Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:17 pm

If Fat Gotenks is the mystery character that was hyped a while back, then I’m convinced Toriyama and/or Toei are trolling people.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:21 pm

Did Fat Gotenks ever get a name? or Skinny Gotenks for that matter?

Fat Gogeta was called Veku by one of the Kaios. Fat or failed Gotenks would be Trunten? maybe we'll get a name.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:45 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:21 pm Did Fat Gotenks ever get a name? or Skinny Gotenks for that matter?

Fat Gogeta was called Veku by one of the Kaios. Fat or failed Gotenks would be Trunten? maybe we'll get a name.
I shall call him...Thicctenks
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:02 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:45 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:21 pm Did Fat Gotenks ever get a name? or Skinny Gotenks for that matter?

no...swoltenks
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:51 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:02 pm

no...swoltenks
Can't be that. That'd imply he has actual muscles instead of being a useless fat blob.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:01 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:51 pm

no...swoltenks
Can't be that. That'd imply he has actual muscles instead of being a useless fat blob.
BLOBTENKS

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 pm
So is this pretty much confirmation we'll see him in the movie? Does anyone know more about how much these promotional figurines reflect the end product of the film?
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:11 pm

fleahop wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm
So is this pretty much confirmation we'll see him in the movie? Does anyone know more about how much these promotional figurines reflect the end product of the film?
Yes, promotional things for the movie reflect what we'll see in the movie.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:48 pm

Maybe Got-Trunk?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:33 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:11 pm
fleahop wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm
Yes, promotional things for the movie reflect what we'll see in the movie.
Can't help but feel the sarcasm here. Maybe I'm sensitive. Idk.

But if it's there, promotional materials (especially toys/figurines) aren't always a great example of what we'll see in a piece of media. I was explicitly asking about Dragon Ball media's promotional items as, for instance, Marvel's is sometimes way off. Hopefully I'm just being touchy. If so. I apologize.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:53 pm

no...swoltenks
How about this

[Morbidly Obese Warrior] Gotenks (Thicc Boi)
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Jord

Post by Jord » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 am

Maybe I'm missing something but what is so exciting about Trunks and Goten growing up in this movie? We've already seen them grown up, both in EoZ as well as GT. They were okay I guess. Hinting at adult Gotenks is nice but we've seen adult Gotenks as well in other media.

Plus, the whole blue hair-color thing seems kinda weird to me. You establish a character having pinkish/purple hair for 20 years and then suddenly change it because reasons? Same goes for Bulma. It's not that I dislike the hair color. It's just weird and unnecceary. I do think Blue looks good on Bulma but I prefer Trunks' purple hair.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 am

Fat Gotenks is pretty much confirmed by that poster; look at their fingers.
Kudos to them for being honest about it. Let's hope people don't lose when the kids do nothing but comic-relief.

Let's talk about plot.

It was implied the scientist character is just leaving a prison. Could he have been imprisoned when Goku destroyed the army many years ago?
In one of the voice lines he says he's powered them up. Seems he's key to explain the resurgence of this threat.

Any theories?

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:07 am

LightBing wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 am Fat Gotenks is pretty much confirmed by that poster; look at their fingers.
Kudos to them for being honest about it. Let's hope people don't lose when the kids do nothing but comic-relief.

Let's talk about plot.

It was implied the scientist character is just leaving a prison. Could he have been imprisoned when Goku destroyed the army many years ago?
In one of the voice lines he says he's powered them up. Seems he's key to explain the resurgence of this threat.

Any theories?
I think he was employed by them but it’s not known as of yet whether it’s recent or not. Othe than that they’re not much plot to talk about thanks to the men of silence.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:00 am

Well, at this point, we could get:

- a new design for Gotenks in his base form, with blue hair (considering super trunks)
- ss3 adult Gotenks or something new
- him fighting gamma 2
- Adult Goten/Trunks ssj or ss2

I hope they won't be only "joke" characters (fat gotenks) ... there is so much potential.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:25 am

I don't see any reason to believe Goten and Trunks will NOT be used for comedic relief. The filmmakers clearly stated that this is a Piccolo-Gohan-centric movie, and since it also has Goku, Vegeta, Broly, and Pan as focuses, I doubt there would be much room for the two buddies to do anything meaningful per se. Moreover, the new poster shows them mucking up the fusion pose, so it is likely that such a gag will be featured in the movie.
I would keep my expectations low for them...

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:07 am

KentMan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:07 am
LightBing wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 am Fat Gotenks is pretty much confirmed by that poster; look at their fingers.

Let's talk about plot.

Any theories?
I think he was employed by them but it’s not known as of yet whether it’s recent or not. Othe than that they’re not much plot to talk about thanks to the men of silence.
Yeah, we don't really have much to go on.
They are aware of Piccolo and such, my current theory is that Gamma 1 and 2 were lacking with the scientist helping them surpass that threat level.

I wonder if they are unware of "God Tier" like Dr.Gero was regarding SSJ. I would love if Goku and Vegeta stayed put with the warriors on Earth solving the menace.
Gt91 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:00 am I hope they won't be only "joke" characters (fat gotenks) ... there is so much potential.
They were revealed with Kuririn, Bulma and #18, those should all be side characters with a scene or two tops.
Their relevance is pretty implied to be null. I bet Bulma has her big brain moment, Kuririn saves some civilians, #18 destroys a random mook and Gotenks fails the fusion for the laughs.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:53 am

fleahop wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:33 pm Can't help but feel the sarcasm here. Maybe I'm sensitive. Idk.

But if it's there, promotional materials (especially toys/figurines) aren't always a great example of what we'll see in a piece of media. I was explicitly asking about Dragon Ball media's promotional items as, for instance, Marvel's is sometimes way off. Hopefully I'm just being touchy. If so. I apologize.
In the panel Iyoku heavily implied that Goten and Trunks will perform the fusion at some point in the movie.

So even disregarding promotional material, it's pretty likely to happen. But now that we know Fat Gotenks will appear and with how much they are focusing on the failed fusion aspect, I'm afraid this will be his only form in the movie. Gotenks himself is almost a gag character but it would not hurt to see him properly in action against some villain. But I would not bet on it happening unfortunately...

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:28 pm

Goten and Trunks lost interest in training by EoZ so it makes sense they would be rusty with the fusion dance if they haven't performed it in years. Gohan and Piccolo are the main characters so a failed fusion of Gotenks could also explain why they're not the ones to defeat the main villains.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm

They already made a "lol fat fusion" joke in Broly, are they seriously loving this joke so much that we're getting Fat Gotenks again??