"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:43 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm Drafts are out

https://twitter.com/dbshype/status/1360 ... 46913?s=21
Doesn't seem like much to discuss until we get translations.
Actually those are out too :)

https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1360 ... 18406?s=21

Honestly some interesting build up so far with both Granolah and the Vegeta/Beerus stuff

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:43 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm Drafts are out

https://twitter.com/dbshype/status/1360 ... 46913?s=21

Honestly some interesting build up so far with both Granolah and the Vegeta/Beerus stuff
Interesting.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:46 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:49 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Interesting.
I think they're linked because Beerus is going to teach him to use destruction, and the Saiyans have a history of destruction.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm

I like the slower pace of the manga so far. I've a feeling people are gonna complain, but I'm willing to get more lore and proper build up. This arc has some potential.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Jmass97
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jmass97 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:35 pm I love how the fans don't get why Frieza's form is golden, even tho he said it in the movie. The fans is at bad at remembering as Toriyama somtimes, at least Toriyama has the excuse that he is getting older.
This x10 over

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:26 am

Loved the drafts.
Modern Toriyama and Saiyans' lore is a dangerous combo, but at least he's not blaming all the evil things Saiyans did on Freeza...

I see some people comparing Granolah to a Mandalorian. I don't know the similarities because I don't watch that series, but considering Toriyama was always a huge fan of Star Wars it may not be a coincidence if there are some.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:48 am

Yasai9001 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm I like the slower pace of the manga so far. I've a feeling people are gonna complain, but I'm willing to get more lore and proper build up. This arc has some potential.
I think slower pace is fine if it is interesting which this stuff is. There is some interesting world and character building going on here

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:50 am

I remain incredibly taken with the way this is starting out.

I'd always thought the idea of a Saiyan-vengeance plot to hackneyed to bother with again, but it's going at it in such unexpected ways. We have Granolah living on his old world, now repopulated by a species the Heatas sold it off to and with whom he's on vaguely friendly terms. We have Beerus and Vegeta's conversation exploring their various thoughts on the Saiyans and their history (I never though the series needed to explore Beerus' role in requesting its destruction, and I'm not sure we'll get more than this one exchange, but that element being there as he's probing Vegeta for his thoughts on them is definitely an interesting dynamic!), Vegeta doubling down on the reflection he did in the previous arc, and the promise that all of these elements will somehow come together to form the arc's central conflict.

I still can't even say who our villain is going to be! Granolah is likable, even Elec is likable in his rather grounded mobster-business goals (and the upshot is an objectively better quality of life for people like the Suga race who were able to purchase a planet to live on--and it's not like the Heatas had cleared out that planet themselves; they just took advantage of funding its reconstruction for a profit), Freeza is essentially a frenemy, etc. So wherever our main antagonist comes from, it isn't going to be your typical "New evil villain!" ordeal. Everyone has somewhat understandable motives that simply look ready to clash in some way. (I mean, Freeza is the most morally objectionable character on the board this arc, but he's also not in a position where he'll be its main antagonist, somewhat cozy with the main cast as he is--just a trope of the fiction.)

It could implode in the next thirty pages, I suppose, but as of this release of storyboards, it continues to be my favorite arc opening in Super, and I'm loving both the slower character setup and having no idea where things will go.

It's also going through my mind that after this much time for build-up, whenever the first substantial fight occurs (as opposed to bits of sideshow action Toyotaro tries to work in each month), it's probably going to be incredibly satisfying.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:24 am

I still feel Granolah will be the main antagonist. He may not be evil but revenge can corrupt a person. I could see Freeza if/when he becomes involved making the situation worse too.

That being said I can’t see what the Heatas role in this will be yet. They are definitely an interesting puzzle piece.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 am

If I recall correctly, in one of the bonus mangas during Moro, Freeza claims he sees himself as running a business rather than an evil organisation because the Freeza force destroys planets and then sells them to races in need of a home. So it's charitable.
It's interesting to see the Heetas going much the same way, but with "intel" rather than might - so they seem to be basically taking planets that Freeza destroyed and selling them on before Freeza can :lol:

My memory is a bit fuzzy though so please correct me if this isn't the case!

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:44 am

I am really liking this arc so far, and that's what makes me worried that the more we go into this arc the worse its going to get. The idea of the saiyans' past sins coming back to bite them in the ass is a good idea, its pretty similar to the Frieza arc but this time the saiyans take the role of Frieza (Frieza is present too, still works tho) and Granola takes the role of the saiyans (Super Cereal legend when???).

Also the talk between Vegeta and Beerus is pretty interesting, to me it implies that Beerus is going to teach Vegeta a technique which represents the saiyans' destructive nature, maybe a super saiyan god of destruction form might come of this?

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:58 am

OrangeBanana wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:44 am I am really liking this arc so far, and that's what makes me worried that the more we go into this arc the worse its going to get. The idea of the saiyans' past sins coming back to bite them in the ass is a good idea, its pretty similar to the Frieza arc but this time the saiyans take the role of Frieza (Frieza is present too, still works tho) and Granola takes the role of the saiyans (Super Cereal legend when???).

Also the talk between Vegeta and Beerus is pretty interesting, to me it implies that Beerus is going to teach Vegeta a technique which represents the saiyans' destructive nature, maybe a super saiyan god of destruction form might come of this?
A transformation is likely to come for him.
About Vegeta, yes, the concept is great for me. Just something more than a super sayan purple please :thumbup:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:24 am

caire wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 am If I recall correctly, in one of the bonus mangas during Moro, Freeza claims he sees himself as running a business rather than an evil organisation because the Freeza force destroys planets and then sells them to races in need of a home. So it's charitable.
It's interesting to see the Heetas going much the same way, but with "intel" rather than might - so they seem to be basically taking planets that Freeza destroyed and selling them on before Freeza can :lol:

Seems to be the implication indeed that they were able to fill the power vacuum left by Freeza in a more "peaceful" (still exploitative, but not genocidal) way, even capitalizing on planets his army had to leave behind with his death, and have now been put out by his return. Pretty interesting dynamic!

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:17 am

Gt91 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:58 am
OrangeBanana wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:44 am I am really liking this arc so far, and that's what makes me worried that the more we go into this arc the worse its going to get. The idea of the saiyans' past sins coming back to bite them in the ass is a good idea, its pretty similar to the Frieza arc but this time the saiyans take the role of Frieza (Frieza is present too, still works tho) and Granola takes the role of the saiyans (Super Cereal legend when???).

About Vegeta, yes, the concept is great for me. Just something more than a super sayan purple please :thumbup:
I kinda hope he gets SSJ4 or something that continues the mainline SSJ transformations, it could even be a shorter haired SSJ3 with eyebrows and a different hair colour and I'd be happy. Just please not another recolour.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am

Gt91 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:58 am

I wouldn't mind purple if the form was designed similar to Toppo's GoD form in the anime

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am

caire wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 am If I recall correctly, in one of the bonus mangas during Moro, Freeza claims he sees himself as running a business rather than an evil organisation because the Freeza force destroys planets and then sells them to races in need of a home. So it's charitable.

Pretty much. It's nice knowing that besides Freeza, there are still people who can get under his nose and do their own business. Freeza may have a strong hold of a significant portion of the Universe, but there are still people and beings out there who want to do their own thing with their own selfish-minded businesses. Freeza, being a powerhouse of an obstacle, means that they have to work around ways in order to get what they want as well. It's nice knowing things like that

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:59 am

What would Freeza look like if made his own God form? Maybe charcoal/black to fit the theme of a "dark god"? Perhaps going for a shiny shade of blue to mock SSJB as his golden form does for SSJ? Suppose Freeza can just change the color of his form at will and changes it to match whoever his latest opponent is, sort of like a trollish chameleon?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:25 pm

It's still too early to tell exactly where this might go. I remember in the Toyatoro interview, he said that many secrets would be revealed that only the creator (Toriyama) knows about.

Perhaps we will get more ancient saiyan lore, such as Yamoshi and maybe more on Beeruses reasons for wanting the Saiyans destroyed.

Maybe it's more Philosophical, is it the nature of Saiyans to destroy, pillage, and end civilizations? Or are they better than that? Are they truly more like the Universe 6 Saiyans?
That may be where its heading.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:25 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:26 pm I have no idea why you people care so much about other universes being used when U7 has been barely explored.
I guess people want to see characters like Hit, Jiren, Kefla etc again, or what fighters there are in the 4 universes that didn't compete in the ToP. Nobody wants to see fodders like Krillin or Roshi in action again, and people don't want Goku and Vegeta to get all the spotlight again.