"The Face" behind every regional dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

"The Face" behind every regional dub

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:40 pm

To honor the promise of less quick threads in rapid succession, I will only do a thread a month. And the topic for this one is the people who are the "Face" of the dubs, people who get all the credit or all the scorn for the way a dub is.

-Latin America has Gloria Rocha who was the iconic director of pretty much every major anime dub in the 90's. People are as likely to praise as they are to criticize her. And the same goes for Eduardo Garza who took over as director for the modern era of Dragon Ball.
-USA has Christopher Sabat who plays a lot of characters and directs the dub I think. Also Bruce Faulconer cannot go unmentioned. And Barry Watson was the man behind most major decisions with the dub and is to credit for its feel. Few people remember him thogh,
-Big Green has David Gasman who played lots of characters in it since it was a cheap dub-

Do you have any you want to add?
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: "The Face" behind every regional dub

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:40 pm -Big Green has David Gasman who played lots of characters in it since it was a cheap dub-
Do you have any you want to add?
Actually, many people consider Ed Marcus (the once called "Old Bastard") more representative of the dub than David ("The Goku Guy")

It doesn't help that Ed voiced 70% of the cast while David was the one with the fewest number of roles out of the bunch and Ed was also the one with the most miscasts (a record shared with Doug Rand)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:21 am

Barry Watson far more so than Faulconer should probably be more attributed to how the English dub turned out. Things like Kaioken being pronounced KayoKen, Saiyan being pronounced like Sayin and not Sai yan, replacement music being used and the decision to make it wall to wall and how it should sound, and the general punch up humor are always genererally pointed at being ordered by Barry Watson. Once Barry left the scripts got more accurate, the replacement score was done away with with Z and GT even defaulting back to their Japanese scores and Kaioken started getting pronounced correctly.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:24 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:21 am Barry Watson far more so than Faulconer should probably be more attributed to how the English dub turned out. Things like Kaioken being pronounced KayoKen, Saiyan being pronounced like Sayin and not Sai yan, replacement music being used and the decision to make it wall to wall and how it should sound, and the general punch up humor are always genererally pointed at being ordered by Barry Watson. Once Barry left the scripts got more accurate, the replacement score was done away with and Z and GT even defaulted back to the Japanese score with and Kaioken started getting pronounced correctly.
I know Barry Watson, and I did want to put him there, I know he's to credit for the dub even back when it was with Ocean. But its not him who is mentioned by the fandom the most, he's genuinely to credit, but that's not what the thread is about. Still, he was mentioned the most for most of these criticisms so I will add him.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:44 pm

A lot of responsibility for the success or failure of a dubbing have the directors, the studios and the money given by the production company or the television network.

From the French dub, Pierre Trabaud was the voice director for DB and DBZ while Antoine Nouel is the one for DBGT, DBZ Kai, DBZ Kai: TFC and DBS.

From the Castilian dub, Ana Wagener, Ángeles Neira, Ana Cremades and Jorge Tomé have directed DBZ while Mercedes Hoyos is the voice director for DBZ Movies 14-15, DBS and DBS Movies 1-2.

From the Greek dub, Dimitra Dimitriadou was the voice director for DB, her husband Mihalis Balis for DBZ, Maria Zisi for DBGT and all 17 Movies & 3 TV Specials released by DeAgostini and Konstantinos Kakkanas for DBS (1-27).

Voices of adult Goku from other dubs such as Wendel Bezerra (Brazilian dub), Marc Zanni (Catalan dub) and Jefferson Utanes (Tagalog dub) have also been involved as directors but I don't know exactly what and how much they directed.

That's more or less what I can add for now.