Could a fan have... (DBAF Doujinshi)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Royal Dog

Could a fan have... (DBAF Doujinshi)

Post by Royal Dog » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:58 am

I'm not trying to jump to conclusions here. I found this on the internet and I'm just a tad currious to see if this means something or not. It appears to be a site made by Akira for a DBAF comic he is working on? I don't mean to be spreading the same rumors over and over again but to my eye it fairly convincing and that just about sums up my question. Could a fan make this?

http://blog.livedoor.jp/toyble/

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:01 am

It's a doujinshi. And it's pretty known here ^^

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4470
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:30 am

Yeah, uh.

It's really enjoyable, but it's not the work of Mr. Toriyama.

Is it just me, or does Toyble's manga actually make GT more enjoyable?

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:41 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Is it just me, or does Toyble's manga actually make GT more enjoyable?
It's just you... when I look at "toyble's" manga, I see nothing but copy/trace ripped out of Mr. Toriyama's manga. At least, in the first few chapters it was like that... stopped reading after that point. So much was straight-ripped out of Dragonball that it sickened me.

[edit]under the risk of being called a hater, I felt I had to back this claim up with evidence.[/edit]

-First of all, this guy just looks like an "Evil Vegetto".. hardly any originality to his design.. basically just Vegetto with different hair.. and .. horns on his chin. I'm not fooled.

Look familiar? It should. This panel is almost an exact copy of Gohan getting blasted by the recently released Fat Majin Buu.

Look carefully at the "Evil Vegetto" guys' stance in this panel, as well as the context of the panel. Um, SSJ3 Goku vs Kid Buu anyone? Almost an exact rip. But, oh wait.. he flip flopped the pose to throw us off ;-)

But speaking of the Evil Vegetto guy, he sure likes doing Super Buu 3's gestures...

...as well as Freeza's...

...as well as Majin Vegeta's...

I guess he thought people never truly read the first Vegeta vs Zarbon fight.. as this panel is identical to Zarbon hitting the dirt after Vegeta kicked him in the back.

speaking of identical, this reminds me of Vegeta rushing at "Super Perfect Cell" after Trunks was killed. Doesn't it for you?

Oh, come on... now "Evil Vegetto Dude" does his Dabura impression? I've seen enough. *walks out*

On a more serious note though, we had a topic about this over on the Dragonball General board at Gamefaqs some months ago, where even more ripoffs then this were exposed.. these were the ones I picked up after only casually scanning the first volume alone. Some that weren't from the manga were just freeze-frames of the anime too.

The guy's a glorified tracer, and it just proves once again that nothing with the name "AF" attatched to it can be good.
Last edited by FindKenshi on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:53 am

FindKenshi wrote:, I see nothing but copy/trace ripped out of Mr. Toriyama's manga. At least, in the first few chapters it was like that...
It's true in the early chapters he definitely took the lazy way out, but I'm unable to spot any instances after the early chapters where there are any tracings.

I would understand your disgust if this was a published manga, but it's just some dude on his blog, and art aside the story so far has kept my interest better than GT could.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:10 am

Captain Awesome wrote:It's true in the early chapters he definitely took the lazy way out, but I'm unable to spot any instances after the early chapters where there are any tracings.
If that's the case, then maybe I was being too judgemental. Like I said, I stopped reading very early on when I saw what I was being exposed to. I edited my post above with examples. I'm sure I missed a bunch, those were the biggest eye-catchers.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:29 am

FindKenshi wrote: If that's the case, then maybe I was being too judgemental. Like I said, I stopped reading very early on when I saw what I was being exposed to. I edited my post above with examples. I'm sure I missed a bunch, those were the biggest eye-catchers.
I agree with you concerning the tracings (and Xicor's design), but calling him out on poses?, thats a little much, considering he's at least drawing the complete character.

It's a fan manga, so it shouldn't be held to such a lofty standard, art aside the story flows well, and it's an interesting take on the end of GT.

I don't think it's amazing, just enjoyable.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 am

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 am

I'm a big fan of Toriyama's artwork, and owning numerous volumes of Troiyama's manga, it's quite obvious to me that most of these are tracings from original manga panels, however, modified to look like other characters or the same characters with altered clothing and hair. Quite a few of them are actually from volume 42. It's a good imitation, but not good enough. :wink:

EDIT:
Lol. The truth is revealed.
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:22 am

At least he owns up to it.

Really, though, Id rather be reading this exciting story that uses Toriyama's original art in a new way instead of some random poorly-drawn fanart that involves some sort of Shin Budokai 2-esuqe story that had potential but was wasted just to include every character possible.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Royal Dog

Post by Royal Dog » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:26 pm

Thanks for clearing this up. This was the only place I knew of that could give me a quick response on this. Now I'm off to be a smartass with the people who didn't check their sources. Maybe I'll be around some time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:41 pm

I can't find a single panel that doesn't look like something I've seen before, having read all 42 volumes at least 5 times each, and some a whole lot more.

But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not interested in reading fan-manga anyway.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Re: Could a fan have pulled this off

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Royal Dog wrote:I'm not trying to jump to conclusions here. I found this on the internet and I'm just a tad currious to see if this means something or not. It appears to be a site made by Akira for a DBAF comic he is working on? I don't mean to be spreading the same rumors over and over again but to my eye it fairly convincing and that just about sums up my question. Could a fan make this?

Dude, call him Toriyama. You dont know him on a first name basis.

Its also mostlikely a DOUJIN CIRCLE. People in those groups can emulate manga-ka art style close to perfect.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:48 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Royal Dog wrote:I'm not trying to jump to conclusions here. I found this on the internet and I'm just a tad currious to see if this means something or not. It appears to be a site made by Akira for a DBAF comic he is working on? I don't mean to be spreading the same rumors over and over again but to my eye it fairly convincing and that just about sums up my question. Could a fan make this?

Its also mostlikely a DOUJIN CIRCLE. People in those groups can emulate manga-ka art style close to perfect.
Although I refer to him as "Toriyama," I've never really understood why people get all crazy about this. It's not like he reads this forum (nor do we know how he would feel about it), and it's not like we're Japanese (well, not the majority anyway), and as long as our post isn't disrespectful towards him, I don't really see what the difference is...but I guess in a way it makes sense because it's not like we refer to celebrities or movie directors and what not over here by first name. Also, I'm not singling you out on this Son Wukong, I'm actually curious and I have seen a lot of people here get annoyed about it.
Trans rights, now!

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:41 pm

SonEric84 wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:

Although I refer to him as "Toriyama," I've never really understood why people get all crazy about this. It's not like he reads this forum (nor do we know how he would feel about it), and it's not like we're Japanese (well, not the majority anyway), and as long as our post isn't disrespectful towards him, I don't really see what the difference is...but I guess in a way it makes sense because it's not like we refer to celebrities or movie directors and what not over here by first name. Also, I'm not singling you out on this Son Wukong, I'm actually curious and I have seen a lot of people here get annoyed about it.

Seems like a silly thing to get worked up over. It's like deifying the man and that it's sacrilege to call him anything else. I honestly think he would not care either way about what some American fans on a message board called him.

Now, if people WANT to adopt a religious mindset and act like certain terms are blasphemous then that's their business...but again, the man would probably just be creeped out more than flattered.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:38 pm

SonEric84 wrote:Although I refer to him as "Toriyama," I've never really understood why people get all crazy about this. It's not like he reads this forum (nor do we know how he would feel about it), and it's not like we're Japanese (well, not the majority anyway), and as long as our post isn't disrespectful towards him, I don't really see what the difference is...but I guess in a way it makes sense because it's not like we refer to celebrities or movie directors and what not over here by first name. Also, I'm not singling you out on this Son Wukong, I'm actually curious and I have seen a lot of people here get annoyed about it.
It's impolite to refer to someone by their first name if you're not close with them. In the recent relaxation of manners in the western world, this requirement has lessened significantly. But, few would believe that such a closeness is gained from reading their books.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:04 pm

Could a fan have done this? Let's see...

1. Traced artwork.
2. Dragonball "AF"
3. More retarded Super Saiyan forms.

... Seriously, did you have to ask?

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:29 pm

desirecampbell wrote: It's impolite to refer to someone by their first name if you're not close with them. In the recent relaxation of manners in the western world, this requirement has lessened significantly. But, few would believe that such a closeness is gained from reading their books.
Yeah, exactly, like some people will get offended FOR him because they feel close to him after reading his books. Like, how dare you insult his honor by calling him by that name, I will defend him because he's my friend.

I mean, honestly, he would probably be embarrassed to see someone do that. I know I would.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:28 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I agree with you concerning the tracings (and Xicor's design), but calling him out on poses?, thats a little much, considering he's at least drawing the complete character.
Thats the thing though. The poses I called him out on ARE the tracings. It only shows he can't draw these characters in unique poses. Like the panel where I say "Now he's doing Dabura impression" everything from the exact placement of Trunk's arms and stuff is identical to when Dabura shot Kibito. I'm just happy I'm not the only one who noticed this, though.

I am more then a bit disturbed though, that I seem to be the only one who cares. You guys correct people for calling Mr. Toriyama, "Akira", in this very topic, for the reason of being respectul... and yet you have no problem with someone having stolen his artwork!?

Tracing is tracing. This guy is taking someone elses work and passing it off as his own. I'm not talking about the characters and concept of Dragonball. A fanfic is a fanfic. I'm talking about the artwork itself. I mean, come on. You want to talk about being direspectful towards Akira Toriyama, it does not get any worse then stealing his artwork.
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:http://blog.livedoor.jp/toyble/archives/50808433.html

I rest my case.
I'm very VERY interested to read a translation of that blog, if anyone would oblige? I mean, that's just sad. Even depicting the one who noticed this as the nerdy version of Gohan, it's almost like he's saying "So I traced a few panels, who cares, get over it."

This is infuriating.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 am

FindKenshi wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I agree with you concerning the tracings (and Xicor's design), but calling him out on poses?, thats a little much, considering he's at least drawing the complete character.
I am more then a bit disturbed though, that I seem to be the only one who cares. You guys correct people for calling Mr. Toriyama, "Akira", in this very topic, for the reason of being respectul... and yet you have no problem with someone having stolen his artwork!?
Am I getting lumped in with this crowd?, look fans have done much worse things to the franchise than rip off a few poses and drawings and pass them off as their own, I see it the same way I see some generic action movie, it's nothing new or edgy, it's retreading old ground, and even ripping elements out of other movies, but you know what?, I try to enjoy it for what it is, instead of crying "Sacrilege!", if it sucks, it sucks, but please don't act like it's the worst thing a fan has ever done to Dragonball.

As for calling Mr. Toriyama by his first name, some people do overreact, instead of politely reminding someone to have better manners, they jump on the chance to condescend to someone about their behavior and how disrespectful they are.

Anyway, if you think Toyble's manga is the most disrespectful thing ever done to Dragonball, then you must surf the internet with your eyes closed.

I love you all.