Petition to mark March 8th as "International Dragon Ball Day"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Petition to mark March 8th as "International Dragon Ball Day"

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:19 am

Not usually a petition guy, but it's easy to see how much Dragon Ball has positively impacted the lives of millions, as we've seen with the honours even world governments like the French, Chinese and Brazillians have shown, and of course, as always the love from Latin America has been outstanding.

So heres our chance to have March 8th, the day it became public knowledge we lost the great Akira Toriyama recognized worldwide as "International Dragon Ball Day" by signing here:
Daniel Martinez wrote:

The proposal to recognize March 8 as Dragon Ball Day affects millions of fans of the series around the world, as well as the creative and cultural community. Dragon Ball has been an integral part of the childhood and life of many, inspiring values ​​of friendship, courage and self-improvement. This initiative would honor not only Akira Toriyama's legacy, but also the deep emotional connection that fans have with the series.

What is at stake is the opportunity to formally recognize Dragon Ball's cultural impact and lasting influence on society. Establishing March 8 as Dragon Ball Day would send a clear message about the importance of creativity, entertainment, and pop culture in people's lives. Additionally, this designation would provide a special day to celebrate and reflect on the values ​​and lessons conveyed by the series.

The time to act is now because Dragon Ball continues to be a powerful cultural force, with an active and dedicated fan base. Officially recognizing March 8 as Dragon Ball Day would be a significant step toward preserving its legacy and promoting the importance of art and storytelling in modern society. Furthermore, this measure would help keep Akira Toriyama's memory and his contribution to the world of entertainment alive.

Translated by Google
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Petition to mark March 8th as "International Dragon Ball Day"

Post by Adamant » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 am

...not only does it feel rather morbid to mark a day we learned of the death of an author by commemmorating it as a day in honor of ONE of the franchises he created (screw the other stuff he made, and the guy himself, apparently), but... there already IS an "international Dragonball Day", May 9th, so exactly what purpose is making a second one supposed to serve? Did this Daniel Martinez guy just not know about that day or something?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:36 am

Adamant wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 am ...not only does it feel rather morbid to mark a day we learned of the death of an author by commemmorating it as a day in honor of ONE of the franchises he created (screw the other stuff he made, and the guy himself, apparently), but... there already IS an "international Dragonball Day", May 9th, so exactly what purpose is making a second one supposed to serve? Did this Daniel Martinez guy just not know about that day or something?
9th of May is Goku day, not international Dragon Ball day. I agree it should have been called "Toriyama international day" instead. Morbid or not, I think it's good that in the future it will be a day that was remembered. However, I think either march 1st, of Toriyama's birthdate would have been better dates.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:36 am
9th of May is Goku day, not international Dragon Ball day.
Same difference

I agree it should have been called "Toriyama international day" instead. Morbid or not, I think it's good that in the future it will be a day that was remembered. However, I think either march 1st, of Toriyama's birthdate would have been better dates.
Toriyama's birthday would make more sense instead of being needlessly macabre.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:19 pm

Yeah it's weird how people get celebrated on the day they died. Same goes for Elvis, who gets celebrated in August, while he born in January. To me, it comes across as celebrating his death, instead of his life.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:03 pm

There’s already an international holiday in March 8th, and Dragon Ball already has its own international holiday.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:57 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:46 pm This day has nothing to do with either Toriyama or Dragon Ball. It's just the day we found out he died 1 week ago.
Yes. A terrible petition.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:07 pm

This is ghoulish.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:39 pm

Let's keep it at May 9th, shall we?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:48 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:39 pm Let's keep it at May 9th, shall we?
Agreed

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

We already have an official Piccolo Gokû Day in May 9th, moving it to March 8th seems of bad taste to me.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

March 8th is International Women's Day. Let's keep it at that
The world is your's.

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:49 pm

It saddens me to see that 80% of the people who support the March 8 date, take the opportunity to say something against Women's Day, which makes me think that it's not a sincere petition for the love of Dragon Ball, they're looking to fight another thing...
Without wanting to get into that discussion, I'm definitely convinced that Goku day (May 9) or Tori's birthday (April 5) are better dates to celebrate.