Overrated and Underrated voice actors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Overrated and Underrated voice actors

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Underrated:

Colleen Clinkenbeard - People have warmed up to her Gohan over time, but there are still detractors and I don't understand why. Also, even people who are fans of her Gohan aren't fans of her young Goku despite being the best English voice for him besides maybe Henderson (and even then I still like Clinkenbeard a bit more). She nails the kinda dopey martial arts adventure kid that Goku was at that age. I think people have just convinced themselves that Nadolny is better because the current dub for OG DB is the only option they have for the show. I'm pretty sure if there were a full redub of OG DB or a Kai recut so Clinkenbeard would be able to voice him in more than just one movie, a lot of people would be converted.

Unsho Ishizuka - People seem to like him fine in Super, but I'm here to say that Ishizuka's Mr. Satan performance is every bit as good as Daisuke Gouri's. I think people are just so attached to Gouri's performances (rightfully so; he was a legend) and we're so shaken by the tragic circumstances surrounding his passing that they were unwilling to accept anyone else speaking those lines. Plus the general disdain for Kai in Japanese even though it's a perfectly great way to watch the show if you ask me. But Ishizuka's booming voice made him a phenomenal follow-up to the showman that Gouri created despite being different from the iconic gravelly voice. Now, I remember a ton of people saying that the Texas cast would've been better off if they'd started out doing their own thing instead of being bad imitations of the Vancouver cast. That's a sentiment I generally agree with, and the same applies here. Ishizuka actually did his own thing instead of going for a bad Gouri impression, and in doing so he created a unique and equally valid take on the character. And it was one that he gave his all performing. I implore you to give his Mr. Satan another look sometime. Maybe you'll appreciate it more than you expected. But for me, I'm just glad we had two great actors carry such an iconic role. It's a shame they're no longer with us.

Matthew Erickson - In general, Blue Water's GT is an absolutely solid dub that I wish could be preserved via a home release, and the core trio (which included Zoe Slusar and Caitlynne Medrek as Goku and Pan respectively) is really good. I think Erickson is the standout of them though, adding little nuances to his Trunks that showed how much he got into the role, like the little "do-do-dos" as he's changing out of his work clothes in one of the early episodes. I just think he was a good pick who put a lot into doing right by the character.

Overrated:

Stephanie Nadolny - No surprise coming from me. There are moments I can handle her voice, but for the most part she can't act her way out of a paper bag. She absolutely dropped the ball on the scene where Goku finds Kuririn's body. There are times where she's decent (the Path to Power movie is probably her most consistent performance off the top of my head), but I can't think of very many nice things to say about her Goku or Gohan outside of that. I'm sure she's a nice person and I wish her all the best, but I'm so glad Clinkenbeard took over her roles.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:57 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:31 pm Underrated:

Colleen Clinkenbeard - People have warmed up to her Gohan over time, but there are still detractors and I don't understand why. Also, even people who are fans of her Gohan aren't fans of her young Goku despite being the best English voice for him besides maybe Henderson (and even then I still like Clinkenbeard a bit more). She nails the kinda dopey martial arts adventure kid that Goku was at that age. I think people have just convinced themselves that Nadolny is better because the current dub for OG DB is the only option they have for the show. I'm pretty sure if there were a full redub of OG DB or a Kai recut so Clinkenbeard would be able to voice him in more than just one movie, a lot of people would be converted.
It took some getting used to but I did warm up to her performance in the Curse of the Blood Rubies dub and I do think she's better then Nadolny, from purely a performance stand point if nothing else.
Stephanie Nadolny - No surprise coming from me. There are moments I can handle her voice, but for the most part she can't act her way out of a paper bag. She absolutely dropped the ball on the scene where Goku finds Kuririn's body. There are times where she's decent (the Path to Power movie is probably her most consistent performance off the top of my head), but I can't think of very many nice things to say about her Goku or Gohan outside of that. I'm sure she's a nice person and I wish her all the best, but I'm so glad Clinkenbeard took over her roles.
Oh yeah, I'm fine with her Goku voice but her acting is pretty below par and her attempt to convey Goku's anguish at finding Krillin's corpse is a prime example of how bad her acting get get when she's called upon to do anything more than Happy Go Lucky Goku or Goku the Warrior.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:40 amThe reason Sabat played so many characters was utilitarian - as a salaried employee (his actual job was ADR engineer), he was essentially doing all those voices for free (same reason Justin Cook and Mike McFarland also tend to play a zillion side characters).
Where exactly has it been said that Sabat was playing so many characters for free?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:24 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:40 amThe reason Sabat played so many characters was utilitarian - as a salaried employee (his actual job was ADR engineer), he was essentially doing all those voices for free (same reason Justin Cook and Mike McFarland also tend to play a zillion side characters).
Where exactly has it been said that Sabat was playing so many characters for free?
Sabat said it in his interview with Geekdom101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpfwzqvvJA

Sabat came from an audio production background rather than acting, and that's what he was hired for. He just happens to have a voice made for radio and voiceovers lmao
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:32 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. Does this mean that he did voice direction for free as well?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:33 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:32 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. Does this mean that he did voice direction for free as well?
No, directing is part of the ADR engineering job. Like I said in my edit, he came from an audio production background, being a radio DJ. He says they brought him in to do Yamcha in Movie 2 as a one-off and then after that hired him to help them cast and direct.
Cold World (Fanfic)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:04 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:32 pm

It's less he was doing it for free and more he was a salary employee and like most companies Funimation took full advantage of not having to pay him hourly

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:53 am

Justin Cook's Super Buu sounds like some poor attempt at sounding like a pro wrestler.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:52 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:53 am Justin Cook's Super Buu sounds like some poor attempt at sounding like a pro wrestler.
This isnt the "Just bash whoever you want" thread. NO ONE like's that performance so you have to pick an overrated perfomance and an underrated one in your opinion.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:52 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:53 am Justin Cook's Super Buu sounds like some poor attempt at sounding like a pro wrestler.
This isnt the "Just bash whoever you want" thread. NO ONE like's that performance so you have to pick an overrated perfomance and an underrated one in your opinion.
Speak for yourself
Cold World (Fanfic)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:20 pm
This isnt the "Just bash whoever you want" thread. NO ONE likes that performance so you have to pick an overrated perfomance and an underrated one in your opinion.
Speak for yourself
My posts didnt just bash. I also gave kudos where it was due. In fact most of the my post are in agreement to the praise of other people. This is just bashing. You ARE correct that I didnt follow the "Underrated and Overrated" thing but I will correct this right away. And the fact remains that this isnt a bashing thread.

Underrated:
Jose Luis Castañeda: I love this voice and I really dont get why people hate it so much. He fit pretty much every role Gloria Rocha cast him in and I think they hate him to spite her or something. Even Kei got in the game and said he sucked as Omega Shenron... when the Japanese version wasnt any different and was extremely faithful to it. What did he expect exactly?

Overrated: Stephanie Nadolny, sorry but she's just the worst. Really overrated, I've never seen a scene where her acting actually landed. There is one scene I liked but that could have been accomplished by anyone since the humor is carried by the writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRyVjQYEeio
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:57 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:20 pm

This isnt the "Just bash whoever you want" thread. NO ONE likes that performance so you have to pick an overrated perfomance and an underrated one in your opinion.
Speak for yourself
My posts didnt just bash. I also gave kudos where it was due. In fact most of the my post are in agreement to the praise of other people. This is just bashing. You ARE correct that I didnt follow the "Underrated and Overrated" thing but I will correct this right away. And the fact remains that this isnt a bashing thread.
I think he's responding to the "NO ONE likes that performance" part. And he'd be right, I quite like Justin Cook's Super Buu.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:36 pm

Oh... Ok then. Sorry about that.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:49 am

Overrated:

Daisuke Gouri - He was great as Gyuumao and Mr. Satan, but they really didn't have to make him voice so many henchmen...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:39 pm

coola wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:49 am Overrated:

Daisuke Gouri - He was great as Gyuumao and Mr. Satan, but they really didn't have to make him voice so many henchmen...
No underrated?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:39 pm
coola wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:49 am Overrated:

No underrated?
Ah, sorry, i forgot, not sure if it counts, but Kōzō Shioya, specifically as Gotenks and Gohan Buu, i really liked extra cocky and confidence he added after absorption :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:11 am

Excuse me, no one? I love Justin Cook's Super Buu. Please don't say baseless statements like that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:27 am

I've honestly never known anyone who disliked Justin Cook's Super Buu, just disappointment the filter on his voice is missing in the remastered dub. It's Josh Martin's Fat Buu that fans hate.

My only misgivings is that without the filter its the same voice as his Raditz voice but those characters never interact and exist over 200 episodes apart from each so it's not that big a deal

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:27 am I've honestly never known anyone who disliked Justin Cook's Super Buu, just disappointment the filter on his voice is missing in the remastered dub. It's Josh Martin's Fat Buu that fans hate.

My only misgivings is that without the filter its the same voice as his Raditz voice but those characters never interact and exist over 200 episodes apart from each so it's not that big a deal
Yeah, the Super and Kid/Small Buu voices in the dub are good. Martin's voice with his fat form is the one out of his forms that grates on me. That high pitched (it sounds like he's on helium) baby talk voice is just...yeesh. Shioya's take just does a better job of capturing the overgrown child-like aspect of the character while also not being forced and overdone the way the former is.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:27 am I've honestly never known anyone who disliked Justin Cook's Super Buu, just disappointment the filter on his voice is missing in the remastered dub. It's Josh Martin's Fat Buu that fans hate.
His base Super Buu doesn't have the demonic twang to his voice that Shioya's does and sounds more generic in comparison (he fits the more generic sounding absorption forms better, though still not as good as Shioya's more smooth sounding take), but I don't hate it; unlike Martin's Fat Buu which I despise (Ruined a fun and charming character by giving him an obnoxious voice and manner of speaking). Cook is no Shioya, but he's ok in the role.