Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:52 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:41 am
Xeogran wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:30 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:22 am Boy…. there better be a good explanation on why these guys are so powerful and able to even harm Piccolo and Gohan post TOP.
they did 10 push ups :lol:
That will probably be the excuse

But seriously if we are gonna rehash androids atleast give me a reason as too why they are so strong and another thing why did they wait so long to build them if they can do this?
This movie will be clash of super hero ideologies between our z fighters and the androids(gamma 1 ,Gamma 2). They are both heroes in their own ways,Still no info about who's directing it.
Last edited by Mr_CINDER on Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:56 am

I'm sure the movie will be fine but the animation just keeps on looking like a video game cutscene and not even a modern video game cutscene. What a disappointment after Broly.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:13 am

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:56 am I'm sure the movie will be fine but the animation just keeps on looking like a video game cutscene and not even a modern video game cutscene. What a disappointment after Broly.
Agreed, this is like when Marvel released the forgettable Thor Darkworld (DBSSH) movie after dropping the 1st Avengers movie(Broly). Which says a lot since Res F exists

I’ve been saying there is trouble happening at the top with the franchise that we aren’t hearing about the signs are clear & it’s getting worse.All these weird/terrible moves: from the CGI movie, breakers, radio silence on the timeline.

It’s just hard for me to imagine the round table of executives in suits at Shuiesha/Toei/Bandai that have controlling interest in this franchise thinking this CGI crapfest is gonna be a smash hit at the box office instead of a 2-D. Especially after the money the last movie made & even more so after what Demon Slayer made.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:20 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:13 am
Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:56 am I'm sure the movie will be fine but the animation just keeps on looking like a video game cutscene and not even a modern video game cutscene. What a disappointment after Broly.
Agreed, this is like when Marvel released the forgettable Thor Darkworld (DBSSH) movie after dropping the 1st Avengers movie(Broly). Which says a lot since Res F exists

I’ve been saying there is trouble happening at the top with the franchise that we aren’t hearing about the signs are clear & it’s getting worse.All these weird/terrible moves: from the CGI movie, breakers, radio silence on the timeline.

It’s just hard for me to imagine the round table of executives in suits at Shuiesha/Toei/Bandai that have controlling interest in this franchise thinking this CGI crapfest is gonna be a smash hit at the box office instead of a 2-D. Especially after the money the last movie made & even more so after what Demon Slayer made.
Actually Kozo Morishita himself said he has a dream to make full CGI DB movie and show it to the whole world so that could be the reason, but what I am worried about is that they didn't announce who's directing the movie. Pixar usually take 4-5 years to make a movie. About a year to get the story solid, about a year to get the characters defined, about a year to build the characters, props and sets, and about a year to produce the movie.In their website they said it will be a super large scale project to tell a large scale story kinda like pixar.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:45 am

-Animation is still a bit...questionable...
-Bruuuuuh Gohan wears his Piccolo attire again? Badass!
-Thank GOD the film is being released in the first half of the year, it seems like they were prepared.
-Seems like they are trying to return to monke manga aesthetics with the large onomatopoeia in the background: a weird but bold stylistic choice.
-There is a lot going on in this trailer. We got the Red Ribbon gang's Gamma andriods fighting Piccolo and Gohan, Goku and Vegeta are presumably in space with mofuckin Broly, and Pan training. I don't know how well they can mesh all these plot-points together without being neglectful or tacky.
-On that topic, Gohan seems to be getting the focus over Goku in this trailer...perhaps it is a Gohan centric film after all? I concur with Grimlock that seeing SSJ2 would be a treat.

Overall, there is some hype to be had, but nothing too spectacular.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:01 am

I can't take this shit seriously. I would be so excited for a Gohan movie right now but Jesus Christ is the animation fucking goofy. My only hope for this movie is to have Pan beat someone Piccolo and/or Gohan struggled with. It's gonna cause a massive outrage between power scalling nerds, but at least it will be fun to read, such as when Krillin pushed back SSB Goku's kamehameha, man the reactions for that were hilarious.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:18 am

At this point , i think that Gohan will surely have a new trasformation (remember Goku ssj in the teaser trailer for RoF, after that we saw Blue). Maybe he trained on Beerus planet?
The rain + a new trasformation + a rage moment protecting his family. That would be really cool!

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:32 am

Perhaps this time Goku and Vegeta will be busy on Beers's planet so that they don't come back to Earth and save the day. It would be the third time after both Resurrection of F and the Moro arc. The latter at least had an excuse for recreating those events in manga form since Freeza's movie was not fully adapted.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:35 am

CG isn't the problem per se. It's the cheap looking CG that's the problem. There are plenty of good looking CG anime films. I recently watched Stand by me Doraemon 2 for example and it looks awesome:
https://youtu.be/A0wg3Zkxq1c

Or if you want to take it broader, the CG-look of Into the Spider-Verse is really pretty.

This movie seems to coast on I guess Broly's success and the brand itself because since Super ended we basically only got DLC for FighterZ and that's it as far as releases. Yes, there is also the manga but I don't think a large percentage of this movie's intended audience reads it.

Like @ObnoxiousNamek says it's really weird what's going on with the brand if they think this will be Broly 2. Forget the CGI, the villains look not that interesting and the marketing has been pretty poor for a movie that's coming out from a brand that has been cooling down since the release of Broly. Add to that that due to the online era in which we live people that may be interested can see how bad the CGI is and I'm wondering how it will be received.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:40 am

Still not sold on the movie at all.

Visually the film still looks like dogshit, ESPECIALLY coming after DBS Broly.

But the biggest issue I have is how the hell am I supposed to take the Red Ribbon Army serious considering they got handily defeated TWICE (Three times if you want to include Cell) in the original story? Toriyama must be absolutely out of ideas if he's going back the Red Ribbon Army as concepts for central antagonists.

I don't care either for Gohan and Piccolo being the centre focus considering they've gotten zero development since Battle Of Gods and have been generally not well written or written at all in some cases in major story arcs since the new wave of material.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:59 am

That was barely a trailer. :lol: A lot of those scenes were in the previous trailer, too. I'm starting to understand the "pop" element they're going for. Some of the action scenes looked really nice, but there were still a few shots that kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm excited for all the story stuff, though!

EDIT:
Directior: Tetsuro Kodama
Animation director: Chikashi Kubota
Music: Naoki Sato

Sumitomo not coming back is surprising! Maybe they're going for a completely different vibe for this? Makes sense, since they've gone a different route with the animation, too.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:08 am

The trailers for this are really light on information. I feel like Broly's first trailer told us so much more about what was happening. But I guess there's not much more to say other than the Red Ribbon Army are back and they've got some super hero robots working for them.

I like that the bio for Goku mentions how much he's been training since his battles with Jiren and Broly. Moro? Granolah? No one will know who that is.

That said, I'm still psyched for this. Lightness of tone, Gohan and Piccolo fighting, it's all stuff I'm keen to see.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:13 am

Holy fucking shit Gohan looks amazing!!!

But now he is back to using SSJ or what?

Well fuck the shit Toyo said and ultimate as well.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:22 am

Considering the movie is coming out in April I am mystified as to why they haven't dropped more details about the film yet. And the lack of new content in the second trailer is also a major concern for me as Toei seem to be quite reluctant to give more a glimpse as to how the film looks when there is actual fighting. The trailers for DBS Broly had no problems showing that shit off.

The marketing for this movie, in general, has been pretty poor, and I have a feeling that Toei knows there isn't much to this story and are keeping the details as scare as possible to hide that fact.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:46 am

The action looks epic, especially what we saw of Piccolo and Gohan's rain fight.

Casting Hiroshi Kamiya and Mamoru Miyano as the Gammas are a great choice.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:03 am

Kataphrut wrote: I like that the bio for Goku mentions how much he's been training since his battles with Jiren and Broly. Moro? Granolah? No one will know who that is..
Manga events don't get acknowledged in the movies but Toyotaro has to rush his manga just to put a promotional advertisment page. I don't like the correlation between these 2 mediums...

I'll be disappointed if the higher ups told him to wrap up the Granolah arc only to advertise the movie...

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:28 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:22 am Boy…. there better be a good explanation on why these guys are so powerful and able to even harm Piccolo and Gohan post TOP.
They’re Red Ribbon androids man, those guys have a good design track record.

Remember Android 17 is a Red Ribbon creation and he’s got a trophy or at least a coffee mug lying around somewhere that says “Winner: Mutliversal Tournament.”

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:40 am

Yup. RR would find a way to keep up with the likes of Goku and Vegeta in power wherever they go, and by now that includes the Multiverse and God's realm, so it's very possible that their new creations are fairly strong, even if the organization can't physically, you know, go to the Multiverse.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:06 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:22 am Considering the movie is coming out in April I am mystified as to why they haven't dropped more details about the film yet. And the lack of new content in the second trailer is also a major concern for me as Toei seem to be quite reluctant to give more a glimpse as to how the film looks when there is actual fighting. The trailers for DBS Broly had no problems showing that shit off.

The marketing for this movie, in general, has been pretty poor, and I have a feeling that Toei knows there isn't much to this story and are keeping the details as scare as possible to hide that fact.
Probably because most of Broly was fighting and showing off how awesome Broly is because it’s Broly.

If the movie is more plot focused than Broly, which honestly isn’t hard, they’re not going to reveal it now and people usually hide the plot because of spoilers. Not because of a lack of plot, especially in an anime like Dragon Ball where 90% of the audience don’t watch for the plot.

Personally think the marketing fine. It’s only hardcore fans like this site that is being overly negative about everything. But this isn’t the first time since this site exploded in rage when Broly’s return.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:20 am

You know, I gotta wonder what bringing in Ultimate Gohan will be like.

We'll clearly see his Super Saiyan and maybe Super Saiyan 2 forms, but will his true full power make it in?