Manga Logo Catalogue

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Manga Logo Catalogue

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Okay, sorry for the double-post but I need a bit of assistance. In the 2016 Forbes interview with Kazuhiko Torishima, he says the following:
The new anime producer also was very smart and said that if we had a new title, in that Dragon Ball would finish and we'd start a new show, then that meant the anime would get more money for promotion.
Does anyone know who exactly this new producer was and when he was hired? It would give an idea as to when exactly, during the Dragon Ball anime, they started the process of starting the Z rebrand, which is not only great for historical reasons, but also for putting an approximate date on this important transition's beginning.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Few notes on the Dragon ball Super section

1. The Dragon Ball Super Logo that you have used is not official. It is a fan-render.

2. The main Dragon Ball Super Logo, the one with the Kanji on it, has a gradient variation similar to BoG and RF, and a fully-2D version like the Z Anime Logo.

3. The logo for the Dragon Ball Super Manga that you have used is only used on the Viz print of the Manga currently. The rest of the world, along with the original release of Chapters 1-9 on viz.com, as seen there and the Kanzenshuu Manga Guide. I remember it was also seen in some Super promo material from 2016.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:31 pm

simtek34 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 pm Few notes on the Dragon ball Super section

1. The Dragon Ball Super Logo that you have used is not official. It is a fan-render.

2. The main Dragon Ball Super Logo, the one with the Kanji on it, has a gradient variation similar to BoG and RF, and a fully-2D version like the Z Anime Logo.

3. The logo for the Dragon Ball Super Manga that you have used is only used on the Viz print of the Manga currently. The rest of the world, along with the original release of Chapters 1-9 on viz.com, as seen there and the Kanzenshuu Manga Guide. I remember it was also seen in some Super promo material from 2016.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll make those changes right away, although I'll note the flat version rather than make it a unique image. I'll also move the ViZ Super Manga logo as well, since the date it was first used puts it after three other logos!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:18 am

UGH, okay I know, I know, another double-post. I can't leave well enough alone, and I decided to go back in and revise a bunch of the logos that were too small, including the Tankobon re-issues, Zenkai Battle Royale, the movie poster logo for Evolution, and more.

I also added the logo for Dragon Ball -, and it led me to a fascinating revelation! The DB- logo happens to use the EXACT SAME FONT that was used in the Chapter 307 where Toriyama originally slipped in his Bardock cameo! Is this a coincidence, or entirely intentional??

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Fantastic work, KBABZ! I've been interested in this subject for a few years now, but I've never really had the eye for it. So kudos to you for a fantastic and thorough breakdown. I nominate this thread for inclusion in the Kanzenshuu-Approved Community Posts of Information Awesomeness & Importance thread.

I think I can contribute just a bit. Here are some old images I have from Weekly Shonen Jump 1984 issues #50 & #51 (Dragon Ball's debut was in issue #51). I suppose it was the WSJ staff and not Toriyama that supplied these logos (though I have to wonder about the one with circles in the 'A's) but all the same they're part of Dragon Ball's history so I wanted to mention them.

WSJ 1984 #50 - 1, 2
WSJ 1984 #51 - 1

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Tyro wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm Fantastic work, KBABZ! I've been interested in this subject for a few years now, but I've never really had the eye for it. So kudos to you for a fantastic and thorough breakdown. I nominate this thread for inclusion in the Kanzenshuu-Approved Community Posts of Information Awesomeness & Importance thread.
Thank you! And ooo, I've never heard of that thread!
Tyro wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm I think I can contribute just a bit. Here are some old images I have from Weekly Shonen Jump 1984 issues #50 & #51 (Dragon Ball's debut was in issue #51). I suppose it was the WSJ staff and not Toriyama that supplied these logos (though I have to wonder about the one with circles in the 'A's) but all the same they're part of Dragon Ball's history so I wanted to mention them.

WSJ 1984 #50 - 1, 2
WSJ 1984 #51 - 1
Interesting! These would be placed between the "Shuffled" and "Shenlong Straight" logos at the start. The first and third are the Eurostile logo again, and the second is of course original. Is there a way to get a better scan of the "Circle As" logo?

Also, where'd that artwork come from?? I've never seen that before, even in Daizenshuu #1 and Dragon Ball: A Visual History! Why would these not be included??

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm

KBABZ wrote:Thank you! And ooo, I've never heard of that thread!
It's one of the stickies. :wink:
KBABZ wrote:Is there a way to get a better scan of the "Circle As" logo?
Unfortunately I don't own any physical copies to scan. I just have a few images that I found some time ago. There's probably a better one out there somewhere.
KBABZ wrote:Also, where'd that artwork come from?? I've never seen that before, even in Daizenshuu #1 and Dragon Ball: A Visual History! Why would these not be included??
That would be from Toriyama himself. And yeah, unfortunately raws of those early illustrations as well as a dozen or more special illustrations have been lost to time and never made their way into Daizenshuu #1 or the Chogashuu. It's nice to have them in some form or another but it's a real shame that we'll never see them unobstructed on high quality paper like the others.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Tyro wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm
KBABZ wrote:Is there a way to get a better scan of the "Circle As" logo?
Unfortunately I don't own any physical copies to scan. I just have a few images that I found some time ago. There's probably a better one out there somewhere.
Ah okay. Well, I've cropped it and added it. I've also done another trawl through the gallery to fix mistakes and whatnot. AND I replaced the Path to Power logo with a screengrab from the Amazon HD upload (thanks Robo!) to replace the TINY one I got from the film's poster.
Tyro wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm
KBABZ wrote:Also, where'd that artwork come from?? I've never seen that before, even in Daizenshuu #1 and Dragon Ball: A Visual History! Why would these not be included??
That would be from Toriyama himself. And yeah, unfortunately raws of those early illustrations as well as a dozen or more special illustrations have been lost to time and never made their way into Daizenshuu #1 or the Chogashuu. It's nice to have them in some form or another but it's a real shame that we'll never see them unobstructed on high quality paper like the others.
Darn that sucks. Toriyama did really great pieces of Bulma back then.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:33 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm Does anyone know who exactly this new producer was and when he was hired? It would give an idea as to when exactly, during the Dragon Ball anime, they started the process of starting the Z rebrand, which is not only great for historical reasons, but also for putting an approximate date on this important transition's beginning.
Well, first I wanted to say you did an awesome job compiling all of these logos. Thank you! When Dragon Ball took on a new producer, Morishita Kouzou, he was first billed in episode 132, which was the last episode before the 23rd Budoukai began. I'm not sure exactly when he would have been hired. But given that the Forbes interview says Torishima's last straw was the death of Piccolo, which was in 122, it had to have occurred at some point between August 10 and November 2, 1988. It's also worth noting that, at the exact same time, Koyama Takao was added to the crew under the title of "series composition," a role that Dragon Ball had never credited before. He went on to receive script credit for all of the Dragon Ball Z movies of the original run.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:33 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm Does anyone know who exactly this new producer was and when he was hired? It would give an idea as to when exactly, during the Dragon Ball anime, they started the process of starting the Z rebrand, which is not only great for historical reasons, but also for putting an approximate date on this important transition's beginning.
Well, first I wanted to say you did an awesome job compiling all of these logos. Thank you! When Dragon Ball took on a new producer, Morishita Kouzou, he was first billed in episode 132, which was the last episode before the 23rd Budoukai began. I'm not sure exactly when he would have been hired. But given that the Forbes interview says Torishima's last straw was the death of Piccolo, which was in 122, it had to have occurred at some point between August 10 and November 2, 1988. It's also worth noting that, at the exact same time, Koyama Takao was added to the crew under the title of "series composition," a role that Dragon Ball had never credited before. He went on to receive script credit for all of the Dragon Ball Z movies of the original run.
Hmm... still makes it difficult to try and pin when they would have first used the logo for promotion and stuff I guess... I think just "1989" would work as a general date for the Z logo, yes?

Speaking of which, I did another minor description update when I spotted that the Laserdisc covers for the classic films swap the red and yellow around... resulting in a YELLOW Z! It's so weird! Oh and I've updated the DB and DBZ anime logos with HD versions from DBM3 and the Level Sets, respectively (thanks again Robo!).

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 pm

I noticed in the imgur album you described the "circle-crossbar-A's" logo as first appearing in WSJ 1984 #51, but it was #50.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Tyro wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 pm I noticed in the imgur album you described the "circle-crossbar-A's" logo as first appearing in WSJ 1984 #51, but it was #50.
Oops, thank you.