.

Of the mystical stuff in the DB series, I just think that the room is the best thing of all, since it's so... mysterious (Ooo, possible podcast topic, EX cast??)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Vaeran

Post by Vaeran » Wed May 10, 2006 12:15 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Of course, I don't know how Future Trunks would even be able to access that place. You would think that the Androids destroyed "the Lookout"
Even if the Androids destroyed Kami's palace*, there's no way they're powerful enough to affect the dimensional gateway itself. It would still be there, just a real bitch to find once all the architecture around it was gone.

(* Whatever happened to the idea that anyone attempting to reach Kami's palace by artificial means/without Karin's approval would automatically be repelled? At some point in the Cell saga, Bulma just flies a Capsule plane up there, no problem. Maybe Karin just went ahead and put all of Goku's friends on the guest list to save time?)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed May 10, 2006 2:09 am

Kids don't even know what hyperbolic means.

In fact, I never bothered to look it up. :P

"Spirit Time Chamber" would have been decent.

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Wed May 10, 2006 6:46 am

Well, I don't think they care if kids know what it means, (I don't even know what it means)

I think it's just there to make it sound cool, and almost more scientific than it is magical.

I don't hate the name Hyperbolic Time Chamber, but I think Room of Spirit and Time is better.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Wed May 10, 2006 12:07 pm

I like the name 'Hyperbolic Time Chamber'. I think It's a cool name. So there! :mrgreen:
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed May 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Kids don't even know what hyperbolic means.

In fact, I never bothered to look it up. :P
Well, yeah, that was part of the reason that I made this topic. The people gotta not only watch the seres, but get all of the little doodads put into the names of stuff to get the full effect out of the show.
That and this was just one of those things that I was thinking about before I went to bed for some weird reason or another.
Saiyan wrote:Maybe they changed it to Hyperbolic Time Chamber to increase the amount of syllables and match the mouth flaps better.
Well, that sounds like the most reasonable thing. but, if the voice actos really tried, I'm sure they can fit that extra syllable into their character's mouth to make them say "Room of Spirit and Time."

Since, I started off with the dub, though, I'm just used to The Hyperbolic Time Chamber... it even sounds cooler, in my opinion.

I do agree with EX, though, with the whole FUNi trying to sound intelligent. But wait! Didn't you say in the movie reviews podcast episode that you liked it when the old dub had Kami say "tenacious fool" in Dead Zone because they had him speak "intelligently"? I'm just throwing that out, don't make too much out of it.
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Thu May 11, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:06 am

What's the original Japanese for "Room of spirit and time", by the way?
Where's the beef?

Vaeran

Post by Vaeran » Thu May 11, 2006 2:47 am

"Seishin to Toki" no Heya.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 pm

hyperbolic

adj 1: enlarged beyond truth or reasonableness; "had an exaggerated (or inflated) opinion of himself"; "a hyperbolic style" [syn: exaggerated, inflated] 2: of or relating to a hyperbola; "hyperbolic functions"

I prefer "The Room of Spirit and Time". I think it's easier to remember.

"Tenacious fool" sounds like Kami lightly scholding a little kid.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri May 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Reading this reminds me of my friend who although he knew it was a direct translation, he was still mad that Tokyopop in the translated Chobits manga called Sumomo "Plum".

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Fri May 12, 2006 10:28 pm

For the longest time I always assumed they were two different things all together, since i tagged "Room of Spirit and Time" to the place where Yamcha, Kurillin, Tien and Choutzou trained during the Saiyan saga, and "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" to the place where the Saiyan's trained during the Cell Games.

Are FUNi partly responsible for misleading me by any chance? Or have I just completely missed the boat? :shock:

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri May 12, 2006 10:33 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:For the longest time I always assumed they were two different things all together, since i tagged "Room of Spirit and Time" to the place where Yamcha, Kurillin, Tenshinhan and Choutzou trained during the Saiyan saga, and "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" to the place where the Saiyan's trained during the Cell Games.

Are FUNi partly responsible for misleading me by any chance? Or have I just completely missed the boat? :shock:
Filler is responsible for confusing a lot of people.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sat May 13, 2006 8:33 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:Filler is responsible for confusing a lot of people.
Ah, so it was filler? That explains a lot. :roll:

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sat May 13, 2006 9:51 am

t0ffe3m4n wrote:
All the same, there are two different rooms. The Time Room (where you can travel time or at least experience visions of travelling time) and The Room of Spirit and Time (AKA The Hyperbolic Time Chamber).

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 13, 2006 1:06 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
t0ffe3m4n wrote:
All the same, there are two different rooms. The Time Room (where you can travel time or at least experience visions of travelling time) and The Room of Spirit and Time (AKA The Hyperbolic Time Chamber).
I thought FUNi called it the "Pendulum Room". I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 13, 2006 1:16 pm

desirecampbell wrote:I thought FUNi called it the "Pendulum Room". I'm sure I heard that somewhere.
That's what it was called for volume four of the VHS/DVD home release of the original syndication run (from 1996). It doesn't appear to have also been an episode title (that was just called "Showdown In The Past"), but I don't remember if they verbally described it as such in the episode. And lord knows I haven't seen the re-dub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::