Could Dragon Ball Super Depict Violence Toward a Female Character?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Re: Could Dragon Ball Super Depict Violence Toward a Female Character?

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:32 pm

I believe Bulma's death at the hands of Black is probably the most graphic death we're ever going to see from a female character in Super, possibly the most graphic death we're going to see from anyone in the series period. The 90's age of big muscles and graphic violemce Dragon Ball seem to be well dead.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 pm

It's more just about having women fight again. The series has taken a weird step back in that regard.

If they're fighting and it makes sense from a story perspective to have them be beaten just as a male fighter would, then yes, this should happen.

None of that matters as we don't even have them entering the proverbial ring at this point.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:38 pm

To be fair, there are very few moments where women fight in the original series itself. I wouldn't say Super has taken a step backwards when it wasn't particularly far-forwards to begin with.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Hasn't Toriyama said he likes to draw women strongly for the most part? I wouldnt't be suprised if there isn't any violence toward a female fighter either, then. Also, it's not like we didn't just see both Bulma and Mai murdered a few episodes ago, anyway.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:44 pm

nite_jay wrote:Hasn't Toriyama said he likes to draw women strongly for the most part? I wouldnt't be suprised if there isn't any violence toward a female fighter either, then. Also, it's not like we didn't just see both Bulma and Mai murdered a few episodes ago, anyway.
Yes, he said something along those lines.
Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama: "To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, 'I don’t want to draw her anymore,' and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)"

Nakatsuru: "So that was your reason behind it! (laughs)"

Toriyama: "The women I draw all have the same sort of personality. I can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:To be fair, there are very few moments where women fight in the original series itself. I wouldn't say Super has taken a step backwards when it wasn't particularly far-forwards to begin with.
We at least had Arale (headlining Dr. Slump for years), one female finalist in the first and third tournaments (even if Lan-Fan is ... not great), but particularly, had #18 and Videl near the end of the series, neither of whom do much in Super.

We have Vados, who might be the strongest major character in the series, but whom we never see fighting. It feels kind of wrong we didn't have a single female fighter in the Universe 6 tournament.

Crinchy

Post by Crinchy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:52 am

nite_jay wrote:Hasn't Toriyama said he likes to draw women strongly for the most part? I wouldnt't be suprised if there isn't any violence toward a female fighter either, then. Also, it's not like we didn't just see both Bulma and Mai murdered a few episodes ago, anyway.
We are talking about TOEI not the author, and unfortunately we are getting extremely toned down material, not sure if it's just modern Japan or TOEI holding back on their own (they mocked the Western censorship in the Dragon Box sets so are they doing this with that in mind?)

Perhaps it is just the art style, it possibly would seemingly appear more graphic given how clean and CG-esque everything looks and it would be too much graphicness if damage was put on the current models.

Regarding females, it does seem odd how VIDEL has changed character so rapidly (from being an actual character to generic housewife) and have we seen 18 actually do something like in Z / KAI? Not sure what the point of it is when KAI finished airing, and the new generation seen them fight already, these characters deserve so much more.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:07 am

We're not going to see any kind of violence in Super. Tagoma tearing off Piccolo's arm was too violent for many
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Crinchy

Post by Crinchy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:We're not going to see any kind of violence in Super. Tagoma tearing off Piccolo's arm was too violent for many
Is there a source for this? I doubt there was any real controversy over that, we had KAI air with more violence than that.

If there was a controversy over something that minor, what a shame.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:41 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:We're not going to see any kind of violence in Super. Tagoma tearing off Piccolo's arm was too violent for many
If that was too violent than why has there been more violent things since then?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:58 pm

I think Cell is more male than Freeza for example. And everybody calls Freeza as "He".
Cell is an android, but he is also a kind of clone from:
Goku = Male
Vegeta = Male
Tenshinhan = Gay, but male
Piccolo = No gender, but he is a classic male
Freeza and his Father = No gender, but they are called as "he" too
Android 17 = Male

His perfect form depends from Android 18 (female), but Cell stills more male than Freeza.
Vados Sama!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Bluma's death was dark but yet tame at the same time. I don't violence with women is that big of a deal seeing it's a cartoon and not a real life person getting hurt. When Videl was getting hurt in the Buu saga, it was from a tough fight and Toriyama was not making her hurt just for the stake of being hurt. It did show on that she was strong enough to stand up against a strong brutal attacks.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Smilodon wrote:I think Cell is more male than Freeza for example. And everybody calls Freeza as "He".
Cell is an android, but he is also a kind of clone from:
Goku = Male
Vegeta = Male
Tenshinhan = Gay, but male
Piccolo = No gender, but he is a classic male
Freeza and his Father = No gender, but they are called as "he" too
Android 17 = Male

His perfect form depends from Android 18 (female), but Cell stills more male than Freeza.
Is Tenshinhan's sexual preference ever confirmed? Where'd you grab that from.

And in today's warped society, the DB creators would be under immense flack if they had another Videl esque scene.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:56 am

Swifticuffs wrote: Is Tenshinhan's sexual preference ever confirmed? Where'd you grab that from.
I don't need any confirmation...To his actions you can put him as gay (He didn't want anything with Launch, and his love with Chaos) or assexual (maybe he doesn't think anything about sex...And this is ridiculous)
Vados Sama!

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 am

Smilodon wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote: Is Tenshinhan's sexual preference ever confirmed? Where'd you grab that from.
I don't need any confirmation...To his actions you can put him as gay (He didn't want anything with Launch, and his love with Chaos) or assexual (maybe he doesn't think anything about sex...And this is ridiculous)
Didn't he.... form a relationship with Launch in DB GT? I avoided it but remember that... or something along those lines.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I'd love a couple female characters, e.g Kid Pan at least at SSJ3, Vados, and possibly a new character. I'd be OK with them getting beat up as long as they were actually in a fight.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:10 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Kid Pan at least at SSJ3.
This is the worst idea I've ever read.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Smilodon wrote:
Or he's just a person who isn't interested in a romantic relationship? Seriously, not being attracted to Launch and caring for somone who's basically his little brother means jack shit.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Smilodon wrote: Tenshinhan = Gay, but male.
Where'd you grab that from ?
Nowhere, he's just treating his speculation as a fact like what a lot of fans do.
Smilodon wrote:
I don't need any confirmation.

To his actions you can put him as gay, his love with Chaos

or assexual And this is ridiculous.
If you're going to spread something as a fact then you do need confirmation.

Give me ONE thing from any official material or interview that hints at him loving Chaos.

Ridiculous ? that's how he's portrayed in the manga, we've never seen him show any sings of being interested in a relationship and in the anime he was living with Launch for a while during the Saiyan arc.

So in the manga he's not interested in anyone and in the anime he had some kind of relationship with Launch.

Tien was NEVER gay and he NEVER will be and thank god for that.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.