In the name of The Demon Lord Piccolo

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

andrew

In the name of The Demon Lord Piccolo

Post by andrew » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:09 pm

I'm not that good at scanning but i did the best i could.
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg13 ... 20Piccolo/

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Holy hell, you got it? Thank you so much for scanning this in. Some of the text seems a little hard to make out, but great job none the less. I'd try to do a translation, but I'm a little busy at the moment.

For those of you who don't know, "In the Name of Piccolo Daimao" is a comic that appeared in Dragon Ball Z Anime Special, a special book/magazine published by Shueisha. It was written and drawn by two members of the anime staff.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Herms wrote:Holy hell, you got it? Thank you so much for scanning this in. Some of the text seems a little hard to make out, but great job none the less. I'd try to do a translation, but I'm a little busy at the moment.

For those of you who don't know, "In the Name of Piccolo Daimao" is a comic that appeared in Dragon Ball Z Anime Special, a special book/magazine published by Shueisha. It was written and drawn by two members of the anime staff.
Wow. How have I not heard of this before? As soon as it's translated, I'll put it onto the pages.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:01 am

desirecampbell wrote: Wow. How have I not heard of this before? As soon as it's translated, I'll put it onto the pages.
I discussed them a bit in the Tales from the Daizenshuu thread. It's the first of three so-called "Outside Stories", the other two focusing on the backstory of Vegeta and Trunks. Daizenshuu 5 devotes two pages to information on these comics, which is the only reason I know about them at all. I am pretty surprised how little information on them is out there. I mean, Daizenshuu EX has a whole page on the not-quite-OVA, but I never saw the Outside Stories so much as mentioned by anyone in all my time as a Dragon Ball fan.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 am

Wow, I've never even heard of this...I can't wait for a translation.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:11 am

Hmm cool, I didn't know these existed. Where did you find this one?
Trans rights, now!

andrew

Post by andrew » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:25 am

SonEric84 wrote:Hmm cool, I didn't know these existed. Where did you find this one?
Scanned it from the Dragon Ball Z Anime Special.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:31 am

andrew wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:Hmm cool, I didn't know these existed. Where did you find this one?
Well I figured, but where did you get this "anime special?" :P
Trans rights, now!

andrew

Post by andrew » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 am

SonEric84 wrote:
andrew wrote:
Well I figured, but where did you get this "anime special?" :P
I got it from eienmic when he was selling it on eBay.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:48 am

Ohh, nice. Does it also have the other stories Herms mentioned, or are those in seperate books?
Trans rights, now!

andrew

Post by andrew » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:55 am

SonEric84 wrote:Ohh, nice. Does it also have the other stories Herms mentioned, or are those in seperate books?

Separate books

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:00 am

SonEric84 wrote:Ohh, nice. Does it also have the other stories Herms mentioned, or are those in seperate books?
Vegeta's story is in the Dragon Ball Z Anime Special II, and the Trunks one is in the Bardock special's anime comic (animanga-type thing).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am

Let me know how this is going and when it's done, if I don't happen to catch it in the thread. I'd love to promote it. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:33 am

OK, I was able to do the first page, though I had to squint a little. I won't be able to do the rest until later. Maybe this could be a serial? Notes in [ ].

Right-hand side
Original Illustrated Story [blue and grean boxed letters]

In the Name of Piccolo Daimao [white letters]

Bottom right
Writing: Takao Koyama
Pictures: Minoru Maeda

Top left
Five years after he had been defeated in his battle with Goku, Piccolo ended his training and vowed to have a showdown with Goku once again. However, Goku died, and the Earth has become endangered by the Saiyans. Gohan! Become strong and defeat the Saiyans! And Goku! I’ll settle things with you!

Bottom left
My birth was by no means blessed by all. After all, I was the reincarnation of Piccolo Daimao, who plunged the people of the world into the very depths of fear.

Secretly born into this world in exchange for my father’s life, I was a baby burdened with the destiny of an ill-omened star.

Well, I suppose that’s my fate…A child of the demon clan could only live as a demon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 am

Oh this is some really awesome stuff. Very enjoyable. :3 I've wondered about these mini-stories since I first heard of them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:47 am

Anyone else a bit disturbed that Piccolo is cooking meat... apparently to eat it? But then, I guess the manga also states that Kami moved down from the Highlands because "food was scarce".

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:58 am

FindKenshi wrote:Anyone else a bit disturbed that Piccolo is cooking meat... apparently to eat it? But then, I guess the manga also states that Kami moved down from the Highlands because "food was scarce".
I figure that Nameks can eat meat, they just don't need to. And Dende, having grown up on Namek, would be used to just drinking water, while the Earth-stranded Kami wouldn't know he could just survive on it.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:05 am

Wow, I had no idea any of this stuff existed, I hope someone has copies of the Trunks and Vegeta stories they can scan.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:17 am

Wow, this is really great stuff. There's a Trunks and Vegeta special as well? :?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:28 am

Super Saiyajin Furizahen 1

Would this be one of the specials?