The biggest Ocean dub crime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:06 am

desirecampbell wrote:Is that dubbed by Ocean? I thought there was a separate 'Blue Water' dubbing group that did "international" DBZ, 'Blue Water' did the "international" dub for GT.
I might be wrong, but wasn't Blue Water like the equivalent of Funimation, but they handled the rest of the world. And after the Ocean cast had left Funimation, Blue Water decided to stay consistent with the dub by using the Ocean cast.

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am

Ocean dub's biggest dub crime has to be their awful fanbase, never in all of my life have I seen such rude and idiotic fanboy indivisuals who go around spamming the HFIL out of someones video if it's done by Funimation.

Even worse yesterday those idiotic Ocean dub fanboys got Funimations youtube account suspended, I mean really youtube listens to these simian half whits but not Funimation themself eventhough Funimation were in the right to delete their videos because they were using Funimations media without their permission.

But atleast it's good to know that many Ocean dub accounts on youtube have been suspended and it's only a matter of time till they all get suspended and Funimations dub will reign superior once again.
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:35 am

PrincessVegeta wrote:Ocean dub's biggest dub crime has to be their awful fanbase, never in all of my life have I seen such rude and idiotic fanboy indivisuals who go around spamming the HFIL out of someones video if it's done by Funimation.
I second that.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:39 am

PrincessVegeta wrote: The intarwebz biggest crime has to be their awful fanbase, never in all of my life have I seen such rude and idiotic fanboy indivisuals who go around spamming the HFIL out of someones video if it's done by anyone.
Fixed.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:40 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
PrincessVegeta wrote: The intarweb'z biggest crime has to be their awful fanbase; Never in all of my life have I seen such rude and idiotic fanboy individuals who go around spamming the hell out of someone's video if it's done by anyone.
Fixed.
Double-fixed.

:D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:24 am

Kid Trunks wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Is that dubbed by Ocean? I thought there was a separate 'Blue Water' dubbing group that did "international" DBZ, 'Blue Water' did the "international" dub for GT.
I might be wrong, but wasn't Blue Water like the equivalent of Funimation, but they handled the rest of the world. And after the Ocean cast had left Funimation, Blue Water decided to stay consistent with the dub by using the Ocean cast.
No. Blue Water is one of the few studios from (the dubbing / sound studio company) "Ocean Group". Ocean Group has few studios in Vancouver (like "Ocean Studios") and then "Blue Water" in Calgary.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 pm

As Timo says Bluewater is part of the Ocean group, after a quick google I discovered he cast lists are on Wikipedia DBZ and GT entries.
Also a dubbing studio has no control of it's fans, at best you can perhaps lay some blame on PR guys setting the tone but since the dub was aimed at TV channels rather than directly to fans it's not really their fault.
If you must generalise allow for the fact these people were probably only just becoming aware of anime,and the people who work in the industry.

Thinking about it my biggest down point with the Ocean dub is that they pretty much continued on a similar path to FUNimation era for a long time. It's the Blue water dub that did things differently but I think largely because weirdly commissioning music and making edits takes money.

And to be honest if you're the kind of fan who considers anything a dub does in any language a crime, the DVD track has Japanese sub options for a good reason.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Azure wrote: Also a dubbing studio has no control of it's fans, at best you can perhaps lay some blame on PR guys setting the tone but since the dub was aimed at TV channels rather than directly to fans it's not really their fault.
I don't think she was actually blaming Ocean for some of their more agressive fans, but it was just a way of saying that those particular fans are an unfortunate consequence of the dub.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:20 pm

PrincessVegeta wrote:Ocean dub's biggest dub crime has to be their awful fanbase, never in all of my life have I seen such rude and idiotic fanboy indivisuals who go around spamming the HFIL out of someones video if it's done by Funimation.
Yeah, and kids who grew up on FUNi's stuff who have no real attachment to Ocean (i.e. 90% of everyone I've ever met who has ever watched Dragonball Z more than twice) does the same stuff to videos with the Ocean voices being all like "kris suhbaat iz so mcuh beter az guko!!!!"
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:05 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Yeah, and kids who grew up on FUNi's stuff who have no real attachment to Ocean (i.e. 90% of everyone I've ever met who has ever watched Dragonball Z more than twice) does the same stuff to videos with the Ocean voices being all like "kris suhbaat iz so mcuh beter az guko!!!!"
Do the Mexicans and Spaniards do this to each others' respective Spanish dubs?... because that would just be a brilliant comparison...

Oh internet, how I love you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Do the Mexicans and Spaniards do this to each others' respective Spanish dubs?... because that would just be a brilliant comparison...

Oh internet, how I love you.
That would, actually, be an interesting topic for the podcast. *hinthint*
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Corson D. Burly

Post by Corson D. Burly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Kendamu wrote:Biggest Ocean cast crime? Not being present after Season 2 in the US dub.
Ha! Priceless.

I agree, by the way.
I wish I could remember the password to my old account...

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 am

Haha wow, are you serious?

I have never seen anywhere near the amount of idiocy and illiterate e-behavior come from Ocean fans that I have from disgruntled FUNimation fans. Which makes sense, because, you know, there are far more fans of the FUNi dub out there, what with the United States being a huge country and all.

Let me guess, you're the angry FUNi fan who posted, "Go suck all your little Ocean buddies dicks and shut the fuck up before I get an angry mob and murder your little bitch ass" as a response to the suspension of FUNimation's youtube channel?

The internet sure is fun.
PrincessVegeta wrote:Even worse yesterday those idiotic Ocean dub fanboys got Funimations youtube account suspended, I mean really youtube listens to these simian half whits but not Funimation themself eventhough Funimation were in the right to delete their videos because they were using Funimations media without their permission.
FUNimation has no claim over the rights to the later Ocean dub by Westwood Media (which is the actual name of the production company, not AB Groupe as has been stated throughout this thread; AB Groupe is the distributor of the show in Europe while Westwood Media is the Canadian company that actually produced the dub). They may have sold the rights to their edited video tracks and scripts to Westwood so that Westwood could save time by not having to buy new video from Toei themselves, but nothing has ever even hinted towards the idea that FUNi holds any sort of co-ownership over the Canadian/European dub.
PrincessVegeta wrote:But atleast it's good to know that many Ocean dub accounts on youtube have been suspended and it's only a matter of time till they all get suspended and Funimations dub will reign superior once again.

Go outside.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:11 am

Why the hell must nigh-every Dragon Ball Z fan belittle everyone else's opinions? It sickens me dearly and it give the fanbase a bad reputation. I am always seeing hateful remarks on sites such as Youtube for example where FUNimation and Ocean dub fans constantly bash each other and act as though their opinions are facts. There are also the crowd that insult the original Japanese version as I posted a while back in this very thread.

And somehow I knew this was bound to work it's way into this thread...
Some people... :roll:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Why the hell must nigh-every Dragon Ball Z fan belittle everyone else's opinions? It sickens me dearly and it give the fanbase a bad reputation. I am always seeing hateful remarks on sites such as Youtube for example where FUNimation and Ocean dub fans constantly bash each other and act as though their opinions are facts. There are also the crowd that insult the original Japanese version as I posted a while back in this very thread.

And somehow I knew this was bound to happen into this thread...
Most of youtube itself is cluttered with stupid/racist/homophobic/otherwise derogatory remarks. It's not just the DBZ videos. Look at any videos posted by openly gay people on youtube for example; some of the comments by other youtube members are just appalling.

But even so, realize that most of these comments are coming from stupid 13-year-olds or socially inept 20-year-olds. There's really no point in taking these things seriously because it's just the nature of the internet, where people insult/slander eachother anonymously simply because they know they can.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:26 am

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: But even so, realize that most of these comments are coming from stupid 13-year-olds or socially inept 20-year-olds. There's really no point in taking these things seriously because it's just the nature of the internet, where people insult/slander eachother anonymously simply because they know they can.
Eh, I suppose your right. I mean, I was at Nintendo's forum (before they shut down) and there were people there bashing Nintendo, and I almost got banned because of them and their insults, which makes no sense at all...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:35 am

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:
Let me guess, you're the angry FUNi fan who posted, "Go suck all your little Ocean buddies dicks and shut the fuck up before I get an angry mob and murder your little bitch ass" as a response to the suspension of FUNimation's youtube channel?
It's stuff like that, that makes forums like this seem like heaven.

Anyways, on-topic; biggest Ocean dub crime? Calling Goku's father a super great scientist comes to mind.

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:59 am

IMO, both fan bases should just learn that both versions are horribly flawed, both full of problems that make them only 30-44% of how they actually should have turned out, and both fan bases should accept the fact that both are a matter of taste.

They have things in common, be it the horrible scripts which were written for 9 year olds, the wonderful video sources both used which were mangled by the smart people at FUNimation, and you got the BGM which are horribly flawed in both dubs.

Biggest Ocean Dub Crime? FUNimation
"Nobody's Real............"

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Why the hell must nigh-every Dragon Ball Z fan belittle everyone else's opinions? It sickens me dearly and it give the fanbase a bad reputation. I am always seeing hateful remarks on sites such as Youtube for example where FUNimation and Ocean dub fans constantly bash each other and act as though their opinions are facts. There are also the crowd that insult the original Japanese version as I posted a while back in this very thread.

And somehow I knew this was bound to work it's way into this thread...
The worst thing in the world you could do to yourself when on Youtube is scroll down. Just don't do it! It isn't worth it!

If it's an in-house FUNi clip, Ocean fans spam about the Drummond days. If it's an Ocean clip (FUNi or after), FUNi fans come in and start hollering about the sanctity of Sabat. If it's a Japanese clip, dub fans in general swoop in with how "girly" Goku's voice is and how much they love Faulconer. And of course, this brings out defenders, and the whole thing just degenerates.
One time this guy picked a fight with me in the comments about my (and the entire english-speaking fanbase's) spelling of Piccolo. "The man's name is Pikkoro, everyone else spells it that way except you Americans."
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:48 am

dagame10k wrote:IMO, both fan bases should just learn that both versions are horribly flawed, both full of problems that make them only 30-44% of how they actually should have turned out, and both fan bases should accept the fact that both are a matter of taste.

They have things in common, be it the horrible scripts which were written for 9 year olds, the wonderful video sources both used which were mangled by the smart people at FUNimation, and you got the BGM which are horribly flawed in both dubs.

Biggest Ocean Dub Crime? FUNimation
So well put!