DBZ in syndication on Japanese TV?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Castor Troy
I Live Here

DBZ in syndication on Japanese TV?

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:24 pm

I'm sure most of us are aware of the original late 80's-early 90's airdates of the entire series. After the series ended, did they ever re-run episodes? Show the movies on TV? etc..

I used to hear rumors like the series being re-run on Japanese TV quite a few times, the ratings were horrible, etc..

Anyone have a general idea what the series run in Japan was like? Considering the world wide phenomenon the series is. :)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:02 pm

The podcast with Mike's friend from Japan (who covertly takes pictures of children in shopping malls) said spmething about asking the kids about it. I think they said they watch it on TV, they may have mentioned the channel, or I maye be completly imagining this. :P

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Well, this may not help much, but the International Channel is known for showing some of the same shows shown in the countries that originally air them, for example the DB/Z series.

Also, if you pay attention to the credits for the entire DB/Z/GT run, you'll see the International Channel Kids' logo near the end (FYI, it's that big eyeball with the long eyelashes), so there should be some kind of connection between those TV networks.

Back when it was on the air, from what I remember, on the I-Channel aired here, it was on at 6/6:30-ish and aired the entire series weekly every Sunday. When it came to the ratings, I'm sure that they were pretty good, since I remember them airing the Cell Games Saga all the way through the end of GT, as well as the GT special.

So, I guess I'm basically saying that I'm sure that the ratings were still good enough in Japan to be aired on the I-Channel in America. Also, keep in mind that the I-Channel is aimed at the people who understand the language(s) being spoken on the shows they air, not those hardcore anime fans. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, the channel they mentioned on the podcast was SkyPerfect. From the way it was mentioned, I'm guessing it was something like TVLand or Boomerang here in America.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:27 pm

I do recall checking the Fuji TV site sometime ago and seeing a schedule for episode airdates. All three had finished reairing at some point last year, I think it was.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:36 pm

I used to watch DBZ on the I channel, although I caught it around the Junior Tenka-ichi Budokai in the Buu saga. I would dare say that the I channel's quality was far worse than CN and FUNi's because of the MASSIVE amount of dirt and grain on the picture. I even caught a hairball on the screen during the episode when Majin Vegeta sacrifices himself. :x

Would the current Dragonboxes/R2 dvds be a good indicator how good the quality was during the show's initial broadcast?

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Would the current Dragonboxes/R2 dvds be a good indicator how good the quality was during the show's initial broadcast?
Ugh, those hairballs...
Anyways, the original quality doesn't necessarily have to have been as good as the R2s, especially with the early DB episodes. Keep in mind that the TV broadcasting quality as well as the TVs themselves weren't at their peaks when they were being first aired :?...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:07 pm

I believe in whatever podcast it was, Andrew said some of the children watched it on Satellite tv? I may be wrong, but I think he said that.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:21 pm

I have no idea if this information is correct, but this asian kid that I used to go to high school with, who apparently had watched the series in Japan on TV, told me that the episodes came on once a week, every Sunday morning (maybe it was Saturday :?.....who knows). And he also said that the entire DB, DBZ & DBGT series' aired straight through without any wide gaps in between the different "sagas". It wasn't like what we American kids had to go through......waiting months for the next sagas to come out.

Again, this is what I was told years ago.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:33 pm

Grandmaster J wrote:I have no idea if this information is correct, but this asian kid that I used to go to high school with, who apparently had watched the series in Japan on TV, told me that the episodes came on once a week, every Sunday morning (maybe it was Saturday :?.....who knows). And he also said that the entire DB, DBZ & DBGT series' aired straight through without any wide gaps in between the different "sagas". It wasn't like what we American kids had to go through......waiting months for the next sagas to come out.

Again, this is what I was told years ago.
Weekly and without breaks, yes. Sunday mornings, I'm not so sure.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:01 pm

Last I checked it was still on Fuji Television in the afternoon. That was when I was at my girlfriend's house this past feb. You could easily check the schedule on the Fuji TV site.

They also air on the animation channel. Interestingly enough I witnessed that during a stay at a love hotel.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Hasn't GT been re-run in Japan recently?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:Hasn't GT been re-run in Japan recently?
As I and another have mentioned, it did pretty much rerun some time ago. :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:16 pm

I just searched google for the Internation Chanel, and it seems that it no longer exists. It was renamed to AZN TV on March 28, 2005. Hopefully they decide to show Dragonball again, because I really don't want to have to buy anymore DVDs.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:21 pm

gotenx wrote:I just searched google for the Internation Chanel, and it seems that it no longer exists. It was renamed to AZN TV on March 28, 2005.
Seriously?! I thought that was a separate channel all on its own!

Anyways, I would kinda mix up the I-Channel with KTSF, a public channel here, that pretty much shows the same type of programs that AZN used to air regularly (but that's another topic altogether).

I really doubt that AZN TV would air DragonBall anymore, since now, they're aiming for the Asian-American group nowadays :?...

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Last September when I was out in Japan, they we're showing reruns of Dragonball Z on some weird Anime channel. It was the Buu saga I believe. Also Dragonball GT was showing on Fuji TV.
Episodes we're broadcast weekly although sometimes for an unknown reason they skipped a week or to according to the TV animation guide.
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:06 pm

I always thought they aired it during primetime in it's initial run.