Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 16 - DB episodes 71-75

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 16 - DB episodes 71-75 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:15 pm Was the Blue Water dub working off French translations? I know the Canadian only opening was a really really awkward English translation of the already cheesy and saccharine French opening but I thought that was the extent of it? I was under the impression they working off a combination of Funimation’s scripts and direct translations from the Japanese scripts.
IDK about the translations of the scripts (I can't speak any language but English), but I suspect that for the second half of the series, some of the episode titles might be translated versions of the French episode titles. Ep 123 "The Search For The Magic Stick" is a dead giveaway. For one thing, the French episode title is translated into English (by Google Translate) as "In search of the magic stick". Also, there was the matter of Nyoibo/Power Pole being (in)famously translated into "Magic Stick" in the Big Green dub of DBZ Movie 2. (The English translation of the Japanese episode title according to Wikipedia and the Funimation episode title respectively are "The Nyoibō's Secret" and "Lost and Found")
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:02 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:15 pm Was the Blue Water dub working off French translations? I know the Canadian only opening was a really really awkward English translation of the already cheesy and saccharine French opening but I thought that was the extent of it? I was under the impression they working off a combination of Funimation’s scripts and direct translations from the Japanese scripts.
Your impression is the impression I've had too. Though it's worth noting that at least one episode, they outright junked Funi's scripts and wrote their own translation of the Japanese script, comparable to the scripts Blue Water had written for GT.

But, it is also true that they were working off of French production materials, so it's possible they borrowed some things from the French dub for DB. Perhaps one or two script adaptors would reference the French version, since an understanding of French is quite common in Canada, and the French audio track is right there.
It's clear they had proper translations to work off of, but it's also clear they were more interested in writing good scripts for their actors to work off of than achieving perfect accuracy in those scripts, so... It would make sense that an adaptor would hear something like that and think "Ooh, I might use that."
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:56 am
  • Speaking of anecdotal accounts about the dubs, the way the two known* English dubs censored the Bulma flash scene on TV has been described rather interestingly; in Funimation's TV dub, apparently they use stock footage of Roshi opening the can of beer from movie 2 and change dialogue to say Kuririn's strategy is to fetch a can of tomato soup from Roshi's house, and pour it all over Mr Invisible. Blue Water's dub apparently just cut the frames where you can see her boobs, but otherwise left the scene intact.
    However, no one seems to have footage of either of these to prove either anecdote, so take these both with a pinch of salt.
The tomato soup edit, I remember that being talked about as far back as when the episodes were still airing on Toonami. Back when the Toonami version was the default version most people had seen and the breast expose scene was the “elusive uncensored scene only people who bought the dvds knew about”

Here’s a forum in 2003 talking about the scene in question https://animesuperhero.com/forums/threa ... t.3520221/

[*]Devil Man makes some references to Hell in his original dialogue; the English dubs censor this out completely, even in Funimation's "Uncut” version.
In fact, I’m pretty sure it took until Kai for Funimation to finally use the word hell. Even in the Goku goes to hell episode in Z they refer to it as the place of no return and “down below”

As far as these episodes go I like that Yamucha is easily the sacrificial lamb to show how tough the opponent it is, but here it’s Kuririn and Yamucha gets to defeat at least one opponent.

The Devil’s Toilet was a cool battleground.

Devilman’s devilmite beam was an interesting technique . Kind of want to see how it would fare against far stronger opponents like Freeza or Dabra.
The UUE, uncut GT, and Fusion Reborn all said hell on more than one occasion.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Is there is a specific example of when they used the word hell in the ultimate uncut version. I’ve watched up to the first 20 episodes recently and the word hell hasn’t been uttered once even when Goku’s actually in hell.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:20 pm Is there is a specific example of when they used the word hell in the ultimate uncut version. I’ve watched up to the first 20 episodes recently and the word hell hasn’t been uttered once even when Goku’s actually in hell.
One that comes to mind is after Vegeta kills Kyui he says something like "Goodbye Kwi, see you in Hell." I'm sure there are more.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:59 am

I mean, remember, the idea is "Uncut", not uncensored, so it's entirely possible they'd have produced it with the idea of still keeping it "Toonami-safe", whatever that means.
So, maybe they only realised they could actually say "Hell" later on.
Or maybe they just didn't bother to change their scripts to reflect this, and only bothered to put any uses of "Hell" in for adlibs and other adjustments that happened later on in the UUE dub.

On a sidenote, I'm quite behind. Studying's caught up with me. :lol:
Oh well. I'll see if I can catch up for the upcoming movie week.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:50 am

Yeah, in this case "Uncut" means that the episodes retain their original run times and shot lengths and stuff. It doesn't mean "Uncensored", which is technically different.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Finally caught up.

Episode 71 - A Great Do-or-Die Bloody Battle

Great coming together episode, which is good to have after all the times Goku has had with his friends. As the tournament progresses and the matches get more significant we see Goku set off on Kuririn's behalf to bring Muten Roshi and Bulma to the arena. We get some nice banter between the characters like Goku telling Bulma Yamcha may be killed, Baba mocking Roshi over him doing nothing and being a pervert once it is revealed they are siblings and Kuririn telling Oopa that Bulma is annoying. The jokes about Roshi wanting to watch videos instead of fixing the dragon radar remains stale. The action was more unique because of Yamcha having to fight an invisible man and using his senses but it was really satisfying when he finally beats him. Like the rest of the cast Baba is impressed by Goku's resilience after a test he endues where stones are dropped on him as he tries to enjoy a meal. The episode ends on an ominous note as haunting Kikuchi music plays once Yamcha reaches the bridge of tongues. Without a doubt the stakes are raised from this point onward.

Episode 72 - Goku Steps Up! The Devil’s Toilet

For much of this episode Yamcha gets some good screentime fighting, although its at this point that we get to the end of our other heroes time to shine. There is some great tension with Yamcha standing on the bridge of tongues above a pool of hydroflouric acid having to contend with another slipperry foe. The Egyptian mummy's entrance was not initially too intimidating, even when he stands up. It is when the mummy starts to punch Yamcha with great speed and furiosity, and leaves him hanging on the bridge that there is some stakes to this battle. The mummy seems to be having some fun as he lets Yamcha stand up and not lose too easily. This tension is turned on its head when Yamcha kicks the mummy who nearly falls but saves himself by loosening his bandages and flying back up. The shocks being felt outside the Palace exemplifies the intensity of this fight, which is only heightened as it progresses and our hero is beaten around. Puar's loyalty to Yamcha, jumping in to save him by turning into a bird and pecking the mummy was an appropriately endearing moment. Likewise Goku who was initially Yamcha's foe extends the Nyoibo to help him from falling into the pool of hydroflouric acid, showing how their bond has developed over time, because although Yamcha loses by elimination Goku clearly feared for his friend's life. In a similar manner even Goku stepping in to take on the mummy invoked fear in Oopa who didn't want to lose his new friend that promised to revive his father. With these stakes at hand there is a lot of excitement leading in to the next episode where Goku returns to action.

Episode 73 - What Is The Deadly Devil Might Beam?!

Another entertaining episode of Goku fighting a unique foe. While Bandages the Mummy initially comes across threatened, he manages to knock Goku out, although at this point we are used to Goku swiftly getting up to fight back. Oopa remains concerned demonstrating his loyalty. Once Goku is wrapped up in bandages there is case for concern as it leaves his quite flexible body pretty immobile temporarily. Goku however finds a way around it as he nearly falls into the pool of hydroflouric acid and swings himself back up with the bandages, and once more lightly mocks his opponent doing exercises after getting back on his feet. Ironically it is the fragility of Bandage's body that is his downfall as Goku fights back and earns himself a swift victory. The next fight involves another opponent with a quirk - Spike the Devil Man. Like Dracula Man, Spike's wings allow him to save himself from falling into the pool of hydroflouric acid. The episode ends with him preparing to fire a Devil Might Beam, which even fears Baba.

Episode 74 - A Glimpse at the Mysterious Fifth Man

As Goku's fight with Spike the Devil Man continues we see less of a threat to our hero but more a testament to his resilience. As Goku is zapped by the Devil Might Beam, unsurprisingly it has no effect as our little hero cares too much for fighting, eating and sleeping to possess malicious intent. This lack of care for committing evil is shown through Goku's new routine of mocking his opponents after resisting a powerful attack or near defeat experience. Spike's frustration at his own failure to magnify the evil in Goku's heart is shown as he resorts to using weapons to fight back. At one point Goku nearly falls into the pool of hydroflouric acid, but once more his tail saves him and lets him swing upwards. Overall its quite an embarassing fight for Spike as he fails so much and is eventually kicked away by Goku in the blink of an eye, surprising even Baba. Also, after everything Goku has been through in the last three arcs it feels appropriate that in the final fight Goku gets to test what he has learned by challenging the one he looks up to the most - his adoptive grandpa Gohan. He may not know it at the time, but both him and Roshi get the sense that they know this mysterious masked fighter.

Episode 75 - Clash!! The Kindred Formidable Enemy

Interesting episode and a culmination of Goku's journey thus far. With Goku and the mysterious masked fighter engaged in a fist struggle and then pouncing at one another from different ends of the arena the two start off quite evenly matched. This however is crucial to the reveal that this masked fighter is indeed Gohan. Roshi takes note of both the fighter's pose as him and Goku stare down, and their techniques. As the fighter slams Goku up and down with his tail it becomes very evident this is someone that knows his weak spot inside out. That said Goku demonstrates some anticipation for unexpected techniques as the fighter surprises everyone by preparing a Kamehame Ha and Goku manages to avoid it with his Afterimage technique. Behind the mask Gohan seems impressed with how far Goku has come as he witnesses his old adoptive grandson lanch a Kamehame Ha of his own, knocking him onto the arena floor. Gohan's habit of tricking Goku in battle is a nice touch as the latter has adopted it a lot in his fights thus far. Even as Goku stands above the masked fighter - who is indeed Gohan, the latter grabs his tail to swing him up and down. As stated previously it is this point that Roshi realizes this fighter is actually Gohan. It is also a tense moment as all express concern forr Goku, Oopa is literally crying and now all have to grapple with the fact that this is the man Goku has honoured and looked up to for so long, a great cliffhanger to leave on for the climax of this brief tournament.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 16 - DB episodes 71-75

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:20 am
  • Speaking of anecdotal accounts about the dubs, the way the two known* English dubs censored the Bulma flash scene on TV has been described rather interestingly; in Funimation's TV dub, apparently they use stock footage of Roshi opening the can of beer from movie 2 and change dialogue to say Kuririn's strategy is to fetch a can of tomato soup from Roshi's house, and pour it all over Mr Invisible. Blue Water's dub apparently just cut the frames where you can see her boobs, but otherwise left the scene intact.e]

Regarding the Blue Water dub and handling the infamous nosebleed scene

I went and checked episode 71 and it’s weird as the recap just explains that Krillin’s quick thinking exposed the Invisible Man (showing Red Liquid hitting him but not where it came from) and the episode proper starts with everyone already at the Devil’s Toilet waiting for Yamcha’s next opponent.

I figured maybe somehow the scene was pushed back to episode 70 for some reason but nope that episode just ends with Krilling telling Goku to go get Roshi and Bulma while Yamcha is still fighting the invisible man.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:02 pm
  • Speaking of anecdotal accounts about the dubs, the way the two known* English dubs censored the Bulma flash scene on TV has been described rather interestingly; in Funimation's TV dub, apparently they use stock footage of Roshi opening the can of beer from movie 2 and change dialogue to say Kuririn's strategy is to fetch a can of tomato soup from Roshi's house, and pour it all over Mr Invisible. Blue Water's dub apparently just cut the frames where you can see her boobs, but otherwise left the scene intact.e]

I went and checked episode 71 and it’s weird as the recap just explains that Krillin’s quick thinking exposed the Invisible Man (showing Red Liquid hitting him but not where it came from) and the episode proper starts with everyone already at the Devil’s Toilet waiting for Yamcha’s next opponent.

I figured maybe somehow the scene was pushed back to episode 70 for some reason but nope that episode just ends with Krilling telling Goku to go get Roshi and Bulma while Yamcha is still fighting the invisible man.
You sure you didn't just watch episode 72? I know there's a very commonly-shared version of the BW dub that has a file labelled "Episode 71 - The Deadly and Bloody Battle", but that it's actually just a mislabelled episode 72, so you would have indeed seen the infamous scene in the recap at the beginning.

Back when I wrote the OP to this thread, I had heard the following account of how the BW dub of this scene was edited: The only edits made to the scene in question are that the shots of Kuririn actually pulling Bulma's shirt down were cut. Otherwise, it plays out as in the Japanese version.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:21 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:02 pm

You sure you didn't just watch episode 72? I know there's a very commonly-shared version of the BW dub that has a file labelled "Episode 71 - The Deadly and Bloody Battle", but that it's actually just a mislabelled episode 72, so you would have indeed seen the infamous scene in the recap at the beginning.

Oops you’re right my mistake

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:05 pm

Awop-bumpa-looma-balup-bump-boom!
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:20 amBlue Water's dub apparently just cut the frames where you can see her boobs, but otherwise left the scene intact.
To those of you who missed out: thanks to a poor-quality/incomplete YTV rip I got from a torrent of mostly UK broadcasts of the Dragon Ball trilogy, I can confirm that it's pretty much the case. It just goes from Krillin about to grab to Master Roshi nosebleeding.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:52 am

Gilby1385 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:05 pm Awop-bumpa-looma-balup-bump-boom!
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:20 amBlue Water's dub apparently just cut the frames where you can see her boobs, but otherwise left the scene intact.
To those of you who missed out: thanks to a poor-quality/incomplete YTV rip I got from a torrent of mostly UK broadcasts of the Dragon Ball trilogy, I can confirm that it's pretty much the case. It just goes from Krillin about to grab to Master Roshi nosebleeding.
Indeed, I've seen this too.

It's a smart edit because it keeps the original intent of the scene intact without showing anything you couldn't put on kids' TV in those days, and all they had to do was cut one shot.