Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:21 pm

Goku getting a new UI form just because he remembered his parents has to be one of the most idiotic things I have seen.

Then again this is the same guy that had Goku get UI from a simple pet talk by Roshi.

:thumbdown:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:23 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:19 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:13 pm He was talking about Z Bardock. Which Toriyama included in his manga.
Again, the special is a completely different continuity. Toriyama had no involvement in Z Bardock beyond the character design, and the interview makes it very clear that he's specifically referring to his own conception of the character in Minus (hence his mention of Gine).

He's not stronger than Nappa.
I don't think you get it. The guy I was responding to was talking about Z Bardock. You keep mentioning Minus.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:27 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:21 pm Goku getting a new UI form just because he remembered his parents has to be one of the most idiotic things I have seen.

Then again this is the same guy that had Goku get UI from a simple pet talk by Roshi.

You made that all up, and then got upset at your idea lol.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:33 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:21 pm Goku getting a new UI form just because he remembered his parents has to be one of the most idiotic things I have seen.
Posts like this don't contribute to the discussion. There is no "new UI form" "just" because Goku remembered his parents.

The point of Whis's dialogue is more about Goku understanding where he comes from and being fully in touch with that, which understandably would relate to mastering Ultra Instinct. Knowing his heritage is naturally part of that.
OLKv3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:23 pm I don't think you get it. The guy I was responding to was talking about Z Bardock.
I thought that by "he", you were referring to Toriyama. My bad!
Last edited by Mr Baggins on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:35 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:27 pm

You made that all up, and then got upset at your idea lol.
Don't you know that Dragon Ball fans have the special ability of predicting what will happen in future manga chapters/anime episodes? It's Ultra Instinct for Weeaboos!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:40 pm

Goku mentioning Raditz is a nice touch. It's not everyday we see a Dragon Ball character mentioning a relative out of nowhere, but it's always good when it rarely and finally happens. I thought Goku had forgotten about him at this point.

I always wanted to know a plausible and good way to make Goku remember his parents, but I never managed to find that good way. Using audio log recorded in the scouter is simple but so genius. The answer was there, right in front of me. Granted, it couldn't have been used if we were talking about Bardock TV Special, as Goku was a newborn back then, but in Dragon Ball Minus where Goku was two-and-a-half years old, it makes more sense. :clap:

Here's to another eternity waiting for the next chapter. Hopefully this saga is animated as soon as possible, more of Bardock and Goku learning about his parents can't be stuck in black and white pages forever.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:52 pm

Pretty good chapter which is nice especially considering the trajectory of this arc has been heading downwards for the past several months. Some things that were interesting and have been mentioned so far:
  • The fish didn't know who Gas was which means that he's probably not the strongest warrior in the universe, that leaves the trio of Goku, Vegeta and Granola.
  • Goku remembering his parents was pretty cool and its refreshing to see him grow a little as a character.
  • The entire mastering your own version of UI to me seems that Goku will work on the impulse of surviving opposite to Vegeta's ultra ego which works on getting beaten up before kicking ass. Does this mean a new form? probably, but who knows we gotta wait and see.
  • Elec will definitely be the final enemy of this arc I reckon, he might betray Gas and the others in some way.
Looking forward to the next chapter hopefully its as good as this one was.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Great chapter all around, GOOD JOB Toyotaro ! What took you so long ? :clap:
Toyotaro has greatly upgraded his skill with the past chapter fight, less panel overall, better angle and most importantly, more stuff happening. :thumbup:
Gas being fast enough to cross space faster than spaceship is a nice power consistency along with Elec admitting the other two wouldn't hope to stand against Goku even if he was beat up.
Bardock's presence is only the icing on an already delicious cake. Don't disappoint us Toyo !
*Chef's kiss*

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Absolutely the best chapter in a long while. Goku leading Gas away and then teleporting back really quickly in succession through all the previous links in the chain was a genuinely great idea to buy time.

Gas seems way more delusional than I anticipated. Him saying things like "Elec's will is absolute" seems a bit overboard considering Gas has already voiced his frustration with Elec in the past, telling him he should have let him fight Granolah etc. Interesting that Gas says he once was the weakest of them all.

I'm really curious more than ever re: how Bardock beat Gas. It's been hyped up for so long that I hope it isn't underwhelming (but also not something silly like Bardock having his own Saiyan brand of ultra instinct etc)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 82:

- The planet jumping fight was incredibly fun. Felt like something Toriyama would do. And I grinned widely with the Monaka cameo. I thought I'd never see him and wonderfully big nipples again.

- I don't care for the toilet humour. At all. It's the low hanging fruit of comedy. Didn't laugh once at the pee jokes. Maybe it's because I'm British, and as a result, I was born with a preference for dry humour.

- Nice Raditz callback.

- Goku could have more than 20 minutes because Gas would find if Whis kept his big mouth shut. Seriously, what was up with him pointing Gas in the right direction?

- The Bardock/Gas stuff just does nothing for me because I find bother characters in this arc to be painfully uninteresting for me. I've gone into detail about the issues I have with Minus/Super Bardock so I'm not going to repeat them, but I find the idea of Goku remembering Bardock telling Goku to keep himself safe before seeing him to Earth acting as a possible catalyst for Goku attaining a unique version of Ultra Instinct so fucking awful. That's the kind of glurge, revoltingly sentimental, trite shit you'd see in other shonen manga like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and all the rest. I hope that's not the case.

Overall thoughts... the most interesting chapter for MANY months.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pm

I loved this one!
It's so funny while also serious, Goku is messing with Gas, exploiting his only weakness: inexperience.
The pee jokes and Monaka throwing manure-ish on Gas. Then jumping into the kings' bathtub. It all works. Going to Whis, expecting Gas to go all Broly on him, and then ditching him, lol. And Whis planting that comm on Goku lol.

I'm glad Oatmeel's involvement wasn't just GETTING MONAITO TO THE BATTLEFIELD, this makes much more sense, and I'm satisfied with it. Toyo said it was going to play a big part and that it wasn't just an eyepatch. It's a little robot, kinda like GT's Giru, and it's the key to bridge Goku and Bardock. Boy, did he deliver.
Goku's reaction to Bardock's voice and phrasing literally gave me chills. This is good, this also lights up the rather boring and needless Minus and the retconning of Goku's origin, good work Toyo. Now I'm on board with the changes.

I doubt Bardock is turning SS, that has to be one of the dumbest fan theories I've heard.
I also doubt Goku is getting a new UI form, as in a new recolor. I think it's still going to be silver, but who knows. Being just his base form would be great, it could be definitely be a possibility, but I like the silver form, what can I say?
Elecc might turn on Gas, we still don't know the details of the wish, and Goku has already foreshadowed fraticide.

Agreed about his relationship to this biological origins being what is missing in his training in order to come full circle and be able to not struggle anymore with the technique. It'd make sense.

Also, Monaito calling Goku "hey, Baa-daku no muzuko" made me chuckle. It reminds me of Beerus calling Gohan "Goku no muzuko".

Too bad we spent like 3 months with repetitive and exteneded fights that could've been told in less time.
The Vegeta-Granolah fight now feels like it belongs to another arc, though.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pm

When I talk about certain story aspects of DBZ I tend to avoid talking about power levels because, as a abridged character once said:

"POWER LEVELS ARE BULLSHIT!"

Instead I'm talking about the story mechanics and how I feel like the implication that Bardock was always special cheapens Goku's own emotional journey throughout the franchise. Basically, I get iffy when things like "Destiny" get thrown about because it seems like a lazy way of showing the reason why a specific character is so powerful. Essentially, I like Goku's character that his origin story really isn't that special--he got that way through hardwork and being a tenacious fuck. And even with the reveal that he's an alien, how I think the story handles it makes it never feel like a narrative short cut. Yeah, he's a saiyan but he's low class. Which makes him stick it to Vegeta and Freeza all that satisifying.

It just doesn't sit well if they are indeed going down a path of "Well, Goku is special because Bardock is special." It's an overused trope that I don't think adds anything to the character.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:13 pm
- Goku could have more than 20 minutes because Gas would find if Whis kept his big mouth. Seriously, what was up with him pointing Gas in the right direction?
I actually enjoyed this aspect. A common complaint about Whis is that him and Beerus remove all tension whenever they appear so I like Goku relying on Whis to keep Gas busy actually backfiring on him, especially considering that Whis is meant to be neutral.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Great chapter. Goku styling all over Gas was really fun and it was nice to see the Galactic Emperor guy again.

I'm not really looking forward to more Bardock next chapter, but hopefully its a short flashback. The squid aliens were cool too.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:24 pm
- Goku could have more than 20 minutes because Gas would find if Whis kept his big mouth. Seriously, what was up with him pointing Gas in the right direction?
I actually enjoyed this aspect. A common complaint about Whis is that him and Beerus remove all tension whenever they appear so I like Goku relying on Whis to keep Gas busy actually backfiring on him, especially considering that Whis is meant to be neutral.
Yeah, he is neutral, what would be neutral about stalling a ningen to help another one he likes more? he is not wired that way.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:28 pm

Like I said before...Beerus and especially Whis are largely neutral about this. They don't care because none of this really effects them. They absolutely have affection for Goku and his friends, but as of now, they see no real reasons to step in and be active. Whis' entire reaction is someone who is greatly amused by the going ons of Goku an seems more likely to just watch and see what happens.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:32 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pmIt just doesn't sit well if they are indeed going down a path of "Well, Goku is special because Bardock is special." It's an overused trope that I don't think adds anything to the character.
I think this not only takes away unique aspects of Goku's character but also devalues themes in the original story
- Goku could have more than 20 minutes because Gas would find if Whis kept his big mouth shut. Seriously, what was up with him pointing Gas in the right direction?
The whole of being neutral is you stay the fuck out of the conflicts. You don't play both sides if you're a neutral party. Whis is a radical centrist piece of shit.

Gas never even asked Whis directly about where Goku was and he still pointed him in the right direction.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:32 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:28 pm
Like I said before...Beerus and especially Whis are largely neutral about this. They don't care because none of this really effects them. They absolutely have affection for Goku and his friends, but as of now, they see no real reasons to step in and be active. Whis' entire reaction is someone who is greatly amused by the going ons of Goku an seems more likely to just watch and see what happens.
I think whis also thinks that Gas coming back to fight Goku would help Goku achieve a new level of UI

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:40 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:32 pm I think whis also thinks that Gas coming back to fight Goku would help Goku achieve a new level of UI
This is it. He's pushing his student, but also Gas is not good company and he wants to get back to his dessert.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:42 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:40 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:32 pm I think whis also thinks that Gas coming back to fight Goku would help Goku achieve a new level of UI
This is it. He's pushing his student, but also Gas is not good company and he wants to get back to his dessert.
Yeah, that was the impression I got. Not really "radical centrism", just pragmatism.