Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Bruma rabu
Regular
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I absolutely refuse to buy them until they've gone back and done the boyhood material. If they don't release that material at all, I'm just not going to bother, and I'll get the VizBigs instead. If they do release the boyhood material, then I'll only start buying it from the beginning of that material, because -- apparently unusually -- I like to experience Dragon Ball in order.
I'm also on the same boat, i want it complete not just the z portion. I cant even imagen when the boyhood stuff will come out if ever.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:I'm also on the same boat, i want it complete not just the z portion. I cant even imagen when the boyhood stuff will come out if ever.
I did figure out a rough timeframe a while back...
Robo4900 wrote:[...] using these assumptions to estimate the release times, and not counting overhangs of a month or two in/out of the given years(Freeza's last volume was the 3rd of January 2017, but in my estimation, I would write Freeza's release as just being 2016)...
Cell would be 2018-2019, Boo would be 2021-2022, Boyhood would be 2024-2025, and Piccolo would be 2027-2028.
So, if this turns out true, we'll be waiting 11 years for the rest of the Full Colour manga. As much as Viz's handling of Full Colour is awful, I doubt they'd be that bad with it, although I wouldn't totally discount the possibility.

If Viz are merciful, and decide to release each arc over the course of a year, this will be better, with the release schedule being more like Cell in 2018, Boo in 2020, Boyhood in 2022, and Piccolo in 2024.
But that's still damn awful in my opinion, and I hope they accelerate the release; they could at least cut the 1-year break between arcs, that would make this significantly less painful(With 1 year per arc, that'd be Cell 2018, Boo 2019, Boyhood 2020, Piccolo 2021. With the presumed 2 years per arc given their supposed 3 volumes per year, it'd be Cell 2018-2019, Boo 2019-2020, Boyhood 2020-2021, Piccolo 2022-2023, or possibly Boyhood 2020-2022, and Piccolo 2022-2024). Still not great, but at least it would be a consistent schedule, instead of a fluctuating one full of year-long holes.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Viz released the Saiyan arc and then much, much later we finally got the Freeza arc so to me it seems like it's all about patience. Want it in English? You gotta wait months or years to get the next arc.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Viz released the Saiyan arc and then much, much later we finally got the Freeza arc so to me it seems like it's all about patience. Want it in English? You gotta wait months or years to get the next arc.
So far, each arc has been released over a period of two years, with about a 1-year gap between each arc.

So, we can expect the Cell/Androids arc to begin this year. See my previous post for the more detailed breakdown.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:37 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by dragondyle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 am

Viz stated this on their Twitter regarding the Full Colors:
Dragon Ball Full Color arcs are licensed separately from one another so we have no word on a release of the next arc. Stay tuned for more news on Dragon Ball manga!
So, we just gotta wait and see. It seems like a matter of time and Viz doesn’t seem to be the company to cancel a Dragon Ball product line. Hell, they did like 10 or so of those Dragon Ball chapter books so who knows.
PSN: gameperson23
Steam: dillynchadwick
(If you add me, please message me who you are. Thanks.)
Rocketman wrote: Also, Roshi blew up the Moon. He'd fuck up anybody in One Piece, Naruto, and probably Bleach.

User avatar
GamerSkull
Regular
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm
Location: United States

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 pm

It's really weird ro see how long they seem to be taking with this publication.

Although, it seems Viz is pretty slow when it comes to releases for a lot of things according to what I've heard.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Mewzard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:46 pm

GamerSkull wrote:It's really weird ro see how long they seem to be taking with this publication.

Although, it seems Viz is pretty slow when it comes to releases for a lot of things according to what I've heard.
One could argue that they want to let the hype build a bit, and also give a bit of a gap so they don't burn out people's interest.

I hope we get Cell soon...then Buu, then the pre Saiyan stuff. Hopefully with no real censorship.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Mewzard wrote:One could argue that they want to let the hype build a bit, and also give a bit of a gap so they don't burn out people's interest.
The problem is that, even though they are a bit pricey, the gaps between saga releases is so long that people keep thinking it's been cancelled!

User avatar
GamerSkull
Regular
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm
Location: United States

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Mewzard wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:It's really weird ro see how long they seem to be taking with this publication.

Although, it seems Viz is pretty slow when it comes to releases for a lot of things according to what I've heard.
One could argue that they want to let the hype build a bit, and also give a bit of a gap so they don't burn out people's interest.

I hope we get Cell soon...then Buu, then the pre Saiyan stuff. Hopefully with no real censorship.
Yeah, but the opposite is also capable of happening...

Like people losing interest because it's taking too long. If I'm interested in these full colors... it'd mostly be for the pre-Saiyan stuff and we won't get that for a LONG time.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

User avatar
SonGokuSuperSayian
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:23 am

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by SonGokuSuperSayian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 am

Yo!! Any news from VIZ at this point??? It´s about time to release the first chapter of the androids/cell arc

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am

SonGokuSuperSayian wrote:Yo!! Any news from VIZ at this point??? It´s about time to release the first chapter of the androids/cell arc
I've seen nothing.

I think it's still a case of Viz negotiating with Shueisha and not being allowed to say anything, so we're getting total silence.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by KBABZ » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SonGokuSuperSayian wrote:Yo!! Any news from VIZ at this point??? It´s about time to release the first chapter of the androids/cell arc
I've seen nothing.

I think it's still a case of Viz negotiating with Shueisha and not being allowed to say anything, so we're getting total silence.
And at this point, the reprint of the B/W version is probably taking priority right now. If it contains a new translation, that'd affect the Full Colour version as well.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:33 am

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
SonGokuSuperSayian wrote:Yo!! Any news from VIZ at this point??? It´s about time to release the first chapter of the androids/cell arc
I've seen nothing.

I think it's still a case of Viz negotiating with Shueisha and not being allowed to say anything, so we're getting total silence.
And at this point, the reprint of the B/W version is probably taking priority right now. If it contains a new translation, that'd affect the Full Colour version as well.
I won't contain a new translation. No way.

But yes, the black and white reprint is probably taking priority at the moment.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
Dagon
Banned
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 am

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Dagon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:11 am

I'm thinking they don't want to over-saturate the manga market with too many mangas at once. Yeah, they could print and ship the whole series right now, but what DBZ fan is going to buy all of them quickly? Anime and manga fans are notoriously cheap folks; it's why so many illegal anime and manga sharing sites exist. Viz may just be doing standard business practice by ensuring the demand is high enough to sell future releases.

One thing to note is Viz's DBZ Full Color is about twice the size of the Japanese full color, so there's more cost to the product.

User avatar
TobyS
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by TobyS » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:26 am

What black and white version is out? I thought the original viz and 3 in 1s had all finished...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:56 am

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I've seen nothing.

I think it's still a case of Viz negotiating with Shueisha and not being allowed to say anything, so we're getting total silence.
And at this point, the reprint of the B/W version is probably taking priority right now. If it contains a new translation, that'd affect the Full Colour version as well.
I won't contain a new translation. No way.
If that's true, what's the reason for this reprint then? New covers? New dimensions? A refresh to boost sales or something?
Dagon wrote:One thing to note is Viz's DBZ Full Color is about twice the size of the Japanese full color, so there's more cost to the product.
More than that, they're the exact same dimensions as Shonen Jump, meaning that outside of owning those they're the only way to read the manga at the original publication size. That combined with the gorgeous colouring is the reason why for me the Full Colors trump any version of ViZ's translated editions of Dragon Ball.

User avatar
MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by MrKaytos » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 am

Find out what Dragon Ball Dream means by one single click: https://twitter.com/MrKaytos

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 am

MrKaytos wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 am
Viz published this last 7th May: https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1125823686441717760
My guess then is that the Full Colours didn't sell well enough to warrant continuing them.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 am
MrKaytos wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 am
Viz published this last 7th May: https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1125823686441717760
My guess then is that the Full Colours didn't sell well enough to warrant continuing them.
From what I recall, the Full Colours were known to have sold very well.

What they've said every time they've responded to people asking about this is exactly what they said in that Tweet, which is what they've been saying since the Saiyan arc ended and had its pause before Freeza; each arc is licensed separately, so they have to re-negotiate it with Shueisha individually.

So, it's just Shueisha dragging their feet.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13936
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Is Viz gonna complete the Dragon Ball Z full color manga?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:56 am

I remember one of their translators got fired for being a pedo (Having upload kiddie porn on the web). I guess they could be looking for someone new to translate their work.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Post Reply