Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:59 pm

For all intents and purposes, I'd treat such minute differences as basically a nonfactor in determining any real difference in power.

Like Toppo being compared with Golden Freeza and SSB, Ultimate Piccolo is basically a peer to Ultimate Gohan.

And hey, this stuff fits with my notion that current Ultimate Gohan and 17 are around as strong as SSG over really being that close to SSB.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:19 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:59 pm For all intents and purposes, I'd treat such minute differences as basically a nonfactor in determining any real difference in power.

Like Toppo being compared with Golden Freeza and SSB, Ultimate Piccolo is basically a peer to Ultimate Gohan.

And hey, this stuff fits with my notion that current Ultimate Gohan and 17 are around as strong as SSG over really being that close to SSB.
Even after the narrator said Gohan rivaled Goku in episode 90?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:02 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:19 pm
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:59 pm For all intents and purposes, I'd treat such minute differences as basically a nonfactor in determining any real difference in power.

SSG is supposed to rival some gods of destruction, so this verbatim is not an acknowledgment that they are exactly as strong as each other. More like Gohan isn’t a total pushover in comparison to god level warriors, he is scratching that realm.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:09 pm

Yeah, both SSG and SSB has been said to be "rivaling the gods", though we know SSG is more or less nothing compared to a full fledged God of Destruction.

So... yeah.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:11 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:02 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:19 pm

SSG is supposed to rival some gods of destruction, so this verbatim is not an acknowledgment that they are exactly as strong as each other. More like Gohan isn’t a total pushover in comparison to god level warriors, he is scratching that realm.
But the gap is massive between SSG and SSB. If Gohan is SSG tier then he isn't rivaling anything.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:22 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:11 pm But the gap is massive between SSG and SSB. If Gohan is SSG tier then he isn't rivaling anything.
Well, the gap between SSG and gods of destruction is even bigger and that doesn’t stop them of using this description. Apparently, it isn’t as massive as it looks.

By the way, where I can find those wafer stickers? For research purpose.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:29 pm

If these waffers are anything to go by, and Gohan is now SSG tier, I wonder how will Toyo adapt to this... he had Gohan fight Kefla on even grounds, and she is supposed to be SSB level, being half Kale and all.

Toei can probably get away with the ToP, Gohan was never on par with any Blue tier, so you could make a case of him being on a really high SSG level.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Having now already seen each set of cards, this is what it looks like they place each character between SSG tier and SSB tier in order of strength:

SSB Goku (ToP) - 8,300
Hit (ToP) - 8,200
Golden Frieza (ToP) - 8,100 to 8,200
SSR Black - 8,100
SSJ Rage Future Trunks - 8,000
SSG Goku (BoG and ToP) - 7,700 to 7,800
Ultimate Piccolo - 7,700
Ultimate Gohan (Super Hero) - 7,600
Gamma 1 and Gamma 2 - 7,500
Base Anilaza - 7,500 (Note that this is Base Anilaza, the one that didn't have wings and only fought a tired SSG Goku, SSJ Vegeta, Base Frieza, Ultimate Gohan, Androids 17 and 18. Anilaza powered up with his wings, and at that moment Goku, Vegeta and Frieza turned SSB and Golden, then the beam clash happened. There's no card for Anilaza with wings, but if it existed, it should logically be above the SSBs and Golden Frieza.)
Ultimate Gohan (ToP) - 7,400
Android 17 (ToP) - 7,000 (Other cards place him between 6,200 to 6,500, which are during his figths against weaker fighters like from Universe 2, but this 7,000 is specifically during his fight with Jiren and Universe 11.)
LSSJ Kale - 7,000
SSJ3 Goku (Generally) - 6,000

But we should also remember that the cards should only be compared to each other if they come from the same set.

Hugo Boss wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:22 pm By the way, where I can find those wafer stickers? For research purpose.
If you mean the original ones, I managed to find this link on the Dragon Ball Website. It's a site that has every set of cards.
https://www.bandai.co.jp/candy/dragonball/wafer/

If you mean the new ones, they can be found on Twitter.
Last edited by dragonball0900 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:32 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:22 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:11 pm But the gap is massive between SSG and SSB. If Gohan is SSG tier then he isn't rivaling anything.
Well, the gap between SSG and gods of destruction is even bigger and that doesn’t stop them of using this description. Apparently, it isn’t as massive as it looks.

By the way, where I can find those wafer stickers? For research purpose.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:45 pm

More cards are revealed.

https://www.bandai.co.jp/candy/products ... 79000.html

Ultimate Piccolo is the strongest here, not counting LSSJ Broly and SSB Gogeta. He is also placed as stronger than RoF SSB tier at least, with Ultimate Gohan being placed around that tier.

Base Gohan is placed as weaker than Piccolo, but Base Goku and Base Vegeta are placed as stronger than them.

There are quite a few things that are wrong though. It seems weird that Krillin is stronger than Base Goten and Trunks (in fact, Base Goten and Trunks are placed as weaker than some early DBZ movie characters).

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:00 pm

Wow, Gohan getting blown up in his own starring role, huh?

I have a hard time imagining the movie will actually demonstrate Piccolo to be noticeably stronger, but...

At any rate, wafer cards are going to wafer card, but I guess we can at least take this as a bit of ancillary merch to back up that Piccolo's new form puts him in the ambiguous God-to-Blue tier. Which I think most people might have guessed anyway, but that's nice. Especially after all the hemming and hawing about what was or wasn't implied about his strength in the Moro arc.

(Using that scale, I'd probably put manga ToP Gohan around the 8,100 mark.)

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:21 pm

dragonball0900 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:45 pm More cards are revealed.

Ultimate Piccolo is the strongest here, not counting LSSJ Broly and SSB Gogeta. He is also placed as stronger than RoF SSB tier at least, with Ultimate Gohan being placed around that tier.

Base Gohan is placed as weaker than Piccolo, but Base Goku and Base Vegeta are placed as stronger than them.

There are quite a few things that are wrong though. It seems weird that Krillin is stronger than Base Goten and Trunks (in fact, Base Goten and Trunks are placed as weaker than some early DBZ movie characters).
Well, Krillin trains with 18 so I have no issue with him surpassing base Goten and Trunks.

It's nice to see that Gohan and Piccolo are indeed Blue tier based on that card set.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:34 pm

dragonball0900 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:54 pmThe card for SSJ Gohan (or SSJ2 Gohan, not sure which form Gohan uses in the trailer)
According to Dragon Ball Heroes and the image below, it's going to be Super Saiyan. No merchandising so far has shown him as Super Saiyan 2 (which is unfortunate).

One have to wonder about the name convention they are going for Ultimate Piccolo, though. They are calling him by all names except "Ultimate". It only appears for Gohan. Even if Piccolo gets this transformation by another way, the name should be the same, shouldn't it?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

CortoMaltese

Post by CortoMaltese » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:56 am

If we take the last cards sets, seems the gap between SS3 and GOD is minor compared to SSGOD and SSBLUE.
The recent cards have several Goku SSJ3 (Z) between 7300 and 7400 and Ultimate Gohan (Z) à 7400.
Trunks and Vegeta GOD at 7600 and Goku GOD at 7700.
When Goku Blue is at 8300.

So clearly take them with a grain of salt.
But it's still great to have Gohan and Piccolo as strong as Goku and Vegeta SSGOD (from DBS Broly).
Base vegeta is now at 5200 (5100 in DBS Broly).
So it's pretty possible to have him a bit stronger than Piccolo, like 7800 (like Goku God in one set).

BUT I THINK ABSOLUTELY EVERY GOHAN'S FAN WILL HATE THE FACT HE'S WEAKER THAN PICCOLO.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:10 am

Maybe Gohan will have a further power up in the movie?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:20 am

Will the secret card be Super Hero related?

CortoMaltese

Post by CortoMaltese » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:45 am

sigmasigma wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:20 am Will the secret card be Super Hero related?
If you click on the link, you can see 4 sets of cards :

1 and 2 for DBS SUPERHERO.
3 and 4 for old movies (DB and DBZ).
You can clearly see that the secret card is on the last one (4), next to Kid Goku.
So that's seems unlikely....

If you know Baggie Saiyan on twitter, the guy follow DB and know a lot of thing about DB Merch.
And he compared the marketing of FNF, DBS BROLY and DBS SUPER HERO.
He was the only one to confirm Goku and Vegeta will stay in base form and it was a Long Time ago....
And he say that no surprise has to come for SUPER HERO.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:43 am

CortoMaltese wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:56 am If we take the last cards sets, seems the gap between SS3 and GOD is minor compared to SSGOD and SSBLUE.
The recent cards have several Goku SSJ3 (Z) between 7300 and 7400 and Ultimate Gohan (Z) à 7400.
Trunks and Vegeta GOD at 7600 and Goku GOD at 7700.
When Goku Blue is at 8300.

So clearly take them with a grain of salt.
But it's still great to have Gohan and Piccolo as strong as Goku and Vegeta SSGOD (from DBS Broly).
Base vegeta is now at 5200 (5100 in DBS Broly).
So it's pretty possible to have him a bit stronger than Piccolo, like 7800 (like Goku God in one set).

BUT I THINK ABSOLUTELY EVERY GOHAN'S FAN WILL HATE THE FACT HE'S WEAKER THAN PICCOLO.
Gohan has been stronger than Piccolo for over 2 decades. They will survive just like we did.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:02 pm

As someone who never bought the notion that Piccolo was God+ tier in the Moro arc, I think his new form is a good way to show that he's definitely hanging in that category now.

About time, really.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm

Yeah, consider me on that camp as well. They even made a sticker for the weakened version of Golden Freeza, so that we can have an idea of how strong Piccolo and Gohan will be. Super Saiyan Blue tier finally. Possibly still missing the final villain and Gohan’s next evolution.

On a side note, it’s incredible that Goten and Trunks are weaker than Krillin, Kid Gohan and Garlick Jr. lol. And they made Base Goku and Base Vegeta stronger than two Super Saiyans from Android Arc. Interesting.