Russian dub cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Russian dub cast

Post by Tian » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:32 am

I decided to share a little personal investigation of mine about one of the many international dubs of the Dragon Ball franchise: The Russian dub.

History

Since I've ever heard about Russian dub and watched it years ago, I've been interested into looking for its cast but nothing was found in internet. Not even in Kinopoisk nor Mirdub, where Russian dubbing casts are usually identified and posted.

So, I decided to start this investigation, using my limited knowledge in Russian dubbing to try to identify the cast members.

As any dubbing investigation of mine, I always make sure to note down some hints first:
- The first hint is that Russian dubbing was recorded in Moscu (not an obvious fact because Russian dubs are recorded in two cities: Moscu and St. Petersburg and 2x2 has aired dubs and voice-overs recorded in both cities)
- The second hint is that it was dubbed in Pythagor (known for dubbing shows and movies for Cartoon Network and Boomerang. So the cast members of Z are regulary heard in those dubs)
- The third hint is that the voice cast is small (Russian TV dubs often have 4-6 voice actors.)
Cast Members

* Nikita Prozorovskiy: Prozorovskiy is one of the most known voice actors in Russia and his voice is pretty recognizable. Not to mention he's a regular in dubs recorded in Pythagor studio.

* Diomid Vinogradov: He's a regular voice actor and director in Pythagor studio. I've heard him in several dubs like the ones from the Scooby Doo! Movies and certain characters from those dubs do sound like Vegeta and Piccolo.

* Olga Shorokhova: Like Prozorovskiy, Olga's voice is also pretty recognizable. She's known for voicing from little kids of both genders up to adult women. She's also a regular in Pythagor studio.

* Prokhor Chekhovskoy: He's one of the main young sounding choices in Pythagor. Goku has a pretty high voice and nasal voice, which matches with Prokhor's other characters.

Cast Overview

* Prokhor Chekhovskoy - Goku, Oolong, background characters

* Diomid Vinogradov - Vegeta, Piccolo, Master Roshi, Yamcha, Mr. Popo, Gregory, Narrator

* Nikita Prozorovskiy - Raditz, Nappa, Kami, King Yemma, Ox King, Shenron, Tenshinhan, King Kai, Bubbles

* Olga Shorokhova - Gohan, Bulma, Krillin, Chichi, Puar, Yajirobe, Chiaotzu

Edits

EDIT: Yup, there's no longer any doubt that Diomid is both Vegeta and Piccolo. I managed to get samples of dubs from him outside Pythagor and yup, Vegeta and Piccolo's guttural middle aged Russian voices are provided by him. We've got another name in the confirmed cast.

Check it yourselves:
Vegeta's voice: https://youtu.be/2xWfEUFyVos?si=9zEvVAjX-A3Q7SN6
Piccolo's voice: https://youtu.be/p6bYUa2lfP8?si=nrZngMQjYbrNmn8h
Diomid's natural and voice-over voice: https://youtu.be/W8NlaHRtSWo?si=IktQQJNQKp9poX2O (from 0:55)

Also samples from one of the Scooby-Doo dubs:
https://youtu.be/oX1iT5g6Jpg?si=FCgqg_V1QiSFNo3M (His character at 6:12 sounds like a cheerful Vegeta and his another character at 7:06 sounds like a slightly more angry Piccolo)

Now let's go to find out who the heck voiced Goku because it isn't either Mikhail or Daniil Eldarov like the DB Wiki says.

EDIT # 2: Added Roshi to Diomid Vinogradov's roles in the dub.

EDIT # 3: Added Narrator to Diomid Vinogradov's roles in the dub. Yeah, he's likely to have directed the dub.

EDIT #4: Watched some episodes and identified more roles. As you can notice, Goku's VA only voiced a handful of roles while most of the male roles were voiced by either Diomid Vinogradov (Looks like we've got a Russian Chris Sabat here) and Nikita Prozorovskiy (and we also have a Russian Ed Marcus). Olga Shorokhova seems to be only woman in the cast.

I also removed the potential / unconfirmed cast members section to avoid confusions and replaced it with a cast overview.

EDIT #5 : Added Goku's VA. You can check it yourselves from this video:
https://youtu.be/mM8l_gGTng8?si=jXtfvXj9PwTKja0e (Prokhor's voices are at the beginning, you can notice how high pitched and nasal his voice is, just like Goku)
Added more roles to other actors and yup, that's pretty much the whole cast.
Last edited by Tian on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Russian dub cast

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:12 am

Was it ever said why Z was dubbed in Russia instead of Kai? I always found it curious why 2x2, Pythagor or whoever commissioned this dub went for Z, as Kai was supposed to be the new hotness in 2011.

I'd be interested to know if this dub aired in Ukraine too. Apparently there used to be a channel there called QTV that aired anime with Russian dubs.

I believe Super was dubbed too, or at least the first 46 episodes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:23 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:12 am Was it ever said why Z was dubbed in Russia instead of Kai? I always found it curious why 2x2, Pythagor or whoever commissioned this dub went for Z, as Kai was supposed to be the new hotness in 2011.

I'd be interested to know if this dub aired in Ukraine too. Apparently there used to be a channel there called QTV that aired anime with Russian dubs.

I believe Super was dubbed too, or at least the first 46 episodes.
1) If I recall correctly, Planet DeAgostini (the distributor of the anime series in Russia) got it from Plus Licens (the license holder of the franchise in Europe at the time)

http://www.brand-licensing.com/DocPage.aspx?DID=14994

And since Plus Licens was offering between Z and GT, they took Z.

2) I'd like to believe it was also aired in Ukraine and other CIS countries but the information is scarce.

Apparently, 2x2 was also available in those territories but I'm not sure whether it still was at the time Dragon Ball Z aired.

3) I couldn't find or watch the DBS voice-over but I recall someone pointing out that 2x2 comissioned it from a fandub group rather a professional dubbing studio.

That's sad.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:51 pm

Tian wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:23 amI couldn't find or watch the DBS voice-over but I recall someone pointing out that 2x2 comissioned it from a fandub group rather a professional dubbing studio.
I had found this clip from 2x2 in the past:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpVyi6ABP0

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:19 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:51 pm
Tian wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:23 amI couldn't find or watch the DBS voice-over but I recall someone pointing out that 2x2 comissioned it from a fandub group rather a professional dubbing studio.
I had found this clip from 2x2 in the past:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpVyi6ABP0
Thanks man!

In fact, I just did a little Google search and I could find the whole 2x2 voice-over. I wouldn't have found it without your help :)

I've seen a bit of the first episode and surprisingly, Goku's being voice-over'd by a woman.

Also, the way they're voice-overing the characters doesn't sound like a professional voice-over should sound (I know because I watched a lot of Russian dubs and voice-overs), so it was true that 2x2 hired a fandubbing group for Super. As I said before, that's sad.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:54 pm

Sorry for the double post. But I've got good news. I finally could identify Goku's Russian VA.

Maybe this may interest Kei because Goku's Russian VA also voiced Oolong in a way that resembles Naoki Tatsuta as they have mentioned
Kei17:
I don't know the name of the actor, but Oolong in the Russian dub sounds incredibly close to Naoki Tatsuta.

Goku's VA is Prokhor Chekhovskoy, an actor who appears in a lot of Pythagor dubs.

I'll update the main post with Prokhor and more roles for Diomid, Nikita and Olga.