Does Vegeta care for the Z fighters?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Does Vegeta care for the Z fighters?

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:32 am

Here's something I've been thinking about, throughout dragonball and dragonball Z we've seen characters have strong reactions to character deaths I.e goku to krillin, krillin to Yamcha.

And I know that Vegeta had an outburst for trunks' death. And I suspect he would react to Goku's death.

But I'm unsure how much he's grown to care for the Z fighters. Would he have an outburst if he saw goten or krillin or anybody barring his family/goku die before him?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does Vegeta care for the Z fighters?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 am

His son and Goten are best friends, so I find it hard to believe he doesn't care about Goten at all. Plus he did seem pretty mad when he thought that Buu killed Gohan, so that's something.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:48 am

outside of the Son family

Vegeta has gotten a lot more accustomed to earth and developed much so.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:19 am

When he found out Freeza killed Piccolo he didn't react or do anything but neither did Goku which is probably due to the current writing style cause in the past they took death seriously while now based on how they reacted to Piccolo's death, it's a non issue.

Based on how death was taken in the original, everyone would've wanted his head on their wall if RF was part of the original manga, especially Gohan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:28 pm

I think certainly does carry some concern for the Z-Fighters. There was a scene in Resurrection F where Krillin was coming to Goku to give him a senzu bean and then Freeza was about to blast him but Vegeta got in the way deflect the blast away. There was also that scene in DBZ Movie 13 where Vegeta created a energy shield to protect some innocent bystanders in a building from Hirudegarn's fire breath. So I think at the very least he has a degree of concern for others outside of his family.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 pm

sintzu wrote:When he found out Freeza killed Piccolo he didn't react or do anything but neither did Goku which is probably due to the current writing style cause in the past they took death seriously while now based on how they reacted to Piccolo's death, it's a non issue.

Based on how death was taken in the original, everyone would've wanted his head on their wall if RF was part of the original manga, especially Gohan.

To be fair everyone has died and been brought back 10000000000000000 times already and they know there is an afterlife so its probably like....meh.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 pm

He cares.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:33 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:To be fair everyone has died and been brought back 10000000000000000 times already and they know there is an afterlife so its probably like....meh.
That's true but still, if you saw someone you know get attacked you're going to at least get upset even though you know they'll be alright.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:To be fair everyone has died and been brought back 10000000000000000 times already and they know there is an afterlife so its probably like....meh.
That's true but still, if you saw someone you know get attacked you're going to at least get upset even though you know they'll be alright.
Yeah you are right on that.

I also think the fact that before DBZ Goku had only seen Master Roshi and Chiaotzu die really. By the time Super rolls around they have all seen so much death and chaos it's natural they would be less impacted by it as they progress.

100% Agree they should have some reaction though.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:25 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:By the time Super rolls around they have all seen so much death and chaos it's natural they would be less impacted by it as they progress.
The Buu arc wasn't long before RF and when they thought Vegeta and Gohan were killed they flipped, Goku didn't lose it like Bulma but you could tell it really got to him.

When Piccolo died, no one cared or had any reaction and Goku probably felt more sorry for Ginyu then he did Piccolo cause at least he said something about it.

How is Piccolo still friends with them ? :lol:

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:08 am

Vegeta seemed noticeably upset by Gohan's death, even in his Majin state.

I think by the point he is in Super now, he would definitely do what he could to protect any of the Z-fighters. He would never say it out loud, but I think he considers many of them to be friends.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 am

MaxZ wrote:Vegeta seemed noticeably upset by Gohan's death, even in his Majin state.

I think by the point he is in Super now, he would definitely do what he could to protect any of the Z-fighters. He would never say it out loud, but I think he considers many of them to be friends.
Yeah, or maybe not friends but people he sort of knows and wouldn't mind protecting.

Does Tien still hate Vegeta? I wonder if he would stop if Vegeta directly saved him and/or Chiaotzu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 am

dario03 wrote:Does Tien still hate Vegeta?
During the RF arc he was the 1st and I think only one to say that Vegeta might go back to working for Freeza after he attacked Goku.

I'm not sure he hates him but I don't think he trusts him.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:05 am

I feel piccolo has gotten over his hatred of Vegeta.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:09 am

He threw his pride on the line to please Beerus when he heared he was at Bulma's birthday party.
dario03 wrote:Does Tien still hate Vegeta?
Yes.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:52 pm

sintzu wrote:During the RF arc he was the 1st and I think only one to say that Vegeta might go back to working for Freeza after he attacked Goku.
Yeah, what was with that? They really don't trust Vegeta at all, do they? Show some respect...

I agree with some of the things that have already been said. He does inside, but he would never, ever say it out loud.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:07 pm

But if in a hypothetical scenario he was fighting a new villain alongside piccolo tien Yamcha and krillin. And then the villain killed those guys would Vegeta get a rage power up/new form?

On a scale of 1-10 how much has he grown to care for everyone?

I'd imagine Tien/chaozu would be lowest considering those guys didn't even bother seeing their best friends over the 7 year gap between cell and buu.

Do we think Vegeta saw the likes of Krillin and Yamcha over that 7 year gap? (Yamcha lives at capsule Corp doesn't he?)

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:But if in a hypothetical scenario he was fighting a new villain alongside piccolo tien Yamcha and krillin. And then the villain killed those guys would Vegeta get a rage power up/new form?

On a scale of 1-10 how much has he grown to care for everyone

I'd imagine Tien/chaozu would be lowest considering those guys didn't even bother seeing their best friends over the 7 year gap between cell and buu.

Do we think Vegeta saw the likes of Krillin and Yamcha over that 7 year gap? (Yamcha lives at capsule Corp doesn't he?)
Does he? I thought he got kicked out of Capsule Corp?

Rage/Power up would only be for Trunks, Bulma, Goku...Whis? I dunno I mean he spent 6 months of one on one training where he probably despised how strong he was but still. He would probably be more scared than anything if someone managed to take down Whis.

Aside from them, I'd say Gohan, Goten, Piccolo, and maybe Krillin are the only other people who Vegeta would have some sort of angry reaction to their death.

Majin Buu, Dende, Popo, Karin, Yajirobe, any Kais, Android 18, Roshi, Chichi, Videl, and Satan are probably more neutral for him.

Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu probably still don't trust him fully (Mainly Tenshinhan). These are also the people he wouldn't have much of a reaction for.

All of this is my opinion obviously.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Hmm... ya Goku & his kids .

Here is vegitas pecking order
  • Vegeta's mustache
    Bulma
    Trunks
    Goku
    Berus
    Whis
    Goten
    Gohan
    Piccolo
    Kuririn
    Yajirobi
    Tien
    Everyone else

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:48 pm

flashback0180 wrote:Hmm... ya Goku & his kids .

Here is vegitas pecking order
  • Vegeta's mustache
    Bulma
    Trunks
    Goku
    Berus
    Whis
    Goten
    Gohan
    Piccolo
    Kuririn
    Yajirobi