Vegito vs Gogeta I

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Vegito vs Gogeta I

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 pm

I heard on the dragon ball wikia that it is confirmed that Vegito and Gogeta are evenly matched, the only difference is time limit. And there is a Shonen Jump Issue that supports that claim. Thoughts anyone?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Vegito vs Gogeta I

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 pm I heard on the dragon ball wikia that it is confirmed that Vegito and Gogeta are evenly matched, the only difference is time limit. And there is a Shonen Jump Issue that supports that claim. Thoughts anyone?
This comes from the 1995 No. 28 issue of Weekly Shonen Jump's "Anime J-Wing" column...

... which we have translated in full here on the site. We translated and posted this back in December 2018.

The column's contents were printed there in June 1995 ahead of Vegetto's appearance in the anime (he had already debuted in the manga... in fact, the manga had just ENDED three weeks prior). DBZ movie 12 screened that March.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 pm

I see so the equality is true.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 pm

I'm not sure if it's been posted on the main site but Herms did a breakdown of all various references comparing Fusion Dance and Potara on twitter. The most recent source:

Finally, the latest Weekly Jump has a DBS: Broly promo piece describing Gogeta and Vegetto as “equally-matched ultimate trump cards” (いずれ劣らぬ最強最後の切札だ). If you’re a master of origami, you might be able to twist that into some shape that doesn’t spell Gogeta=Vegetto.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Who wrote that column? It doesn't seem like an authoritative opinion?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 pm Who wrote that column? It doesn't seem like an authoritative opinion?
I don't think Toriyama himself said anything regarding Vegetto vs Gogeta so we're left to the opinions of Shuiesha's staff and whatever they feel like writing in V-Jump and guidebooks. These various sources aren't really consistent because the Daizenshuu 7 states Potara is stronger. Maybe whoever wrote this assumed both fusions were at least equal since this is Toriyama's first time using Gogeta and Toriyama probably wouldn't have SSJB Gogeta to be weaker than SSJB Vegetto who had appeared a few sagas earlier.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:41 am

Let's face it: when Vegetto showed up in the manga, neither Goku nor Vegeta were complete SSJ Blue, but the movie made no reference to this form either, only that it's one step above SSJ God through its showings, and Blue went lower than the latter against Hit and Goku Black, until Goku and Vegeta used the God form to power it up, respectively. In other words: Gogeta might be stronger in Blue than Vegetto because the latter came at a point in time when more powerful forms were about to show up. The anime introduced an evolution beyond blue whose manga equivalent put the aura back on so that the movie doesn't have to be inconsistent with both in hindsight. All of this to say that we're comparing two different instances and that it's far more believable to take Gogeta and Vegetto with the same potential given that they're now under a time limit.