Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:13 am

dva_raza wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:26 am LOL!

Yeah feels unusual for DB and that's the very thing I love about this. Not sure why the negativity from most.. Feels interesting, special, fresh to me.

Imagine Goku (and you) getting this new discovery so many years later. Why is that bad?
There really hasn't been anything like that for him at all since maybe Namek and it seems like a great time for it.
It's not bad. It's Goku finally learning about his parents, there's absolutely nothing bad about that. It's the piece that was missing to his character development, an opportunity to give Goku something more to work and expand on. There's nothing bad about that, quite the contrary, it is indeed something special and interesting, as you say.

This is one of very few good things that came out of Dragon Ball Super and people are against it? That is bad. We finally have someone with the balls to bring this subject up and depict such event in some official capacity. It's something that should've already happened by the author himself, but if Toriyama doesn't (want to) do it, someone else will (thank Dende).
dva_raza wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:26 amI also like the parents' scene in the Broly movie, a lot,
Best part of that movie! :thumbup:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:58 am

It depends on the execution, as always.

Thematically, Goku having good parents is far less interesting than what we were originally led to believe, but it also arguably opens up more opportunities for the character in case he finds out the truth.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:04 am

Goku learning about Bardock is such a non-issue, especially compared to the "softening" of Bardock. We don't even know what Goku will do with that information.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 am

I couldn't care less about Bardock in any of his incarnations but what I'm most curious about is the follow up, that's really where the money is. Goku officially learns about his parents, okay now what? They've been dead for decades and to say he's leagues above them in the strength department would be an understatement, so they have nothing to teach him sooooooooo??? Yay Bardock?! Yay SS Bardock?! Do we really need that?

And people used to say Z-Broly was overrated.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 am I couldn't care less about Bardock in any of his incarnations but what I'm most curious about is the follow up, that's really where the money is. Goku officially learns about his parents, okay now what? They've been dead for decades and to say he's leagues above them in the strength department would be an understatement, so they have nothing to teach him sooooooooo??? Yay Bardock?! Yay SS Bardock?! Do we really need that?

They've been leaning into the idea that Goku is adopting more and more of his Saiyan nature into his personality as the series goes on, so it's likely that Goku will learn to value some kind of trait due to Bardock's battle with Gas. Perhaps brutality or ruthlessness in battle.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 am

This chapter had me rolling just from the summary

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:14 am

Let me guess, they find out how to defeat Gas, they do it, and the arc (or chapter) ends with Goku looking at the sky with silhouettes of Bardock and Gine, and Goku says "thanks dad" lol.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:24 am

This doesn't feel like Dragon Ball... honestly I don't like it... the real one, if not the only Paternal figure, was Grandpa Gohan when he was a child and later Roshi.... when he was an adult
this is only FS ... and done
It is not development, this is very out of character ... it was the same goku who remenber the death of his grandfather for his fault and simply continued with the battle

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:44 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:24 am
This doesn't feel like Dragon Ball... honestly I don't like it... the real one, if not the only Paternal figure, was Grandpa Gohan when he was a child and later Roshi.... when he was an adult
It is not development, this is very out of character ... it was the same goku who remenber the death of his grandfather for his fault and simply continued with the battle
What is out of character? Getting his memory jogged? That's not related to character.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:49 am

Dragon Ball is so many different things and has been so many different things for thirty-eight years at this point, I don't know how we can even begin to quantify what "feels like Dragon Ball".
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:51 am

Goku remembering his father, a character who was pretty significant in his own right in the original Dragon Ball story...does not feel like Dragon Ball?
Do you just say weird out-of-place buzzwords whenever you see something in the manga you don't like?

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:44 am
What is out of character? Getting his memory jogged? That's not related to character.
It shows that they are trying to make him look sentimental, they even want to make him look like he's crying... getting like that for people that he really doesn't know ... no something Goku would do, that's something Naruto do

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:06 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:51 am
Goku remembering his father, a character who was pretty significant in his own right in the original Dragon Ball story...does not feel like Dragon Ball?
Do you just say weird out-of-place buzzwords whenever you see something in the manga you don't like?
What will goku remember the 2 years he was in a breathing capsule? anyway i'm talking about goku's reaction

read what you write .... because you are literally not saying anything coherent ..

i'm saying goku remembering and getting sentimental for people he doesn't know doesn't feel like dragon ball or anything goku would do

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:15 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:06 am
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:51 am
What will goku remember the 2 years he was in a breathing capsule? anyway i'm talking about goku's reaction

read what you write .... because you are literally not saying anything coherent ..

i'm saying goku remembering and getting sentimental for people he doesn't know doesn't feel like dragon ball or anything goku would do
Not being coherent? Claiming something as basic as remembering a suppressed memory doesn't feel like Dragon Ball seems pretty nonsensical itself, especially since you also assume Goku is being sentimental about his parents.
Even if Goku "conveniently" remembering bardock is technically implausible...Dragon Ball always had implausible moments like that.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:16 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 am
It shows that they are trying to make him look sentimental, they even want to make him look like he's crying... getting like that for people that he really doesn't know ... no something Goku would do, that's something Naruto do
No, they're making him look surprised, like "oh shit, I remember!".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:17 am

Perhaps it's because my life experiences have taught me to accept change but...things change. Dragon Ball changes. Art changes. People change. I'm not sure how this is a surprise or something that we should reject. Even during the eleven years that the 1984 comic was created Dragon Ball changed. Heck, even in the modern era Dragon Ball has continued to change.

There was a point where Gokuu would never cry. Then Kuririn died. There was a point where Gokuu would never be an adult and a father. Then Chapter #196 happened.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:19 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:16 am
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 am
No, they're making him look surprised, like "oh shit, I remember!".
no, bright eyes reflect that

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:22 am

Yuji wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 am I couldn't care less about Bardock in any of his incarnations but what I'm most curious about is the follow up, that's really where the money is. Goku officially learns about his parents, okay now what? They've been dead for decades and to say he's leagues above them in the strength department would be an understatement, so they have nothing to teach him sooooooooo??? Yay Bardock?! Yay SS Bardock?! Do we really need that?

They've been leaning into the idea that Goku is adopting more and more of his Saiyan nature into his personality as the series goes on, so it's likely that Goku will learn to value some kind of trait due to Bardock's battle with Gas. Perhaps brutality or ruthlessness in battle.
He’s already a proud Saiyan for the most part though, him adopting a mean streak and becoming a pseudo savage would butcher his character. One of the key components of Goku’s charm is his weird selfish/unselfish approach to fighting and life in general right? His natural love of battle has often put he and his friends in tight spots but even in their worst moments he never aims to kill unless he absolutely has no choice and because of that he often wins people over. If you take that way then he’s no longer Goku.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:26 am

Toyo-tarou being a shitty artist aside, it's pretty clear from the visual language being used that Gokuu is having a moment where he is remembering a memory from a distant past.
She/Her
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:29 am

Would Goku crying if he remembered Bardock even be out of character? Like, is there actually anything in past work that would contradict that?