Episode #0058 (31 December 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:35 pm

EvilGamerX wrote:THAT WOULD KICK ASS!

Don Patch Vegeta would be an awesome character to unlock!
Then again, Don Patch's select-motion in JUS is SSj Vegeta :P Was that gag parody so popular that it became almost common knowledge among the manga world?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:39 pm

I guess. Didn't Don Patch and Vegeta have a team-up special in the first one?

I don't know if it is the parody itself that was so popular... or if it was Don Patch Vegeta for the win. I know I love it (as if my avatar didn't already show it).
- Life is a game, play it!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Nice podcast. It was cool to finally know your guys' opinions on these season sets. With you guys going over past news, it makes me realize just how much has gone on.

Keep up the good work and happy '07!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:59 pm

EvilGamerX wrote:I would prefer Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo more than Bleach to be honest.
I agree. Don Patch & Son Goku....

Son Goku: Kamehameha!!!
Don Patch: I'M DEAD!!!
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:57 pm

Good podcast episode! It's nice to hear your opinions on all that has happened in 2006.

2006 seems to have been a very big year for DB. So many games and a lot of DVD's and CD's as well. Personally i don't think i will be getting the Funimation box sets. Sure they have a lot of nice things but the wide screen thing is really annoying and i think i will dedicate my money to buying Japanese Gintama and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo DVD's.

Speaking of Bobobo, i agree with everything EvilGamerX has stated. I loved D.O.N as well and cant see why Meri didn't like it. Oh well, each to their own i guess. As a Bobobo fan i would also like to see Don Patch in a DB game, but the chances for that are almost non-existant of course. Oh well, i can always dream. :)

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:20 am

Great podcast! Congrats on a solid year (and two months) of podcasting! You guys are consistently informative and entertaining and the show has never once let me down. I'm sure you'll keep it up. Looking forward to another great year in DBZ fandom and lots of sweet podcast episodes. Thanks for the laughs!

LOL-OCAUST:
Corey wrote:Am I the only one who's loved their evidence so far? I mean, we've gotten what? Gohan's eye, we've gotten Kaio sama standing there and we've gotten, uh... Gregory. I'm like wow, that's... that's the shit I was really hoping wouldn't get cut out. Sure enough, it's all there.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:57 pm

MajinMetroid wrote:LOL-OCAUST:
Corey wrote:Am I the only one who's loved their evidence so far? I mean, we've gotten what? Gohan's eye, we've gotten Kaio sama standing there and we've gotten, uh... Gregory. I'm like wow, that's... that's the shit I was really hoping wouldn't get cut out. Sure enough, it's all there.
Come on, you can't tell me you weren't thinking the same thing ;)

-Corey

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:07 pm

Hm, The obvious solution would be to have two versions. Like they do for movies.
But that would be too much work
Or maybe make the DVD dual sided where one side plays the widescreen version and the other for fullscreen. But I've only ever seen one DVD that was like that, so I have no clue.
I'll still buy it
[url=http://phred.thegreatbeyond.net]Comix Productions[/url]

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Are you kidding? FUNimation is too cheap too do that, at least with Dragonball.

If they were smart, and weren't going to go about this as cheaply as possible, they wouldv'e finished the Ultimate Uncuts, and THEN anounced the widescreen bullshit, because they probably won't release a fullscreen version after this release, unless they end up cropping the widescreen version into fullscreen.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:20 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote: [...] they probably won't release a fullscreen version after this release, unless they end up cropping the widescreen version into fullscreen.
Woah, you mean double cropping?! I could see FUNi doing something like that-- "Remastered in Full Screen!*"

*technically
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:20 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:...unless they end up cropping the widescreen version into fullscreen.
That would be the stupidest thing in the history of home video releases...

Still, Corey's thoughts on the Kaio-sama, Gregory, and Gohan's eye were hilarious! XD

OH SNAP! 1,000th post!

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
nathantheguitarist wrote:...unless they end up cropping the widescreen version into fullscreen.
That would be the stupidest thing in the history of home video releases...
And you KNOW it would be FUNimation to do it :lol:

They've already cancelled a decent line of release, just to re-re-release the same episodes in the tainted format of widescreen. It would only be them to "listen" to the fans who want fullscreen, and to then proceed to cancel these releases, and release the Vegeta/Saiyan Saga for the 9th time, using their widescreen masters cropped to fullscreen. :evil:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Great podcast guys (yay for the cliche post beginning) Good to hear someone is also aware of the dragon box stuff, I personally have no clue, I just have normal DVD's. :)
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:25 am

Nice Podcast guys! Really tackeled about everything! Can't wait for Episode 59! (^^)
Sebastian (SB) wrote:
nathantheguitarist wrote:
Sebastian (SB) wrote:lol......Battle Stadium B.O.N.D......that would be awesome.
I hope I don't sound retarded, but what would the "B." be?
Bleach, another popular Shonen Jump anime/manga.
Oh, so you like Bleach as well my friend? *points to signature and own website* Maybe you'd like to help me out? (^^)
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:44 am

About the dual sided widescreen/fullscreen DVD's, there are others
Material Girls
Napoleon Dynamite(Leetness)
The Notebook
Hangman's Curse
The visitation
Just to name some.

Back on topic. If they have the original Japanese on those DVDs, then I'd buy em'. Do you know why? Because I'm a sucker! :lol:

I'd also like to see Battle Stadium B.O.N.D.S. The "S" stands for Shonen Jump....hmm....never mind...
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:43 am

About the dual sided disc thing.

I have one of Jackie Chans movies like that, with widescreen on one side, and full on the other. But in all seriousness, how would that make the sets not have another little pet peeve if they did that? Because DBZ is something I would want to keep forever (or at least as long as I can, and then pass on to my children), a dual sided release would make it cheaper than it already is, because dvds are already bastards to not scratch, and dual sided dvds only make it worse... and unfortunately this is the case with my Jackie Chan movie :lol:

And even if they did think about doing a double sided thing, it would obviously be a last minute thing, and they would further taint these awesome sets by double cropping the widescreen version just to put out the fullscreen. I hate to say it, but it seems if the release IS going to be Febuary 6th, then any fullscreen release is either going to delay that (maybe another fucking year knowing FUNi), or is going to take the cheap and fast way out, double cropping: cropping the already cropped widescreen version, so it looks as bad as their little "overscan" bullshit comparison.

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Will there be one for this sunday? Or do you guys need some well earnt rest?
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:12 pm

What do you all expect? FUNimation is a small time company (however big she has become, she is still small) just trying to make money and prepare for the next wave of Home Entertainment techonology. If FUNimation went with this decision, then they've must have some sort of credible idea that what they're doing is right. Stop trying to villiafy FUNimation for trying to live, at least you get the bloody original music, an English dub, the JPN recordings, and most probably some cool extras (I hope to God for some cast interviews with the dub crew).

Call me a traitor, a fool, a ignorant or whatever, when it comes down to it, not everything is perfect and in 30 years when the series gets rereleased again, be there to buy in whatever format/shape/whatever it is in.

By the way, this comes out 2/6/2007, right?

~Yūgi's Black Magician
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:What do you all expect? FUNimation is a small time company (however big she has become, she is still small)
FUNimation is owned by Navarre, a fairly big company.
If FUNimation went with this decision, then they've must have some sort of credible idea that what they're doing is right.
They might have thought they did at the time, but the fan reaction proves that it was a stupid idea. Everything they've said since then has just been damage control (and poorly done damage control at that).
Stop trying to villiafy FUNimation for trying to live, at least you get the bloody original music, an English dub, the JPN recordings, and most probably some cool extras (I hope to God for some cast interviews with the dub crew).
Unfortunately, we don't get ~15% of the show itself. To many people, me included, this negates any pluses the release had. What good are extras if they can't even get the most basic of basics right?
Call me a traitor, a fool, a ignorant or whatever, when it comes down to it, not everything is perfect and in 30 years when the series gets rereleased again, be there to buy in whatever format/shape/whatever it is in.
You're allowed to buy it or not buy it, that's your decision. Nonetheless, the people annoyed at FUNimation have perfectly valid reasons to be so.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:What do you all expect? FUNimation is a small time company (however big she has become, she is still small) just trying to make money and prepare for the next wave of Home Entertainment techonology. If FUNimation went with this decision, then they've must have some sort of credible idea that what they're doing is right. Stop trying to villiafy FUNimation for trying to live, at least you get the bloody original music, an English dub, the JPN recordings, and most probably some cool extras (I hope to God for some cast interviews with the dub crew).

By the way, this comes out 2/6/2007, right?

~Yūgi's Black Magician
Who are you directing this towards?

The podcasters? If so, please realize that... uhh... we're saying what the news is. And giving our opinions on it. 'Cuz that's what a podcast is. If you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it.

The responders? Same thing goes. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. We're letting you speak yours, so don't tell us we're not allowed to say ours. In a nutshell, that's what you've done without using those exact words. You get to speak with your wallet and words, and we get to speak with ours.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::