"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:34 am

If it's not gonna be manga content then boy it sure is gonna get heated around here and everywhere :twisted:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:10 pm

Broly retelling, let's go.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:23 pm

Zephyr wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:10 pm Broly retelling, let's go.
With the original storyboard being 170 minutes they could probably just turn that into ten-plus episodes, so I'm game, especially if it means more scenes of Cheelai and Broli interacting.

And more of Broli in that tight top of his...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:53 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:23 pm
With the original storyboard being 170 minutes they could probably just turn that into ten-plus episodes, so I'm game, especially if it means more scenes of Cheelai and Broli interacting.

I highly doubt that's the scenario.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:52 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:53 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:23 pm

I highly doubt that's the scenario.
sir i have been doing the internet fangirl since 1998, i am well aware that it is possible for my hopes, dreams and aspirations to not become reality.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:45 pm

Toei has created a new instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/dragonballanimeofficial/

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:27 am

It is interesting that they're posting about Jaco on their social media platforms. If the anime comes back and they adapt the manga, then the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc will be next, which heavily involved Jaco. This probably doesn't really mean anything (as usual), but I guess it's worth pointing out.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:00 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:27 am It is interesting that they're posting about Jaco on their social media platforms. If the anime comes back and they adapt the manga, then the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc will be next, which heavily involved Jaco. This probably doesn't really mean anything (as usual), but I guess it's worth pointing out.

Maybe the web anime incorporates Jaco...

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:36 am

There is no web anime.
Oh wait, there is, it's called Super Dragon Ball Heroes. The show that succeeded Super and lasted longer.

People are really grasping at straws for a new Super anime.
Do you really think a DB voice artist would tweet about an unreleased project unless he had permission? And do you think that if TOEI had something cooking up they would want the public to know/guess via a VA tweet?

Wow, a DB IG account! That must mean the web anime is near!! Yeah, or they just want a general account in order to market merchandise, video games etc. Merchandise and games that have been selling pretty well since Super's cancellation.

Fact of the manner is that TOEI is a business and DB doesn't need two animes in order to sell stuff. Even with just the movies, DB has been selling pretty well. Investing in an expensive anime for marginal profit increases would be a ROI when TOEI can also employ their artists for projects that need an anime.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:35 am

Sorry for speculating. I didn't know that wasn't allowed on this forum that exists for speculating and discussing the series that we all like.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:00 am

I think it's completely fine to post IG account and speculate. I probably don't know about better place to do so, especially if we can either confirm and debunk things fast together for the sake of clarity :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:52 am

Jord wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:36 am There is no web anime.
Oh wait, there is, it's called Super Dragon Ball Heroes. The show that succeeded Super and lasted longer.

Do you really think a DB voice artist would tweet about an unreleased project unless he had permission? And do you think that if TOEI had something cooking up they would want the public to know/guess via a VA tweet?

Wow, a DB IG account! That must mean the web anime is near!! Yeah, or they just want a general account in order to market merchandise, video games etc. Merchandise and games that have been selling pretty well since Super's cancellation.

Fact of the manner is that TOEI is a business and DB doesn't need two animes in order to sell stuff. Even with just the movies, DB has been selling pretty well. Investing in an expensive anime for marginal profit increases would be a ROI when TOEI can also employ their artists for projects that need an anime.
Dude, was this post necessary? Super Dragon ball Heroes did not succeed Super. It's an entirely different project. Currently there isn't any other Dragon Ball anime having been announced but there will be another anime. And the "Web anime" (although under another name) will come out. Mark my words, Jord. In Saikyo Devin I trust.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:09 am

The fact at this moment would be, that nothing is coming. We are mostly just grasping straws here.
I wouldn't disregard the Heroes web series, as it is clearly something that backs up the popular arcade franchise (if it wasn't profitable, it wouldn't exist in the first place and I would say that having production quality that is above or on par with Super before TOP is an indication of that). Then there is the manga.
I personally believe that another movie will make the most sense for satisfaction of all and that is something I wait to be announced.
I don't really see a point in another web series, unless it will be tied to a product. So maybe there is a web series in development for next iteration of Heroes or something similar?
Or maybe a motion comic made from the Super manga?

Otherwise, for Super to continue, TV series will make the most sense besides the movies.
Or, OVAs for streaming services... but TOEI is horrible at those as well, producing them in the same quality as their standard TV shows (cough, Saint Seiya Soul Of Gold and Santia Sho, cough).
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:34 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:52 am

Dude, was this post necessary? Super Dragon ball Heroes did not succeed Super. It's an entirely different project. Currently there isn't any other Dragon Ball anime having been announced but there will be another anime. And the "Web anime" (although under another name) will come out. Mark my words, Jord. In Saikyo Devin I trust.
Just like how people put their trust in that French dub actor a few years back which led to zilch regarding a new series.
Or in any Twitter profile that profits by making baseless speculation. I guess speculation began later in 2018 and has been going on for almost 5 years now. Goal posts get moved constantly. From other animes ending, to needing enough manga material to adapt to making room for a new DB series to vague rumours about announcements, supposedly coming from "insiders". The net result after 5 years though? Zip.

It's cool how some people want the anime back and it can be fun to imagine what such a series could be like but you have to be a bit realistic in expectations and not "fall" for every rumor, just because you want it to be true.

Regarding SDBH as "successor", let's take a look at both series' runs.

DBS's run
July 5, 2015 – March 15, 2018

SDBH
July 1, 2018 – present

When DBS was winding down, they were already planning the next DB anime, which is the SDBH web anime. It may not be a chronological successor but production wise it is the next DB anime, sharing not only the brand but also part of it's staff. In a way SDBH can be considered more successful since it has a far longer run, clearly making money for TOEI/Bandai Namco.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:43 am

Jord wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:34 am

Just like how people put their trust in that French dub actor a few years back which led to zilch regarding a new series.
Or in any Twitter profile that profits by making baseless speculation. I guess speculation began later in 2018 and has been going on for almost 5 years now. Goal posts get moved constantly. From other animes ending, to needing enough manga material to adapt to making room for a new DB series to vague rumours about announcements, supposedly coming from "insiders". The net result after 5 years though? Zip.

It's cool how some people want the anime back and it can be fun to imagine what such a series could be like but you have to be a bit realistic in expectations and not "fall" for every rumor, just because you want it to be true.

DBS's run

SDBH
July 1, 2018 – present

When DBS was winding down, they were already planning the next DB anime, which is the SDBH web anime. It may not be a chronological successor but production wise it is the next DB anime, sharing not only the brand but also part of it's staff. In a way SDBH can be considered more successful since it has a far longer run, clearly making money for TOEI/Bandai Namco.
You do realize that Heroes has been running for longer than Super simply because its episodes are monthly (and several times it goes on hiatus for two or more months) right?

Heroes doesn't even have half the number of Super episodes.

Ofc Heroes will run longer than Super when new episodes come out once every month (and several times it takes more than one month, for instance between ep. 42 and 43 there was a distance of 3 months).

If the Super anime was monthly like Heroes (and didn't take occasional 3 months breaks like Heroes), it would literally be running for 10 years.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:29 am

DBS's run

SDBH
July 1, 2018 – present

A new Dragon Ball Super anime probably was in the planning but got canceled years ago, is my guess. I know there's been rumors about this and that and nothing's happened yet. But I do really trust Saikyo Devin. He's very cautious about what he says and how he says it. Admittedly he said it's not impossible the "web anime" gets canceled, but it's in production already, according to him. I don't see Super Dragon Ball Heroes as a successor, but I guess you're allowed to see it as such.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:33 am

I feel like the thing with SDBH is... Super is still getting content too. The manga has never stopped, we had a new movie as recently as last year, and SDBH has a plot that's basically just an excuse to cram in as many cameos and powerups as possible, with little regard for how anything actually fits into the story as-is. I find it hard to see it as anything but a side thing made purely to advertise toys and games. Which, sure, DBS itself also primarily exists to sell stuff, but it feels... more thought-out? Like, say what you will about the quality of the stories, but it feels like it is at least trying to be a proper continuation of Dragon Ball, whereas Heroes is kinda just... smashing action figures together.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:56 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:43 am

DBS's run

SDBH
July 1, 2018 – present

You do realize that Heroes has been running for longer than Super simply because its episodes are monthly (and several times it goes on hiatus for two or more months) right?

Heroes doesn't even have half the number of Super episodes.

Ofc Heroes will run longer than Super when new episodes come out once every month (and several times it takes more than one month, for instance between ep. 42 and 43 there was a distance of 3 months).

If the Super anime was monthly like Heroes (and didn't take occasional 3 months breaks like Heroes), it would literally be running for 10 years.
Frequency isn't the issue. It's profitability. Apparently the frequency at which the SDBH anime airs is enough to increase profit for the SDBH brand and invest in an anime. DBS apparently didn't make enough of a difference in profit in order to sustain producing the anime. In the end it's all about money.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:50 am

Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:33 amThe manga has never stopped,
Yes, it did. For three months. And the first thing it did when it came back was retell a new movie we recently saw last year...
Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:33 amand SDBH has a plot that's basically just an excuse to cram in as many cameos and powerups as possible, with little regard for how anything actually fits into the story as-is.
But it has a "plot", right? Where's that in Dragon Ball Super, aside from just one saga? And how cramming in as much power ups is any different than Dragon Ball Super, exactly? That series turns "dodging movement" into a transformation, even a title becomes one. Feels very much an excuse to cram in as much power ups as possible as well.
Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:33 amLike, say what you will about the quality of the stories, but it feels like it is at least trying to be a proper continuation of Dragon Ball, whereas Heroes is kinda just... smashing action figures together.
How, though? Even the characters are badly portrayed, how can that be a "proper continuation"? If they were really trying, I doubt it would be a midquel, it would be a sequel. Also, aren't tournaments literally just "smashing action figures together"? Which, as you saw in my long post in the other thread, they did twice in a row that we had to endure for many, many weeks.

How anything of what you say set apart Dragon Ball Heroes and Dragon Ball Super? It's almost like the old "Golden Freeza = good / Golden Cooler = bad", when they are actually the same thing.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~