Was it ever explained away why no one in trunks time in the afterlife help out at all?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Was it ever explained away why no one in trunks time in the afterlife help out at all?

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:40 am

Goku died of a virus (i.e. natural means) so he can't be resurrected.

While Piccolo merging with Kami is a good idea, I don't think that's at all something Bulma would think about.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Was it ever explained away why no one in trunks time in the afterlife help out at all?

Post by TobyS » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:27 am

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:54 am
TobyS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:02 am
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:34 am It's even worst than that. Forget about fighting the Androids on a day 1 pass, via King Kai's telepathy, information on where New Namek was could have been sent out to Bulma, but radio silence.
Kaio just cant/doesn't want to intervene.

There's explanations.

Maybe you think it's a stretch kaio can't or isn't allowed to get involved or jaco did get called but died or baba died before the saiyanless saiyan crew got strong enough.

But if that's what had to happen than that's what happened if nothing contradicts it.
Don't presume you know what I'm going to say on a subject. You look like an ass when you do.
TobyS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:07 am
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:34 am It's even worst than that. Forget about fighting the Androids on a day 1 pass, via King Kai's telepathy, information on where New Namek was could have been sent out to Bulma, but radio silence.
Bulma and her dad don't have a good enough ship. Their only good one got destroyed on namek. We don't know she can replicate it or has the resources in the fucked up timeline. It took them 8 months to fuel their time machine alone.
Yeah, a machine that bends time and space, and a machine that travels distances. The former is far more complex, and definitely would need more materials than the latter, so the idea that they couldn't create or replicate the latter, that's dumb.
There's no need to be so pompous, I didn't presume, I just suggested it, this is a completely normal thing to say in a back and forth conversation, "so you think this?" and the other person is welcome to say "no I actually think this" I don't know why you'd act in such bad faith.

Bulma said it would take 100's of years to get there in a ship her dad built.

She then is able to make gokus ship out of baby gokus pod, but they don't have access to those space alien space materials anymore.

There's no line of dialogue explaining they learned a lot from doing it or they were able to recreate these alloys on demand for the future and shit, nothing.

Also a time machine is fictional, how do you know what parts it does or doesn't need compared to a spaceship.

A ship is also much larger and harder to find or have a hidden work area to make it hidden safely from the androids.

But the bigger issue is that they don't have the coordinates for New Namek.

I don't know why all of you are being so stubborn on this.

It's fine not to like the future trunks timelines backstory.

It's fine to think it's not plausible for all the circumstances required to happen.

It's not fine to say something is for sure a plot hole when there is a possible in universe explanation, just because you don't like it.

Goku did not "earn his body" in the saiyan saga. Kami gave it to him, then asked Emnas permission to keep it specifically because he was going to train with Kaio and was going to be revived in a year anyway.

Freeza was a tyrant but not destroying the universe like Buu or Cell would.

Goku specifically says he got it for saving the world from Cell, if he had already earned it before there would be no reason to specify this, or he'd list everything.

Vegeta goes to hell, the humans and Piccolo don't get strong enough to come back before Baba dies, or maybe they don't even get to keep their bodies, as they are just guys on a planet who died in a scrap with other guys from their planet, maybe they do but Kaio isn't allowed to help, if they don't keep their bodies and go to heaven they don't even get to see Kaio in the first place.

Maybe Baba didn't die but her palace thing got blown up and she needed magical items and reagents to do it. Maybe she can't do it when the planets kami is dead.

Regarding her seeing the future, she wasn't able to see the outcome of the saiyan battle, so there are random limits to her power before.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:47 am

I think the only genuine storytelling oddity here is that Goku, who just returned to Earth from their most recent quest to get the Namekian Dragon Balls, doesn't think to ask Trunks about them. I don't think the answer Trunks would give is too important though. Either his mom never mentioned that to him, or it didn't work out.

There are so many reasons why that might not have worked out. Maybe Bulma did have the coordinates for New Namek, but it was too far away to reach via a spaceship in a single lifetime. Maybe she did send someone, but is still waiting for them to return. Maybe their ship was destroyed on the way. One does have to wonder why she would resort to something like time travel if every other option hadn't already been exhausted, so the base assumption for the story to begin is that they were. I suppose it might have been interesting to see a story where the main characters genuinely try every cheat in the book and it still doesn't work out, or to be given an exposition dump about it, but that isn't really the point.
Makaioshin wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:52 pm There are a bunch of outs that keep building in-universe the more the story continues. Trunks' time is damned because that is the foundation of the story being told and if you think about it for too long it falls apart. Not too much time is spent in his future world so it is a bit easier to get away with it.
It is true. The point is that his is a timeline where things didn't work out. We could have gotten all the hows and whys of things not working out, but I don't think it would add as much as some think.

The real mystery is why super fan Toyotaro didn't try to explain away every possible out when he did his Future Trunks arc. Maybe if it was very long like his post-ToP stories were.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:37 am

I think Toyo didn't because it's just a done deal. He did explain the pilaf gang being young in both timelines, but that was pressing because they had to explain mai not being old and stuff

We see him explain the two yardrat designs away for example it that's when the yardrats get invovled.

We see him explain kaios planet being back, because we see the planet etc etc

He throws in the cell jrs to help explain 17s insane growth when 17 is bought in

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:43 pm

Was Goku sent straight to heaven in the future? That would explain a lot. He's kinda the lynchpin for afterlife networking via his connection to Kaiosama. Kaiosama doesn't often reach out to anyone but Goku and seems to only do so because Goku's not around

If Goku was still around, his biggest fumble was to not have Kaiosama message the Namekians on New Namek to wish Piccolo/Kami back. Could also bring back Vegeta and Gohan once Piccolo was back and then Kami or Goku could have telepathically told them all about the RoSaT. Boom, problem solved within a few months.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:37 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:20 am Bulma should just have called her sister to fly them off to New Namek.
Of course we know she didn't exist back then, but now there's so many new ways that Trunks' future could have dealt with the Androids and revive the fallen Z-Fighters.
What how? If the Androids had wrecked havoc without prior warning there’s a good chance technology would have been destroyed and humanity would have been set back decades heck eventually centuries. Plus we don’t know whether Bulma even still knew the coordinates for Namek, it’s also possible the ship was destroyed from all the destruction.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:56 am

There's explanations.
He did intervene to get New Namek's location in the Cell Arc we had, so he can do it, Cell was still just a threat to the Earth at that time, in fact Kaioh doesn't even question the threat level he obliges Goku's request to get the new dragon balls simply because Goku asked and explained what happened, so he would want to intervene like that if he did so (in a more direct way btw) in the main timeline, the only reason why he wouldn't help to locate it is if the earth's fighters simply never asked him.

I see a lot of people saying the dead shouldn't die at the same time as Kami because that would prevent them from getting his permission to maintain their bodies, but that is simply false as we see in the Frieza Arc, the Z Warriors still retained their bodies by Kami's persmission to go train with Kaioh, even though Kami was dead himself, his powers and position as god of the Earth still grants him leverage, all the more reason it is strange he seemingly never helped with this.

It is all simply a massive logical gap in Trunks' future, it doesn't make sense considering the immense ammounts of get out of jail free cards the protagonists collected up to this point (2 sets of dragon balls, spaceships that can travel to Namek in mere months, the aid of certain gods like Kami or Kaioh), they all get ignored in favor of the gritty, dark and realistic Future Trunks timeline even happening.

This is a concept Toriyama threw in without much care for how the larger universe would accomodate it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:26 pm

Too many people assume that Goku and the others decided to live on North Kai's planet afterwards. I doubt they went there to live on after death. If they do visit sometimes, Goku would know that Trunks is still alive and believes that he would be the one to save the day. After all, he did the same with Goten and Trunks hoping that they will be the one to beat Buu.

Also, I don't know why people don't like the ideat that Goku and the others accept their defeat and admiting it's a destiny that they can't escape from. If they really wanted to return, they would have done it by now when #17 and #18 still exist.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:26 pm Too many people assume that Goku and the others decided to live on North Kai's planet afterwards. I doubt they went there to live on after death. If they do visit sometimes, Goku would know that Trunks is still alive and believes that he would be the one to save the day. After all, he did the same with Goten and Trunks hoping that they will be the one to beat Buu.

Also, I don't know why people don't like the ideat that Goku and the others accept their defeat and admiting it's a destiny that they can't escape from. If they really wanted to return, they would have done it by now when #17 and #18 still exist.
Goku leaving things to Gohan and Gotenks isn't really the same though. Once he saw that they were about to die, he was determined to jump back in himself to prevent it. He clearly hates seeing Buutenks toying with Gohan, and jumps at the chance to return to earth.

Trunks on the other hand could have died countless times over the course of several years, but nobody came to his rescue. He only survived by the skin of his teeth, and there was zero reason to believe he'd ever beat the Androids.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:23 pm

He's not Goku's son so he doesnt matter lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:36 pm

I've thought about this too and the only thing that makes sense to me is that it's just a plothole on Toriyama's part. There are too many people and too much time involved for something not to eventually happen to help out. It's so different to how everyone acts in the rest of Dragon Ball both before and after this arc.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:38 pm

Ashur wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:56 am

There's explanations.
He did intervene to get New Namek's location in the Cell Arc we had, so he can do it, Cell was still just a threat to the Earth at that time, in fact Kaioh doesn't even question the threat level he obliges Goku's request to get the new dragon balls simply because Goku asked and explained what happened, so he would want to intervene like that if he did so (in a more direct way btw) in the main timeline, the only reason why he wouldn't help to locate it is if the earth's fighters simply never asked him.

I see a lot of people saying the dead shouldn't die at the same time as Kami because that would prevent them from getting his permission to maintain their bodies, but that is simply false as we see in the Frieza Arc, the Z Warriors still retained their bodies by Kami's persmission to go train with Kaioh, even though Kami was dead himself, his powers and position as god of the Earth still grants him leverage, all the more reason it is strange he seemingly never helped with this.

It is all simply a massive logical gap in Trunks' future, it doesn't make sense considering the immense ammounts of get out of jail free cards the protagonists collected up to this point (2 sets of dragon balls, spaceships that can travel to Namek in mere months, the aid of certain gods like Kami or Kaioh), they all get ignored in favor of the gritty, dark and realistic Future Trunks timeline even happening.

This is a concept Toriyama threw in without much care for how the larger universe would accomodate it.
Giving a living guy directions is not the same as helping the dead contact the living to circumvent their natural deaths to fight guys who are less of a cosmic threat than freeza.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:51 am

It’s never been stated that Kaio wouldn’t be able to intervene against the artificial humans. As far as I recall, the only deities in Dragon Ball that it’s been stated aren’t allowed to intervene are the angels, and even Whis technically breaks that when he undoes Earth’s destruction.

As for him not wanting to help, why not?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:51 am It’s never been stated that Kaio wouldn’t be able to intervene against the artificial humans. As far as I recall, the only deities in Dragon Ball that it’s been stated aren’t allowed to intervene are the angels, and even Whis technically breaks that when he undoes Earth’s destruction.

This is what bugs me about a lot of the answers in this topic. People act like he's some sort of cold-hearted jerk who only cares about covering his own ass, which couldn't be further from the truth.

He clearly cared about Goku and showed concern for him and his friends throughout the Saiyan invasion. He also went above and beyond to help the gang reach Namek, and later played a key role in reviving everyone and getting them off Namek safely.

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:01 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:37 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:51 am It’s never been stated that Kaio wouldn’t be able to intervene against the artificial humans. As far as I recall, the only deities in Dragon Ball that it’s been stated aren’t allowed to intervene are the angels, and even Whis technically breaks that when he undoes Earth’s destruction.

This is what bugs me about a lot of the answers in this topic. People act like he's some sort of cold-hearted jerk who only cares about covering his own ass, which couldn't be further from the truth.

He clearly cared about Goku and showed concern for him and his friends throughout the Saiyan invasion. He also went above and beyond to help the gang reach Namek, and later played a key role in reviving everyone and getting them off Namek safely.
And he helped Goku find New Namek and helped out in the Buu arc too. That's why it seems like something similar to what happened towards the end of Buu would happen in Future Trunks's timeline. Like Kaio could tell the Namekians what wish they wanted and they wouldn't even have to worry about travelling there.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:10 am

Yeah, people are forgetting that it was Kami that pulled strings for Goku to keep his body the first time he was killed, and did the same after everyone got killed by Nappa. It's possible that after all those guys got killed again, Enma was like "A'ight nigga this time it's for keeps, stop playing on my phone."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:10 am Yeah, people are forgetting that it was Kami that pulled strings for Goku to keep his body the first time he was killed, and did the same after everyone got killed by Nappa. It's possible that after all those guys got killed again, Enma was like "A'ight nigga this time it's for keeps, stop playing on my phone."
I think it could still work even if no one who died keeps their bodies, but I don't think Kami pulled strings the first time because Goku had done a lot for Earth at that time. I've heard that he only got to keep it for real after his sacrifice against Cell, but didn't he make a similar sacrifice when fighting Raditz? He put himself in harm's way to beat him knowing that he was going to die. That sounds just as noble and selfless as what he did against Cell.

I don't know if I can say the same for everyone else, though. Even if they were able to keep their bodies, I'm surprised they could withstand being on Kaio's planet. Piccolo and maybe Tien could barely do it, but the rest feels like a stretch. But that's a different subject.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:23 am

I think the only real answer to give to this, is Toriyama couldn't have done anything with the dead and the gods as this would disrupt the apocalyptic, hopeless world he wanted to make.
In Dragon Ball there is a lot ways to resolve even the most desperate situations and contrary to what the story says there's always a way to even the odds. Cell arc does it, Buu arc does it, Zamasu arc even overdoes it.
If Toriyama applied his established ideas of sh*t he came up from Buu forwards, there wouldn't be any tension in this world.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:48 am

Ronin wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:10 am Yeah, people are forgetting that it was Kami that pulled strings for Goku to keep his body the first time he was killed, and did the same after everyone got killed by Nappa. It's possible that after all those guys got killed again, Enma was like "A'ight nigga this time it's for keeps, stop playing on my phone."

I think it could still work even if no one who died keeps their bodies, but I don't think Kami pulled strings the first time because Goku had done a lot for Earth at that time. I've heard that he only got to keep it for real after his sacrifice against Cell, but didn't he make a similar sacrifice when fighting Raditz? He put himself in harm's way to beat him knowing that he was going to die. That sounds just as noble and selfless as what he did against Cell.

I don't know if I can say the same for everyone else, though. Even if they were able to keep their bodies, I'm surprised they could withstand being on Kaio's planet. Piccolo and maybe Tien could barely do it, but the rest feels like a stretch. But that's a different subject.
Piccolo specifcally states it was Kami's doing and when Kami brings Goku to Enma, Enma's like "Sure, I guess."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:48 am
Ronin wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 am

Piccolo specifcally states it was Kami's doing and when Kami brings Goku to Enma, Enma's like "Sure, I guess."
Goku does owe it to Kami that he gets Kaio's training, but I don't think that there was any string pulling involved. He just makes a request to Enma and Enma grants it; noting that he was worthy of receiving the training after noticing all the good he has done. He already had his body and it wasn't part of Kami's request.