How will DragonBall Z celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2019?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How will DragonBall Z celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2019?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:49 pm

I would imagine putting the series out on Blu-Ray in Japan for the first time will be how they do that, assuming the movies are being done as a testbed for it and are deemed successful.

Who knows, maybe they'll Kai Kai and put in the original Kikuchi music placements (ah who am I kidding, they'd never do that, that costs money!).

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Maybe they will actually reanimate the series, its doubtful but I would like them to.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:24 pm

I imagine there will be a TV special remake of the Saiyan arc, perhaps? I kind of doubt we'll get another movie but I do think we'll get a new TV series, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:44 am

JulieYBM wrote:I imagine there will be a TV special remake of the Saiyan arc, perhaps? I kind of doubt we'll get another movie but I do think we'll get a new TV series, too.
I'd love to see Shintani headline the Vegeta battle.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:43 am

KBABZ wrote:I would imagine putting the series out on Blu-Ray in Japan for the first time will be how they do that, assuming the movies are being done as a testbed for it and are deemed successful.
I too think that. And they will probably censor middle fingers...
JulieYBM wrote:I imagine there will be a TV special remake of the Saiyan arc, perhaps? I.
Is there a reason you're imaging this?

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:18 am

sangofe wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I imagine there will be a TV special remake of the Saiyan arc, perhaps?
It’s not something that I’d actively predict myself, but they seem to do the “TV special remake of a previous story arc” thing fairly frequently with One Piece. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that they could do something similar with Dragon Ball.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:02 am

KBABZ wrote:I would imagine putting the series out on Blu-Ray in Japan for the first time will be how they do that, assuming the movies are being done as a testbed for it and are deemed successful.
What that would this mean for DragonBall Z Kai's existence if they do remaster the series again?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:11 am

TheRed259 wrote:
What that would this mean for DragonBall Z Kai's existence if they do remaster the series again?
That will just be the longer, older version of the show then I guess. For me the classic, original run of DBZ is the much-expanded version that everyone remembers fondly, while Kai is the edit with more brevity that adheres closer to Toriyama's take on story as far as what the sequence of events were (so no Fake Namek excursions), and tries to be more modern (for better or worse).

I think Toei did make a long-term mistake by not at least doing HD scans of the ENTIRE series back when the footage was younger (we're approaching a decade since Kai first came out, which is about a quarter of franchise's lifespan). It would have helped a lot with shots they redrew, and it would have enabled them to release it in HD later without having to go through and scan it all again (if a proper Blu-Ray from Toei does come out, you can bet it won't have any of the scans done for Kai). The reason why Toei would never have done that though is because it would have been a massive expense.
Last edited by KBABZ on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:13 am

TheRed259 wrote:
Nothing, Kai is still a wonderful product as is, and if all goes to plan we could see the Ocean dub on the new Canadian cable channel Wow TV to celebrate Kai's 10 years.

As to the original question, most likely TOEI will remaster the series for Blu-Ray, hopefully with no censorship but sadly I wouldn't count on it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:51 am

Some major event that will change DB history. Or a crossover event.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:15 pm

sangofe wrote:
I too think that. And they will probably censor middle fingers...
JulieYBM wrote:I imagine there will be a TV special remake of the Saiyan arc, perhaps? I.
One Piece does it but also it's the first arc, so a remake to show off Gokuu versus Vegeta again sounds like something they'd do.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:58 pm

KBABZ wrote:assuming the movies are being done as a testbed for it and are deemed successful.
I'm scared now...

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:01 am

"It's been 30 years already? Fuuuuuuck....I need a drink."

*Passes out*
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Some sort of a Dragon Ball Z special that lasts for 10-20mins.
KBABZ wrote:Who knows, maybe they'll Kai Kai and put in the original Kikuchi music placements (ah who am I kidding, they'd never do that, that costs money!).
Dafuq. Kai is done, that's it. If you want it improved then you've got do it yourself.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:03 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Who knows, maybe they'll Kai Kai and put in the original Kikuchi music placements (ah who am I kidding, they'd never do that, that costs money!).
Dafuq. Kai is done, that's it. If you want it improved then you've got do it yourself.
I was making a joke, dude.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Perhaps a proper remaster with 4:3 aspect ratio instead of shitty 16:9 cropping.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:44 pm

With absolutely nothing.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:Perhaps a proper remaster with 4:3 aspect ratio instead of shitty 16:9 cropping.
For reals, this is almost certainly what'll happen.

With the HD movies, the HD Bardock special, and sufficient time since the DBoxes having passed, we're almost certainly headed for this. It'll be all three series, Z will be first, and its first volume will release in 2019. DB and GT will follow, and all of it will be in giant, overpriced boxes with frustratingly limited runs, which will be re-released in small, frustratingly minuscule pieces that skip over the really great -- though frustratingly limited in quantity and scope -- bonus features. And Funimation will import some of it, but somehow screw it up or miss the point entirely(Bonus points if they exclude all the bonus features), and we'll all hold this stuff up on a pedestal as an unattainable gold standard, but in actual fact it's just barely good enough as a HD release to scrape by, which naturally means it's about a million times better than all other releases of its contents. Though even cynical gits like myself will admit it's the best there is.

Oh, and Toei will use optical audio on GT, even though they still have the high-quality stereo masters on the D2 videotape masters.

And when Ocean Kai starts airing in April, the internet will be abuzz irrationally trying to over-criticise it, even though it'll turn out to be a pretty good piece of work, and its presence on Canadian TV bringing new fans on-board will be a really great thing to happen on the 30th anniversary of Z.

Meanwhile, Super will bring back another "Classic" villain, and yet again somehow completely miss the point of what made them good originally, but somehow ratings and merch sales will continue to go through the roof.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Three words:

Live Sex Celebration