Why Bulma knew about the blue hair of Mirai Trunks?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hit!!
Regular

Re: Why Bulma knew about the blue hair of Mirai Trunks?

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:09 am

Kishido wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Eh either way it's stupid. Either an oopsy in dialogue or something nobody would actually buy for a minute. But I like the crazy theory of Bulma can see the future. That's so Bulma.
No it is a recton... Nothing more.

Stupid it is... But damn it is just a color. Same as Vegeta's hair at the beginning of Z/manga was brown
Vegeta only lasted 1 episode with red hair. That's not a valid comparison.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 am

No, it was definitely more than one. He had red hair in his first appearance, and he had red hair in the Arlia episode too. At least.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:27 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Eh either way it's stupid. Either an oopsy in dialogue or something nobody would actually buy for a minute. But I like the crazy theory of Bulma can see the future. That's so Bulma.
You mean, That's So Raven.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:31 am

Marco Polo wrote:Blue and purple are the same words in Japanese...
Nope:

青 "Aoi" means blue or bluish black (or green in old japanese).
藍 "Ai" means indigo.
紫 "Murasaki" means purple or violet.

And IYRC the only error is not having Bulma and Trunks with the same hair color. Purple or blue doesn't matter. Just get them the same.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Another inconsistent thing are the skin color's. Goku's skin has been white, tan, or even a dark tan like in GT.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:34 pm

kinisking wrote:Another inconsistent thing are the skin color's. Goku's skin has been white, tan, or even a dark tan like in GT.
Let's not even get into the major inconsistency with height that has plagued the series for years. Let's face it, when it comes to the minor details, Dragon Ball always seems to make mistakes. Whether its from Toriyama or Toei.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Puto wrote:No, it was definitely more than one. He had red hair in his first appearance, and he had red hair in the Arlia episode too. At least.
The Arlia episode was filler.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 pm

And in Dragon Ball Kai, Vegeta's hair is black in his first appearance. That obviously is because Toriyama didn't have in mind that Saiyans hair are black.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:23 pm

Grimlock wrote:And in Dragon Ball Kai, Vegeta's hair is black in his first appearance. That obviously is because Toriyama didn't have in mind that Saiyans hair are black.
Or he didn't give any instructions about to colourists.

The issue is not that Trunks have blue hair. Is that Bulma refer to him as "the blue haired guy", while his son have violet hair and Future Trunks too.
No need for an explanation, there's no theory... It was a narrative mistake.
"The guy have a sword?"
"The guy have a short jacket with CapsuleCorp logo?"
Or she simply LOOK AT HIM and recognize him.
These variations could have spared us for such a bad mistake (and Pilaf telling us "he look like you", while it doesn't at all...).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:33 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:The issue is not that Trunks have blue hair. Is that Bulma refer to him as "the blue haired guy", while his son have violet hair and Future Trunks too.
"The guy have a sword?"
These variations could have spared us for such a bad mistake (and Pilaf telling us "he look like you", while it doesn't at all...).
Its likely not a narrative mistake. Seems to me like they're trying to establish a retcon. Dragon Ball Super is trying to tell us that Mirai Trunks' hair has always been blue.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 pm

How could it have been a mistake if there were literal flashbacks of the Android arc shown?

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:
Grimlock wrote:And in Dragon Ball Kai, Vegeta's hair is black in his first appearance. That obviously is because Toriyama didn't have in mind that Saiyans hair are black.
Or he didn't give any instructions about to colourists.

The issue is not that Trunks have blue hair. Is that Bulma refer to him as "the blue haired guy", while his son have violet hair and Future Trunks too.
"The guy have a sword?"
I'm starting to think the blue hair comment was on purpose and Toei is trolling us

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Hit!! wrote:
We're obviously talking about an In-universe explanation.
In universe? I'm telling you, they want us to accept that Trunks' hair has always been blue. Either that or Bulma was somehow able to oversee the Future Timeline (highly unlikely). None of the Z fighters acknowledged it. On the contrary, they said he looks EXACTLY like present Trunks.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 am

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:34 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
You mean, That's So Raven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
MadSaiyantist wrote:Its likely not a narrative mistake. Seems to me like they're trying to establish a retcon. Dragon Ball Super is trying to tell us that Mirai Trunks' hair has always been blue.
I find that quite odd when they've been showing Future Trunks with purple hair so much, that now all the sudden they retcon that if that's the case? Still it's not that big a deal. It's stupid, but it's a rather innocent crime/possible retcon. Saying Trunks always had blue hair wouldn't really affect continuity anyways.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Xiao Long Li

Post by Xiao Long Li » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:27 pm

It would bother me less if Present Trunks also had blue hair like he did in the anime concept art (or if they changed Bulma's hair to purple just like it was in the manga). Now we have Present Trunks and Future Trunks having different hair colors despite being the same human being. Gokuu Black and Gokuu honestly need more "differentiation" than the two Trunks, and that differentiation is already taken care of with different attires. Not only do the two Trunks have different attires aside from the boots, Future Trunks is already a grown-ass man while Present Trunks is a pint-sized kid.

I would be equally bothered if they suddenly gave Gokuu green hair to "differentiate" him from Goten and Gohan.

Anyways, nothing is said about Present Trunks having purple hair, so now we're to assume he's the one with the incorrect (anime) color and actually has blue hair.
First off, yeah, purple is murasaki in Japanese. Whereas blue and green are aoi and midori.

Furthermore, Bulma doesn't use any of those words when she referenced Future Trunks having blue hair. 「ブルーの髪の色」 She used the English word for "blue".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:37 pm

I assume Trunks visited Bulma one time see how she is doing etc and told him he dyed his hair blue as a sign of moving forward and leaving all the mess of the androids behind him.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Xiao Long Li wrote:It would bother me less if Present Trunks also had blue hair like he did in the anime concept art (or if they changed Bulma's hair to purple just like it was in the manga). Now we have Present Trunks and Future Trunks having different hair colors despite being the same human being. Gokuu Black and Gokuu honestly need more "differentiation" than the two Trunks, and that differentiation is already taken care of with different attires. Not only do the two Trunks have different attires aside from the boots, Future Trunks is already a grown-ass man while Present Trunks is a pint-sized kid.

I would be equally bothered if they suddenly gave Gokuu green hair to "differentiate" him from Goten and Gohan.

Anyways, nothing is said about Present Trunks having purple hair, so now we're to assume he's the one with the incorrect (anime) color and actually has blue hair.
First off, yeah, purple is murasaki in Japanese. Whereas blue and green are aoi and midori.

Furthermore, Bulma doesn't use any of those words when she referenced Future Trunks having blue hair. 「ブルーの髪の色」 She used the English word for "blue".
Maybe in the DB world "blue" refers to all hair colors in the blue/purple spectrum. Just like how in real life we use the word red to refer to orange hair.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:33 am

Bulma's anime hair color shouldn't even be blue at all. It's turquoise.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:08 am

The characters are just assuming he always had blue hair, because there's no plot explanation behind it and this recolor seems to be just a Toriyama's whim.
The only way Future Trunks blue hair would be acceptable to me, would be if he stick around in the main time. Since kid Trunks should grow up one day, this would be the easiest way to distinguish both.

But honestly I don't think Future Trunks will stay in the main timeline. I think Future Mai is not dead and she will be a reason to Trunks go back.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.