Episode #0119 (09 March 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0119 (09 March 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:57 am

Episode #0119 (download MP3)
46:30; 64 kbps, mono; 21.2 MB

Episode #0119! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian catch up on various news and events, and then reminisce a bit about ye' olden days, staying home from school sick, and doing strange things with the series (like writing scathing articles). March's releases, Julian's DBZ ABCs, and an e-mail from someone damn well convinced Trunks went SSJ2 round out the episode. Referenced sites:
  • (links coming soon)
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the fantascarino *one-hundred-nineteen* episodes, now.

We're having a couple issues with our web hosting at the moment, and since I'm unable to upload a new file, the feed can't get updated with the episode :P. Hopefully the die-hard show fans will find this forum post and grab the episode, though! Meri totally called it and the topic was somewhat of a thinly-veiled attempt at one this week, but since I only just came out of a drug-induced stupor a mere day or so before recording the episode, I'd say that's pretty impressive!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:04 am

Host problems? This is what you get for using a server in British Columbia.

A British Columbia? Inconceivable! *I kid because I love*

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:19 pm

being eleven at the time, the only things that really stuck out to me about season3's flaws were that the new Goku voice made me feel confident in my voiceacting ability, the way Gohan said "Super Gohaaan!" sounded freaky, and it is not advised to immitate the Ginyu powerup yelling when someone empties a folder that you need not emptied for a class in which you have serious issues with the teacher... umm... while in said class. (... she thought it was a racecar. :? ).

The talking of what could and couldn't be referenced from past website updates makes me realize how little I know about how webcrawlers (web archive... when did that go up, anyway?) work. I'm lazy. :(.

... And the email thing certainly reminds me that my webhost decided to revamp their Email service recently, destroying most of my specific malboxes and making the whole thing generally inaccessible. Although in my case it's convenient that I get like two emails a year, so it's not quite so annoying (though not quite so temporary as I'm hoping the problem happening at Daizex is...).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:55 pm

I was mindlessly brawling while listening. :P

Another great episode though.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:41 pm

FUNimationRocks wrote:I was mindlessly brawling while listening. :P
Aw, wish I could say the same thing. Then again, I don't exactly play games during the weekdays (it's just how I work), so I probably wouldn't be playing anyways.

Interesting topic. Though I'm kinda like Meri in that I've never stayed home on account of being sick. I guess I'd describe myself as being the kid who goes to school regardless of being sick and ends up making everyone else sick because of such.

The closest thing I've got to doing strange things with the series while staying home from school sick is just watching a couple episodes on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I'm pretty sure that's the only time when I decide to watch either one of the specials or any of the movies.

Kinda stemming off of that, I remember letting my friend borrow my copy of movie 7 for a sleepover. The other guy who watched it with us was an incredibly left-brain kind of guy in that he kept pointing out how impossible it was to have those kinds of robots that have an unlimited amount of energy, etc. I was more entertained than annoyed with his nitpicking, though, since it's exactly what I'd expect of him :D.

... not exactly staying home from school, but it's something.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DBZGirl

Post by DBZGirl » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:50 pm

I greatly enjoy the episodes when you guys just chill.
They make me laugh more.
Laughing is GOOD.
*Can almost always be found running through streets singing a random DBZ song*

JohnnyBoy_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by JohnnyBoy_Z » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:25 am

I've started listening to your shows a lot more recently. You guys make me laugh. It's pretty entertaining listening, though. Another good episode. Thanks.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:14 am

FUNimationRocks wrote:I was mindlessly brawling while listening. :P

Another great episode though.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

God damn Brawl is so fun.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:21 pm

The deal with recognizing a voice actor upon hearing like a single word or sound come out of their mouth is how I am with dub actors...from like, anywhere. It's creepy. Seiyuu I can recognize if they have a VERY distinctive voice, otherwise to me sometimes they tend to run together.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Jeez, I remember when I was home sick from school, I'd watch game shows in the morning and cartoons on Nickelodeon/WGN/KLJB in the afternoon... I bet if I lived in Japan and had to be home sick from school, I'd watch the cartoons too.... that is, if Dragon Ball actually ran in the mornings.....

Ah, Season 3. Back when FUNi was settling in with its own cast.... everybody seemed to try to voice-match the Ocean cast, *especially* Chris Sabat's Piccolo. I mean, yeah, Sabat can hit those low notes, and I like his work, but back in those early Season 3 episodes Sabat kinda tried a bit too hard. I mean, who could forget Piccolo's orgasm after absorbing Nail:

"YES! YES! YES! YES! I CAN WIN! I FEEL GREAT! I... CAN... DO... THIS! UNNNGH!"

Even Sabat himself admits that's the worst Piccolo line ever.

I liked that some parts of DBZ are just "over the top", just as it should be at times, being that DBZ is a kid's show after all.

And regarding e-mails, you should read a few more "nerdy" e-mails from time to time, like this week's e-mail concerning the power levels and such. It's really weirdly fascinating to see otaku write in to Daizenshuu EX to agree or disagree with the podcast/website. Whether they were calm and cool like this week's e-mail, or slightly ranty like that one last year ("if it's never stated or shown in the manga it never happened!!!!111!1!"), it's fun to hear Vegetto EX come out and say what's on his mind concerning these e-mails.

Good podcast!
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:58 pm

Once again, great episode.

Oh, VegettoEX is right about how the Ocean Dub first 3 movies are the most UNCUT English Version released; because luckily I have Dead Zone and World's Strongest on VHS and I use a VCR for getting cable on my ancient TV.

Anyways, I watched World's Strongest; with all the blood, Original Opening and Ending Themes, Gohan's Dream Song and swearing intact.

I'm gonna dig around my house Ocean Dub episodes.

Off Topic: VegettoEX do you like the Dubs of Death Note & FUNi's One Piece?

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:31 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Off Topic: VegettoEX do you like the Dubs of Death Note & FUNi's One Piece?
I've always been curious of that as well.

Everytime someone on the podcast would mention being raised on Dragonball in Japanese, I could never really understand why they dislike Funimation's dub to such an extent (being that I enetered the world of Dragonball right around the time of Funimation).

After seeing the Death Note dub, I completely understand. :P

(Although I wouldn't place it on Funimation's level)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote: because luckily I have Dead Zone and World's Strongest on VHS
For those who want to know, Madman's first dbz movie boxset (which is still in print) has the three original dubs, we never got First Strike here.

I think it's about $50 AUD for all three.

Gr8t Saiyaman

Post by Gr8t Saiyaman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 am

Brakus wrote:
"YES! YES! YES! YES! I CAN WIN! I FEEL GREAT! I... CAN... DO... THIS! UNNNGH!"

Even Sabat himself admits that's the worst Piccolo line ever.
I must admit...the line after that is pretty bad too...

YES! I'M HOME! I'M ALIVE! THIS IS ALL A MIRACLE! I'M AWAKE! I'M WIIIIIDE AWAKE!!!

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Off Topic: VegettoEX do you like the Dubs of Death Note & FUNi's One Piece?
I dunno about Mike, but I think he would agree with me that the Death Note dub is fantastic. Only saw one episode of the new One Piece dub, so can't make a judgment (I know, we suck :cry:).

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Meri wrote:
I dunno about Mike, but I think he would agree with me that the Death Note dub is fantastic. Only saw one episode of the new One Piece dub, so can't make a judgment (I know, we suck :cry:).
You guys don'tsuck. To tell you the truth I only watch the One Piece dub when I'm bored of the computer on Saturdays.

Speaking of the Death Note dub there are some super-elitists that are pissed because L's voice is a bit funky and the don't call Light "Raito" even though Death Note's dubbed awesomely.

Brain Drummond as Ryuk [& Vegeta] kicks ass!

Sorry for starting to go off-topic there.

I can't wait for next weeks podcast.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:10 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote: You guys don'tsuck. To tell you the truth I only watch the One Piece dub when I'm bored of the computer on Saturdays.
I was running behind on One Piece, but that's what my TiVo is for. I'm all caught up now. Too bad One Piece is being rested after March 22.

But to bring it back on topic, I'm kinda "meh" about mid-1990's Ocean Group dub of DBZ. It's good, I guess....
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:10 am

What Pokemon movie did you end up watching, VegettoEX?

My first memories of Season 3 was from when Cartoon Network premiered the episodes. I remember that the network showed the last two episodes of Season 2 and then the first two episodes of Season 3, and the contrast between the two dubs was incredible. I was instantly struck by the music (what I call "monkeys banging on trash can lids" music) and the horrific vocal performances. I kind of had the same feeling that VegettoEX had...utter shock and disbelief that something like that could make it to the airwaves. I've seen fandubs better than the early Season 3 stuff.

I think the fact that Toonami chose to premiere the new dub alongside the last few episodes of the old dub only helped emphasize the differences between the two.

Personally, I don't have any "Dragon Ball Z memories from when I was sick" stories since I rarely ever get sick.

Next week is the Manga Review of Awesomeness?

[/i]
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am

I have come to the conclusion that I am the only person in the world who owns the Manga, and has watched through "Season 3" in Japanese, and still can enjoy the old Dub of Season 3. I really think that later on (Maybe by the Mid-Freeza fight), Schemmel started to really get into his role and deliver some good lines. I mean, despite the early bad impressions (God I'm go glad Schemmel's impression only lasted like 2 or 3 Episodes), bad acting, & line changes. I still enjoy it thoughrouly (Total spelling error).

However I can relate to the feeling you felt with "is this a joke?"

Because when we first started getting news of the Season Sets...I was psyched. Even though we already knew about the Widescreen, I thought the fans would still accept these sets for all the good. I knew they said "Original colors" and immediatley though "YAY!! DRAGONBOX COLORS!!!"...Then came the fateful day when they released that first image of Gohan (during his training with Piccolo)...I looked at that image and just...wow...I wish I could have seen the expression on my face.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:36 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote: I knew they said "Original colors" and immediatley though "YAY!! DRAGONBOX COLORS!!!"...Then came the fateful day when they released that first image of Gohan (during his training with Piccolo)...I looked at that image and just...wow...I wish I could have seen the expression on my face.
You should have seen my face when I started watching my season 2 set.

I actually stood up and said to no-one in particular.

"This is fuckin' bullshit"

God those colours are bad.