Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Zinnia wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:23 pm So do you think DBS Broly will have a different VA in FighterZ now? Looking forward to it, as I didn't like Magnagna's take on him. It felt lazy and unispired, especially recently.
If Funi didn't already have his lines recorded, I can see them doing two things:
  1. Using a sound-a-like for the job like it's 1999 again
  2. Using audio clips recorded for the movie itself.
I think the second one might actually be more plausible considering that lip flaps are not heeded AT ALL in FighterZ (and I kinda wish they did it more often!).

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:42 pm

^ They have never once reused voice clips directly from the anime in the games, to my knowledge, so the idea of them reusing movie dialog is literally 0% likely. Even Sagas, which lifted scenes directly from the anime had only new dialog there. Assuming they hadn't recorded Broly yet, it is certain that we will heart he new voice.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:21 pm

No one's shared any highlights from the transcript? Here are two of my personal favorites:

Hysterical as the live-tweets were, merely witnessing conspiracy/TI suits get dropped against Marchi within ten seconds of each other flailing had me in a fit. Give Dunford's threads a read if you haven't already.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am

Reading some of this stuff makes me glad that I unfollowed a guy who's a Vic stan who had an account here on this site. I didn't expect him to be so gullible to believe the crap Blackface Lawyer is saying. It's funny, he's a black guy, but thinks Rekieta is a honest and humble person who says the truth and is not bigoted. He was a cool guy to talk to, but he's seriously gullible. And besides, I have a hard time believing some of the stuff he's said, like apparently being a big fan of Brad Swaile, when he basically complains about him using the same voice and yet he gives Johnny Yong Bosch a pass on always using the same voice because he's a big devotee of the guy.

It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:41 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
We've been saying this from the start:
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:26 pm GamerGate was the natural extension of the internet's underbelly that continues to trick (primarily) young boys into a constant state of confusion and anger. Support for Vic is the multi-generational extension of that. These people do not care about Dragon Ball, they do not care about anime, they do not care about voice acting, etc.

It's the exact same playbook over and over and over. Do not be taken in by it, and do not be complicit in it.
Props to those who've been able to get over that hurdle and see through it, and props to those taking the very difficult leap to cut others out of their lives that prove themselves unable (or unwilling) to do so.

There are people that genuinely care about the franchise, that genuinely care about the domestic and international industries, that genuinely care about voice acting, and that genuinely care about other people. You're among them here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:33 am

#KickVic is first and foremost a movement about removing sexual predators from fandom safe spaces and exposing them for their crimes. It upsets me that the movement has developed a sort of artificial push-back from unrelated parties jumping in to troll and cause mayhem all in the name of 'owning the ess-jay-double-yous'. It really goes to show just how little maturity there is in the fandom.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:36 pm
Zinnia wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:23 pm So do you think DBS Broly will have a different VA in FighterZ now? Looking forward to it, as I didn't like Magnagna's take on him. It felt lazy and unispired, especially recently.
If Funi didn't already have his lines recorded, I can see them doing two things:
  1. Using a sound-a-like for the job like it's 1999 again
  2. Using audio clips recorded for the movie itself.
I think the second one might actually be more plausible considering that lip flaps are not heeded AT ALL in FighterZ (and I kinda wish they did it more often!).
Most likely they'll get a new casting (spoilers for the end of the new Broly movie: I don't think this is the last we'll ever see of Broly. Whether or not he appears in a video game first, Funi will need a new Broly casting from now on), and chances are that new casting will essentially be a soundalike. And honestly, I think that would be the case even if all this had happened before the new movie. Funi are usually deathly afraid of changing these things, so this was always the most likely scenario for a Broly recasting.
Aside from Freeza, you'll notice looking at Funi's recastings, they always are essentially soundalikes, or at least very similar to the previous voice(s). Brice Armstrong's Captain Ginyu was basically a much closer soundalike to Richard Newman's than Dale Kelly's was, and the guy who replaced him was essentially a soundalike to him, Monica Rial and Colleen Clinkenbeard sound very similar to the previous takes on Bulma and Gohan, the new Ginyu Force castings all sound like basically the same kind of voices they've had since the original Ocean castings, etc. etc.

So, the new Broly will almost certainly sound like Mignogna. May not be a perfect soundalike, but they'll at least want to take the same approach as their 1999 full cast replacement; to quote Chris Sabat, "I was a pretty good mimic, to try and mimic these Canadian cast members; what they didn't want were people tuning in after the break and finding out that the characters sounded dramatically different. They wanted them to sound as close to the Canadian versions as possible."
Naturally, as was the case with the 1999 cast members, there's always the chance the new actor will develop their take and change it over time (in fact, I'd be surprised if an actor played any role for more than a few years and didn't change a little over that time period), but the initial casting will probably sound like the Broly the existing dub-fans will be familiar with.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Dunno about that, that was 20 years ago. More recent recasts ala Kai have done no such thing. Ayres, Rial and Clinkenbeard sound nothing like their predecessors and are all the better for it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm Dunno about that, that was 20 years ago. More recent recasts ala Kai have done no such thing. Ayres, Rial and Clinkenbeard sound nothing like their predecessors and are all the better for it.
Except when Clinkenbeard is doing Kid Goku, of course.

Jokes aside, Rial did intentionally lean towards her predecessor for the start of Kai before evolving it into her own take, to maintain a bit of continuity.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 pm
Shaddy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm Dunno about that, that was 20 years ago. More recent recasts ala Kai have done no such thing. Ayres, Rial and Clinkenbeard sound nothing like their predecessors and are all the better for it.
Except when Clinkenbeard is doing Kid Goku, of course.

Jokes aside, Rial did intentionally lean towards her predecessor for the start of Kai before evolving it into her own take, to maintain a bit of continuity.

Maybe she intentionally did, but she honestly sounded nothing like Vollmer in early Kai

And that’s a good thing.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 pm

I love Robo, but I think he's too focused on the past mistakes Funimation has made to see that they are somewhat different now. After all, Chris Ayers isnt a sound alike, is he? Sure, he did REPLACED with a Sound Alike but that's most because they had to make sure the transition was smooth while Ayers healed from his illness.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 pm I love Robo, but I think he's too focused on the past mistakes Funimation has made to see that they are somewhat different now. After all, Chris Ayers isnt a sound alike, is he? Sure, he did REPLACED with a Sound Alike but that's most because they had to make sure the transition was smooth while Ayers healed from his illness.
I'm sure he felt that way, but then Black Brick JUST happened and it's like 2007 all over again.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 pm Maybe she intentionally did, but she honestly sounded nothing like Vollmer in early Kai

And that’s a good thing.
I've probably mentioned this before elsewhere to you, but I think both suit the stages Bullma is at for their respective parts of the story. Bulma's a teen in DB and a grown woman in DBZ (arguably the Piccolo Jr. Arc), so having a more mature voice works out really well and is easily explained by the timeskip. I feel Vollmer starts feeling a bit off once Bulma starts getting particularly mature for things like the Buu arc, GT and History of Trunks.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 am

What is a Black Brick? Are you talking about the Home Video release? I never talked about those, so they are irrelevant to my argument. Sure Funimation hasnt changed much in that way. But they certainly have come an extremely long way with how they cast and voice direct.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 am What is a Black Brick? Are you talking about the Home Video release? I never talked about those, so they are irrelevant to my argument. Sure Funimation hasnt changed much in that way. But they certainly have come an extremely long way with how they cast and voice direct.
I mean I personally agree, but I'm sure Robo feels differently.

(the Black Bricks are the 30th Blu-Rays that are basically the old Blu-Rays uncropped yet with all the other flaws still applied)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 am

Um...I know he does, I disagreed with him. I'm glad you agree with me...or am I misunderstanding?

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:15 am

Remember how Vic stans were brigading Judge Chupp's Facebook page? He ain't taking kindly to the death threats, and so he ordered the lawyers on both sides to conduct mediation. As I'm understanding it, it's the judge's last chance for Vic to save face and privately settle with the defendants; otherwise, Chupp nukes the case and Vic receives the full brunt of sanctions.

Of course, while Marchi isn't obligated to attend since her relevant suits were dismissed, that doesn't stop certain grifters from manipulating their audiences.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Oh yes they are, Nick. Yes they are:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 00736?s=20

Only question is, "will Vic be smart enough to take any deals the client offers?"
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 pm

Hard to tell what he's thinking anymore. If he thinks this big 'culture war' fuss on social media will eventually wear down the other side until they settle with something that tries to make his reputation sound slightly better, or he's just given all decision-making to Ty Beard and co. who promised they'd win the lawsuit and he believes that.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:06 pm

It is kind of disappointing that just threw out a lot of the case. It seemed to me that he just didn't want to be there or want to listen to anything going on.

Such a shame to court systems is where truth is supposed to come to light, right? oh well maybe they can get something thru an appeal or a judge that gives a damn.

rather hear the turth and Vic lose than stuff just being thrown out