Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Konja7 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:01 pm I still think the premise is dumb and played out. The whole idea that children want to see other children as heroes is ill-informed to me. I know as a child I always preferred adult characters or when the child character grew up. I will say, that it's a tad bit more interesting that at least we get to see Vegeta and the others as kids. Still, why is it always the "turn into a kid's" wish? I mean sure, maybe you can't wish for Goku and the others to die, but how about wishing for them to be infants, or hell, even old geriatrics would at least be a new spin on the idea.
I don't think the theory that children want to see other children heroes is so ill-informed. In my case, I really like children heroes as a kid.

That said, I think the reason to turn the characters into kids is because they don't want the character to continue aging. After all, that's the reason why Super never went beyond Z Epilogur.
Last edited by Konja7 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:15 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:58 pmAlso it's interesting to think that this could take place before or right after BoG, and that Kibitoshin not being a thing anymore is just part of the magic
After all, if we really take to count that they turned back into kids because the villain is around Kaioshin's power level, I think it's fair to unfuse Kibitoshin, as he's supposed to be SSJ2 level AFAIK?
Eh, I don't see the problem in giving us kid Kibitoshin. Speaking of which, turning Goku and Vegeta into kids will be worth if we get kid Gogeta or kid Vegetto.
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:58 pmAnd agreed with Xeogran, make it at least be post-Super Hero, just take us out of this 10 years hell already :crazy:
Until we are told otherwise, for now it is better to assume this is after Dragon Ball Super Super Hero.
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:58 pmand what if the purple hair is again because only teen-adult Trunks can have blue hair, man I won't know what to do anymore :lol:
It's just inconsistency in its purest form. Teen Trunks appears with blue hair.

Also, that logic contradicts the manga and Dragon Ball Online, which show adult Trunks with purple hair.
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pmI wonder what Chibi Vegeta will think of it.
I expect no reaction to that at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pm
Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:16 pm Digimon Tri was on Movie Theaters in Japan (My argument being that this WILL air on TV in Japan, and if that happens it will also happen elsewhere) and you got me good with Crystal... but I remember what a horrible experience that was for everyone involved including Toei so I doubt they will try that again.

However I might be wrong and I admit that but otherwise stick to my guns in theorizing what will happen.
Toei tried ONAs like Sailor Moon Crystal with Saint Seiya Soul of Gold. Both look pretty bad.

However, Sailor Moon Crystal wasn't really a big thing for Toei. I'm pretty sure Crystal S1/S2 were ONAs, because it was cheaper.

Regarding Dragon Ball Daima, it seems they have invested on this anime. So, I'm pretty sure it will be a TV show.
Here we are at the end of the year of our lord Dende 2023 and people still think online streaming is secondary to traditional television.

Of course it COULD air on tv (Japanese television at least) but its just as likely, if not more so, to be a straight to streaming series. Money being thrown at it really doesn't automatically point to it airing on television.
I know I am the last person you'll listen to on this since I am so pro Television but that's precisely why this might NOT be just for streaming. Fuji TV needs eyes on it and like it or not putting this streaming only would be loss for Fuji TV. And we all know it WILL go to streaming anyway. I ALREADY know Streaming is GIGANTIC, I am not deluded. I had a link that said as big and huge streaming is, Japanese companies are reluctant to try streaming only even if they now see the might of streaming. But I am looking for it and cant find it. Will share as soon as I can.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:18 pm

So of all the things they could have done they decided to go with "Dragon Ball Babies"?

They took the most hated concept of GT and applied it to everyone this time. Wonderful.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:25 pm

I will extend an olive branch to the "Its an online anime" people because I realized that whatever it is, it will air on Television. Sailor Moon Crystal aired on TV outside of Japan. So I shouldnt worry if it airs online in Japan or outside of it, whomever is willing to air it on TV will and that's all I want to happen and am hoping for.

I DO hope its not a series of shorts I really want a weekly half hour show.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:26 pm

The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:27 pm

So the leaks were true...

I can't say anything about the story yet but the animation looks nice.
Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 pm That said, I think the reason to turn the characters into kids is because they don't want the character to continue aging. After all, that's the reason why Super never went beyond Z Epilogur.
I personally think it the de-aging was done for anniversary purposes. It's going to be 40 years since the OG DB release, so it makes sense that they are gonna celebrate it with getting the franchise back to its roots.

xm0c

Post by xm0c » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:29 pm

My one hope for this is, that the de aging of everyone makes most of the characters on close to equal footing in terms of power, and that all the characters get some focus, not just Goku and Vegeta. The trailer does seem to focus on them a lot, but I think it'd be cool if lesser used characters like Yamcha and Chiaotzu got to do some adventuring as well.

Come to think of it, how is Chiaotzu supposed to look? He's already roughly child size.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:30 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pmHere we are at the end of the year of our lord Dende 2023 and people still think online streaming is secondary to traditional television.

Of course it COULD air on tv (Japanese television at least) but its just as likely, if not more so, to be a straight to streaming series. Money being thrown at it really doesn't automatically point to it airing on television.
I'm speaking about the online streaming in Japan for Sailor Moon Crystal S1/S2 and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold, which were online streaming in websites created by Toei. Also, these two anime have a pretty low animation quality, so it's pretty clear that online streaming hasn't big investment.

If the online streaming happened on big streaming service (like Netflix), I wouldn't expect low quality.
Crystal and Soul of Gold came out in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Back when a lot of people were still watching cable and straight to streaming shows were just starting to get attention with shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:30 pm

Honestly, this looks like silly, playful fun, which is very much Toriyama's wheelhouse.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:33 pm

Toriyama has the chance to correct a very critical error that GT failed on--please make the child-sized stuff a short, first arc thing and then return everything else to normal, post-Super goodness. I think everyone is assuming this is a fundamental part of the series as a whole but I don't think that's been confirmed. Maybe it's just a silly marketing gimmick to sell the series.

I guess that sorta leads to the follow-up question as to if this is intended as "Super 2" or a short one-off that leads into a separate "Super 2" series.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:37 pm

I forgot to consider the composer of the music score. I don't know if they'll go with Saitou Naoki again, since he seems busy with PreCure, but I would definitely like them to try giving a few projects to Takanashi Yasuharu. I really enjoyed Takanashi's composition for the Dragon Ball Kai song Let It Burn, and Takanashi is historically just an amazing composer.

My pipedream choice would, of course, be Sagisu Shirou. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:30 pm
Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pmHere we are at the end of the year of our lord Dende 2023 and people still think online streaming is secondary to traditional television.

I'm speaking about the online streaming in Japan for Sailor Moon Crystal S1/S2 and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold, which were online streaming in websites created by Toei. Also, these two anime have a pretty low animation quality, so it's pretty clear that online streaming hasn't big investment.

If the online streaming happened on big streaming service (like Netflix), I wouldn't expect low quality.
Crystal and Soul of Gold came out in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Back when a lot of people were still watching cable and straight to streaming shows were just starting to get attention with shows like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black
This is still talking from a western perspective. A better example of Streaming in Japan over Broadcast TV would be Terrace House, it streamed and then they aired it on Fuji TV. I hate using that show as an example because it led to the death of Hana Kimura. RIP Hana Kimura.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:44 pm

Thanos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:33 pm Toriyama has the chance to correct a very critical error that GT failed on--please make the child-sized stuff a short, first arc thing and then return everything else to normal, post-Super goodness. I think everyone is assuming this is a fundamental part of the series as a whole but I don't think that's been confirmed. Maybe it's just a silly marketing gimmick to sell the series.
It's not a critical error at all but an intended plot element (Goku didn't have any problem being a kid again and prefered to just grow up naturally again), and Toriyama really liked Goku becoming a kid again. He's that kinda guy who prefers silly comedy over long drawn out fights, probably even more so now.

GT didn't fail, stop spouting lies already. Most of other series on this planet would love to be as popular as GT is, even over 3 decades later.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:48 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 pm
Extreme_kai wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:01 pm I still think the premise is dumb and played out. The whole idea that children want to see other children as heroes is ill-informed to me. I know as a child I always preferred adult characters or when the child character grew up. I will say, that it's a tad bit more interesting that at least we get to see Vegeta and the others as kids. Still, why is it always the "turn into a kid's" wish? I mean sure, maybe you can't wish for Goku and the others to die, but how about wishing for them to be infants, or hell, even old geriatrics would at least be a new spin on the idea.
I don't think the theory that children want to see other children heroes is so ill-informed. In my case, I really like children heroes as a kid.

That said, I think the reason to turn the characters into kids is because they don't want the character to continue aging. After all, that's the reason why Super never went beyond Z Epilogur.
I think it's ill-informed because they believe it's what is necessary to keep children engaged, which is why Gotenks and eternally child-like Goten and Trunks were a thing. Future Trunks was 1000 times more interesting to me than Goten/Trunk/Gotenks. I can understand kid Gohan to an extent, but at least he was much more than a kid character to be marketed toward other kids. I can't say the same for Goten and Trunks in Super, they are just there to fill in a kid quota and do absolutely nothing. One Piece is insanely popular among children in Japan, and it can keep kids engaged without a single main kid character.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:44 pm
Thanos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:33 pm Toriyama has the chance to correct a very critical error that GT failed on--please make the child-sized stuff a short, first arc thing and then return everything else to normal, post-Super goodness. I think everyone is assuming this is a fundamental part of the series as a whole but I don't think that's been confirmed. Maybe it's just a silly marketing gimmick to sell the series.
It's not a critical error at all but an intended plot element (Goku didn't have any problem being a kid again and prefered to just grow up naturally again), and Toriyama really liked Goku becoming a kid again. He's that kinda guy who prefers silly comedy over long drawn out fights, probably even more so now.

GT didn't fail, stop spouting lies already. Most of other series on this planet would love to be as popular as GT is, even over 3 decades later.
I would modify this to ESPECIALLY years later. The ratings for GT are ratings even the highest rated TV shows can only dream of nowadays.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:42 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:00 pm So this is basically Dragon Ball Babies. Sigh... I'll give it a try, but the concept to me sounds so boring. There is so much stuff they could do in this universe, so many loose threads they've teased us with without a hint of intention to actually follow through on them. Turning everyone into babies is one of those bottom of the barrel ideas you use when you can't think of anything better to do. Why is THIS the thing to get so much visual polish? This is all very confusing to me.
Other than "the gang is magically turned back into kids" we don't actually know anything about the plot of the series, so I'm not sure why you're acting like the full-scope of the series is fully laid out now.
I said that I would give it a shot, but this premise does not seem promising. It feels like they've been throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, as if they didn't already have a back catalog of interesting stories set up. I remember being optimistic after Battle of Gods, but they've done practically nothing with the world building that movie set up for Super.

They're like, "What next? How about we bring Frieza back? People like Frieza. Okay. Now how about a tournament? Now let's bring Future Trunks back. Now we'll have a BIGGER tournament. Uhh... We're running low on ideas. Better slow down and do movies again. Okay. Now let's canonize Broly! Everyone loves Broly! Now let's rehash the Android saga! What next? Uhh... Everyone is babies!"

Seriously. It feels like Toriyama is trolling us. We have twelve universes to work with and we've barely left Earth. Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing? This is comical levels of disorganized.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Daima" Announced for Fall 2024

Post by super michael » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:00 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:21 pm Don't know how to react right now... Animation looks pretty good, but why take such a lousy concept from GT (revert the main character into a child) to all cast?
Everyone got turned into kids, however Goten and Trunks got turned into babies.

I can't wait for the new anime, it looks like it is going to be good.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:00 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm Seriously. It feels like Toriyama is trolling us. We have twelve universes to work with and we've barely left Earth. Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing? This is comical levels of disorganized.
I can see why Toriyama is making millions, and has many fans all over the world, and you don't.