Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by rereboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:59 pm

LuckyCat wrote: Android #16's head literally lands in mid-speech with Cell. He's in the middle of saying 殺せ!(korose means "kill!") but the interruption makes that break off having him only say "koros-". The only reason why people are interested in #16 at all is that he's flung in-between Gohan and Cell. And like you said, #16 just tried to kill Cell a moment ago, so it's not odd at all that Cell would be curious what #16 was up to.
In the manga, Cell had already ordered the Cell jrs to kill them off before #16's head lands and there is no speech interrupted by it. In fact, Cell orders their death in two different panels before #16 head lands. Cell might have looked to #16's head after that but there is no reason for the Cell Jrs to disregard the order that they had just been given and pause.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:52 am

Black looks better with the golden SS than with Rose.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:15 pm

If you think about it, Buu saga very similar to a typical fanfic. Many years have passed since the last saga, seemingly ridiculous changes in the status quo, Marty Suy-ish characters, VERY absurd new techniques (Fusion), villains with lack of decent motivation and so on. Don't get me wrong, it's my least favorite saga in Z, excluding Cell saga, but it was enjoyable and somewhat strange experience.
Sorry for my bad english. )=

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:26 pm

WobbuSleuth wrote:If you think about it, Buu saga very similar to a typical fanfic. Many years have passed since the last saga, seemingly ridiculous changes in the status quo, Marty Suy-ish characters, VERY absurd new techniques (Fusion), villains with lack of decent motivation and so on. Don't get me wrong, it's my least favorite saga in Z, excluding Cell saga, but it was enjoyable and somewhat strange experience.
You just described every arc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:53 pm

villains with lack of decent motivation and so on
What's a decent motivation for a villain?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:35 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
WobbuSleuth wrote:If you think about it, Buu saga very similar to a typical fanfic. Many years have passed since the last saga, seemingly ridiculous changes in the status quo, Marty Suy-ish characters, VERY absurd new techniques (Fusion), villains with lack of decent motivation and so on. Don't get me wrong, it's my least favorite saga in Z, excluding Cell saga, but it was enjoyable and somewhat strange experience.
You just described every arc.
Really? Fits only Saiyan saga, and even changes in it are kinda natural.

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:37 pm

ABED wrote:
I probably incorrectly expressed. Not a "decent" motivation but the presence of motivation. Buu didn't have one.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:29 pm

WobbuSleuth wrote:
ABED wrote:
I probably incorrectly expressed. Not a "decent" motivation but the presence of motivation. Buu didn't have one.
He wasn't a mindless beast, he had motivation for what he was doing. He was having fun and he found destruction to be fun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Black looks better with the golden SS than with Rose.
People should get castrated for such blasphemy.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Mentioned this another thread but Kelamis' performance as Goku is severely overrated, yes that ONE scream was reminscent of Nozawa but the rest of performance was not. Struggling to find clips that aren't from that scene, the rest of the work is what I'd consider forgettable some of grunts and screams were pretty awful and his regular non screaming voice sounds nothing like Nozawa just sounds like a Corlett impression.

Hell I'd class Marrow above Kelamis. I'm not being fooled by one albeit great scream in one scene. I suppose one could argue with the right direction etc he could very well be as close to the Japanese Goku as a dub could get but that's all if's but's and maybe's.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mentioned this another thread but Kelamis' performance as Goku is severely overrated, yes that ONE scream was reminscent of Nozawa but the rest of performance was not. Struggling to find clips that aren't from that scene, the rest of the work is what I'd consider forgettable some of grunts and screams were pretty awful and his regular non screaming voice sounds nothing like Nozawa just sounds like a Corlett impression.

Hell I'd class Marrow above Kelamis. I'm not being fooled by one albeit great scream in one scene. I suppose one could argue with the right direction etc he could very well be as close to the Japanese Goku as a dub could get but that's all if's but's and maybe's.
It's not that Kelamis is exceptional, it's just that everyone else is crappier.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Ian James Corlette is the definitive Goku.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mentioned this another thread but Kelamis' performance as Goku is severely overrated, yes that ONE scream was reminscent of Nozawa but the rest of performance was not. Struggling to find clips that aren't from that scene, the rest of the work is what I'd consider forgettable some of grunts and screams were pretty awful and his regular non screaming voice sounds nothing like Nozawa just sounds like a Corlett impression.

It's not that Kelamis is exceptional, it's just that everyone else is crappier.
His performance as Goku was awful though for the most part have you heard some of his grunts and screams in the Cell arc? One scene doesn't make his entire performance as Goku less crap.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:His performance as Goku was awful though for the most part have you heard some of his grunts and screams in the Cell arc? One scene doesn't make his entire performance as Goku less crap.
I don't think his entire performance was crap, it was decent. And again, it's not that Kelamis was exceptional, it's that every other english Goku is shit.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Corlette is a fantastic actor, but a little flat as Goku, Kelamis is terrible but has great screams, Morrow is bland and unmemorable, and Schemmel took a little time, but he's great as Goku. This is unpopular but Schemmel was a breath of fresh air from the beginning after 20 plus episodes of Kelamis.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't know how unpopular this is but I'd like for Steve Blum to get another chance at voicing Goku in something while we're on the subject of his English VAs.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:50 pm

I agree. The grey eyes Rose had saved it from being a form I disliked, but gold is where it's at. I would have preferred ss white though..
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:51 pm

kinisking wrote:
I agree. The grey eyes Rose had saved it from being a form I disliked, but gold is where it's at. I would have preferred ss white though..
I'm fine with him "getting" white with the fusion, it helps it look more supreme... I guess?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:56 pm

kinisking wrote:
Yeah, I prefer the SS look for him as well. If colored right, it could look beautiful on-screen. If the white transformation's the same as it was in the anime, then I personally wouldn't want it. I don't like how the anime just made his hair plain white without much to go with it. It could've been a lot more with effects scattered around it.
ABED wrote:Corlette is a fantastic actor, but a little flat as Goku, Kelamis is terrible but has great screams, Morrow is bland and unmemorable, and Schemmel took a little time, but he's great as Goku. This is unpopular but Schemmel was a breath of fresh air from the beginning after 20 plus episodes of Kelamis.
You've mentioned your hate for Kelamis multiple times in this thread.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:02 pm

I probably have in this 295 page thread. I've also mentioned it in several others. I don't get what you're getting at.