Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Yosheets
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 am

Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Yosheets » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:22 pm

I was thinking this to myself lately... A lot of people say that InuYasha is DBZ for girls, so does that make it the Shojo version of Dragon Ball (because it's also written by a woman, even though it's written in Shonen Sunday)?

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16632
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:30 pm

It's just another "shonen" with a wide and diverse fanbase, no different from Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Saint Seiya, etc. The author's gender is irrelevant. Takahashi certainly has an immense female audience, but... so what, I guess?

I would recommend checking out this article from our 30th anniversary magazine. Shueisha in particular is well aware that their "shonen" audience isn't actually all boys.

(General reminder that "shonen" isn't a genre, but rather an intended demographic... and the actual resulting demographic doesn't always end up as expected!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17940
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Supernatural is geared towards mainly males and yet its fanbase is overwhelmingly female. What you target and what you hit aren't always the same thing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Non-women write shoujo comics all the time. Nom-men can write shounen comics, too. Hell, 'men' writing shoujo comics is a tremendously huge reason why we have the 'bishoujo' character-type in the first place.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Also worth noting, Fullmetal Alchemist was written by a female author but it still fits the "shonen" demographic. Inuyasha is no different from it and Dragon Ball.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 pm

I mean...they're also published within decidedly boys-aimed magazine.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6124
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 pm

ABED wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Supernatural is geared towards mainly males and yet its fanbase is overwhelmingly female. What you target and what you hit aren't always the same thing.
Like how the original Gundam targeted kids, but it was a hit with an older, teenage demographic.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 pm
ABED wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Supernatural is geared towards mainly males and yet its fanbase is overwhelmingly female. What you target and what you hit aren't always the same thing.
Like how the original Gundam targeted kids, but it was a hit with an older, teenage demographic.
I need to re-read the text I read this in to refresh my memory, but remember, this was in 1979-1981--the formative years of Otaku culture--the original Kidou Senshi Gundam was definitely a huge thing in re-runs and the 1980-1981 compilation film trilogy. Mecha Otaku loved the mecha and Otaku in general loved the characters. Hell, Uchuu Senkan Yamato was in a similar situation. The original series aired from 1974-1975 (twenty-six episodes) but it was the 1977 compilation film that really gave the series a boost, in particular because Otaku fell in love with the women.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:27 pm

I don't think Dragon Ball and Inuyasha really have much of anything in common at all, beyond the fact that they both have a lot of fight scenes.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:31 pm

I would call Sailor Moon the shojo (female-centred) counterpart to Dragon Ball.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

User avatar
Locust
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 pm
Location: UK/Osaka

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Locust » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:59 pm

I think the only reason, from what I've seen, that Westerners think Inuyasha is shoujo is because of there being romance featured in it - it's interesting to me how established manga/anime terms have become almost largely altered in other countries
Like I see a lot of Westerners think that shounen is a genre of action manga, rather than just a label for age demographics

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it just genuinely is interesting to me how these terms have evolved in other cultures
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Locust wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:59 pm
I think the only reason, from what I've seen, that Westerners think Inuyasha is shoujo is because of there being romance featured in it - it's interesting to me how established manga/anime terms have become almost largely altered in other countries
Like I see a lot of Westerners think that shounen is a genre of action manga, rather than just a label for age demographics

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it just genuinely is interesting to me how these terms have evolved in other cultures
Unfortunately, I think it has to do with a lot of shounen animated series airing on Toonami, which was a block on Cartoon Network that considered itself 'action', first and foremost..
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Locust
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 pm
Location: UK/Osaka

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Locust » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm
Locust wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:59 pm
I think the only reason, from what I've seen, that Westerners think Inuyasha is shoujo is because of there being romance featured in it - it's interesting to me how established manga/anime terms have become almost largely altered in other countries
Like I see a lot of Westerners think that shounen is a genre of action manga, rather than just a label for age demographics

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it just genuinely is interesting to me how these terms have evolved in other cultures
Unfortunately, I think it has to do with a lot of shounen animated series airing on Toonami, which was a block on Cartoon Network that considered itself 'action', first and foremost..
Ah yeah that would make sense - I did see some older archived ads for DBZ when it first started airing in America/Europe - I'll be honest a part of me liked the overall energy of like ... "yeahhh look at these INTENSE FIGHTS WOOOOO hardcore" kinda vibe - but I love American action films, so there's that lmfao

Little did those kids know - the real intense fight was fighting through the filler
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Locust wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:08 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm
Locust wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:59 pm
I think the only reason, from what I've seen, that Westerners think Inuyasha is shoujo is because of there being romance featured in it - it's interesting to me how established manga/anime terms have become almost largely altered in other countries
Like I see a lot of Westerners think that shounen is a genre of action manga, rather than just a label for age demographics

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it just genuinely is interesting to me how these terms have evolved in other cultures
Unfortunately, I think it has to do with a lot of shounen animated series airing on Toonami, which was a block on Cartoon Network that considered itself 'action', first and foremost..
Ah yeah that would make sense - I did see some older archived ads for DBZ when it first started airing in America/Europe - I'll be honest a part of me liked the overall energy of like ... "yeahhh look at these INTENSE FIGHTS WOOOOO hardcore" kinda vibe - but I love American action films, so there's that lmfao

Little did those kids know - the real intense fight was fighting through the filler
To this day I still have a harder time getting through Dragon Ball GT than filler. At least the filler has way better music and sometimes good directing and the like.

But yeah, wow, Dragon Ball was and is still market in a strange, strange way, completely off from the series itself.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6052
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 am

Isn't this just a punchline from an old VGCats comic?

https://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=190
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Sailor Moon has more in common with Dragon Ball than Inuyasha and even calling that "Shoujo Dragon Ball" is a stretch.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Mewzard » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 pm
Sailor Moon has more in common with Dragon Ball than Inuyasha and even calling that "Shoujo Dragon Ball" is a stretch.
It's way closer to a Shoujo Saint Seiya.

But yeah, Inuyasha is 100% a Shonen series.

Look at Osamu Tezuka, he wrote several Shoujo works during his life, like Princess Knight, Twin Knight, and Storm Fairy (which was a collection of Shoujo short stories). He also wrote Shonen stuff, Seinen material, works for super young kids, and pretty much everything possible during his 43+ year career.

Who the creator is doesn't define the genre of what they write. It's the work itself.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Peach » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 pm

I've always considered Sailor Moon to be more of a Shojo Dragon Ball. It was Dragon Ball Z's sister series on Toonami.

Oh My Goddess and Cutie Honey are the only other two action based shojos i can think of that were popular in the 90's.

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 am

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by FireFly » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am

Peach wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 pm
I've always considered Sailor Moon to be more of a Shojo Dragon Ball. It was Dragon Ball Z's sister series on Toonami.

Oh My Goddess and Cutie Honey are the only other two action based shojos i can think of that were popular in the 90's.
Oh My Goddess runs in a seinen magazine. It's not Shojo.

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 3003
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:02 am

FireFly wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am
Peach wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 pm
I've always considered Sailor Moon to be more of a Shojo Dragon Ball. It was Dragon Ball Z's sister series on Toonami.

Oh My Goddess and Cutie Honey are the only other two action based shojos i can think of that were popular in the 90's.
Oh My Goddess runs in a seinen magazine. It's not Shojo.
Same with the 90s Cutie Honey series, and all later series. In the 70s Honey ran concurrently in 5 different magazines with 3 different artists, two of which were shojo ones, but the main series was the Shonen Champion one drawn by Nagai himself. The franchise has always been primarily aimed at males.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Post Reply