Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:55 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm They already made a "lol fat fusion" joke in Broly, are they seriously loving this joke so much that we're getting Fat Gotenks again??
"Fat people are useless and pathetic!" is a go-to staple of the "judge people for how they look" crowd so, yes, I guess they do love this joke. :shrug:
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:55 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm They already made a "lol fat fusion" joke in Broly, are they seriously loving this joke so much that we're getting Fat Gotenks again??
"Fat people are useless and pathetic!" is a go-to staple of the "judge people for how they look" crowd so, yes, I guess they do love this joke. :shrug:
To play devil's advocate a bit, why about Grand Supreme Kai/Buu or Ribrianne's full form?

Dragon Ball's creators definitely have an awful history of being non-inclusive and short sighted. With that being said I don't think it's really doubted that an obese person (specifically regular humanoid types) is going to be less effective than one who is very athletic/fit.

I think the joke would work if they just had too much body hair or something as well. To me though the joke works regardless because that's simply not their form. They goof and it changes their shape.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:34 pm

fleahop wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:28 pm
To play devil's advocate a bit, why about Grand Supreme Kai/Buu or Ribrianne's full form?
To, er, play angel's advocate, Buu and Ribrianne weren't exactly on the side of the protagonists...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:36 pm

There was also Yajirobe! At the time of his introduction, he was probably the strongest human without any formal training from the two main martial arts schools. I think he was the only one besides Goku to defeat any of King Piccolo's children.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:36 pm There was also Yajirobe! At the time of his introduction, he was probably the strongest human without any formal training from the two main martial arts schools. I think he was the only one besides Goku to defeat any of King Piccolo's children.
He was also portrayed as an asshole and coward who was selfish and didn't care about others most of the time.

Ribrianne at least was handled as a queen with no real fat jokes as far as I can remember. She also wasn't written by Toriyama or JUMP editorial.
She/Her

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:48 pm ...
Ribrianne at least was handled as a queen with no real fat jokes as far as I can remember. She also wasn't written by Toriyama or JUMP editorial.
Well that's disappointing but makes sense. They really need some sensitivity training or a person on staff to round those edges. Toriyama is stuck in a different time and beyond that even when he was stuck in his time he was more than objectionable as his jokes were creepy.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:19 pm

fleahop wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:16 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:48 pm ...
Well that's disappointing but makes sense. They really need some sensitivity training or a person on staff to round those edges. Toriyama is stuck in a different time and beyond that even when he was stuck in his time he was more than objectionable as his jokes were creepy.
Near as I can recall from interviews it was the job at JUMP that got him out of the house in the first place.

Only to spend 18 hour days in a studio drawing.

He probably never spoke to many women, let alone frank women.
She/Her

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:55 pm

inb4 the defective fusion that appears is not fat gotenks, but actually morbidly malnourished gotenks
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kappa
Not Banned

Post by Kappa » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:13 pm

Yooo Goten and Trunks look awesome!! I can't wait to see this movie!

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Lol 😂 and some people outside of here thought I was insane not to look forward to this movie.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:29 pm

KentMan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:28 pm
Lol 😂 and some people outside of here thought I was insane not to look forward to this movie.
I'd like for you to clearly explain what exactly you are trying to say with this post. I do not want to misinterpret what you are saying because it sounds to me like you are saying people who criticize offensive story decisions are 'insane'.
She/Her

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:29 pm
KentMan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:28 pm
I'd like for you to clearly explain what exactly you are trying to say with this post. I do not want to misinterpret what you are saying because it sounds to me like you are saying people who criticize offensive story decisions are 'insane'.
*Confused*??? What? Offensive? I don’t know what you’re talking about? You might have to be more specific? But back to this move I know next to nothing about this plot. Other than the director and interviewer falling in love with an umbrella. Maybe they’re fans of Rhianna

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:53 pm

With Goten and Trunks missing the fusion we are heading to what they will become at the end of the original manga. Characters who don't train anymore and who won't have any skills except for chasing girls.

They just made these new chara-designs to show that they have grown up and that they will only have a secondary role very comic.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:58 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:53 pm With Goten and Trunks missing the fusion we are heading to what they will become at the end of the original manga. Characters who don't train anymore and who won't have any skills except for chasing girls.

They just made these new chara-designs to show that they have grown up and that they will only have a secondary role very comic.
Exactly I swear some just forget the End Of Z a lot and what happened to these Saiyan disappointments.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:30 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:55 pm inb4 the defective fusion that appears is not fat gotenks, but actually morbidly malnourished gotenks
Brownie points if the horribly malnourished Gottenks scares a girl that Goten or Trunks likes.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:34 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:53 pm With Goten and Trunks missing the fusion we are heading to what they will become at the end of the original manga. Characters who don't train anymore and who won't have any skills except for chasing girls.

Good. We don't need 5 Saiyans being main characters.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:46 pm

I mean to be fair the original use of the joke was that Buu was this morbidly obese blob that's power speed and general deadliness didn't match up to what visual assumptions that the fighters had, that when Goten and Trunks first fused into the fat Gotenks it was a double subversion that it was played straight for him - even having Yamcha assume it was a Buu like form at first to channel the strength.

It's just a joke in a joke laced series
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:48 pm
Skar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:36 pm There was also Yajirobe! At the time of his introduction, he was probably the strongest human without any formal training from the two main martial arts schools. I think he was the only one besides Goku to defeat any of King Piccolo's children.
He was also portrayed as an asshole and coward who was selfish and didn't care about others most of the time.

I've never really linked his cowardice and selfishness as being linked to his weight. I thought his selfishness was more that he'd basically lived like Goku out in the wild but didn't have the luxury of meeting someone like Bulma to change his worldview to one accepting of others. His appetite for food was no different to Goku's really at introduction. As for his cowardice it was used to make him saving everyone from Oozaru Vegeta more of a shock.

heck in OG dragonball many characters were selfish, Krillin was, Oolong was, Bulma was. Has nothing to do with a character being fat.

Also would say that Ribrianne clearly had fat jokes directed at her, that U7 find her very unattractive whilst U2 find her beautiful. I recall there being lines from Krillin and co in the stands, but in middle of battle Vegeta was grossed out by her in a ball launching at him.
Last edited by Krillin1994 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:37 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm They should've just made Dragon Ball Super: Coola instead of this. I've got a plot synopsis already:
Now, see, THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE AN INTERESTING PREMISE FOR A MOVIE. Toei, take notes. Tell me your thoughts on this hypothetical Coola story.
You know, even though I like Coola... this doesn't look interesting at all as it's the same stuff we got before. Don't mind me but I would'nt like a movie with this premise the same why I didn't enjoy Broly.

I mean you want me to swallow that Kaioshin and Beerus where not only incompetent to find Broly but also Coola in Universe 7? Also not only Freeza was able to reach God-tier doing a few push-ups, but he also has a brother who might be stronger than Jiren? That's just makes me feel :sick:

So yea, no bother having an actual Multiversal Threat, but make it another universe... and post EoZ so at least we can watch not thinking "oh they will be fine in a few years."
Grimlock wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:28 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:13 amGoten and Trunks have finally grown up, but what characters are people gonna complain about next?
If Marron and Bra don't age up, them.
I don't think they would be that asinine to finally age the Saiyan brats and not these two, if they not interested doing so, then better let the girls not show up at the movie.

Grimlock wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:37 pm
I'm happy for that after f**king 8 years of waiting, but too bad they still want to stick with that dumb blue hair retcon.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:59 pm

I will never understand peoples obsession with Goten and Trunks growing. But on this topic I feel like they did this so fans would get distracted and ask questions regarding the plot.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:29 am

Noah wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:37 pmI don't think they would be that asinine to finally age the Saiyan brats and not these two,
I think they would. Anything is possible.

Anyway, speaking of Marron, she is supposed to undergo a seriously major redesign in such a short time. She was stuck as a three-year-old kid for six years (from Majin Buu saga until Universe Survival saga, the latter which I think it was the last time we saw her on-screen). And now, if we take her birth year as AGE 771, she's eleven years old by the time Movie 2 takes place.

She spent most of her life as a baby only for now being expected to at least be a bit taller than Kuririn in just two years. I don't think the "oh but it's fiction" argument could explain this fucked up situation.

Though her absence from this movie will not sit well with me, I'll try to let it slide if we come to learn it was their intention to show her as a freaking baby, despite being a pre-teen who didn't get her father's dwarfism. We can see Marron and Kuririn sitting next to each other, even in that position, she is taller than him by that point.

I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~