How many galaxies in the Db universe?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

How many galaxies in the Db universe?

Post by Shineman » Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 pm

I know there for more than 4 galaxies. Because The universe is spilt up into four sectors and each of those sector contains it own set of galaxies.

So my question is, how many galaxies are there?
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon May 25, 2009 10:38 pm

I don't know where that idea came from, but I'm pretty sure there's just four galaxies in the mortal realm, each one with a Kaio to watch over it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Mon May 25, 2009 10:59 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I don't know where that idea came from, but I'm pretty sure there's just four galaxies in the mortal realm, each one with a Kaio to watch over it.
But that doesn't make sense :? I heard someone said there 16 galaxies in the db universe. But it only shown four (Maybe Buu destroyed them all in the anime)
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 am

And sixteen galaxies would make more sense than four... why? ^^;
It's four. Sorry.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 am

At last, I say four)))
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 am

There are four galaxies in the mortal universe: the north galaxy, the east galaxy, the west galaxy and the south galaxy.

Each of them has a Kaio.

The one who trained Goku is the North Kaio, who watches the North galaxy. In the manga the other Kaios aren`t shown, I think, but we get to see them in filler episodes during the "other world tournament" right after the Cell saga.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue May 26, 2009 7:38 am

The South Kaio is the only other one shown in the manga. He stops by to watch North Kaio training Goku.

And yeah, the manga, anime, and guidebooks are all consistent in saying that the living realm in DB consists of one single universe divided up into only four galaxies (sometimes called "areas").
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 pm

It seems this topic has been brought up a lot lately, and each time I try to remember where this whole "4 universes and 16 galaxies" rumor started, but I can't quite remember... until this morning. For those that have been around a while, you'll probably remember the website Planet Namek, the main culprit behind this galaxy rumor. They used to have a "Universe Guide", and like any well known and decent site in those days, everyone stole all their content. The site has been closed for quite some time now, but through the magic known as the interwebz, you can still find some of their guides floating around these days. Most of the sites using these guides don't usually credit where the content is originally from, or they themselves have no idea, so it can be hard to spot a Planet Namek guide unless you know what it is.

So, here's what was originally found in the "Universe Guide" on Planet Namek back in 1998 or so:
PlanetNamek.com wrote:When most of the powerful villains on Earth had been defeated, Toriyama looked to the stars for new enemies and inspiration. Dragonball takes place in the East portion of the universe, which contains four major galaxies. While Buu destroyed the North, South, and West clusters of galaxies, killing their respective Kaioshins and Kaios (He absorbs the Dai Kaioshin), there is way too little information on those systems to put them in this section. Hence, only the East section of the Universe is displayed. A chart of the god hierarchy is displayed at the bottom of this page...
Since being posted, this rumor has gradually spread across the internet and almost become gospel. If you want to check out the guide as it was originally shown, you can find it on My Favorite Games.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Takuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Takuy » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Hujio wrote:It seems this topic has been brought up a lot lately, and each time I try to remember where this whole "4 universes and 16 galaxies" rumor started, but I can't quite remember... until this morning. For those that have been around a while, you'll probably remember the website Planet Namek, the main culprit behind this galaxy rumor. They used to have a "Universe Guide", and like any well known and decent site in those days, everyone stole all their content. The site has been closed for quite some time now, but through the magic known as the interwebz, you can still find some of their guides floating around these days. Most of the sites using these guides don't usually credit where the content is originally from, or they themselves have no idea, so it can be hard to spot a Planet Namek guide unless you know what it is.

So, here's what was originally found in the "Universe Guide" on Planet Namek back in 1998 or so:
PlanetNamek.com wrote:When most of the powerful villains on Earth had been defeated, Toriyama looked to the stars for new enemies and inspiration. Dragonball takes place in the East portion of the universe, which contains four major galaxies. While Buu destroyed the North, South, and West clusters of galaxies, killing their respective Kaioshins and Kaios (He absorbs the Dai Kaioshin), there is way too little information on those systems to put them in this section. Hence, only the East section of the Universe is displayed. A chart of the god hierarchy is displayed at the bottom of this page...
Since being posted, this rumor has gradually spread across the internet and almost become gospel. If you want to check out the guide as it was originally shown, you can find it on My Favorite Games.
http://www.unrivaled.info/anime/dragonb ... verse2.htm
This side also says something similar.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 pm

But wasn't the North,west,south and east galaxies part of the estern sector(quadrant(spelled wrong?)) Which Eastern Kaioshin look over?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Shineman wrote:But wasn't the North,west,south and east galaxies part of the estern sector(quadrant(spelled wrong?)) Which Eastern Kaioshin look over?
The Kaios each look over a quarter of the universe, so one galaxy each. Meanwhile the Kaioshin each look over a quarter of the universe, a quarter of Hell, a quarter of Heaven, and quarter of whatever else exists. So the fact that the other Kaioshin died just means East Kaioshin's responsibilities changed to being responsible for everything.

Although, one could argue there are 16 galaxies, as each timeline has 4 galaxies and it seems implied that at least 4 timelines exist.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue May 26, 2009 10:55 pm

Shineman wrote:But wasn't the North,west,south and east galaxies part of the estern sector(quadrant(spelled wrong?)) Which Eastern Kaioshin look over?
No, there's just one universe divided into four galaxies/areas, with no other universes, sectors, or quadrants in the equation. Each of the four Kaio look over one of these galaxies in the living realm, while as Dayspring said, the four Kaioshin look over both the galaxies in the living (same as the Kaio), and the afterlife as well. But of course, now that East Kaioshin is the only Kaioshin left, he's basically stuck watching over everything on his own.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed May 27, 2009 8:43 am

But that doesn't make sense :Confused: I heard someone said there 16 galaxies in the db universe. But it only shown four (Maybe Buu destroyed them all in the anime)
There's just the four galaxies. North, South, East, and West. Buu never destroyed a galaxy just hundreds (or was it thousands?) of individual planets.
I knew I'd seen that somewhere.

I'm betting they just said "Well, the East Kaioshin was the only survivor, and we know there's for galaxies... I bet each Kaioshin over saw four and the other 12 were destroyed!" >.>
But wasn't the North,west,south and east galaxies part of the estern sector(quadrant(spelled wrong?)) Which Eastern Kaioshin look over?
No, the hierarchy works like this:

Kami: Oversees a single planet.
Kaio: Oversees a single galaxy.
Dai Kaio: Oversees all four galaxies.
Kaioshin: Oversees a single galaxy and it's afterlife counterpart.
Dai Kaioshin: Oversees everything.

At least, normally, but East Kaioshin's the only one left so he's got the job of all the Kaioshin and the Dai Kaioshin.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed May 27, 2009 8:46 am

Xyex wrote:There's just the four galaxies. North, South, East, and West. Buu never destroyed a galaxy just hundreds (or was it thousands?) of individual planets.
Kaioshin says hundreds when he's explaining about Boo to everyone.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 am

Herms wrote:
Xyex wrote:There's just the four galaxies. North, South, East, and West. Buu never destroyed a galaxy just hundreds (or was it thousands?) of individual planets.
Kaioshin says hundreds when he's explaining about Boo to everyone.
Anime or manga? And hundreds of what?
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu May 28, 2009 5:19 am

Hundreds of planets. It's in both the manga and anime.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:11 pm

There are indeed 4 galaxies, except in the movies storyline which has Broly destroying one, which makes 3. The movie ends without any hint that this galaxy will be revived.

However, the movies storyline is set apart from the manga (obviously) and even the anime, because of the fact they can never be integrated in there (except for one). Therefore, some consider that each story is independant and happens in its own world, others consider that the movies all happen in some kind of parallel universe and all share a common alternative storyline. Others simply don't think that far and judge the movies are bonus which are not part of any storyline in any universe, not even "what if" stories.

So that was just a trivia note, there is indeed a Dragon Ball storyline in which there are not 4 galaxies in the Dragon Ball universe... just 3. It depends on your interpretation of the movies then. What is certain is that the mainstream storyline, whether you consider it to be only the manga or both the manga and anime, has 4 galaxies, we all confirm it to you.