AT liking Funimation's version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: AT liking Funimation's version?

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Toriyama really likes Goku's japanese voice so I highly doubt he'd like Goku's english voice or even care about the english voices. At the end this is false so theres no need to discuss about this.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 pm

This is very, very obviously not true given the comments Toriyama has made in the past saying that the anime makes out Goku to be too much of a hero, whereas he views him as a flawed and selfish character. Considering the Funi dub ramped up that "hero" aspect of Goku to 200%, there's no way in hell that Toriyama thinks the English Funi dub is exactly how he pictured Dragon Ball in his head.

Those comments come from a 1997 interview with WIRED.

Toriyama: Right. There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm

First off, I don't believe this quote considering Toriyama admitted to having not even read his own manga until he redrew the covers and he was prepping Battle of Gods. Second, assuming this was true that would not justify years of terrible decisions made during the initial localization process that resulted in the dub having to be redone numerous times to make it presentable at the very least.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Gligarman wrote:First off, I don't believe this quote considering Toriyama admitted to having not even read his own manga until he redrew the covers and he was prepping Battle of Gods. Second, assuming this was true that would not justify years of terrible decisions made during the initial localization process that resulted in the dub having to be redone numerous times to make it presentable at the very least.
Does he need to read his own manga?
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
Gligarman wrote:First off, I don't believe this quote considering Toriyama admitted to having not even read his own manga until he redrew the covers and he was prepping Battle of Gods. Second, assuming this was true that would not justify years of terrible decisions made during the initial localization process that resulted in the dub having to be redone numerous times to make it presentable at the very least.
He did when he was doing new covers and writing the movie, but prior to that I don't see why he would watch the show dubbed into English if he didn't even feel the need to read the manga.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Gligarman wrote:He did when he was doing new covers and writing the movie, but prior to that I don't see why he would watch the show dubbed into English if he didn't even feel the need to read the manga.
Obviously it's fake.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
Probably ought to do it a bit, at least. That way he wouldn't forget so many things, lol.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Its really bugging me because it sounds like I heard it before. I'm gonna go on wayback machine... maybe it was on one of the old sites
MrTennek wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:This is not real and should not be given any mental real estate.
Considering that several people in this thread, myself included, seem to recall reading this quote / article some time back, I'd say you can't just dismiss it as "not being real". I'm not imagining things here.

The "Creator of X Japanese franchise said he "likes the English version more." is a rumor that has been repeated in so many fandoms; of coarse you would have seen it. I've seen it in DB, Metal Gear, Cowboy Bebop and even Evangelion. Toriyama probably has no idea the Funimaton dub is even a thing.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 pm

Sounds like one of those "facts" you would see on those stupid Facebook or Instagram accounts, which would be be proceeded or followed by an ad for a shirt that has ripped-off fan art on it with Vegeta saying something cringy and edgy that he never said in the series.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 pm

We live in a day and age where making such a claim without even an attempted citation is wholesale unacceptable, especially when posting on a forum for a site devoted to translation and documentation to such an incredible level.

Also, any use of the abbreviation "AT" should have died a decade ago, if it ever had to exist in the first place.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Son Gara wrote:Sounds like one of those "facts" you would see on those stupid Facebook or Instagram accounts, which would be be proceeded or followed by an ad for a shirt that has ripped-off fan art on it with Vegeta saying something cringy and edgy that he never said in the series.
What do you mean? Vegeta was a foul-mouthed badass in the real Dragon Ball Z for adults. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Son Gara wrote:Sounds like one of those "facts" you would see on those stupid Facebook or Instagram accounts, which would be be proceeded or followed by an ad for a shirt that has ripped-off fan art on it with Vegeta saying something cringy and edgy that he never said in the series.
What do you mean? Vegeta was a foul-mouthed badass in the real Dragon Ball Z for adults. :lol:
Oh Anime Labs, what were they thinking lol
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 pm

I think I read once that Cowboy Bebop's director really liked the dubbed version and I believe that aired in the United States at around the same time.

Could it have been a mix-up? :shock: :lol:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am

Duo wrote:We live in a day and age where making such a claim without even an attempted citation is wholesale unacceptable, especially when posting on a forum for a site devoted to translation and documentation to such an incredible level.

Also, any use of the abbreviation "AT" should have died a decade ago, if it ever had to exist in the first place.
I've been trying to find it on way back machine with no luck. Its possible I got two things mixed up (the goku voice quote is similar). I dont really see anything wrong with wrighting AT besides the fact it sounds like GT.

On a side note, *if* it is true or has any truth to it (him liking a specific dub) could it have been the ocean dub?

I've shown clips if dbz from ocean to funi to my friends in japan and all of them liked the ocean voices better. So is it possible he saw a clip or somthing of that dub?

Speculating on what dub he'd like is interesting

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 am

Even if this is true, it's entirely possible that he was just saying it to be polite, or might have said it due to not knowing English well enough to know what was being said.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 am

One of the worst DBZ dubs in the world is liked by "AT"? There's just no way that's real.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.