"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Firebolt wrote:I still don't quite understand why everyone's giving Masters' Zamasu voice tons of praise. His voice doesn't fit the character IMO.
The praise Marsters gets for Zamasu is a very weird phenomenon. Yeah he was in Evolution, which was bad and is pretty much universally loathed by the community, so I understand the respect he gets for coming back and trying to make amends with a VO role in Super. However, I feel like dubbed Zamasu is a very average performance. It's not bad, but so far it hasn't done much to create a connection between me and the character. I'd like to come back to this opinion later and see if his complete performance as Zamasu in this arc changes my mind any, but for now I really don't think it's anything special compared to other casting choices FUNi could have made.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Firebolt wrote:So the SS Rose accent is.....okay. In fact I think it's way better than the raspy emo base form voice. The actual delivery of the lines leaves a lot to be desired though.

I still don't quite understand why everyone's giving Masters' Zamasu voice tons of praise. His voice doesn't fit the character IMO.
Oh, trust me, Zamasu's English voice is good. It's like a lot of the dub voices; different from the Japanese, but still good. It takes on several different tones depending on the scene, but each time it's really good.
mint0h wrote:I wasn't sure if this was mentioned in the Crunchyroll subs, but Yajirobe mentions that the Androids destroyed Korin's Tower, something that I didn't pick up in the subs.
Good time to rewatch the subbed episodes, then. If you'd want.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:"Hold your fire! This man isn’t Black!”

:lol:
That line made me cringe. Very disappointing.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Kaiosama wrote:

Why? They just translated it from the Japanese version.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Yep, that sure is a Rose' voice. While it may not be as full on British, like in Xenoverse or FighterZ, it's still blatantly different from the voice Sean was using at the beginning of the arc. If someone were watching this with no context of the behind the scenes stuff, then Black's voice changes, out of the blue, for no apparent reason.

Regardless, is this the direction I want Schemmel to be taking? No. But I'm also not going to lose sleep over it. It's moreso disappointing, because I believe Sean would be able to output a much stronger performance, maybe even rivaling Nozawa's, had he taken a different approach. He didn't though and now we're here, I'll live.

Marsters on the other hand, personally I think is doing a fantastic job. I was not sold on him back in Xenoverse, but the show knocked that notion flat on it's ass. To anyone who doesn't understand why I would like a performance you don't, well that's just kinda how opinions work. Different strokes for different folks, ya know?

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:

They could have said something else. They've shown they aren't afraid to change things around, but decide to translate the one line that would come across as racist (particularly with the way the climate is in the West right now). This is how they respond to the criticism? "Yeah, let's directly translate the line with racial implications in it". Nice job Funimation! :lolno:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Kaiosama wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:
They could have said something else. They've shown they aren't afraid to change things around, but decide to translate the one line that would come across as racist (particularly with the way the climate is in the West right now). This is how they respond to the criticism? "Yeah, let's directly translate the line with racial implications in it". Nice job Funimation! :lolno:
Oh come off it. Everyone knows the context. Let's stop acting like it's an issue.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Kaiosama wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:
I guarantee you they were all dying of laughter in the booth, while recording that line. You would have to be dumb as a post, to not understand the implementations of that line. Sabat and Vale are both liberals, and are quite aware of the current racial climate. I'm positive that they left this in as a sort of accidental commentary on the current state of the country. It's just a bit of dark humor, that I personally could not stop laughing at.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I was expecting Sean to go with his FighterZ voice for Super Saiyan Rosé, but despite the "British" undertones it does sound a lot closer to base Black's voice than I expected.

It still wouldn't be my first choice in regards to direction, but all things considered, I think he did a pretty good job.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Kaiosama wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:
Realistically, only an overzealous SJW-type would care enough to take that line out of context. Out of context, that line takes on a different meaning, but the fact that Goku Black is known as a character in this arc, and the line makes sense in context, no one would get away with trying to claim that the dub team is racist. The people working on the dub are Liberals in Texas, though Sean lives in California, so they knew the unintended implications going in to dub the scene. The fact that they call Goku Black just "Black" really cements that & if you're gonna get mad at a line in an anime when no harm was meant, then you probably shouldn't be watching these episodes.
And if there IS criticism with them keeping Goku Black's name unchanged, then the criticism is really unjustified. Considering the other shows Adult Swim broadcasts that do that on purpose for dark comedy, or shock value, I think we have other priorities to worry about.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Kaiosama wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:
Do you spend a lot of time on Tumblr? Just curious...

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 am

"I'm the star of this damn show!"

This line was hilarious. But, also confusing. It didn't fit the scene or Vegeta. I haven't been watching the dub regularly, but it seems like every time I peak in there, I keep bumping into lines that just don't belong? Like, yeah. There are some things that are hard to adapt, but....this isn't one of those things? This feels like a parody or something.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:26 am

Rosé voice is... Okay I guess? It just sounds weird to me, maybe I'm used to how it sounds in the games I don't know but eh wish he just kept the normal voice he was doing.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:45 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Rosé voice is... Okay I guess? It just sounds weird to me, maybe I'm used to how it sounds in the games I don't know but eh wish he just kept the normal voice he was doing.
Yeah same. He loses too much of the Goku essence when he does the Rose voice, kind of defeating half the purpose of the voice really. I mean he was never going to top Nozawa but I was happy with Base Blacks voice, wish he kept it as well.

And while Zamasu was pretty awful in XV2 English dub I somehow love him in the show. Maybe because he has better lines and the audio mixing is done correctly instead of being a hot mess, but it just feels right, his speech with Gowasu really shone last week.

Don't get all the hype about the he isn't black line, people will laugh at anything these days I guess.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:58 am

nato25 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Rosé voice is... Okay I guess? It just sounds weird to me, maybe I'm used to how it sounds in the games I don't know but eh wish he just kept the normal voice he was doing.
Yeah same. He loses too much of the Goku essence when he does the Rose voice, kind of defeating half the purpose of the voice really. I mean he was never going to top Nozawa but I was happy with Base Blacks voice, wish he kept it as well.

And while Zamasu was pretty awful in XV2 English dub I somehow love him in the show. Maybe because he has better lines and the audio mixing is done correctly instead of being a hot mess, but it just feels right, his speech with Gowasu really shone last week.

Don't get all the hype about the he isn't black line, people will laugh at anything these days I guess.
Yeah I think that is my problem with the voice too, base voice is so good there is no need, or at least be far more subtle like SS/2/G/GSS and not like SS3 which I also dislike. I did warm up a bit to SSR near the end though probably get used to it I suppose.

Zamasu echo effect here sounded really good, looking forward to Merged!

As for the black line, completely agree. This fandom find the strangest things funny, I mean most of the meme's that fly around aren't humorous or even creative like slap a logo or words over someone's face but apparently people bust a gut over those. I recently found out there was a whole Ultra Instinct meme and I watched the Shaggy video only to come to conclusion this was the most unfunniest thing I have ever seen. Just scratching my head.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Rose voice sounds just like his base? He still sounds like Goku, but talk differently and his voice changes a bit when he yells, sounds more cocky and villain-ish. I love it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Amir wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Rose voice sounds just like his base? He still sounds like Goku, but talk differently and his voice changes a bit when he yells, sounds more cocky and villain-ish. I love it.
Pretty much, yes, you are.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Amir wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Rose voice sounds just like his base? He still sounds like Goku, but talk differently and his voice changes a bit when he yells, sounds more cocky and villain-ish. I love it.
It depends on the line. Sometimes he sounds relatively close to his base, other times he lays the fake-sounding accent on too thick like in FighterZ and Xenoverse 2. Hopefully going forward it'll be less sporadic, because I can't imagine this sounding anything less than jarring for viewers who aren't familiar with his direction for the character behind the scenes.

Moreover, Sean's justification for it is kind of ridiculous because Marsters barely uses an accent for Zamasu, if at all.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
It depends on the line. Sometimes he sounds relatively close to his base, other times he lays the fake-sounding accent on too thick like in FighterZ and Xenoverse 2. Hopefully going forward it'll be less sporadic, because I can't imagine this sounding anything less than jarring for viewers who aren't familiar with his direction for the character behind the scenes.

Moreover, Sean's justification for it is kind of ridiculous because Marsters barely uses an accent for Zamasu, if at all.
I mean, if Marsters is gonna get progressively more upper class too as the episodes go on, I could see Sean's explanation making sense, but so far, all Marsters has done is be slightly more articulate with his words, like, sometimes he'll annunciate some words more than others. Like when he said, "How dare you touch me, mortal!", he stresses the "t" in "mortal," which is something that Americans usually don't. Not much else.