Roshi over Yamcha, will this be the new norm?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Re: Roshi over Yamcha, will this be the new norm?

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:31 pm

In power level terms, there's no reason. Yamcha trained at Kaioh, it's FAAAR way more powerful than Roshi, that get screwed by kid Goku XD.

My idea is that Roshi could do much more gag-based fights and the arc needs some for variation.
He could defeat someone stronger with a mean trick, while this is very out of character for Yamcha, that's streamlined.
It's also a visual thing I suppose. Another orange dressed guy? Better the old fancy man.

As for recruiting, maybe it's a volountarily thing, and how you stop that old vicious man when you tell him there is full of girls from TWELVE entire universes?

(The fact that Earth is the only planet in an entire Universe that deal fighters, while U6 have more than one it's more questioning to me)
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:21 pm

There's no way Roshi ever got stronger than Radditz, or maybe even King Piccolo.

Roshi beating Freeza's weak henchmen is one thing, but I seriously cannot believe Roshi ever got stronger than he was by the end of Dragonball or by the time Radditz showed up.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm sure (or hope) they'll have some reason for justifying Kame-Sennin's participation. I'm all for him being on the team if Toriyama wants to use him, so long as we find out why he's selected over Yamcha or ... really any Namekian warrior for that matter. We were given the sense back in the Saiyan and Namek arcs that fighters around Kame-Sennin's level really weren't much in the big scheme of the universe.

Goten and Trunks sitting out on the basis that they're children is fine. I guess if they're sticking to Earth for convenience (and hey, around ten of the strongest people in the universe other than Beerus, Whis and the Kaioshin do live there), Kame-Sennin is one of the strongest and most capable if Yamcha and Chaozu don't want to participate.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:08 am

Majin Jator wrote:Well, it's a tournament. Maybe Yamcha refuses to take part due to his ill-luck in tournaments. We are yet to know the in-universe explanation, but yeah, it's a weird decision.I can understand why it pissess off a lot of fans.
That would actually be a somewhat decent excuse is they asked him but he was like, "Yeah, I'll pass. I don't have the best luck in tournaments." Though this still doesn't explain why they think taking Roshi of all people would be a good idea. Maybe he's came up with some impressive new technique or something that would make up for his low power level. I dunno.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:32 am

Kame-sen'nin has been keeping up with his training, while Yamcha has not. It has been established in Super that if you don't train, you become much weaker. Aside form this, Kame-sen'nin knows more techniques and is a better strategist. To me, he seems like a much better asset to the team.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:39 am

Yamcha has proven himself in the baseball game.

Things have moved beyond his power scale I think. And I really don't want to see him get killed.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:51 am

Roshi is far superior as a coach, maybe his role will just be helping people while he's not fighting.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 am

PelicanDynasty wrote:Roshi is far superior as a coach, maybe his role will just be helping people while he's not fighting.
They would not waste a slot on that. He is fighting.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:Roshi is far superior as a coach, maybe his role will just be helping people while he's not fighting.
Not what I mean exactly. My point is that Yamcha and Roshi will likely both get waxed in the first round, so you might as well bring Roshi who is a better contributor outside the ring.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:38 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Not what I mean exactly. My point is that Yamcha and Roshi will likely both get waxed in the first round, so you might as well bring Roshi who is a better contributor outside the ring.
There is no first round for individuals. We have to assume that all 10 fighters progress through to the next round.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:01 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
There is no first round for individuals. We have to assume that all 10 fighters progress through to the next round.
Oh really? My bad, I didn't think the details of how it works were out yet.

generalred3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by generalred3 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:06 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote: Not what I mean exactly. My point is that Yamcha and Roshi will likely both get waxed in the first round, so you might as well bring Roshi who is a better contributor outside the ring.
They aren't as far as I know, he is only speculating.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:23 pm

generalred3 wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
We can assume they are not facing anyone from there own universe as that would make no sense in an universe survival arc.

What other format could it be? They are fighting as team universe 7 not as Vegeta and Piccolo for example.

They could have it where the only members of your team that proceed when you win are the ones that don't a match. That however would be harsh and would make the team aspect redundant and would make the tournament extremely short.

generalred3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by generalred3 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:49 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
generalred3 wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote: Oh really? My bad, I didn't think the details of how it works were out yet.
We can assume they are not facing anyone from there own universe as that would make no sense in an universe survival arc.

What other format could it be? They are fighting as team universe 7 not as Vegeta and Piccolo for example.

They could have it where the only members of your team that proceed when you win are the ones that don't a match. That however would be harsh and would make the team aspect redundant and would make the tournament extremely short.
Your theory makes sense but the way you are explaining yourself you are making it come off like these are facts that have been confirmed. Nothing has been confirmed, you are only speculating. In Yu Yu Hakusho in the last arc there was a tournament with literally hundreds of Demons. It wasn't a team effort and it was over in less than 10 episodes (which you are speculating this arc to be 35 eps to 50 eps). My point is, almost nothing has been confirmed at all about this arc and until then we should keep our speculations as just speculations and not treat them as confirmed facts. Just my 2 cents.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:36 pm

I enjoyed seeing Roshi fight in ROF. So if he does indeed fight in the upcoming arc, will be cool.

As for Yamcha, he was created to fail. He got beat by everyone. Plus i think Roshi is more popular than Yamcha.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:09 pm

If Roshi was there to "Coach", then he doesn't need to be on the team. He could help from the sidelines. Unless you can't bring spectators, which in that case makes sense.

I'm betting that they do ask Yamcha but he doesn't come due to:
A)Tien doesn't tell him about the fight
B) He declines due to his bad luck in tournaments, which he doesn't want holding back the team due to the dire stakes
C) If spectators aren't allowed, then he offers to protect Marron so both 18 and Krillin can fight.

I think B) would open up a funny a plotline where Beerus lends Yamcha to a team which is lacking a fighter in order to sabotage them.