"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 pm

I read the chapter pretty late and that Vegeta's exposition that was cliffhangered in chapter before was golden... classic manga and anime plot twist. After many chapters or episodes, the main hero finally comes to realize what the reader/watcher knew all along.
''THE SAIYANS WERE HERE!'' Holy crap!

And I will stop here otherwise I will be acused of being a negative fart, who just wants to be negative.

I actually loved the action, how it was drawn and the composition, nice... but seriously, is it really still fun for DB fans storywise?
I remember time when Dragon Ball was creative and fresh, what I get now is a classic trophe of guy with grudge, not thinking at all with sharingan from Naruto and Goku struggling with transformation for like third time. I just want to say, that when there was few stories and the series ended with Buu and we could bash GT for not being as good as Z, altough with great ending that made me and all the other kids sad, it felt more special. And altough I like Star Wars, the feeling is the same, ''Oh look, the Empire again!''.

Seriously, change my mind Toyo and Toriyama team, but so far I am really loosing the excitement since the Tournament of Power ended.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 pm I read the chapter pretty late and that Vegeta's exposition that was cliffhangered in chapter before was golden... classic manga and anime plot twist. After many chapters or episodes, the main hero finally comes to realize what the reader/watcher knew all along.

And I will stop here otherwise I will be acused of being a negative fart, who just wants to be negative.

I actually loved the action, how it was drawn and the composition, nice... but seriously, is it really still fun for DB fans storywise?
I remember time when Dragon Ball was creative and fresh, what I get now is a classic trophe of guy with grudge, not thinking at all with sharingan from Naruto and Goku struggling with transformation for like third time. I just want to say, that when there was few stories and the series ended with Buu and we could bash GT for not being as good as Z, altough with great ending that made me and all the other kids sad, it felt more special. And altough I like Star Wars, the feeling is the same, ''Oh look, the Empire again!''.

Seriously, change my mind Toyo and Toriyama team, but so far I am really loosing the excitement since the Tournament of Power ended.
Dragon Ball really is about power, strength, abilities, and above all, Goku’s and Vegeta’s evolution as fighters. Seeing their improvements and new abilities, while at the same time showing off the enemy’s abilities and power. There really is nothing more to it. If you’re looking for some kind of “deep” story, than there are countless other anime’s or show I could suggest to you. Dragon Ball ain’t the place for that. It’s about a warrior’s evolution and nothing more.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:45 pm

I get the feeling that Freeza may become more powerful as a result of this arc, possibly even bridging the gap between he and the Saiyans but refusing to kill them because he may have plans to use them to overthrow Beerus.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:58 am

OK so. It just dawned on me that Chapter 73 might have given us Base Goku's Greatest Feat of Durability in the longest time.

Consider this. We know that Granolah can use Moro's Technique as shown here:
And we know what happens when someone gets hit by this move. Super Saiyan God Vegeta god messed up by this move even before getting drained. On Earth it Scared UI Omen Goku to Stop Attacking Moro. Speaking of Moro, with his Fight against Mastered Ultra Instict he used this move to its extreme and it really messed him up:
And Current Granolah Arc Goku...Post Whis Training...Can Tank it in his Base Form and Teleport Away with a Few Scratches.

Holy Crap.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:20 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:58 am OK so. It just dawned on me that Chapter 73 might have given us Base Goku's Greatest Feat of Durability in the longest time.....
And Goku was STILL defeated by Granola poking his middle finger in Goku's chest
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:15 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 pm I read the chapter pretty late and that Vegeta's exposition that was cliffhangered in chapter before was golden... classic manga and anime plot twist. After many chapters or episodes, the main hero finally comes to realize what the reader/watcher knew all along.

Dragon Ball really is about power, strength, abilities, and above all, Goku’s and Vegeta’s evolution as fighters. Seeing their improvements and new abilities, while at the same time showing off the enemy’s abilities and power. There really is nothing more to it. If you’re looking for some kind of “deep” story, than there are countless other anime’s or show I could suggest to you. Dragon Ball ain’t the place for that. It’s about a warrior’s evolution and nothing more.
Not what I meant at all… stuff in the original series was fresh and fun and if evolution means being stuck inbetween Buu arc and Epilogue with just hair recolors, no thanks. All the villains so far had great backstories and connections to the story while being simple at the same time. That kinda ended with the original series and sure new Gods and Black were interesting, but since the manga went beyond anime, it’s on decline for me.

And even though Vegeta learning destruction techniques is the only cool thing lately, I really wonder if something good happens in this arc. I don’t think that Granola is really that interesting now and would be hard for me to redeem his blind revenge.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:34 pm

So just as a curiosity, at least according to the official color version of the manga, it seems that all Cerealians have green hair (similar to how all Saiyans originally had black hair). I don't remember if anything like that was mentioned before, so...

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:16 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:34 pm So just as a curiosity, at least according to the official color version of the manga, it seems that all Cerealians have green hair (similar to how all Saiyans originally had black hair). I don't remember if anything like that was mentioned before, so...

Makes it seem even more like Granloah's Wish basically gave him the power and experience he would have if he trained for the rest of his life since his Long hair looks very similar to that other Cerealian.

So I guess Granolah is technically 197 years old.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 pm

i actually completely disagree here. most of the longer dragon ball stories are about a lot more than simply "power" or "a warrior's evolution". namek for example is as much about gohan as it is goku, if not more. when people

admittedly, super has spent a lot of time on vegeta and that has probably been a mistake, since his story more or less ended after battle of gods. i enjoy super but when fans say that they feel like something is missing, maybe it's because the story has been reduced to something like "a warrior's evolution", or reduced to simply focusing on goku and vegeta... it's not true that this was always the case though.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:51 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 pm
i actually completely disagree here. most of the longer dragon ball stories are about a lot more than simply "power" or "a warrior's evolution". namek for example is as much about gohan as it is goku, if not more. when people

admittedly, super has spent a lot of time on vegeta and that has probably been a mistake, since his story more or less ended after battle of gods. i enjoy super but when fans say that they feel like something is missing, maybe it's because the story has been reduced to something like "a warrior's evolution", or reduced to simply focusing on goku and vegeta... it's not true that this was always the case though.
Everyone’s story ended at the end of Z. Vegeta’s story did not end specifically at the Battle of the Gods. That doesn’t even make sense.

That being said as much as I am a fan of the Goku/Vegeta dynamic and love Vegeta I don’t think Dragon Ball need only focus on them. Broadening the cast up a bit more wouldn’t hurt.

Though Super while it has its problems is most certainly not ONLY focused on Power or a warrior evolution. It’s themes for each arc are more diverse than that.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Kinokima wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:51 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Everyone’s story ended at the end of Z. Vegeta’s story did not end specifically at the Battle of the Gods. That doesn’t even make sense.

That being said as much as I am a fan of the Goku/Vegeta dynamic and love Vegeta I don’t think Dragon Ball need only focus on them. Broadening the cast up a bit more wouldn’t hurt.

Though Super while it has its problems is most certainly not ONLY focused on Power or a warrior evolution. It’s themes for each arc are more diverse than that.
"God" Piccolo vs. Moro would have been neat.

He and Gohan, two of the strongest non-fusion Z-Fighters, got left in the dust.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:01 pm

"God" Piccolo vs. Moro would have been neat.

He and Gohan, two of the strongest non-fusion Z-Fighters, got left in the dust.
They are easily 3rd and 4th Behind Goku and Vegeta for Strongest Z fighters.

Hell, Piccolo Was Confident He could Kill Moro if he self Destructed and he just saw not two seconds prior Blue Goku Struggle to Blast his Arm Off. Guy is way stronger than People give him Credit For.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am

obviously dragon ball ends at the end of Z. however, super lets us learn a bit about what happened to those characters in between and, at least in the case of goku, how and why the becomes the person he is at EOZ.

the "bingo moment" was vegeta finally conquering his pride. everything significant that's happened to him since (acknowledging his role in causing so much pain on namek, for example) is just a variation on that theme.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 am

I wonder what would have happened if Piccolo did blow himself up there. I definitely have doubts that it would be enough to kill Moro, especially if he can regenerate, but it would probably kill everyone else

Thank the lord Moro intervened!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:38 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 am I wonder what would have happened if Piccolo did blow himself up there. I definitely have doubts that it would be enough to kill Moro, especially if he can regenerate, but it would probably kill everyone else

That was totally out of character for him to do. Just recklessly endanger the lives of others.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:54 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:38 pm
Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 am I wonder what would have happened if Piccolo did blow himself up there. I definitely have doubts that it would be enough to kill Moro, especially if he can regenerate, but it would probably kill everyone else

That was totally out of character for him to do. Just recklessly endanger the lives of others.
They were all borderline dead. If Merus hadn't intervened (and died because of it), they would be. He was right in risking it.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:00 pm

Yeah, I don't think he was wrong for attempting it seeing as he had no reason to think anyone else was going to intervene. It's just funny in hindsight how much of a disastrous decision it would have been.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:19 pm

What's funny is that he thought the shield was going to hold the blast... I mean if he kills Moro, the shield goes down and who knows what else would be destroyed.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:19 pm What's funny is that he thought the shield was going to hold the blast... I mean if he kills Moro, the shield goes down and who knows what else would be destroyed.
The blast would have run out of momentum before the shield dissipated plus it'd stop Moro absorbing the last if his downed friends energy.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:43 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am
obviously dragon ball ends at the end of Z. however, super lets us learn a bit about what happened to those characters in between and, at least in the case of goku, how and why the becomes the person he is at EOZ.

the "bingo moment" was vegeta finally conquering his pride. everything significant that's happened to him since (acknowledging his role in causing so much pain on namek, for example) is just a variation on that theme.

The Bingo Moment was not Vegeta finally conquering his pride and that is an incorrect read of that moment. There was never a moment hesitation of Vegeta doing the Bingo dance because he can put his pride aside when there is a need. That doesn’t mean that he threw away his pride because he does a little dance. Gags have always been a large part of Dragon Ball and that is what that scene ultimately is not a culmination of Vegeta’s character arc.

And it’s weird to highlight the Bingo Dance as the end of his story when that isn’t even how Vegeta’s story ends in BOG. In BOG Vegeta was terrified of Beerus and thought there was absolutely no way to fight back so he tried to placate Beerus instead hence the Bingo Dance.

However when Beerus hits Bulma he is no longer afraid and is able to land a hit on Beerus showing he has more in him. While he can’t beat Beerus in that moment afterwards he continues get stronger and closer to the Gods. Maybe for you Vegeta’s story ended with Battle of the Gods but that is not what actually happens.

And I think Vegeta acknowledging the pain he caused on Namek was a more important scene for his character than the Bingo Dance (as much as I enjoy that scene).