Dr. Gero in Dragonball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Check out the title page for Chapter 173 (Volume 15 of Viz's DBZ)

There's an interesting little chart that gives Dr.Gero credit for creating all the Androids, even Android #8, titled 'The History of Dr.Gero's Androids!!'

Some of the dialog here...
"All Androids after #8 were built to defeat the destroyer of the Red Ribbon Army, Son Goku!

#1~~~~#7-- All had various problems.
#8-- He had a gentle personality and became friends witth Goku. A total failure.
#9~~~~#15-- All of them had one problem or another, but #13, #14, and #15 were pretty close to the final Android form.
#16-- For some reason, Dr.Gero said #16 was a failure. It's personality was probably the major problem, but there were other flaws too. (Total artificial construct)
#17-- Too much attention was placed on it's power capabilities, so it refused to take orders. Failure. (Cyborg)
#18-- Although it's power was suppressed- Compared to #17- it also did not follow orders. Failure. (Cyborg)
#19-- A success, but Vegeta destroyed it. (Total artificial construct)
#20-- Finally, Dr.Gero turned himself into a cyborg! It was blown up by #17. (Cyborg)
Cell-- Previously, Dr.Gero tried to use bio-technology to create an android, but due to time constraints, he programmed his computer to finish the experiment. It was created by combining the genes of Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza, Freeza's Father, and a number of other lifeforms.
It's a really cute little chart, full of chibi characters, and I believe it's the only place that canonically states in the manga that Dr.Gero made #8, though I could be wrong about that.
Dr.Gero was just a scientist who worked for Red Ribbon Army, designed artificial life forms and researching cybernetics behind the scenes.

Hope some of that's interesting enough to contribute to this Dr.Gero post. :)

SuperVegito17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperVegito17 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:12 am

thanks...for the record , I watched the whole series in CN...only have a few dvds which i liked. But decided to buy all the remastered ones :).

Anyway, so Dr. Gero was just a scientist working for Commander Red? Is it mentioned or said anywhere in the Manga/Anime/Daizenshuu etc? So, probably Dr. Gero wanted revenge on Goku for making friends with Eighter? 'Cause other than that, I dont see anything that Goku did to Gero himself...other than destroying his employer ofcourse :p.
my latest Music Video -> http://stage6.divx.com/user/SuperVegito17/blog/

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:18 am

I think its pretty obvious Gero was very high up in the Red Ribbon Army. I assume he designed all the tech the army used from Sgt Metallic to Commander Blacks battlesuit.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:14 pm

Gero probably had a very respected position within RR because of Gero's superior technological expertise. When Goku revealed to the RR (and the world) that technology is far inferior to ki, Gero's entire purpose was shot down. Technology was no longer the main issue. I think this is why Gero developed such a grudge against Goku: not because RR was gone, but the position of technology and with it, Dr. Gero himself.
It's all GOOD

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:47 pm

Gero invested all of his livelihood and purpose in life towards that army, then some kid shows up and destroys it.

Hey, he needed a reason to keep making stuff - why not for the sake of murdering the person who seemingly stole everything he had in his life?

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:55 am

Hmm... AT's chart would have mentioned Metallic, so it could have been that Gero DIDN'T create him, after all, he wasn't like.. the ONLY scientist they had.

Gero stated in the anime (the real one) that Goku destroyed the RR and his dreams of world conquest. That means that Gero (as well as the rest of the RR) didn't know Red's real goal, and was hoping to rule the world with the rest of the RR before Goku came to blow it up.

It's too bad that Goku wasn't there when Red revealed himself and Black shot him. Hell, Goku never even met Red, LOL, he was already dead by the time he showed up... Anyways, HAD Goku been there... and had he remembered after so many years... it would have been hella funny if he told Gero that.

Gero- I'm here to kill you. You destroyed the Red Ribbon Army and our dreams of world conquest.
Goku- World conquest...? If I remember, Commander Red just wanted the Dragonballs to wish to be taller.
Gero- He... he.. what?????
Goku- yeah, Red wanted to be taller, so Black shot him and took over. I guess all of you guys were just wasting your time helping him get the Dragonballs, huh?
Gero- ........................... Well I still wanna kill you anyway!!!

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Dr. Flappe was merely DB filler. A lot of the misconceptions come from Funimation's messed up translation and changing of certain facts.

Dr. Gero was the chief scientist, and if you want the Anime continuity to make sense, then you could say that Flappe assisted in creating Android #8. He seems to be the one responsible for the explosives technology used for the self destruct bombs used in the Androids.

Movie 7 is likely one of the alternate timelines where Trunks helped them destroy the Androids, and later returned to his own time to be killed by Cell and have his time machine stolen. That would explain the other Androids being released and them not having to deal with Cell there.

Gero was with those who escaped the Red Ribbon headquarters after Roshi and the others arrived to help Goku. He let them escape rather than pursue those fleeing like the others suggested he do. That scene is in Dragonball, so you can assume Gero was in that crowd who escaped.

I would credit Dr. Gero with the following:

Metalitron - Abilities are too similar to later model Androids to think anyone else built him. He was likely a prototype model without a number.

Assistant Commander Black's Mecha - Very probable that this was Gero's tech at work.

Android #8 - Built by Gero, (Assisted by Flappe if you go by the Anime fillers)

Cyborg Tao Pai Pai - Had previous ties with Red Ribbon, and who else would he turn to for help to become such an abomination? The brain casing, Beam arm and such are very Geroesque if you ask me. Never stated directly, but this is highly probable.

Androids #13, #14, and #15 - Full Machines built by Gero that pioneered the combonation Android technology.

Android #16 - Built to be the most powerful Goku killer, but deemed a failure in personality.

Androids #17 & #18 - Human twins, enhanced with Cyborg implants.

Android #19 - Full Machine, reliable AI, prototype energy absorbtion model and assistant.

Android #20 - Changed himself into an Android, turning into a half man, half machine version of Dr. Gero.

Cell - A fully Bio-engineered Android, capable of interfacing with Androids #17 and #18 to reach a Perfect form. An advanced form of Android combonation first used in the #13,#15 and #15 models.

Other technologies and potential creations:

RRA Dragonball Radar - Possibly an invention of Gero's.

Pilot Robots - Built to fly RRA Aircraft

Buyon - This was possibly an early Bio-Android Prototype, considering the rest of the monstrosities shipped to Muscle Tower were built by Dr. Gero.

That's about all I have on this subject. Any thoughts are welcomed.