Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:32 am

I guess for Pokemon, people's perception aren't exactly helped with the international dubs being produced in an outdated and more loose form of adaptation, combined with corny voice work and jokes that would only appeal either to young kids or highly ironic anime fans, alongside the fact that they rarely show the original versions for international release which deters those who prefer an uncut version, so to speak.

Of course, those are small potatoes compared to the number of episodes in the anime and the fanbase just growing up and playing the games, not bothering with the anime as much, if at all. In the end, as mentioned over and over, the games are the main sell the franchise, with merchandising following suit.

But to get back to Dragon Ball for a moment, if the list is to be trusted, I guess one could say that. Then again, it might be due to the power of the fans that generation to help stabilise its popularity, even though the franchise had quite the gap between each of its main series. AMVs, Flash animations using Dragon Ball sound effects, the Western rise of popularity and its onslaught of video games helped make the franchise a viable property in the 2000s after all, to where a live action movie is made. No matter how much people hated it, it made Toriyama so angry that he became involved in Battle of Gods, and the successor, and we all know how that turned out thanks to Crunchyoll ratings and how well it performed. No matter the quality of the show itself or its competitors, I believe its simplicity might have helped the franchise become so engrained in pop culture. I have a feeling a random guy at least has heard of a Goku or a Kamehameha, for instance.

On the other hand, if you ask most young people, they'd probably be more familiar talking about Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Tokyo Revengers, etc., and find the franchise either too long and overwhelming or, in its worse case, boring or even outdated. Heck, the number of people in the younger generation in this forum alone could clue you in on this. It's box office is dominated by Demon Slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen, one of the biggest franchises right now. Plus the fanbase being stereotyped as power scaling freaks and near cult devotion towards Goku does not help matters. So it's hard for me to truly say that without hesitating or regretting it a little.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:23 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:43 pmHowever, Pokemon didn't really define an entire genre
Neither did Dragon Ball. Comedy and fantasy martial arts were both quite established by 1984.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am

Zephyr wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:23 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:43 pmHowever, Pokemon didn't really define an entire genre
Neither did Dragon Ball. Comedy and fantasy martial arts were both quite established by 1984.
I guess the countless content creators from various mediums siting Dragon Ball as inspiration for their work is just a fever dream then.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:35 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am I guess the countless content creators from various mediums siting Dragon Ball as inspiration for their work is just a fever dream then.
You really seem to have dug yourself into a preconception hole, looking for ways to bury yourself in, while others continuously throw ropes down to pull you out.

(I don't know if that metaphor works at all, but it's how I imagine you.)

Are you just completely unaware of all the other collect-a-monster franchises and games out there...? There was a lot of contemporary thinking/design going on at the same time as Pokemon (similar to, say, tournament shonen of the day), but Pokemon's influence is undeniable. Temtem alone as a direct parallel is massive, and that's to say nothing else of all the other influences and spiritual successor/knock-offs.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:39 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am
I guess the countless content creators from various mediums siting Dragon Ball as inspiration for their work is just a fever dream then.
Dragon Ball being influential is not the same thing as Dragon Ball "defining a genre".

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:57 am

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:35 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am I guess the countless content creators from various mediums siting Dragon Ball as inspiration for their work is just a fever dream then.
You really seem to have dug yourself into a preconception hole, looking for ways to bury yourself in, while others continuously throw ropes down to pull you out.

(I don't know if that metaphor works at all, but it's how I imagine you.)

Are you just completely unaware of all the other collect-a-monster franchises and games out there...? There was a lot of contemporary thinking/design going on at the same time as Pokemon (similar to, say, tournament shonen of the day), but Pokemon's influence is undeniable. Temtem alone as a direct parallel is massive, and that's to say nothing else of all the other influences and spiritual successor/knock-offs.
Temtem isn't doing crazy numbers and all the other knockoffs went away as soon as they came.

Most of the Dragon Ball "clones" are highly popular and successful in their own rights, especially One Piece and Naruto.

It isn't just anime and manga either. Athletes were inspired by Dragon Ball. Video game developers were inspired by it (particularly Street Fighter and Tekken). It's influence is even felt with western animation (more story-driven cartoons came around since DBZ took the west by storm).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:14 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:57 am
(particularly Street Fighter and Tekken).
The first Street Fighter game came out in 1987 and began development when Dragon Ball was only a thought in Toriyama's brain. It's primary influence were the same things that influenced Dragon Ball to begin with.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:35 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:14 am
The first Street Fighter game came out in 1987 and began development when Dragon Ball was only a thought in Toriyama's brain. It's primary influence were the same things that influenced Dragon Ball to begin with.
Bingo.

I really should just make this gif my permanent avatar on here and be done with it at this point, huh? :lol:

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am
By this logic, so were the countless hundreds/thousands of movies, TV shows, books, and comics that inspired Dragon Ball. Those were all a fevered imagination as well then I guess: Dragon Ball invented and defined fantasy martial arts mixed with comedy completely from wholecloth and came from a vacuum because Toriyama is THAT much of a singular genius.

No one had ever read, seen, or heard of any of the works of Wu Cheng'en, Jin Yong, King Hu, Gu Long, Wang Dulu, Tsui Hark, Chor Yuen, Wong Yuk-Long, Ma Wing-shing, etc. Those were all completely invisible and non-existent for the entirety of the 20th century and had zero impact or imprint whatsoever on Asian pop culture.

Because as we all know, the anime and video games that Shonen nerds of the 2000s and 2010s are primarily into singularly define and embody ALL of art and media across the globe not just now, but for all of history past and present.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:43 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:35 pm By this logic, so were the countless hundreds/thousands of movies, TV shows, books, and comics that inspired Dragon Ball. Those were all a fevered imagination as well then I guess: Dragon Ball invented and defined fantasy martial arts mixed with comedy completely from wholecloth and came from a vacuum because Toriyama is THAT much of a singular genius.

No one had ever read, seen, or heard of any of the works of Wu Cheng'en, Jin Yong, King Hu, Gu Long, Wang Dulu, Tsui Hark, Chor Yuen, Wong Yuk-Long, Ma Wing-shing, etc. Those were all completely invisible and non-existent for the entirety of the 20th century and had zero impact or imprint whatsoever on Asian pop culture.

Because as we all know, the anime and video games that Shonen nerds of the 2000s and 2010s are primarily into singularly define and embody ALL of art and media across the globe not just now, but for all of history past and present.
Doesn't matter how you get to the pot of gold. All that matters is that you beat the leprechauns.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:59 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:43 pmDoesn't matter how you get to the pot of gold. All that matters is that you beat the leprechauns.
What exactly is the "pot of gold" in this little analogy of yours, and who are the leprechauns?

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:59 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:43 pmDoesn't matter how you get to the pot of gold. All that matters is that you beat the leprechauns.
What exactly is the "pot of gold" in this little analogy of yours, and who are the leprechauns?
The point is Dragon Ball became a basic template for many other works in the media. Doesn't matter if it wasn't the first of its kind, it still resonated with people in ways those other titles didn't.

Matter of fact, Dragon Ball wasn't directly influenced by Hokuto No Ken or Kinnikuman, which pretty much started the whole "Battle Manga" formula. He only went the battle manga route because Kazuhiko Torishima told him to.

Toriyama's main influences were Disney, kung fu, and sci-fi films.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pm.

Other than the general manga art style being inspired by old Disney movies (which is in no way specific to Toriyama) where are you getting Disney as a main influence? There's the Bibbidi Bobbodi Boo thing but other than that?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pmThe point is Dragon Ball became a basic template for many other works in the media. Doesn't matter if it wasn't the first of its kind, it still resonated with people in ways those other titles didn't.
Dragon Ball primarily became the template for a bunch of Shonen manga that followed in its wake (like Naruto, One Piece, etc.), and a few other random odds and ends of anime/manga and probably video game media here and there. But... so the fuck what? Who gives a shit?

Is the point you're making that because DB influenced more media that (and I cannot stress this enough) you personally are familiar with (i.e. late 90s and 2000s Shonen manga/anime and some video games) that it is what, somehow more "valuable" in some nebulously vague way than anything else that influenced DB before it?

Yes, many Shonen manga authors in the wake of DB cite DB as being especially influential to them: yeah, again, so what? What about this makes DB inherently "better" in some generically non-descript way than other things that came before it? Or is "better" not even the right word for me to use here? What exactly is it that you're trying to express or gauge here?

Furthermore, since its primarily Shonen manga and anime that overwhelmingly cite DB as their main influence: what is it about Shonen manga and anime that makes them inherently more valued than other forms of media? Like books? Live action film and TV? Music? Hell, any form of comic book or animation (anime and manga, or non-Japanese entirely) aimed at people older than 12? What does DB being ruler of the roost among specifically Japanese comic books and cartoons for children mean exactly on a broader scale for broader forms of art and why should anyone who isn't into Japanese children's media as a broader whole even give two shits?

In short: what exactly is your point even supposed to be outside of "DB influenced a lot of other kids' comics and cartoons in Japan" (which means all of jack shit to anyone who doesn't give a crap about Japanese kids' media, which is like... a LOT of fucking people)?

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pmMatter of fact, Dragon Ball wasn't directly influenced by Hokuto No Ken or Kinnikuman, which pretty much started the whole "Battle Manga" formula. He only went the battle manga route because Kazuhiko Torishima told him to.
And guess what? You know what manga/anime Torishima pointed directly to when he suggested that Toriyama go in a more serious/fight-focused route? Fist of the North Star. So yeah: Fist of the North Star was MASSIVELY influential on DB even if you think it all originally came from Torishima more than Toriyama: Torishima was using HnK as one of his primary examples.

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pmToriyama's main influences were Disney,

One random name pun reference in the very last arc of the manga-proper hardly counts as a "main influence". Like, at all.

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pmkung fu,
Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:35 pmany of the works of Wu Cheng'en, Jin Yong, King Hu, Gu Long, Wang Dulu, Tsui Hark, Chor Yuen, Wong Yuk-Long, Ma Wing-shing, etc.
Things I learned from this thread: Wu Cheng'en, Tsui Hark, Jin Yong, etc. are all a bunch of guys who are apparently most known primarily for their masterful cooking recipes and expansive baseball card collections and not some of the most important, groundbreaking, wildly popular, and generationally everlasting kung fu fantasy fiction across both Asian culture and the world in general. :crazy:

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pmand sci-fi films.
Totally not generic and nonspecific at all! Like saying "George Lucas was influenced by the action-adventure genre when he made Star Wars".

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pm
The point is Dragon Ball became a basic template for many other works in the media. Doesn't matter if it wasn't the first of its kind, it still resonated with people in ways those other titles didn't.

Matter of fact, Dragon Ball wasn't directly influenced by Hokuto No Ken or Kinnikuman, which pretty much started the whole "Battle Manga" formula. He only went the battle manga route because Kazuhiko Torishima told him to.

Torishima literally told Toriyama after the first arc to turn Dragon Ball into a dumbed down version of Hokuto No Ken
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:33 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:14 am
Street Fighter started development in 1984 (or earlier)? That's a surprisingly long development cycle for what seems like a pretty simple game.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:34 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pm

Torishima literally told Toriyama after the first arc to turn Dragon Ball into a dumbed down version of Hokuto No Ken
Torishima told Toriyama to go the battle manga route because the readership for Dragon Ball was declining. He never pointed to Hokuto no Ken specifically.

In fact, Toriyama went out of his way to subvert what HnK was doing.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pmTorishima told Toriyama to go the battle manga route because the readership for Dragon Ball was declining. He never pointed to Hokuto no Ken specifically.

And Torishima would have never told Toriyama to go the battle manga route if it wasn't for the big popularity of Hokuto no Ken, that run concurrent with Dragon Ball, hence HnK is a direct influence even without the editor explicitely pointing torwards HnK.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pmTorishima told Toriyama to go the battle manga route because the readership for Dragon Ball was declining. He never pointed to Hokuto no Ken specifically.

Its literally been stated flat out directly by Torishima himself.

From Kazuhiko Torishima's own mouth wrote:M: Even so, how did you come up with the ideas behind organizing the story?

Torishima: I studied Fist of the North Star.

Matsuyama: Oh! Fist of the North Star?! That’s surprising.

Torishima: It was because the popularity of Dragon Ball had declined, so I had no choice but to study it. The most overwhelmingly popular series at the time was Fist of the North Star.

Matsuyama: That’s true, isn’t it?

Torishima: So I researched it and read up to 3 volumes of Fist of the North Star.

Matsuyama: What? To volume 3? Only up to that point?!

Torishima: You only need to read that much of Fist of the North Star to understand it. I didn’t care for it that much.

Matsuyama: Oh?! How can you say that?!

Torishima: Nah, it’s alright because it’s just my personal preference. I don’t like it. But Fist of the North Star was so popular at the time, so I read it carefully and studied it, and that’s how the future of Dragon Ball evolved. I decided the policies.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:32 pm

From Kazuhiko Torishima's own mouth wrote:M: Even so, how did you come up with the ideas behind organizing the story?

Torishima: It was because the popularity of Dragon Ball had declined, so I had no choice but to study it. The most overwhelmingly popular series at the time was Fist of the North Star.

Torishima: So I researched it and read up to 3 volumes of Fist of the North Star.

Torishima: You only need to read that much of Fist of the North Star to understand it. I didn’t care for it that much.

Torishima: Nah, it’s alright because it’s just my personal preference. I don’t like it. But Fist of the North Star was so popular at the time, so I read it carefully and studied it, and that’s how the future of Dragon Ball evolved. I decided the policies.
Whatever the case, if Toriyama was actively trying to make the next Hokuto no Ken, we'd be seeing a lot more hyper masculine muscular men as shonen protagonists.

Instead Goku was a boy who grew into a man both physically and mentally as the story went along, which was fresh and original for the time.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:13 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:32 pm

Whatever the case, if Toriyama was actively trying to make the next Hokuto no Ken, we'd be seeing a lot more hyper masculine muscular men as shonen protagonists.

So true bestie, Dragon Bal never had masculine muscular men. Ever.

What show are you watching?
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.