Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 am

ect5150 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm
Why does Toei keep enabling them?
That and a large part of the overall fanbase that thinks the DNR isn't that bad.
Or just don't know what it is and don't care to find out. It's like people think learning about these types of things is bad because it makes you realize how bad the picture is. But that works both ways. When you understand picture quality you're also able to appreciate GOOD picture quality so much more.

Whatever. I'm done with FUNimation. Pointless dub script changes, butchering Ultimate Power with their dub of it, ruining what could have been a great DBZ Blu-ray release, and so much more, all in 2019. This is the same type of crap they've been doing for years. They'll never learn, because their fanboys are too busy bowing at their feet.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 am
ect5150 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm
Why does Toei keep enabling them?
That and a large part of the overall fanbase that thinks the DNR isn't that bad.
Or just don't know what it is and don't care to find out. It's like people think learning about these types of things is bad because it makes you realize how bad the picture is. But that works both ways. When you understand picture quality you're also able to appreciate GOOD picture quality so much more.

Whatever. I'm done with FUNimation. Pointless dub script changes, butchering Ultimate Power with their dub of it, ruining what could have been a great DBZ Blu-ray release, and so much more, all in 2019. This is the same type of crap they've been doing for years. They'll never learn, because their fanboys are too busy bowing at their feet.
The script changes usually are just the dub team having fun or trying to fit the scripts into English, Ultimate Power IS just not good, but they can easily make a new version, & the Blu-Rays are just straight-up the only real offense they have, really. Any script changes are relatively minor so the fact that people get offended by the ones that don't change the episodes in any way & dubbed songs are just good or bad. They can be fixed with audio editing & rerecordings. The Blu-Rays can't be fixed once they're out there in the wild. FUNimation also produce good dubs & good products for shows outside of Z, so I don't think slighting the entire company for some badly done products every once in a while is really fair.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 am

Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:29 am
ect5150 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm

That and a large part of the overall fanbase that thinks the DNR isn't that bad.
Or just don't know what it is and don't care to find out. It's like people think learning about these types of things is bad because it makes you realize how bad the picture is. But that works both ways. When you understand picture quality you're also able to appreciate GOOD picture quality so much more.

Whatever. I'm done with FUNimation. Pointless dub script changes, butchering Ultimate Power with their dub of it, ruining what could have been a great DBZ Blu-ray release, and so much more, all in 2019. This is the same type of crap they've been doing for years. They'll never learn, because their fanboys are too busy bowing at their feet.
The script changes usually are just the dub team having fun or trying to fit the scripts into English, Ultimate Power IS just not good, but they can easily make a new version, & the Blu-Rays are just straight-up the only real offense they have, really. Any script changes are relatively minor so the fact that people get offended by the ones that don't change the episodes in any way & dubbed songs are just good or bad. They can be fixed with audio editing & rerecordings. The Blu-Rays can't be fixed once they're out there in the wild. FUNimation also produce good dubs & good products for shows outside of Z, so I don't think slighting the entire company for some badly done products every once in a while is really fair.
Nah, they aren't minor. On their own, completely separate from one another, they are minor. But one after another after another after another add up, are annoying, and most of all, are unnecessary. Go look at the difference between Trunks's reaction to #18 confronting him about her death in his future. In Japanese, he's lost for words and doesn't know how to respond, understandably. In English, he smugly responds "Well it was you or mankind so yeah". These types of things subtly alter the presentation of the character and Super is rife with this crap.

Don't defend them, or else you're just as bad as the Blu-ray defenders. Also, "Time for me to make the donuts" was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Get out of here with that meme trash and translate the show while making it not sound awkward in English.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 am
Nah, they aren't minor. On their own, completely separate from one another, they are minor. But one after another after another after another add up, are annoying, and most of all, are unnecessary. Go look at the difference between Trunks's reaction to #18 confronting him about her death in his future. In Japanese, he's lost for words and doesn't know how to respond, understandably. In English, he smugly responds "Well it was you or mankind so yeah". These types of things subtly alter the presentation of the character and Super is rife with this crap.

Don't defend them, or else you're just as bad as the Blu-ray defenders. Also, "Time for me to make the donuts" was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Get out of here with that meme trash and translate the show while making it not sound awkward in English.
First of all, I'm NOT defending them when it comes to the shit Z products they continually produce. The home releases & the dubs are 2 separate things & each thing they dub is handled by different people, so the quality varies where the translations have a liberal amount of adlibs/changes, or the dubs are pretty 1-1. Dragon Ball Super actually gets off lighter than other properties I've seen them dub, like Dragon Maid, where the script writers for some reason changed one of the main girl's sexuality in the dub for no real reason, but then there's the flipside where One Piece is one of their best dubs right now-hell, ever with VERY accurate dialogue & on-point acting from the cast every single time. Each was showran & supervised, largely, by different teams of people.

The dub is a different matter entirely. Yes, there are some bad line changes, but I've only found a few that are terribly egregious, honestly. Most of them are completely in-character or are in the spirit of the scene & convey the same meanings as the original lines, like Gowasu explaining the balance of reality to Zamasu. Both ways of putting the scene are entirely valid & the English dub just made it more poetic. Hell, adding lines actually made a scene funnier, in my opinion, like where Goku gets Satan Punched away from Chichi when she saw him about to fight those aliens. Yes, I'm one of the people that found that blatant stupidity funny, mainly because I love random, stupid humor like that & it just accentuated the already-there physical comedy of it. Most of the changes don't impact the story overall & are harmless in the grant scheme of things. Hell, sometimes they spice up what was boring in the Japanese, or make scenes more impactful. At least the ones that don't outright break the moment.

The example you talked about with Trunks & 18, I looked up. They're both almost the same in terms of meaning, only the dub has a bit more personality to it. The dub has Trunks make a retort while the sub has him a bit tongue-tied. Both dubs, however, get the same point across that Trunks is worried about what could happen, but both are valid interpretations of Trunks' personality. The sub has him indecisive on what to say, which makes sense because he just had a shock about finding out she's still alive in this timeline, whereas in the dub, he makes a witty retort to show he's not gonna be a pushover, which he shouldn't because he's stronger than her & killed her already. Both are valid reactions to what's going on in that moment & I see both being well within character. It wasn't smug, it was him showing her he meant business. Rewatch it, there's no sense of smug in his voice & he wasn't exactly quiet in Japanese either, as both are him reacting in fear at seeing her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhFtNAZUCGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM4UijiwbdM

When it comes to Hit saying "time to make the donuts," however, I have to give you that one. Granted, I'm pretty sure it was just a reference to the line from Xenoverse 2, rather than the meme it spawned, that Sabat might've taken a liking to. That, however, is a bit of a step too far in the self-referential territory that this dub walks the line of.

If I defend them in SOME areas, but not others, I'm not "as bad as the Blu-Ray defenders." I'm making an informed decision, whereas the BR defenders aren't. They're the people who don't know what they're talking about here, not me. If you don't show people where they're failing & where they're succeeding, how else are they supposed to learn? Companies are like stupid children/teenagers; they'll try to get away with what they can, or they'll try to do the right thing most of the time, but when they fuck up, that's when you need to correct them. If it wasn't for the loud section of the fanbase who's had enough of this shit, we wouldn't have gotten the Dragon Boxes & we wouldn't have gotten some of the dub rerecordings they did after initial broadcasts of Super. FUNi admit themselves that the BRs are a result of people voting with their wallets, so if I buy the products I DO like from FUNi & don't buy what I DON'T like, I'm telling them that I want more of this type of thing over another. I like One Piece, I like their dub, I like the DVD & BR sets, I buy them. I hate the DBZ releases, I don't buy them, I tell them WHY I'm not buying them. I have a similar thing with Activision. I don't buy CODBO4 because it's both the same shit as the last several games with a mode changed into a different one & HEAVY on the microtransactions. However, I bought the Crash & Spyro remastered trilogies & Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled to show my support for games like them that are complete, have no microtransactions, & are actually fun to play. Get it? Doing nothing, buying nothing from them does absolutely nothing to tell them what you want. Companies go with the money & if you show them where the money is, they're correct course, hopefully. It's a think smarter, not harder kind of thing.

And anyways, the whole new Z BRs being a limited, crowd-funded thing is them admitting they know not a lot of fans are gonna wanna rebuy the entire series for the Nth time, so they limit it to 6,000 copies at max because they know only collectors & hardcore fans will buy it. They tried to amend some of the things from the past releases some people had issues with (the cropping, the brightness, etc), but they didn't fix the inherent problems in their remastering style, so they didn't sell out the entire 6,000 copies, only around 4,500. Enough to get them produced, but hopefully so little that they know, especially with the backlash they've gotten, that it's not good enough. We're basically getting baby steps with them. Hopefully the next set in 20?? will remove the terrible grain removal in favor for a better solution. After THAT, I'll buy the sets. It's shit that I'll have to wait THAT long to actually buy a GOOD set for Z so I'd be able to watch the show in its original format for the first time all the way through & not just the later chunks, but I'll pay for it then. Til then, I'll keep going with my philosophy.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:14 am

I mean, you’re just flat out, 100% wrong on the Trunks thing. I don’t care what twisting you’re doing to justify it. It is a completely different reaction than the original and paints Trunks’s personality in a different way.

As regards the rest, it’s currently 3am so I’ll have to read it later.

As an aside, try to look up an old post from, I think, Robo4900. He takes a look at the scripts for the Japanese, FUNi, and Toonzai versions just in the Arale episode. The amount of unnecessary changes FUNi makes to...uh...”spice up” the dialogue is just ridiculous. Like, there’s literally no need for it. It improves nothing.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:14 am
I mean, you’re just flat out, 100% wrong on the Trunks thing. I don’t care what twisting you’re doing to justify it. It is a completely different reaction than the original and paints Trunks’s personality in a different way.

As regards the rest, it’s currently 3am so I’ll have to read it later.

As an aside, try to look up an old post from, I think, Robo4900. He takes a look at the scripts for the Japanese, FUNi, and Toonzai versions just in the Arale episode. The amount of unnecessary changes FUNi makes to...uh...”spice up” the dialogue is just ridiculous. Like, there’s literally no need for it. It improves nothing.
Ok, now I feel personally insulted. You didn't even read what I actually said, you just skimmed the paragraphs I wrote on this subject, saw the stuff that basically said, "I disagree," then didn't even try to read anything else. I SAID it's different, my guy. It's entirely different in its meaning, execution, & whatever. I SAID, however, that it wasn't BAD, in my opinion. I said both are entirely valid ways of doing the scene. Your whole schpeal about, "the dialogue changes are bad, regardless of context" is sub purist bullshit that I'm not entertaining. I'm trying to explain the reasons behind some of the changes & say I, personally, don't have a problem with most of the changes in my opinion that you're more than welcome to disagree with. I get that you're tired, so maybe put off reading the entire thing so you don't respond shortly & insult the person you're responding to. Just some advice.

Also, Super doesn't air on Toonzai. That block went the way of the Dodo years ago. That was Kai. Super airs right now exclusively on Toonami here in the US.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 am

Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 am
They're both almost the same in terms of meaning
Scsigs wrote:I SAID it's different, my guy. It's entirely different in its meaning, execution, & whatever.
Sorry what?

As regards Toonzai, I confused myself with a similar post from Robo4900 comparing I believe the FUNi/Blue Water/Japanese scripts for GT. Here is a link to the page I was talking about where he compares the Simulcast subs with the FUNi dub script for the Arale episode. It’s near the middle of the page.

I got confused because I didn’t realize the Bang Zoom dub had been cancelled, so my memory mixed things up big time. And I got Bang Zoom and Toonzai mixed up somehow in my head. Regardless, my point is exactly the same.

As regards you feeling insulted...I’m sorry? I don’t know what else to say. I didn’t skim anything. I specifically only read the Trunks paragraph as it was 3am and I didn’t have time for the rest.

And I never said dub changes were bad regardless of context. I said FUNi makes changes in areas that are completely unnecessary just for a laugh or a meme or for self referential purposes. Moostache, “Oh yeah let’s go see Yamcha”, HFIL, make the donuts, and so, so many more are just dumb and unnecessary. Translate it, make it sound natural in English, dub it. That’s all they have to do for EVERYONE to be happy. But no, they have to “spice it up” by making it worse.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 am
Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 am
They're both almost the same in terms of meaning
Scsigs wrote:I SAID it's different, my guy. It's entirely different in its meaning, execution, & whatever.
Sorry what?

As regards Toonzai, I confused myself with a similar post from Robo4900 comparing I believe the FUNi/Blue Water/Japanese scripts for GT. Here is a link to the page I was talking about where he compares the Simulcast subs with the FUNi dub script for the Arale episode. It’s near the middle of the page.

I got confused because I didn’t realize the Bang Zoom dub had been cancelled, so my memory mixed things up big time. And I got Bang Zoom and Toonzai mixed up somehow in my head. Regardless, my point is exactly the same.

As regards you feeling insulted...I’m sorry? I don’t know what else to say. I didn’t skim anything. I specifically only read the Trunks paragraph as it was 3am and I didn’t have time for the rest.

And I never said dub changes were bad regardless of context. I said FUNi makes changes in areas that are completely unnecessary just for a laugh or a meme or for self referential purposes. Moostache, “Oh yeah let’s go see Yamcha”, HFIL, make the donuts, and so, so many more are just dumb and unnecessary. Translate it, make it sound natural in English, dub it. That’s all they have to do for EVERYONE to be happy. But no, they have to “spice it up” by making it worse.
It seems that even though they have vastly improved their adapting methods in terms of scripts and such compared to back in 1999/2000 when they first started dubbing the show in house, the whole "punch up" thing has still stuck around even though it's not quite as prominent as it was back when the Z dub was originally being produced.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 am
Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 am
They're both almost the same in terms of meaning
Scsigs wrote:I SAID it's different, my guy. It's entirely different in its meaning, execution, & whatever.
Sorry what?

As regards Toonzai, I confused myself with a similar post from Robo4900 comparing I believe the FUNi/Blue Water/Japanese scripts for GT. Here is a link to the page I was talking about where he compares the Simulcast subs with the FUNi dub script for the Arale episode. It’s near the middle of the page.

I got confused because I didn’t realize the Bang Zoom dub had been cancelled, so my memory mixed things up big time. And I got Bang Zoom and Toonzai mixed up somehow in my head. Regardless, my point is exactly the same.

As regards you feeling insulted...I’m sorry? I don’t know what else to say. I didn’t skim anything. I specifically only read the Trunks paragraph as it was 3am and I didn’t have time for the rest.

And I never said dub changes were bad regardless of context. I said FUNi makes changes in areas that are completely unnecessary just for a laugh or a meme or for self referential purposes. Moostache, “Oh yeah let’s go see Yamcha”, HFIL, make the donuts, and so, so many more are just dumb and unnecessary. Translate it, make it sound natural in English, dub it. That’s all they have to do for EVERYONE to be happy. But no, they have to “spice it up” by making it worse.
It seems that even though they have vastly improved their adapting methods in terms of scripts and such compared to back in 1999/2000 when they first started dubbing the show in house, the whole "punch up" thing has still stuck around even though it's not quite as prominent as it was back when the Z dub was originally being produced.
That’s the thing, yeah. The “spice up” or “punch up” isn’t AS bad, but it is almost the exact same method as the original Z dub. The base storyline and its details are mostly correct. The origins of the Androids, Cell, Boo, new Super Saiyan forms, how the dragon balls work, the Namekians, etc. All of that was left intact. But it is the consistent changing of lines in unnecessary areas that subtly change how we perceive the characters, or make us gag from going for cheap humor, that got hate from fans, and it has persisted down do this day. Kai 1.0 was their best attempt ever. Since then they just reverted back to their old structure while attempting to lessen the intensity of it. But the issue isn’t the intensity, it’s the structure itself.

Nobody ASKS for memes, or “spicing up”, or self referential dialogue. But, it’s the FUNimation dub, so it gets praise for whatever the hell it decides to do, just because it’s the FUNimation dub. Just like it has for the past 2 decades.

Anyway, this is supposed to be the 30th anniversary Blu-ray thread so I think I’ll just bow out now. There’s nothing else really to say anyway.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 am




Sorry what?

As regards Toonzai, I confused myself with a similar post from Robo4900 comparing I believe the FUNi/Blue Water/Japanese scripts for GT. Here is a link to the page I was talking about where he compares the Simulcast subs with the FUNi dub script for the Arale episode. It’s near the middle of the page.

I got confused because I didn’t realize the Bang Zoom dub had been cancelled, so my memory mixed things up big time. And I got Bang Zoom and Toonzai mixed up somehow in my head. Regardless, my point is exactly the same.

As regards you feeling insulted...I’m sorry? I don’t know what else to say. I didn’t skim anything. I specifically only read the Trunks paragraph as it was 3am and I didn’t have time for the rest.

And I never said dub changes were bad regardless of context. I said FUNi makes changes in areas that are completely unnecessary just for a laugh or a meme or for self referential purposes. Moostache, “Oh yeah let’s go see Yamcha”, HFIL, make the donuts, and so, so many more are just dumb and unnecessary. Translate it, make it sound natural in English, dub it. That’s all they have to do for EVERYONE to be happy. But no, they have to “spice it up” by making it worse.
It seems that even though they have vastly improved their adapting methods in terms of scripts and such compared to back in 1999/2000 when they first started dubbing the show in house, the whole "punch up" thing has still stuck around even though it's not quite as prominent as it was back when the Z dub was originally being produced.
That’s the thing, yeah. The “spice up” or “punch up” isn’t AS bad, but it is almost the exact same method as the original Z dub. The base storyline and its details are mostly correct. The origins of the Androids, Cell, Boo, new Super Saiyan forms, how the dragon balls work, the Namekians, etc. All of that was left intact. But it is the consistent changing of lines in unnecessary areas that subtly change how we perceive the characters, or make us gag from going for cheap humor, that got hate from fans, and it has persisted down do this day. Kai 1.0 was their best attempt ever. Since then they just reverted back to their old structure while attempting to lessen the intensity of it. But the issue isn’t the intensity, it’s the structure itself.

Nobody ASKS for memes, or “spicing up”, or self referential dialogue. But, it’s the FUNimation dub, so it gets praise for whatever the hell it decides to do, just because it’s the FUNimation dub. Just like it has for the past 2 decades.

Anyway, this is the Blu-ray thread so I think I’ll just bow out now. There’s nothing else really to say anyway.
I get your point there, and yeah in the dub's case with those points you mention i think it's an "old habits die hard" kind of thing on FUNi's part especially considering how long that kind of extreme altering in terms of dialogue and addition of jokes and such that were never there originally in the Japanese version was a very prominent part of their dubbing process in the late '90s/early 2000's after they went in house following the parting of ways with Saban and the dropping of the Ocean cast. Yes, Super's dub is not the best with those things in mind but at the same time even with that i still wouldn't consider it to the level of the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes when the FUNi cast first took over as the voices the characters and that is definitely a reflection of that era in terms of how unfamiliar and green they were starting out with going it themselves.

Simply put, i agree that Super's dub could be better in that regard but even then i still don't see it being quite nearly as bad as when they first started almost 20 years ago.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:44 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am
I get your point there, and yeah in the dub's case with those points you mention i think it's an "old habits die hard" kind of thing on FUNi's part especially considering how long that kind of extreme altering in terms of dialogue and addition of jokes and such that were never there originally in the Japanese version was a very prominent part of their dubbing process in the late '90s/early 2000's after they went in house following the parting of ways with Saban and the dropping of the Ocean cast. Yes, Super's dub is not the best with those things in mind but at the same time even with that i still wouldn't consider it to the level of the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes when the FUNi cast first took over as the voices the characters and that is definitely a reflection of that era in terms of how unfamiliar and green they were starting out with going it themselves.

Simply put, i agree that Super's dub could be better in that regard but even then i still don't see it being quite nearly as bad as when they first started almost 20 years ago.
Exactly. There are people who say without a trace of irony that it's just as bad as DBZ's dub, which is REALLY not true. We're not getting entire scenes mistranslated, or rewritten to force emotions (for instance, Vegeta dying to Frieza & his impassioned speech to Goku about avenging the Saiyans was heavily changed to have him say how Frieza tortured him & threatened to kill his father if he didn't do what he said, even though it's inconsistent with his & Frieza's characters even in the dub, or when Vegeta said Goku's father was a brilliant scientist & invented the energy ball thing for forcing an Oozaru transformation to add irony to using it against him. You can easily tell they didn't watch at least the entire arc before dubbing the show & just made shit up as they went along, which presents continuity errors that even the Japanese version of the anime, which had some already, didn't have). We're getting the scenes as originally presented, just sometimes with some added flavor text. Like how I explained above how they changed the scene where Trunks meets present 18 & that the scene is the same between the languages, but they just had Trunks make a remark to her rather than being tongue-tied, y'know? It's not like the scene was entirely rewritten to have 18 being evil again just for the sake of forcing an emotion out of the audience even though it's inconsistent with the scene as it was originally & 18's character. We get the scene as it originally was in Japanese, just with Trunks having a different line which still makes sense in context. If the Japanese script had Trunks saying the same thing, or like, "I had to y'know," or something, I doubt there'd be this level of bitching because the sub purists would accept it without question.

There are ways to judge a dub & the Super dub gets judged very unfairly thanks to the Z dub. Sins of the father is definitely in play here, even though the way both dubs are/were handled were very different & in different eras of anime dubbing where the standards were WAY different. Now ANY adlibbing or slight changes are seen as "the new dork age of Dragon Ball," even though that couldn't be further from the truth. I can understand hating the outright bad, stupid, & wrong changes in the Super dub, like "time to make the donuts" & the like, but I don't see the more minor changes as really that bad, especially when they don't fundamentally change the way you view the series. Not all changes are bad just because they're changes is all I was trying to say above, which Forte stated very clearly is what he thinks. The ones that are should be called out, but the little ones are just that; little. They do no harm to the overall product. Hell, Kai had small adlibs here & there & that dub's lauded for simply being a dub like it is for Z's material in anime form, as Z's should've been. Super's dub is almost the same level of quality, yet some people take ANY opportunity to shit on it for the slightest toe being out of line. SOME instances I can understand, but not all of them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:44 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am
I get your point there, and yeah in the dub's case with those points you mention i think it's an "old habits die hard" kind of thing on FUNi's part especially considering how long that kind of extreme altering in terms of dialogue and addition of jokes and such that were never there originally in the Japanese version was a very prominent part of their dubbing process in the late '90s/early 2000's after they went in house following the parting of ways with Saban and the dropping of the Ocean cast. Yes, Super's dub is not the best with those things in mind but at the same time even with that i still wouldn't consider it to the level of the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes when the FUNi cast first took over as the voices the characters and that is definitely a reflection of that era in terms of how unfamiliar and green they were starting out with going it themselves.

Simply put, i agree that Super's dub could be better in that regard but even then i still don't see it being quite nearly as bad as when they first started almost 20 years ago.
Exactly. There are people who say without a trace of irony that it's just as bad as DBZ's dub, which is REALLY not true. We're not getting entire scenes mistranslated, or rewritten to force emotions (for instance, Vegeta dying to Frieza & his impassioned speech to Goku about avenging the Saiyans was heavily changed to have him say how Frieza tortured him & threatened to kill his father if he didn't do what he said, even though it's inconsistent with his & Frieza's characters even in the dub, or when Vegeta said Goku's father was a brilliant scientist & invented the energy ball thing for forcing an Oozaru transformation to add irony to using it against him. You can easily tell they didn't watch at least the entire arc before dubbing the show & just made shit up as they went along, which presents continuity errors that even the Japanese version of the anime, which had some already, didn't have). We're getting the scenes as originally presented, just sometimes with some added flavor text. Like how I explained above how they changed the scene where Trunks meets present 18 & that the scene is the same between the languages, but they just had Trunks make a remark to her rather than being tongue-tied, y'know? It's not like the scene was entirely rewritten to have 18 being evil again just for the sake of forcing an emotion out of the audience even though it's inconsistent with the scene as it was originally & 18's character. We get the scene as it originally was in Japanese, just with Trunks having a different line which still makes sense in context. If the Japanese script had Trunks saying the same thing, or like, "I had to y'know," or something, I doubt there'd be this level of bitching because the sub purists would accept it without question.

There are ways to judge a dub & the Super dub gets judged very unfairly thanks to the Z dub. Sins of the father is definitely in play here, even though the way both dubs are/were handled were very different & in different eras of anime dubbing where the standards were WAY different. Now ANY adlibbing or slight changes are seen as "the new dork age of Dragon Ball," even though that couldn't be further from the truth. I can understand hating the outright bad, stupid, & wrong changes in the Super dub, like "time to make the donuts" & the like, but I don't see the more minor changes as really that bad, especially when they don't fundamentally change the way you view the series. Not all changes are bad just because they're changes is all I was trying to say above, which Forte stated very clearly is what he thinks. The ones that are should be called out, but the little ones are just that; little. They do no harm to the overall product. Hell, Kai had small adlibs here & there & that dub's lauded for simply being a dub like it is for Z's material in anime form, as Z's should've been. Super's dub is almost the same level of quality, yet some people take ANY opportunity to shit on it for the slightest toe being out of line. SOME instances I can understand, but not all of them.
My point exactly, just compare how FUNi was when first producing the old DBZ dub in house with most of their modern dub productions in recent history from the last decade including Z Kai and Super that are a significant improvement. The differences are night and day, and it's true that some of the lines of jokes and self referential humor Forte224 noted from Super are mildly annoying at times, but those are small potatoes compared to the absolutely ridiculous and cringe worthy punched up lines in their Season 3 scripts including such laughably and badly aged, cringe-tastic classics as "Mondo Cool" and "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOOUSE!!!!" so the improvements that they've made in the last 20 years are significant because they don't do that kind of thing to nearly the same extent as back in those days. In terms of production on dubs, they are a country mile from the small company they were back in 1999 when they'd been around a few short years and were only just starting to figure things out.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48 pm
My point exactly, just compare how FUNi was when first producing the old DBZ dub in house and most of their modern dub productions in recent history from the last decade including Z Kai and Super are a significant improvement. The differences are night and day, and it's true that some of the lines of jokes and self referential humor Forte224 noted from Super are mildly annoying at times, but those are small potatoes compared to the absolutely ridiculous and cringe worthy punched up lines in their Season 3 scripts including such laughably and badly aged, cringe-tastic classics as "Mondo Cool" and "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOOUSE!!!!" so the improvements that they've made in the last 20 years are significant because they don't do that kind of thing to nearly the same extent as back in those days. In terms of production on dubs, they are a country mile from the small company they were back in 1999 when they'd been around a few short years and were only just starting to figure things out.
And then there's the fact that they actually take care for the self-referential lines to fit in context of the scenes & not come off as cringy, at least most of the time. I can understand how they can be annoying, but I think a good dash of meta humor every so often is healthy in a show or movie, y'know? Dragon Ball also isn't full action all the time. It's also part comedy. The first half of the original series & manga was a comedy adventure gag manga until the Piccolo Daimao arc, then it got progressively more serious...until the Buu Saga when Toriyama stopped giving a fuck & just went balls-to-the-wall insane with the comedy, which lead to SERIOUS mood whiplash at points with the freely shifting tone & some of the humor not really translating that well culturally. There's a reason the Buu Saga's the most contested out of the 4 arcs in Z & probably the manga too. Super has a more healthy balance of action & comedy, which helps balance everything out. The dub sometimes accentuates the comedy by adding some of its own, or changing the comedy at points, but I see that as the dub team actually caring to make sure jokes land or that the jokes are properly culturally translated. Though, Super's not devoid of mood whiplash either, it's significantly less since the original writers in Japan made sure the mood was right for the scenes. The only place I can think of that has severe mood whiplash is the part in the Future Trunks arc where Goku forgot the seal for the Mafuba. A callback to an earlier point in the original DB series, yes, but not really a good one to make in that moment for the sake of dramatic irony.
The Z dub's changes had barely, if any, thought put into them. The mentality was, "get this shit out the door to CN before our deadline, make it for kids, & do it on the cheap." Which, is actually a similar situation to the 30th anniversary set now that I think about it. The Super dub's changes at least have SOME amount of thought put into them & they're not all over it. I think people also forget that Sabat is also a fan of the franchise &, on top of that, he now watches the shows & movies before dubbing them, as well as dubs material for them in the games long before the English dubs of the shows & movies get done, so he knows the material in & out. Z, he clearly didn't, which he admits to being amateur at the time & not knowing the series that well. Kai's dub benefitted from 10 years of hindsight & Super's benefits from foresight. We've seen this in the few casting changes from Xenoverse 2 alone. So, to outright say this dub is bad based on some script changes is really not giving it its fair shake.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48 pm
My point exactly, just compare how FUNi was when first producing the old DBZ dub in house and most of their modern dub productions in recent history from the last decade including Z Kai and Super are a significant improvement. The differences are night and day, and it's true that some of the lines of jokes and self referential humor Forte224 noted from Super are mildly annoying at times, but those are small potatoes compared to the absolutely ridiculous and cringe worthy punched up lines in their Season 3 scripts including such laughably and badly aged, cringe-tastic classics as "Mondo Cool" and "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOOUSE!!!!" so the improvements that they've made in the last 20 years are significant because they don't do that kind of thing to nearly the same extent as back in those days. In terms of production on dubs, they are a country mile from the small company they were back in 1999 when they'd been around a few short years and were only just starting to figure things out.
And then there's the fact that they actually take care for the self-referential lines to fit in context of the scenes & not come off as cringy, at least most of the time. I can understand how they can be annoying, but I think a good dash of meta humor every so often is healthy in a show or movie, y'know? Dragon Ball also isn't full action all the time. It's also part comedy. The first half of the original series & manga was a comedy adventure gag manga until the Piccolo Daimao arc, then it got progressively more serious...until the Buu Saga when Toriyama stopped giving a fuck & just went balls-to-the-wall insane with the comedy, which lead to SERIOUS mood whiplash at points with the freely shifting tone & some of the humor not really translating that well culturally. There's a reason the Buu Saga's the most contested out of the 4 arcs in Z & probably the manga too. Super has a more healthy balance of action & comedy, which helps balance everything out. The dub sometimes accentuates the comedy by adding some of its own, or changing the comedy at points, but I see that as the dub team actually caring to make sure jokes land or that the jokes are properly culturally translated. Though, Super's not devoid of mood whiplash either, it's significantly less since the original writers in Japan made sure the mood was right for the scenes. The only place I can think of that has severe mood whiplash is the part in the Future Trunks arc where Goku forgot the seal for the Mafuba. A callback to an earlier point int he original DB series, yes, but not really a good one to make in that moment for the sake of dramatic irony.
The Z dub's changes had barely, if any, thought put into them. The mentality was, "get this shit out the door to CN before our deadline, make it for kids, & do it on the cheap." Which, is actually a similar situation to the 30th anniversary set now that I think about it. The Super dub's changes at least have SOME amount of thought put into them & they're not all over it. I think people also forget that Sabat is also a fan of the franchise &, on top of that, he now watches the shows & movies before dubbing them, as well as dubs material for them in the games long before the English dubs of the shows & movies get done, so he knows the material in & out. Z, he clearly didn't, which he admits to being amateur at the time & not knowing the series that well. Kai's dub benefitted from 10 years of hindsight & Super's benefits from foresight. We've seen this in the few casting changes from Xenoverse 2 alone. So, to outright say this dub is bad based on some script changes is really not giving it its fair shake.
Yeah at least the lines have some degree of thought put into them, unlike how it was in the early days of the in house Z dub where they really just entirely re wrote stuff on the fly as they went along with the lines being awkward and not fitting the intention of the scenes. One such example of this i can think of is the exchange Goku and Freeza have while briefly pausing during their battle as in the Japanese version the latter just laughs at Goku's dialogue. The dub on the other hand has him speak some random made up gibberish in his so called "native language" which was one of those that has always stood out to me because it's so obvious to tell with the animation that he's laughing and not speaking at all. I believe that the bits added in Super is not nearly to that level or some of the other total deviations they made to the scripts especially in those earliest parts of the dub. Their recent work in Kai and now Super really shows the strides they have made not only in the performances by the actors (though some can leave a good bit to be desired at times) and the script writers overall as the cast and crew have become much more familiarized with the series and it's ins and outs compared to 20 years ago.

At least with some of those lines you mention there in Super, i can listen to them and not cringe in disgust unlike the Z dub that most of the time never had any lines scripted that didn't sound ridiculously over the top and flat out terrible.

bigray
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by bigray » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:27 pm

I was at a panel with Chris and Sean a week ago and Chris said how they would allow random jokes if he thought it fit with the characters. As long as it didn't mess with the bigger plot of things.

He gave an example from the battle of gods movie but I can't remember what it was

He also mentioned that back in the 90s they never watched the Japanese version so they had nothing to copy, they didn't have the luxury that we have to be able to watch subbed and switch to dub. They were just given a script and had to match the words with the characters mouth.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm
Yeah at least the lines have some degree of thought put into them, unlike how it was in the early days of the in house Z dub where they really just entirely re wrote stuff on the fly as they went along with the lines being awkward and not fitting the intention of the scenes. One such example of this i can think of is the exchange Goku and Freeza have while briefly pausing during their battle as in the Japanese version the latter just laughs at Goku's dialogue. The dub on the other hand has him speak some random made up gibberish in his so called "native language" which was one of those that has always stood out to me because it's so obvious to tell with the animation that he's laughing and not speaking at all. I believe that the bits added in Super is not nearly to that level or some of the other total deviations they made to the scripts especially in those earliest parts of the dub. Their recent work in Kai and now Super really shows the strides they have made not only in the performances by the actors (though some can leave a good bit to be desired at times) and the script writers overall as the cast and crew have become much more familiarized with the series and it's ins and outs compared to 20 years ago.

At least with some of those lines you mention there in Super, i can listen to them and not cringe in disgust unlike the Z dub that most of the time never had any lines scripted that didn't sound ridiculously over the top and flat out terrible.
Which is why I consider the home media & dubs as 2 separate products & they're handled by separate people, which is why I say don't slight the entire company based on one or a few bad products. The 30th anniversary set is separate from the Super dub & is more of an insult than it because the Super dub is still enjoyable to watch, warts & all. The 30th anniversary set is not gonna be enjoyable to watch unless you don't understand how they show's supposed to look. It's being put together by stupid, incompetent idiots who don't understand a goddamn thing about visual fidelity when remastering something & justify extremely poorly why they do the things they do. The Super dub is actually run by competent people who at least understands most of the time what their audience would either find ok, or what they'd like. Hell, Sabat's actually one of the people who WANT to use the broadcast audio for an official home release because he understands audio fidelity. Toei just refuses to use it despite it actually being a good thing if they did. Which leads to a weird thing with FUNi's releases. They're willing to let them fuck with the visuals all they want because money, but NOT use the broadcast audio because they hate money? What? Any studio would be grateful to get those masters. Hell, the BBC is grateful when they find or get high quality masters for old Doctor Who episodes. Toei is almost the BBC of Japan in this regard, so you'd expect they'd be in a similar state. I don't know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm
Yeah at least the lines have some degree of thought put into them, unlike how it was in the early days of the in house Z dub where they really just entirely re wrote stuff on the fly as they went along with the lines being awkward and not fitting the intention of the scenes. One such example of this i can think of is the exchange Goku and Freeza have while briefly pausing during their battle as in the Japanese version the latter just laughs at Goku's dialogue. The dub on the other hand has him speak some random made up gibberish in his so called "native language" which was one of those that has always stood out to me because it's so obvious to tell with the animation that he's laughing and not speaking at all. I believe that the bits added in Super is not nearly to that level or some of the other total deviations they made to the scripts especially in those earliest parts of the dub. Their recent work in Kai and now Super really shows the strides they have made not only in the performances by the actors (though some can leave a good bit to be desired at times) and the script writers overall as the cast and crew have become much more familiarized with the series and it's ins and outs compared to 20 years ago.

At least with some of those lines you mention there in Super, i can listen to them and not cringe in disgust unlike the Z dub that most of the time never had any lines scripted that didn't sound ridiculously over the top and flat out terrible.
Which is why I consider the home media & dubs as 2 separate products & they're handled by separate people, which is why I say don't slight the entire company based on one or a few bad products. The 30th anniversary set is separate from the Super dub & is more of an insult than it because the Super dub is still enjoyable to watch, warts & all. The 30th anniversary set is not gonna be enjoyable to watch unless you don't understand how they show's supposed to look. It's being put together by stupid, incompetent idiots who don't understand a goddamn thing about visual fidelity when remastering something & justify extremely poorly why they do the things they do. The Super dub is actually run by competent people who at least understands most of the time what their audience would either find ok, or what they'd like. Hell, Sabat's actually one of the people who WANT to use the broadcast audio for an official home release because he understands audio fidelity. Toei just refuses to use it despite it actually being a good thing if they did. Which leads to a weird thing with FUNi's releases. They're willing to let them fuck with the visuals all they want because money, but NOT use the broadcast audio because they hate money? What? Any studio would be grateful to get those masters. Hell, the BBC is grateful when they find or get high quality masters for old Doctor Who episodes. Toei is almost the BBC of Japan in this regard, so you'd expect they'd be in a similar state. I don't know.
You got that right, this 30th BD set is a massive waste because it only addresses some of the significant issues with the previous releases (fake 16:9 widescreen.etc) but not the horrible DNR and oversaturation which absolutely ruins the picture and makes it look like a watercolor painting as i have mentioned before, so basically every release they have put out since 2007 minus the Dragon Boxes and Level sets are borderline unwatchable garbage which is why i have been gradually buying the former. To have an actual acceptable release that doesn't completely ruin the look of the show even if they no doubt have flaws like inaccurate colors due to film degradation. The backlash against the set is well deserved because they have screwed up so many times and utterly disappointed a lot of fans who just want to own the show the way it's intended to be seen, and it's just one more for the pile as to why they can't be trusted to make good decisions regarding the series on home video barring the noted few exceptions. It really sucks that even after all of that they can't seem to get their act together in giving the fans a proper untampered release with some real effort involved.

The broadcast audio thing just baffles me, is it that Toei really not give a damn that much? Surely the people there must know that those mono encoded optical back up tracks are vastly inferior in terms of sound quality but for whatever reason they just don't want to include them. I mean obviously they don't have all of the master audio tapes for the original Dragon Ball or Z since they apparently junked them at some point after both had run their course on tv, but in fact do for GT as evidenced by past and present re runs on in Japan yet didn't use them for the Dragon Box or individual single disc releases. Though even when some fans have unearthed them from original recordings of the show on VHS or even Betamax in some cases they won't budge even when you'd think that something as significant as that would warrant their attention and they would embrace these noble efforts by those people who care so much. Toei is quite a backwards company in more ways than one, and this is but one of the more notable things in relation to the series and their overall treatment of it. I don't get why they would be so against FUNi using the original audio trains for releases here when they don't even bother including it themselves.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2834
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by coola » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:19 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:46 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48 pm
My point exactly, just compare how FUNi was when first producing the old DBZ dub in house and most of their modern dub productions in recent history from the last decade including Z Kai and Super are a significant improvement. The differences are night and day, and it's true that some of the lines of jokes and self referential humor Forte224 noted from Super are mildly annoying at times, but those are small potatoes compared to the absolutely ridiculous and cringe worthy punched up lines in their Season 3 scripts including such laughably and badly aged, cringe-tastic classics as "Mondo Cool" and "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOOUSE!!!!" so the improvements that they've made in the last 20 years are significant because they don't do that kind of thing to nearly the same extent as back in those days. In terms of production on dubs, they are a country mile from the small company they were back in 1999 when they'd been around a few short years and were only just starting to figure things out.
And then there's the fact that they actually take care for the self-referential lines to fit in context of the scenes & not come off as cringy, at least most of the time. I can understand how they can be annoying, but I think a good dash of meta humor every so often is healthy in a show or movie, y'know? Dragon Ball also isn't full action all the time. It's also part comedy. The first half of the original series & manga was a comedy adventure gag manga until the Piccolo Daimao arc, then it got progressively more serious...until the Buu Saga when Toriyama stopped giving a fuck & just went balls-to-the-wall insane with the comedy, which lead to SERIOUS mood whiplash at points with the freely shifting tone & some of the humor not really translating that well culturally. There's a reason the Buu Saga's the most contested out of the 4 arcs in Z & probably the manga too. Super has a more healthy balance of action & comedy, which helps balance everything out. The dub sometimes accentuates the comedy by adding some of its own, or changing the comedy at points, but I see that as the dub team actually caring to make sure jokes land or that the jokes are properly culturally translated. Though, Super's not devoid of mood whiplash either, it's significantly less since the original writers in Japan made sure the mood was right for the scenes. The only place I can think of that has severe mood whiplash is the part in the Future Trunks arc where Goku forgot the seal for the Mafuba. A callback to an earlier point int he original DB series, yes, but not really a good one to make in that moment for the sake of dramatic irony.
The Z dub's changes had barely, if any, thought put into them. The mentality was, "get this shit out the door to CN before our deadline, make it for kids, & do it on the cheap." Which, is actually a similar situation to the 30th anniversary set now that I think about it. The Super dub's changes at least have SOME amount of thought put into them & they're not all over it. I think people also forget that Sabat is also a fan of the franchise &, on top of that, he now watches the shows & movies before dubbing them, as well as dubs material for them in the games long before the English dubs of the shows & movies get done, so he knows the material in & out. Z, he clearly didn't, which he admits to being amateur at the time & not knowing the series that well. Kai's dub benefitted from 10 years of hindsight & Super's benefits from foresight. We've seen this in the few casting changes from Xenoverse 2 alone. So, to outright say this dub is bad based on some script changes is really not giving it its fair shake.
Yeah at least the lines have some degree of thought put into them, unlike how it was in the early days of the in house Z dub where they really just entirely re wrote stuff on the fly as they went along with the lines being awkward and not fitting the intention of the scenes. One such example of this i can think of is the exchange Goku and Freeza have while briefly pausing during their battle as in the Japanese version the latter just laughs at Goku's dialogue. The dub on the other hand has him speak some random made up gibberish in his so called "native language" which was one of those that has always stood out to me because it's so obvious to tell with the animation that he's laughing and not speaking at all. I believe that the bits added in Super is not nearly to that level or some of the other total deviations they made to the scripts especially in those earliest parts of the dub. Their recent work in Kai and now Super really shows the strides they have made not only in the performances by the actors (though some can leave a good bit to be desired at times) and the script writers overall as the cast and crew have become much more familiarized with the series and it's ins and outs compared to 20 years ago.

At least with some of those lines you mention there in Super, i can listen to them and not cringe in disgust unlike the Z dub that most of the time never had any lines scripted that didn't sound ridiculously over the top and flat out terrible.
I remember back when Kai aired with dub, and while Saiyan/Freeza saga was great, in Cel Saga we had duds like "Dude, my car" and "Hey, Future Trunks" with was especially jarring with earlier dub being that good. Then again, Chris Sabat wife was pregnant, plus we had whole Yamamoto plagiarism scandal, with probably tired some of staff.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:33 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am
some new footage, this time with Buu-arc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJqNSNp4Ao
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
So I guess this is where we're at now. Funimation is just going forward with this, ignoring all the complaints and criticism, just acting like there's nothing wrong and everything is fine.

I can live with this remaster personally, I've seen worse (and I don't mean with DBZ), but seeing how Funimation has been dealing with this situation is appalling at best.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:33 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:33 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am
some new footage, this time with Buu-arc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJqNSNp4Ao
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
So I guess this is where we're at now. Funimation is just going forward with this, ignoring all the complaints and criticism, just acting like there's nothing wrong and everything is fine.

I can live with this remaster personally, I've seen worse (and I don't mean with DBZ), but seeing how Funimation has been dealing with this situation is appalling at best.
Yeah, really sucks doesn't it? Then again i've seen their multiple instances of dropping the ball on the treatment of the series before and not taking fans' complaints to heart so it's no real surprise or shock to me personally, because quite simply it's par for the course with the other poor attempts FUNi's made at in house remasters. I really am not too disappointed about this fail because i have my Dragon Boxes and cherish them immensely as my definitive way of owning the series, though you can't help but just shake your head because they've blown another golden opportunity to finally put out a good high definition remaster on the scale of the Level sets or even better. It's a poor product as the screenshots and other things clearly show, but given what's gone down before a small part of me really didn't have my expectations too high that they'd do it right this time. True, it's not nearly as horrible looking video wise as the Orange Bricks and Season BD's not to mention being 4:3 rather than fake cropped widescreen as the latter two were. The set even with that positive aspect still falls far short of being even remotely close to the great quality of the aforementioned releases above.

Post Reply