Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16077
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:51 pm
Vegeta is Goku's brother has been around forever. It's just another one of those things people think when they haven't followed the series closely enough. I know I'm probably guilty of worse. (Goku is Chichi's teenage son, Yamcha a Saiyan etc.)
Or haven't followed it at all. I don't know how anyone could mistakenly believe that for more than a minute.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
I Live Here
Posts: 4922
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 pm
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:51 pm
Vegeta is Goku's brother has been around forever. It's just another one of those things people think when they haven't followed the series closely enough. I know I'm probably guilty of worse. (Goku is Chichi's teenage son, Yamcha a Saiyan etc.)
Or haven't followed it at all. I don't know how anyone could mistakenly believe that for more than a minute.
I think thats the point. They see a picture of Vegeta, and think that, but upon watching the series they find out thats not the case.

I was in the camp of Turles being Gokus brother and Pikkon being a Namekian honestly. :lol:
(Though in my defense, I think one of the games flat out said Turles and Goku were related.)

MyVisionity
Regular
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 pm
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:51 pm
Vegeta is Goku's brother has been around forever. It's just another one of those things people think when they haven't followed the series closely enough. I know I'm probably guilty of worse. (Goku is Chichi's teenage son, Yamcha a Saiyan etc.)
Or haven't followed it at all. I don't know how anyone could mistakenly believe that for more than a minute.
I think thats the point. They see a picture of Vegeta, and think that, but upon watching the series they find out thats not the case.
It's not just pictures. People have watched the show and thought Vegeta was Goku's brother. It's a pretty easy mistake to make considering their relationship.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm


It's not just pictures. People have watched the show and thought Vegeta was Goku's brother. It's a pretty easy mistake to make considering their relationship.
Really? I’ve seen people think Goku and Turles are brothers. I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone who thought Goku and Vegeta were brothers.

MyVisionity
Regular
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm
MyVisionity wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm


It's not just pictures. People have watched the show and thought Vegeta was Goku's brother. It's a pretty easy mistake to make considering their relationship.
Really? I’ve seen people think Goku and Turles are brothers. I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone who thought Goku and Vegeta were brothers.
Yep, I heard it all the time back in the day.

As for Turles, I used to get him mixed up with Raditz/Vegeta. Probably because of how the series would air alongside Movie 3 in the Ocean days, or maybe just not knowing the difference between the show and movies.

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 am
Bardock's whole squad not even getting a cameo in the Broly movie
Super's 'boxing' matches
an unwillingness for tailed saiyans.
Beet deserving better
They did get a cameo in the movie.

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Here's another one I have:

People saying that Dragon Ball Z had less of a focus on martial arts compared to Dragon Ball with the reasoning that there was more of a focus on Ki attacks in major battles in Dragon Ball Z. Despite the fact that Ki attacks are a form of a martial arts.
Tbh, I think the franchise somewhat forgets the context behind the ki blasts. Like nowadays ki blasts are nothing more than spam attacks used so the dust clears from the enemy and the protagonist can artificially be scared to see "what?!? he's still alive?!?"

This happened many times in GT.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16077
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am

superfan2024 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am
Lord Beerus wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Here's another one I have:

People saying that Dragon Ball Z had less of a focus on martial arts compared to Dragon Ball with the reasoning that there was more of a focus on Ki attacks in major battles in Dragon Ball Z. Despite the fact that Ki attacks are a form of a martial arts.
Tbh, I think the franchise somewhat forgets the context behind the ki blasts. Like nowadays ki blasts are nothing more than spam attacks used so the dust clears from the enemy and the protagonist can artificially be scared to see "what?!? he's still alive?!?"

This happened many times in GT.
What is the context behind ki blasts?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 am

superfan2024 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 am
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 am
Bardock's whole squad not even getting a cameo in the Broly movie
Super's 'boxing' matches
an unwillingness for tailed saiyans.
Beet deserving better
They did get a cameo in the movie.
I found this out a while after posting this message. I still wish theyd have given them some kind of role in Bardock's flashback, even if its just in a fight, like the one Leek and Bardock had in minus with an alien populus.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 pm

What really grinds my gears are people that - ignoring current prices - look at the Dragon Box footage, then look at the orange brick footage, and say 'Oh yeah, the bricks are definitely better.' I can't even comprehend it.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:40 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:08 pm
Robo4900 wrote:Indeed. Though, Super had set a pattern of zero consequences, so it was pretty obvious the reset button was going to be hit at the end, despite everything else about the story up to that point indicating that yes, all deaths are final, all universe erasures are non-reversible, etc. etc.
It's a turn that hits a reset button in a way that doesn't gel with the arc up to that point. It's bad writing; the entire point of the arc, everything everyone is fighting against, everything the whole story is built around, all reversed in one moment, and ultimately it's not a clever subversion or turn. It's predictable, in fact; they've done the exact same thing before, so not only is it a single example of bad writing, but it's an example of the same piece of bad writing being recycled continually, which -- even for a piece of good writing -- would be tiresome.

A reset button with zero other consequences, even if it did fit in with the entire set-up and everything the stakes of the arc are built on, is troublesome. Hell, if Piccolo hadn't died and Goku hadn't been stuck as a kid, I'd be throwing these same criticisms at the Baby arc... In fact, y'know I think I honestly could just throw these criticisms at the Baby arc anyway... But criticising GT is overplayed at this point, and at least it only made that mistake once, and it did make the effort of doing stuff like what it did with Piccolo to mitigate it, even if it was a bit out-of-no-where, superficial, and weird... Super doesn't try much harder than "don't even worry about it. everything is okay now but we have to continue getting stronger anyway y'know bro"
Dragon Ball arcs in general have zero consequence. Any kind of collateral damage created in the arc is always mitigated with the Dragon Balls either in the very arc where shit hits the fan or in the very next arc. I wouldn't call it bad writing in those scenarios where cast fall back on the Dragon Ball to sort any mitigating problem caused by circumstances of the story arc. Especially since the Universal Survival arc makes it very apparent very early on that winner of the Tournament Of Power will get any wish they desire with the Super Dragon Balls.

I can understand if you personally don't like how any potential consequence are negated because of a set of Dragon Balls. But I wouldn't isolate the Universal Survival arc as a special case of this being bad. It's just Dragon Ball wrapping up its story arc in the most convenient fashion possible. I mean, by the time Majin Boo arc occurs, the cast are quite meta with their approach of the potential consequence regarding the antagonist they may encounter as they adopt a "use the Dragon Ball to fix everything" mentality so much they're willing to let billions of die on the virtue
Robo4900 wrote:The thing is, Zeno had already destroyed everything. It was established from the beginning that all losing universes are erased, and throughout the tournament, Zeno showed with all the casual brutality one would expect, his willingness and ease to simply wipe out all the losing universes from existence. We see these universes go; a big deal is made out of it in every case. Then suddenly at the end, #17 wishes everyone back, which had never been even remotely hinted as a possibility, it completely contradicts all of the stakes of the arc, and ultimately undercuts everything that happened here... The only thing that happens as a result of the TOP occuring is Goku has a new colour he can switch his hair to.

The stakes of the arc were built against the idea of there being an easy reset button that would be pressed at the end with zero other consequences. And yet, here we are.
The winner of the Tournament Of Power was granted any wish one wish with the Super Dragon Balls. It wasn't etched in stone that no one could used the Super Dragon Balls to reverse Zeno's actions. It was only a suggestion, that at best, wasn't advised given the unpredictably of how Zeno would react to such a wish being made. The stakes of the universes being erased at the time aren't gone because it's undone. That's like saying in any arc when the Dragon Balls are used to reverse the damage caused or the lives lost removes the stakes of the arc. It doesn't. The drama is still existed.

The stake of the Universal Survival arc weren't built against the idea of there being an easy reset button that would be pressed at the end with zero other consequences. The stakes of the Universal Survival arc were simply built in the fact that eight universes were fighting to survive in a tournament, with the winner having carte blanche with a set of wish granting plot device that have unlimited capabilities in their wish granting. I mean, the Universal Survival began because a mortal (Goku) defy the suggestions and requests of a deity (Beerus) and the arc ended with a mortal (#17) defying the suggestions and requests of a deity (Zeno). I think at the very least there's some thematic consistency with this arc that prevents the ending arc from seemingly being out of left field.

As far as what can taken from the Tournament Of Power for the long term, well, the jury is still out on that one as Super is still an ongoing story, at least in one medium.

The Universal Survival arc itself served the purpose of working in juxtaposition of the themes tossed around the Future Trunks arc of the questionable morality of mortal throughout the multiverse. Zeno was looking for a virtuous mortal who would act with empathy when presented with an opportunity, and given total freedom, to act with absolute selfishness with a wish that had no limitations, would forgo they own personal wants and desires and instead shown and immense amount of sympathy and grant an extension of life for several other universes. it's not deep or profound by any storytelling means, but I find the whole "secret test of character" angle wholesome enough to Dragon Ball's large themes of camaraderie, and pragmatism balanced with empathy to make the arc itself worthwhile.

I'd understand if you don't agree with me on any of this, but that's just my two cents. :)
I kind of like that about dragon ball since I don't care for bittersweet endings.
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

I thank....... you......... -Broly to Cheelai

It's not right for you to say bad things about him. He is my dad." -Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about Paragus.

User avatar
Kokonoe
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 am

I hate the following:

1.
People who use the new Broly movie as a means to shit over the original Broly or his movie. These people who never cared about Broly until now cannot merely enjoy their new movie. No, they have to go out of their way to use it to shit on the original as if this newer one is a modern marvel in terms of storytelling when both movies generally follow a very similar storytelling pattern and what really shines through is the action scenes, just like the original movie.

But regardless of how either side feels in this matter, the people who are using this new movie to shit on the original just for the sake of it are people I'll write off entirely at this point. Yeah it does piss me off and I'm tired of seeing this nonsense. I enjoy both Brolys, both movies and even if I didn't like the original Broly I wouldn't be going all bat shit insane on a forum trying to "destroy" the original one. I'd just be focusing on what I enjoy but I guess that's too much.

2.
People that really try to act like the Dragon Ball Super anime is absolutely flawless, completely written better than the original Dragon Ball in all forms and acts like if you prefer the Super Manga in any form you're a troll and you have shit tastes and you're factually wrong and deserved to be ridiculed. There was a Dragon Ball community I participated on another site that was literally this all the time and it was disgusting and started making me hate the series. The more I distance myself from these crazy people the happier I am.

3.
Android 17 fans that try to convince me Gohan has had it great in Super. Just... Enough of that shit please.

And rant over.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 pm

I hate how people continue to argue over which is more powerful, SSJG and SSJB or SSJ4. Its pointless since there is no official standing on that debate.................. And I also hate how pro SSJB and SSJG seem to look down on pro SSJ4 as being ill informed individuals..........
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

I thank....... you......... -Broly to Cheelai

It's not right for you to say bad things about him. He is my dad." -Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about Paragus.

User avatar
Skar
Regular
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 am
I hate the following:

1.
People who use the new Broly movie as a means to shit over the original Broly or his movie. These people who never cared about Broly until now cannot merely enjoy their new movie. No, they have to go out of their way to use it to shit on the original as if this newer one is a modern marvel in terms of storytelling when both movies generally follow a very similar storytelling pattern and what really shines through is the action scenes, just like the original movie.

But regardless of how either side feels in this matter, the people who are using this new movie to shit on the original just for the sake of it are people I'll write off entirely at this point. Yeah it does piss me off and I'm tired of seeing this nonsense. I enjoy both Brolys, both movies and even if I didn't like the original Broly I wouldn't be going all bat shit insane on a forum trying to "destroy" the original one. I'd just be focusing on what I enjoy but I guess that's too much.

2.
People that really try to act like the Dragon Ball Super anime is absolutely flawless, completely written better than the original Dragon Ball in all forms and acts like if you prefer the Super Manga in any form you're a troll and you have shit tastes and you're factually wrong and deserved to be ridiculed. There was a Dragon Ball community I participated on another site that was literally this all the time and it was disgusting and started making me hate the series. The more I distance myself from these crazy people the happier I am.

3.
Android 17 fans that try to convince me Gohan has had it great in Super. Just... Enough of that shit please.

And rant over.
I guess we're all guilty of this at times. That's why I try to avoid these kinds of discussions because it all comes down to preference. Rarely does anyone change their preference after one of these arguments anyway. It's fine comparing them based on merits but sometimes it devolves into people shitting on something to make what they like appear less shitty. I don't like DBS very much in general. While I usually prefer the manga, I also think some scenes were handled better in the anime. I also enjoyed both DBS: Broly and the original. In the end, we should remember we're all Dragonball fans. Regardless of what part of the series each fan prefers, we like the series enough to go the forum and discuss it so no reason to be hostile or put someone down for their opinions.

User avatar
dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:10 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 pm
People saying Goku and Vegeta are brothers. Like, for f**k's sake people, do you even watch the f**king show?! There is absolutely no evidence to support the fact that they're brothers! In fact we were introduced to Goku's actual brother before we were even introduced to Vegeta! Like, you've got to be a complete idiot to think Goku and Vegeta are brothers!
Lol when i was a little kid i used to think they were cousins :lol: :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:


dbgtFO wrote:

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:13 pm

I really wish there were more games that allowed the users to create their own dragon ball characters...........
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

I thank....... you......... -Broly to Cheelai

It's not right for you to say bad things about him. He is my dad." -Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about Paragus.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5977
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 pm

People who still in this day and age say "All anime dubs are inferior to the Japanese versions, but DBZ is the sole exception because Goku sounds like my granny in the Japanese version, so the whole entire product is therefore vastly inferior to the [FUNimation] dub."

Especially irritates me because they then love Linda Young's Freeza, who literally does sound like a grandma. Nozawa's Goku, even in her current age still sounds incredibly youthful and unique.

I'm not saying people can't like the dub, or even prefer it (I still watch the old stuff dubbed from time to time out of nostalgia), but I hate that statement specifically because it's incredibly close-minded and uninformed, and reeks of someone who is so tied to their nostalgia that they literally can't accept anything else, and I say that as someone who sometimes delves too far into nostalgia. Only I am always willing to try new things and learn to appreciate different things, and I wish more people would as well.

For different reasons, I feel the same way about people who say "DBZ sucks ass, just watch DBZ Abridged, it's a million times better". I admit it's a product with lots of love and care put into it, and while I admit to not being a fan of it, I can't wrap my mind around hating the source material so much but thinking a parody of it is the best thing in the world. I feel the same way about people who say the same thing about Yu-Gi-Oh! (except I did enjoy the Abridged series of that for a while), and then prattle on with tired jokes about how the franchise sucks anyway because "lol children's card game!". But that just reminds me of how I detest meme culture, because I feel any franchise that spawns popular memes is now bound to be remembered only because of stupid internet "humor".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Mr.Poot
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Mr.Poot » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:13 pm

1.People who call me a "fanboy" just because I want a DB release that isn't ruined by DNR .

2.How Funimation treats the series .

3.Dub vs Sub "debates" .

4.People who shit on Masako Nozawa .

5.99.99% of all Dragon Ball Youtubers .

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:37 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 pm
People who still in this day and age say "All anime dubs are inferior to the Japanese versions, but DBZ is the sole exception because Goku sounds like my granny in the Japanese version, so the whole entire product is therefore vastly inferior to the [FUNimation] dub."

Especially irritates me because they then love Linda Young's Freeza, who literally does sound like a grandma. Nozawa's Goku, even in her current age still sounds incredibly youthful and unique.

I'm not saying people can't like the dub, or even prefer it (I still watch the old stuff dubbed from time to time out of nostalgia), but I hate that statement specifically because it's incredibly close-minded and uninformed, and reeks of someone who is so tied to their nostalgia that they literally can't accept anything else, and I say that as someone who sometimes delves too far into nostalgia. Only I am always willing to try new things and learn to appreciate different things, and I wish more people would as well.

For different reasons, I feel the same way about people who say "DBZ sucks ass, just watch DBZ Abridged, it's a million times better". I admit it's a product with lots of love and care put into it, and while I admit to not being a fan of it, I can't wrap my mind around hating the source material so much but thinking a parody of it is the best thing in the world. I feel the same way about people who say the same thing about Yu-Gi-Oh! (except I did enjoy the Abridged series of that for a while), and then prattle on with tired jokes about how the franchise sucks anyway because "lol children's card game!". But that just reminds me of how I detest meme culture, because I feel any franchise that spawns popular memes is now bound to be remembered only because of stupid internet "humor".
Hmm I can sympathize with that feeling.
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

I thank....... you......... -Broly to Cheelai

It's not right for you to say bad things about him. He is my dad." -Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about Paragus.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:57 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 pm
People who still in this day and age say "All anime dubs are inferior to the Japanese versions, but DBZ is the sole exception because Goku sounds like my granny in the Japanese version, so the whole entire product is therefore vastly inferior to the [FUNimation] dub."

I’ve seen this a lot on sites like Crunchyroll and Neoseekers and its super baffling. Not just because Nozawa’s Goku sounds nothing like a grandma but all the other Funimation voices that are far more distractingly wrong
Especially irritates me because they then love Linda Young's Freeza, who literally does sound like a grandma
Young’s Freeza went from sounding like a poor man’s Pauline Newstone to sounding like Ursula from the Little Mermaid hatefucked Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers.

But the whole “We love Linda Young’s Freeza” is pretty revisionist. Nobody liked Young’s Freeza back in the day. Obviously fans of the Japanese version hated it because it was wrong but Toonami fans pretty much thought Freeza was an androgynous effeminate weirdo. There’s a reason Cell was far more popular with the Toonami fandom.

It was only when Kai gave Freeza a new voice did Young suddenly have all these fans.

Post Reply