The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 04, 2016 3:10 am

Art is subjective.

Raising Arizona is the best Cohen Brothers film.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1978
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 04, 2016 3:22 am

Fargo and The Big Lebowski are my favourites. I've yet to watch Raising Arizona.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 04, 2016 3:24 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Fargo and The Big Lebowski are my favourites. I've yet to watch Raising Arizona.
It's very good. The Big Lebowski is probably my second favorite.

This thread is now about Cohen Brothers movies. I found Burn After Reading a little too motivelessly misanthropic to function.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1978
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 04, 2016 3:25 am

Cipher wrote:This thread is now about Cohen Brothers movies.
I am okay with this.

EDIT: Oh shit! I'm a regular now. Yipee.
I found Burn After Reading a little too motivelessly misanthropic to function.
Yeah I thought the same when I watched that as well. To be honest, even though the Coen brothers get a lot of praise for their work I do find that their stuff is hit and miss... mostly hit.

I wasn't a big fan of their latest film Hail, Caesar! I didn't laugh much and the overall plot and characters of the film didn't mesh well with me.

I really loved their film before that, Inside Llewyn Davis, really great stuff.

User avatar
Blade
I Live Here
Posts: 2267
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Blade » Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 am

'Fluxus is what Fluxus does – but no one knows whodunit' - Emmett Williams.

Sure, I'm game for a discussion on the nature of the art object - but I've got a feeling that the person who made this thread isn't.

So I'll leave you with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfP5OMCfiZs
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed May 04, 2016 5:24 am

Art definitely is subjective, but at the same time there are opinions that are too dumb to engage with and debate.

User avatar
TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by TenshinFan » Wed May 04, 2016 5:32 am

Cipher wrote:Art is subjective.

Raising Arizona is the best Cohen Brothers film.
Raising Arizona is very good, but I would rank it fourth behind O Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo, and The Ladykillers.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 04, 2016 6:32 am

TenshinFan wrote:Raising Arizona is very good, but I would rank it fourth behind O Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo, and The Ladykillers.
Fargo's a maybe for me, but just doesn't hit quite as hard. O Brother Where Art Thou I never got super into; it's a fun sort of spectacle, but it never really touched me. I haven't seen Ladykillers.

I think they really nailed their blend of comic misanthropy and quirky sentiment in Arizona, and found a way to bring it to life through frequent use of heightened imagery that somehow never feels out of place within its blue-collar desert setting. I don't know; I think it's really remarkable. Like Super Saiyan Swagger though, they're hit or miss for me. When they hit, it's strong. When they miss--well, I have a feeling it's still for someone, but it isn't for more, and it becomes kind of a slog.
Blade wrote:'Fluxus is what Fluxus does – but no one knows whodunit' - Emmett Williams.
Oh my god. Is this going to be a Fluxus thread now too?

Be still my heart. This is some good Kanzenshuu right here.

While we're at it and talking about Fluxus (this is a longshot) one of the things I really appreciate about Dragon Ball, to bring things moderately back on track, is just how transparent its craft is--as in, you can easily see Toriyama's hand behind it nearly the entire time. It's very much a product of being serialized, very much a product of personal amusement. It does put it into a different sort of framework from other narrative if you want to start talking about its craft. (The fact that it's all backed by incredibly skilled art by someone who, again seems very eager to show off and improve, both bolsters this feeling and reduces some awareness of those seams in a way that might otherwise be distracting.) I think it's been discussed once or twice on here, notably in some thread Kunzait was involved in, but that feeling is something missing in the new material, as a small point of distinction.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed May 04, 2016 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: The whole "Art is subjective" thing here

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 am

saiyanvegetable wrote:You're wrong. Ask any real artist.
You have not contributed anything of value to the discussion yourself. If you're not willing to engage, why should anyone else put in the effort?

Contributions of this type are in massive conflict with our community guidelines. Please review them - you agreed to them (twice) prior to registration. An account strike has been lodged against your account.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

Locked