Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:33 pm

I think the only stress will be having to endure Super's widows for a year saying that the only thing WE wanted and needed was Moro and Granolla animated :lol:
No seriously, no offense, I understand the frustration, but man, if you want Moro and Granolla so bad, if you think these two arcs are so damn good, then go revisit them in the manga, go read it again, that's it
Don't get me wrong, I love these two arcs, but I don't understand why poeple are willing so much to see a story that they already know what's gonna happen, I'm more hyped for Daima because it's a new story, I don't know what's going to happen, ah seriously it's the same shit from before the release of Super Hero, the cicle will never end, when they finally get Super 2, trust me, they will still be complaining, not going to touch this subject again, these people really get on my nerves.
Psajdak wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:03 pm
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:42 pm For now the only thing that has me really worried is the timeline placement... is it crazy to think that this actually ignores Super completely and that it will take place right after the Boo Saga?
I don't see the problem in people discussing the timeline, let's remember that there was also a rumour about the series taking place before Battle of Gods.
There are worse things in life.
Eeeeh..no? Not for me at least, everything else in the trailer looks perfectly fine for me, I'm worried about the timeline placement because I just want them to move forward and stopping limiting the new stories to the 10 years before EoZ already, get us out of this limbo please.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:35 pm

I'd much rather have quality over quantity in any product.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:45 pm

This looks great! Dragon Ball is best for me when it's silly, fun and full of adventure, and this looks like a really high-effort project.

The thing is, I get the impression Toriyama is being an absolute troll here. Everyone's wondering, "is this after Super, after Eoz, does it fit somewhere within Super?". There seems to be a big emphasis on Buu era stuff here, and no characters exclusive so Super/BoG/RoF are around....

Guys, Toriyama has set this after the Buu arc instead of Super. He's GT'd Super and instead gone down the route of the Demon Realm and Makaioshin, like people talked about for years before BoG was a thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:49 pm

Oh, right. A Fall release means a year of waiting. Alright, place your bets on when we are going to get more news. They said more to come on some event taking place in January I guess, but we'll see. More importantly, what about after that? I think we are not gonna hear anything until around August. A little bit over half a year of silence, because that's marketing these days.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:58 pmDragon Ball's problems are not the kind that can be found most anywhere else over there.
What?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:51 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:27 pm Not gonna happen, but thanks for your opinion I guess...
Good luck with the year-long wait then, I can only hope it isn't too agonizing for you.
Only thing that might alleviate that is the rather quick passage of time these days.
Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:49 pm What?
It's not as much a "Japan" thing as it is a Toriyama/Dragon Ball thing. Especially in the case of hair colour. And many other areas.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:51 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:42 pm If that's Piccolo's house, then most likely is after Super Hero I guess.
https://youtu.be/CYcrmsdZuyw?t=147
It is? Doesn't look like it for me, does it even have a door? Was it confirmed?

Also I'm surprised that basically everyone forgot about the rumour that the series would take place before Battle of Gods
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:56 pm

Fizzer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:45 pm This looks great! Dragon Ball is best for me when it's silly, fun and full of adventure, and this looks like a really high-effort project.

The thing is, I get the impression Toriyama is being an absolute troll here. Everyone's wondering, "is this after Super, after Eoz, does it fit somewhere within Super?". There seems to be a big emphasis on Buu era stuff here, and no characters exclusive so Super/BoG/RoF are around....

Guys, Toriyama has set this after the Buu arc instead of Super. He's GT'd Super and instead gone down the route of the Demon Realm and Makaioshin, like people talked about for years before BoG was a thing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly, I think Toriyama himself always really wanted to write hilarious, silly stories, and not limit himself to stuff like canon.

For what is worth, Daima IS probably Super 2, but not exactly what most people expected.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:01 pm

No, Daima has no relation to Super, what we can say at best for now is that it is its own thing, maybe a side story, but unlike Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku, it has its own brand.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:09 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:01 pm No, Daima has no relation to Super, what we can say at best for now is that it is its own thing, maybe a side story, but unlike Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku, it has its own brand.
If Daima wants to be its own thing, so be it. The last thing I want is for Daima to pick elements from Super while disregarding the other elements of Super just to plug the holes in its own narrative. Like... just set Daima either right after the end of the Majin Boo arc or after the end of the Super Hero movie, don't be so wishy-washy about it. Don't try to have your cake and eat it too.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:20 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:33 pm No seriously, no offense, I understand the frustration, but man, if you want Moro and Granolla so bad, if you think these two arcs are so damn good, then go revisit them in the manga, go read it again, that's it
Don't get me wrong, I love these two arcs, but I don't understand why poeple are willing so much to see a story that they already know what's gonna happen.
In my case, I wanted to see them in animation form. I wanted to hear voices for the characters from those sagas, Japanese and LATAM. I wanted to see how things would differ from the manga as they did in prior Super sagas.

Animation format is more of my thing even if mangas often times might be superior in storytelling.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:24 pm

If Ajay's right about this series having a "JRPG feel" then I am all in. I'm already sold on its art and animation. But I won't lie, I did have a knee-jerk reaction where I was bummed out because this series looked like a Teen Titans Go! situation. I also really want Super to eventually return and adapt the last two manga arcs. Regardless, this is more Toriyama Dragon Ball, which is almost always a good thing for me.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:30 pm

Torturephile wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:20 pm
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:33 pm No seriously, no offense, I understand the frustration, but man, if you want Moro and Granolla so bad, if you think these two arcs are so damn good, then go revisit them in the manga, go read it again, that's it
Don't get me wrong, I love these two arcs, but I don't understand why poeple are willing so much to see a story that they already know what's gonna happen.
In my case, I wanted to see them in animation form. I wanted to hear voices for the characters from those sagas, Japanese and LATAM. I wanted to see how things would differ from the manga as they did in prior Super sagas.

Animation format is more of my thing even if mangas often times might be superior in storytelling.
Would also be nice for consistency's sake to have manga arcs adapted into the anime. That's how anime usually works, with a manga coming first, then the anime adaptation. But we have this weird system where we have a manga and an anime each doing their own thing, with Toriyama involved with both, but only the latter carrying any legitimacy when it comes to video games and merch.

BernardoCairo

Post by BernardoCairo » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:33 pm

I really, really like the look and feel of this trailer. I think it looks like a blend of the original Dragon Ball manga and Toriyama's works from the 2000s onwards. The emphasis on unique locations tells me that, among the character designs. It feels like something Toriyama would design (unlike what we saw from Toei and Toyotaro the past few years)...
I prefer the OG Dragon Ball over any other part of the series, so I'm really excited! I hope the intro is Makafushigi Adventure again.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm

Something I noticed upon rewatching the trailer was the Buu arc flashbacks at the beginning and the multiple shots of Babidi. Whoever those new characters are at the start are probably tied to Babidi in some way.

Also, just the thought of Chikashi Kubota reanimating iconic Buu arc moments the same way he did at the beginning of Super Hero gets me so excited. Those brief shots we saw looked incredible.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:36 pm

Now that I noticed, I was indeed wrong about some of the characters having their standard designs from Super TV

The only thing borrowed from Super that I could notice in this trailer was Mr. Satan's design (the red cape), the others have new designs or mixed designs recycled from Z (Yamcha for example has his Boo Saga design but with long hair)

And Vegeta switching back to his Cell Saga suit is something established by the 2008 OVA

So I think that so far, we can assume that it takes place after that OVA

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 pm Given Super's utter refusal to age anyone who wasn't Gohan and Videl, de-aging the cast by magic was a pretty logical next step.
In hindsight it feels kinda obvious lol.

I wonder if this will be used to have the characters be de-aged for an arc or two, only for them to be aged up again but younger than before, since Toriyama really doesn't seem like he wants older characters around and this would allow DB to move past EoZ but without everyone being old, that way the stories don't have to be contained by EoZ anymore.
YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:27 pm YES!!! I rater have Dragon Ball come back with half as good the animation if that means half the wait, I reater have Super 2 have the TOP animation with some bad looking episodes and some good ones if that means I dont have to wait 4 years or wathever is going to take, Dragon Ball is not just animation and the important parts always look good, Z had a lot of bad looking episodes and is still the number 1 Dragon Ball series for manny.

People are too fixated on how things look these days. science the wano arc in One Piece fans want that animation for DB, and I understand not wanting DB to look completely horrybad, but Dragon Ball is a lot more than pretty animation, and I rather see the story progress and have it on air with the old Super animation, than Die of old age before it gets animated just to look at the pretty colors and movement.
I'm pretty sure that if DB's first episodes looked as hilariously bad as Super's first episodes people would complain back then too.

I understand the frustration of waiting, but ultimately it's better for a product to take its time on production, because while having bad animation happens, well, isn't it better when it doesn't have bad animation?

Not that I'm saying you have to like it, just try to understand better why a product taking its time can be a good thing.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:30 pm Would also be nice for consistency's sake to have manga arcs adapted into the anime. That's how anime usually works, with a manga coming first, then the anime adaptation. But we have this weird system where we have a manga and an anime each doing their own thing, with Toriyama involved with both, but only the latter carrying any legitimacy when it comes to video games and merch.
I wonder why exactly DB's manga exclusive stuff just can't be adapted to other medium until the anime uses 'em...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

BernardoCairo

Post by BernardoCairo » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:40 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm Whoever those new characters are at the start are probably tied to Babidi in some way.
If these guys are demons they probably know who Babidi is. He was linked to both Boo and Dabura, who are demons (maybe not the same type of demons as these, but still). Maybe the defeat of Boo and Babidi is what made these guys feel threatened. As King Cold said, Boo is tough. He has a reputation and defeating him is notable I guess. In doing so, they had to resort to teamwork. Perhaps that's why the guy's turned everyone into a kid, as they're all potential threats...

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:46 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm Something I noticed upon rewatching the trailer was the Buu arc flashbacks at the beginning and the multiple shots of Babidi. Whoever those new characters are at the start are probably tied to Babidi in some way.

Also, just the thought of Chikashi Kubota reanimating iconic Buu arc moments the same way he did at the beginning of Super Hero gets me so excited. Those brief shots we saw looked incredible.
Wait...a second....man
In Super Hero they made the same thing, but with the Cell Saga....that means.....OH NO MAN :lol:
Let's not think much about this!

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:47 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:58 pm
Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:43 pm So the aesthetic and overall vibe is nothing like what your average gymbro expects or wants from Dragon Ball?
This is probably the best part of it, the franchise continues to leave them behind.
The elitism on this forum is so cringe sometimes.

Do you really feel so superior to these "lesser DeeBeeZee" fans that you take delight in them not getting more of what they enjoy from Dragon Ball? If so that's quite toxic and pathetic honestly.