Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:27 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:43 pm
RandomGuy96 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
I like the idea and it would definitely make sense in story but I don't think it fits on a genre level. As "scientific" as scouters made concepts like ki, ki is still firmly rooted in Eastern Mysticism and romanticized views of martial arts. Ki-classes would be too huge a departure from that. Plus, with the Tournament of Power, it looks like the gods of the universe aren't all that interested in skill if it doesn't also come with lots of power.
Asian martial arts tournaments have weight classes too, even if some Japanese promotions like to occasionally forsake them for freakshow match ups.

The ToP is actually what got me thinking about it. Obviously in universe it's because Zeno is a little kid doing this for his own amusement, not really thinking logically, but if Jiren had just chosen to flex and instantly KO everyone else (which could have been exactly what happened) I doubt it'd be very amusing. No more than if Anthony Joshua just turned Saul Alvarez into paste in five seconds. I do wonder how tournaments in the series would have gone if they split them up like this. The strangest part is, the Tenkaichi Budokai DOES have a youth division, so they recognize mismatches can happen and are bad... but they'll still never implement either "ki classes", weight classes, or even species classes.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 pm
RandomGuy96 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
Introducing weight classes ruins Toriyama’s favorite gag of the smaller guy being stronger than the big guy.

Considering characters can lower and raise their ki/power level having that as a class seems futile.
Practically you can just make them show their full power and disqualify them later if they're shown to be hiding it.

Though I do admit, Goku and co basically being the guys who cut 20 pounds of water at the weigh in is an amusing parallel.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 pm So when Battle of Gods came out, the one thing that was consistently praised was Beerus and Whis. Everyone loved them, thought they were great additions to the Dragon Ball World. But now that we've more time for the past 5 years or so, in Resurrection F, the Universe 6 Arc, the Future Trunks Arc, the Universe Survival Arc, and Dragon Ball Super Broly, I wanna ask you guys something: What are your thoughts on Beerus and Whis as of right now, at this current point in the story? Are they still as refreshing as they were when they were first introduced, or are they just not the same anymore?
I don't know... I feel like Beerus and Whis presence dismiss a lot the stakes in Super arcs, even though they do not participate, fans would still think that anything could be solved if these two acted in some way.

Goku and Vegeta might be close to surpassing Beerus, but I don't see that any sooner, I wish we could have a threat big enough for him to use his full power and Whis to get involved in fighting, that would make them more appealing to me than how is currently been
ShaggyBlanco wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:35 pm The more I think about it the more I wish they had kept the RooF outfits for DBS, along with SSB it really helped to set Goku and Vegeta apart from Z
I believe that's a consensus in this forum, but it's like Super could not move on doing Z homages (both anime and manga), so they had to keep these characters with their same old outfits :yawn:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:38 pm Interesting, I'll have to run it through my pro logic ll decoder/avr once I get it and give it a listen myself. i didnt know about path to power, lddb lists it as only stereo
It's posslbe the LD was only stereo. Or was too poor quality to unfold. I'm given to understand the Dragon Box DVDs have higher quality audio than the LDs for those last two movies, since the LDs for those last two put the main audio on an analogue track, with the digital track instead being the music-only track.

On the earlier movies, which are in mono, both the main audio and the music-only track are on the digital track; main audio is in left, music is in right. (I think; may be the other way around)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 pm
10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:38 pm Interesting, I'll have to run it through my pro logic ll decoder/avr once I get it and give it a listen myself. i didnt know about path to power, lddb lists it as only stereo
It's posslbe the LD was only stereo. Or was too poor quality to unfold. I'm given to understand the Dragon Box DVDs have higher quality audio than the LDs for those last two movies, since the LDs for those last two put the main audio on an analogue track, with the digital track instead being the music-only track.

On the earlier movies, which are in mono, both the main audio and the music-only track are on the digital track; main audio is in left, music is in right. (I think; may be the other way around)
quite possible for path to power, but lddb already has confirmed that movie 13 is dolby surround, granted these are the first two i plan to buy in the next month or so so I'll be able to know for sure soon.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:44 am

Noah wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 pm So when Battle of Gods came out, the one thing that was consistently praised was Beerus and Whis. Everyone loved them, thought they were great additions to the Dragon Ball World. But now that we've spend more time with them for the past 5 years or so, in Resurrection F, the Universe 6 Arc, the Future Trunks Arc, the Universe Survival Arc, and Dragon Ball Super Broly, I wanna ask you guys something: What are your thoughts on Beerus and Whis as of right now, at this current point in the story? Are they still as refreshing as they were when they were first introduced, or are they just not the same anymore?
I don't know... I feel like Beerus and Whis presence dismiss a lot the stakes in Super arcs, even though they do not participate, fans would still think that anything could be solved if these two acted in some way.

Goku and Vegeta might be close to surpassing Beerus, but I don't see that any sooner, I wish we could have a threat big enough for him to use his full power and Whis to get involved in fighting, that would make them more appealing to me than how is currently been
I meant your thoughts on them as actual characters, silly. You know, whether or not you still like them now as much as you liked them when they were first introduced in BoG.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 am

quite possible for path to power, but lddb already has confirmed that movie 13 is dolby surround, granted these are the first two i plan to buy in the next month or so so I'll be able to know for sure soon.
Well, either way, the Dragon Box audio would be better quality, thus would give better results if you have a way to unfold the surround.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Well, either way, the Dragon Box audio would be better quality, thus would give better results if you have a way to unfold the surround.
If the surround is only on the analog dbox may be better, if its on the pcm track the laserdisc will likely be better. which is how the databast lists it so ima hope its right https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/12777/LS ... the-Dragon

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

If the surround is only on the analog dbox may be better, if its on the pcm track the laserdisc will likely be better. which is how the databast lists it so ima hope its right https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/12777/LS ... the-Dragon
The PCM track is the music-only track.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:05 am

Amidst the Covid-19 outbreak remember that even Goku got taken down by a virus once. It's no shame to stay in isolation for your own safety. At least you don't have killer robots after you too!
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Does anyone know where this English gt opening comes from?

https://youtu.be/aWYLoDvrZSE

It says its from a vhs but I have most of the non 'lost episode ' vhs singles and it's not on them. Is it on the lost episodes singles? I know I known its gt but I'm genuinely curious.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 pm

How did yajirobe get as strong as he is in dragon ball? The first time we see him he rofl stomps one of piccolos kids, presumably someone who could take most of the tenkaichi fighters. And then climbs korins tower with ease. He could well be stronger than tao but not sure how he got that way.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:14 am

I really love how for as much damage as they might have done, the Yamcha memes ended up going full circle, now treating Yamcha as a god instead of a failure of a man :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:05 pm

The Super manga chapters are also serialized in some magazine like the original series was in Shonen Jump? If yes, then what's that magazine's name?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 am

V-Jump. It’s a monthly magazine from Shueisha, primarily focused on video games, released on the 21st of each month (barring a Sunday or holiday, in which case it gets moved up to the next appropriate day).

Everything you could want to know about the magazines-

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2017/03/16/s ... -buy-them/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 am V-Jump. It’s a monthly magazine from Shueisha, primarily focused on video games, released on the 21st of each month (barring a Sunday or holiday, in which case it gets moved up to the next appropriate day).

Everything you could want to know about the magazines-

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2017/03/16/s ... -buy-them/
Thanks for the link!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 am

I spent two hours making these dumb rice cooker jokes: https://twitter.com/KBABZonTV/status/12 ... 4690722816

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:39 pm

OMG THAT AWESOME AND FUNNY!!!

lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:56 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 pm Does anyone know where this English gt opening comes from?

https://youtu.be/aWYLoDvrZSE

It says its from a vhs but I have most of the non 'lost episode ' vhs singles and it's not on them. Is it on the lost episodes singles? I know I known its gt but I'm genuinely curious.
It came from the Dragon Ball GT TV Special Four Star Dragon Ball is the Proof of Courage, known here in America as A Hero's Legacy. For some reason, only that TV Special used the extended version of the English Dub Theme for GT.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56 pm

How can piccolo regenerate basically from the neck down, but king piccolo couldn't regenerate from a hole in the chest? Cause he was tapped out?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:37 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56 pm How can piccolo regenerate basically from the neck down, but king piccolo couldn't regenerate from a hole in the chest? Cause he was tapped out?
That was always my assumption.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.